From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Shocking: Statistics of Cycling Accidents
Date: 5 May 2024 11:55:57 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 5 May 2024 11:55 UTC

Statistics of Cycling Accidents

50% of crashes are a single bicycle accident (HOPE)
21% of crashes are a bicycle-bicycle crash (HOPE)

[HOPE can be found at
<http://www.bicycle-helmets.eu/images/downloads/COST-Action-TU1101_final-report.pdf>][not
secure]

[HOPE: Helmet OPtimisation Europe]

[Graphic on p26 shows cyclists are their own worst enemy]

--
Spike

Re: Shocking: Statistics of Cycling Accidents

<l9pmlbFtqg9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38226&group=uk.rec.cycling#38226

From: JNugent73@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Shocking: Statistics of Cycling Accidents
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 16:24:27 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 5 May 2024 15:24 UTC

On 05/05/2024 12:55 pm, Spike wrote:

> Statistics of Cycling Accidents
>
> 50% of crashes are a single bicycle accident (HOPE)
> 21% of crashes are a bicycle-bicycle crash (HOPE)
>
> [HOPE can be found at
> <http://www.bicycle-helmets.eu/images/downloads/COST-Action-TU1101_final-report.pdf>][not
> secure]
>
> [HOPE: Helmet OPtimisation Europe]
>
> [Graphic on p26 shows cyclists are their own worst enemy]

It says that only 13% of collisions involving chav-bikes and their
riders involve motor vehicles.

And a proportion of that 13% will in any case involve chavs riding their
chav-bikes into parked and unattended vehicles or into stationary
vehicles waiting in queues, at traffic lights or Give Way junctions, etc.

It also says that less then 10% of chav-bike collisions are reported to
the police. That is quite intuitive, when many/most chavs ride their
chav-bikes away as fast as they can after hitting a pedestrian or
another vehicle.

Re: Shocking: Statistics of Cycling Accidents

<l9pn6lFtsrhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38228&group=uk.rec.cycling#38228

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 5 May 2024 15:33:41 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 5 May 2024 15:33 UTC

JNugent <JNugent73@mail.com> wrote:
> On 05/05/2024 12:55 pm, Spike wrote:
>>
>> Statistics of Cycling Accidents
>>
>> 50% of crashes are a single bicycle accident (HOPE)
>> 21% of crashes are a bicycle-bicycle crash (HOPE)
>>
>> [HOPE can be found at
>> <http://www.bicycle-helmets.eu/images/downloads/COST-Action-TU1101_final-report.pdf>][not
>> secure]
>>
>> [HOPE: Helmet OPtimisation Europe]
>>
>> [Graphic on p26 shows cyclists are their own worst enemy]
>
> It says that only 13% of collisions involving chav-bikes and their
> riders involve motor vehicles.
>
> And a proportion of that 13% will in any case involve chavs riding their
> chav-bikes into parked and unattended vehicles or into stationary
> vehicles waiting in queues, at traffic lights or Give Way junctions, etc.
>
> It also says that less then 10% of chav-bike collisions are reported to
> the police. That is quite intuitive, when many/most chavs ride their
> chav-bikes away as fast as they can after hitting a pedestrian or
> another vehicle.

Oh, quite so. That is a very revealing document, and contrasts quite
starkly with the Gospel According to Cyclists that gets trotted out on
every conceivable occasion.

--
Spike

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Shocking: Statistics of Cycling Accidents