From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: OCZ Vertex
Date: 20 Jul 2023 10:07:47 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:07 UTC

Remember these? Very popular in their day, I think it was the first SSD I
bought (although that may have been an Intel 180) and it has just died on
me. I was doing some sorting and tried to copy a heap of stuff but it
doesn't want to know so another one for the bin.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Though no-one can go back and make a new start, everyone can start from

Re: OCZ Vertex

<u9b1nv$2lh4r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3561&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3561

From: SPAMian_jones_01@yahoo.co.uk (IanJ)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: OCZ Vertex
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:19:43 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: ronin <ronin@fugu.openbsd.amsterdam>
 by: IanJ - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:19 UTC

Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

> Remember these? Very popular in their day, I think it was the first SSD I
> bought (although that may have been an Intel 180) and it has just died on
> me. I was doing some sorting and tried to copy a heap of stuff but it
> doesn't want to know so another one for the bin.

How long did they last? I have only recently started using SSD so it would
be nice to have an idea of longevity vs mechanical drives.

--

IanJ

gopher://gopher.icu

Re: OCZ Vertex

<xn0o4kcc12gvzn001@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3562&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3562

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 20 Jul 2023 10:59:36 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:59 UTC

On 20/07/2023 in message <u9b1nv$2lh4r$1@dont-email.me> IanJ wrote:

>Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
>>
>>Remember these? Very popular in their day, I think it was the first SSD I
>>bought (although that may have been an Intel 180) and it has just died on
>>me. I was doing some sorting and tried to copy a heap of stuff but it
>>doesn't want to know so another one for the bin.
>>

>How long did they last? I have only recently started using SSD so it would
>be nice to have an idea of longevity vs mechanical drives.

The OCZ Vertex was released about 2010 and I think the Intel about the
same. My 2 x Intels are still going strong.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.

Re: OCZ Vertex

<G9j*OuKlz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3563&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3563

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 20 Jul 2023 12:04:00 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 11:04 UTC

IanJ <SPAMian_jones_01@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
> >
> > Remember these? Very popular in their day, I think it was the first SSD I
> > bought (although that may have been an Intel 180) and it has just died on
> > me. I was doing some sorting and tried to copy a heap of stuff but it
> > doesn't want to know so another one for the bin.
> >

> How long did they last? I have only recently started using SSD so it would
> be nice to have an idea of longevity vs mechanical drives.

The first gen OCZs had awful infant mortality:
https://hardforum.com/threads/ocz-ssds-why-are-they-so-bad.1806823/

That's no indicator of the longevity of other brands. It's more of a
miracle that it lasted so long.

Theo
(mine lasted about 3 months)

Re: OCZ Vertex

<kht2f8Fdd24U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3564&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3564

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 20 Jul 2023 15:34:00 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 15:34 UTC

On 20 Jul 2023 at 11:19:43 BST, "IanJ" <SPAMian_jones_01@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
>>
>> Remember these? Very popular in their day, I think it was the first SSD I
>> bought (although that may have been an Intel 180) and it has just died on
>> me. I was doing some sorting and tried to copy a heap of stuff but it
>> doesn't want to know so another one for the bin.
>>

> How long did they last? I have only recently started using SSD so it would
> be nice to have an idea of longevity vs mechanical drives.

Mine's still going as a TV's pvm storage.

Do not worry about SSD storage lifespan unless you are filling and
clearing the drive completely on a daily basis.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
You can't get a leopard to change his spots. In fact, you
can't /really/ get a leopard to appreciate the notion that

Re: OCZ Vertex

<u9bnlc$2pn2r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3565&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3565

From: i.love@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:33:48 +0100
 by: SH - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 16:33 UTC

On 20/07/2023 16:34, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 20 Jul 2023 at 11:19:43 BST, "IanJ" <SPAMian_jones_01@yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Remember these? Very popular in their day, I think it was the first SSD I
>>> bought (although that may have been an Intel 180) and it has just died on
>>> me. I was doing some sorting and tried to copy a heap of stuff but it
>>> doesn't want to know so another one for the bin.
>>>

>> How long did they last? I have only recently started using SSD so it would
>> be nice to have an idea of longevity vs mechanical drives.
>
> Mine's still going as a TV's pvm storage.
>
> Do not worry about SSD storage lifespan unless you are filling and
> clearing the drive completely on a daily basis.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

I had wondered about using 4 TB SSDs in my CCTV recorder instead of HDDs.

Each 4 TB disc will hold 17 days footage and then gets overwritten 68
days later so the SSD would get overwritten 5 times a year.

My DVR can take up to 5 of these so that gives me 85 days footage
coverage from my 8 cameras.

Re: OCZ Vertex

<khtai2FekpmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3566&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3566

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 20 Jul 2023 17:52:02 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:52 UTC

On 20 Jul 2023 at 17:33:48 BST, "SH" <i.love@spam.com> wrote:

> On 20/07/2023 16:34, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>> On 20 Jul 2023 at 11:19:43 BST, "IanJ" <SPAMian_jones_01@yahoo.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> How long did they last? I have only recently started using SSD so it would
>>> be nice to have an idea of longevity vs mechanical drives.
>>
>> Mine's still going as a TV's pvm storage.
>>
>> Do not worry about SSD storage lifespan unless you are filling and
>> clearing the drive completely on a daily basis.
>>
>> Cheers - Jaimie
>

> I had wondered about using 4 TB SSDs in my CCTV recorder instead of HDDs.
>
> Each 4 TB disc will hold 17 days footage and then gets overwritten 68
> days later so the SSD would get overwritten 5 times a year.
>
> My DVR can take up to 5 of these so that gives me 85 days footage
> coverage from my 8 cameras.

Crucial say their 4TB MX500 will take at least 1000tb, so that's filled
250 times, so that's 50 years. Even with write-multiplication issues
(minimal in your case, more for small-file people) that's plenty.

Still, even at £160/drive that adds up to a lot for a bit of quiet. Make
sure your DVR chassis isn't noisy all by itself by fans before
committing a big wadge of cash!

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Some people think that noise abatement should be a higher
priority for ATC. I say safety is noise abatement. You have no

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / OCZ Vertex