Just when you thought you were winning the rat race, along comes a faster rat!!

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Freely

SubjectAuthor
* FreelyAndy Burns
+- Re: FreelyJeff Layman
+- Re: FreelyWilf
`* Re: FreelyRoderick Stewart
 `* Re: FreelyAndy Burns
  `* Re: FreelyRoderick Stewart
   +* Re: FreelyAndy Burns
   |+- Re: FreelyRoderick Stewart
   |`- Re: FreelyJim Lesurf
   `- Re: FreelyChris J Dixon

1
Freely

<l9rq66F74dvU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43296&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43296

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Freely
Date: Mon, 6 May 2024 11:36:54 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 6 May 2024 10:36 UTC

Is Freely going to be available on existing TVs/STBs/Phones/Tablets/etc,
or just shiny new TVs?

Re: Freely

<v1afra$2hgt3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43299&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43299

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Freely
Date: Mon, 6 May 2024 12:44:42 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Mon, 6 May 2024 11:44 UTC

On 06/05/2024 11:36, Andy Burns wrote:
> Is Freely going to be available on existing TVs/STBs/Phones/Tablets/etc,
> or just shiny new TVs?

Perhaps the latter, but it's not clear. The Freely webpages aren't
exactly informative, and the only thing they refer to is a "Freely
button on the remote". Quite how it differs from the "Netflix" button on
my remote calling up the Netflix app I don't know, and why such an app
can't be made available for current TVs I don't understand. And, if
Freely could be made available via an internet webpage, why couldn't
that page be cast to a current TV?

You have to go to
<https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2024/freely-launches-landmark-collaboration-between-uk-broadcasters>
to find the statement "...Freely is available through the next
generation of smart TVs now on sale in stores and online". So that
sounds like current TVs won't have it. However, further down that page
it notes:

"It has also been announced that TiVo, a subsidiary of Xperi Inc., will
be offering Freely as part of its TiVo OS platform. Freely will run on
smart TVs powered by TiVo, providing consumers with choice and a simple
navigation to discover content quickly and efficiently without the
burden of walled gardens. Initially Freely will be available via Vestel
smart TVs Powered by TiVo. Vestel was previously announced as a Freely
smart TV partner, with Vestel Freely TVs due to launch in the coming weeks.

More details around Freely will be announced in the coming weeks,
including additional smart TV, operating system and content partners."

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H65dEJ01YR8>
I didn't watch the video, but some of the comments are interesting...

--
Jeff

Re: Freely

<v1afrc$346l$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43300&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43300

From: wilf21@is.invalid (Wilf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 6 May 2024 12:44:45 +0100
 by: Wilf - Mon, 6 May 2024 11:44 UTC

On 06/05/2024 at 11:36, Andy Burns wrote:
> Is Freely going to be available on existing TVs/STBs/Phones/Tablets/etc,
> or just shiny new TVs?

From what I've heard, from the outset only on certain new TVs. Whether
Freely app will be added to existing STBs and other devices in the
future is not known. The number of channels will be very limited at
first, I believe and will need to go hand in hand with an aerial to get
everything. Recording (or perhaps bookmarking of programmes you want to
watch) will not allow ad skipping which, if true, is a very large minus.

--
Wilf

Re: Freely

<bl8i3jhl5ea7p188dpev4ei8bpqers91dp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43301&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43301

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 06 May 2024 19:36:26 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Mon, 6 May 2024 18:36 UTC

On Mon, 6 May 2024 11:36:54 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Is Freely going to be available on existing TVs/STBs/Phones/Tablets/etc,
>or just shiny new TVs?

The website doesn't make this clear, and it's even less clear what it
will offer that isn't available already using an Amazon stick or
similar.

It looks as though it will be a mixture of "live" and catchup
services, "live" meaning the output of existing broadcast stations but
online instead of via an aerial.

If an app becomes available from the Amazon appstore I'll probably
take a look to see what's on offer. I expect it to be everything I've
already got but with a different presentation. Essentially just a
glorified branding exercise. I'm not excited at all.

Rod.

Re: Freely

<l9smlmFbj9vU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43302&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43302

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 6 May 2024 19:42:59 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 6 May 2024 18:42 UTC

Roderick Stewart wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Is Freely going to be available on existing TVs/STBs/Phones/Tablets/etc,
>> or just shiny new TVs?
>
> The website doesn't make this clear, and it's even less clear what it
> will offer that isn't available already using an Amazon stick or
> similar.

If it was "Freeview Play" that actually worked, that'd be nice ...

Re: Freely

<ssqj3j9aofothmj3rlpck903u2ajeidlnc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43303&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43303

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 07 May 2024 10:04:54 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Tue, 7 May 2024 09:04 UTC

On Mon, 6 May 2024 19:42:59 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Roderick Stewart wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> Is Freely going to be available on existing TVs/STBs/Phones/Tablets/etc,
>>> or just shiny new TVs?
>>
>> The website doesn't make this clear, and it's even less clear what it
>> will offer that isn't available already using an Amazon stick or
>> similar.
>
>If it was "Freeview Play" that actually worked, that'd be nice ...

It might include the equivalent of that, though personally I can't see
the point of going back to watching TV programmes according to
somebody else's broadcast schedule instead of choosing my own. Even if
it included the means to record the scheduled programmes locally in
order to watch them in my own time, it would seem like a retrograde
step when online streaming already provides the means to watch
recorded programmes in my own time without me even needing to make the
recordings myself.

Of course, as the law stands at present, any access to broadcast
programmes, including online, would require a TV licence, whilst
catchup services (with the exception of iPlayer) do not. I wonder if
this was part of their thinking?

Rod.

Re: Freely

<l9u9olFjsidU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43304&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43304

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 7 May 2024 10:15:01 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 7 May 2024 09:15 UTC

Roderick Stewart wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> If it was "Freeview Play" that actually worked, that'd be nice ...
>
> It might include the equivalent of that, though personally I can't see
> the point of going back to watching TV programmes according to
> somebody else's broadcast schedule instead of choosing my own.

I thought the idea of Freeview Play was that you could simply scroll the
EPG up to 30(?) days into the past, and just as easily stream a
programme you've missed as watch one that's on now?

I've only tried one Freeview Play device and it didn't work anything
like that ...

Re: Freely

<0i5k3j137dfp5uv8p1blpvf4nt0crugbch@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43305&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43305

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 07 May 2024 13:03:38 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Tue, 7 May 2024 12:03 UTC

On Tue, 7 May 2024 10:15:01 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>I thought the idea of Freeview Play was that you could simply scroll the
>EPG up to 30(?) days into the past, and just as easily stream a
>programme you've missed as watch one that's on now?

Some of the online catchup services already offer this, or the
equivalent. I think iPlayer is one, and UKTVPlay is another. I'd have
to check because they're all slightly different.

It would be nice if they could all standardise on the same menu style.
Browsing by category is fairly common, or alphabetically by programme
name, and some of the the ones that cover several broadcast channels
also offer browsing by channel, and sometimes by date of transmission.

Rod.

Re: Freely

<50pk3jljs9t4rokojardfkrn823bpfusoo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43306&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43306

From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 07 May 2024 18:27:11 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Tue, 7 May 2024 17:27 UTC

Roderick Stewart wrote:

>On Mon, 6 May 2024 19:42:59 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
>wrote:
>

>>If it was "Freeview Play" that actually worked, that'd be nice ...
>
>It might include the equivalent of that, though personally I can't see
>the point of going back to watching TV programmes according to
>somebody else's broadcast schedule instead of choosing my own. Even if
>it included the means to record the scheduled programmes locally in
>order to watch them in my own time, it would seem like a retrograde
>step when online streaming already provides the means to watch
>recorded programmes in my own time without me even needing to make the
>recordings myself.

The big advantage of recording is the significant saving of time
by avoiding not only adverts, but the constant prefiguring and
recaps ever-present in so many programmes these days.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Freely

<5b5d41c851noise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43307&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43307

From: noise@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 08 May 24 09:00:02 UTC
 by: Jim Lesurf - Wed, 8 May 2024 09:00 UTC

In article <l9u9olFjsidU1@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Roderick Stewart wrote:

> > Andy Burns wrote:
> >
> >> If it was "Freeview Play" that actually worked, that'd be nice ...
> >
> > It might include the equivalent of that, though personally I can't see
> > the point of going back to watching TV programmes according to
> > somebody else's broadcast schedule instead of choosing my own.

> I thought the idea of Freeview Play was that you could simply scroll the
> EPG up to 30(?) days into the past, and just as easily stream a
> programme you've missed as watch one that's on now?

> I've only tried one Freeview Play device and it didn't work anything
> like that ...

FWIW I think it tells us what we need to understand about such 'services'
that they don't simply make it easier/possible for people to use things
like get-iplayer.

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Freely