From: nogood@dontbother.invalid (Crash)
Newsgroups: nz.general
Subject: Review of the new Governent: media bias is changing
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 14:17:46 +1300
 by: Crash - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 01:17 UTC

This is a (paywalled) review of the new government that is largely
supportive:

---
In business, it’s the equivalent of being shifted sideways. It’s
always a difficult thing to have happen to you.

But political life is cruel. Very cruel. When you lose, you don’t go
sideways, you go downways.

Such is the life of the Labour Party front bench, all formerly in
positions of power, with public servants at their call and media
waiting in their hallways, and now with little to do other than oppose
the new Government. It was not so long ago they were adored by the
media and voters alike. Now they are left to wonder what might have
been.

Irrespective of our political views, we have to acknowledge politics
is hard work. We might not agree with the policies of a particular
party or parliamentary member, but we should respect the fact they are
there, doing their best to develop and support the initiatives they
believe in, in a difficult and sometimes hostile environment.

The last Labour Government was more radical than others. Their
policies around water management, health, education, and crime were
more extreme than we had seen before and as a result, drew criticism
from many. Their approach to issues of race was difficult to fathom.
The ability of many of their ministers to execute policy was shown to
be inadequate and sometimes incompetent. Their spectacular failures
around housing, mental health and child poverty will not be easily
forgotten. Their financial mismanagement was such that some four
months after their departure, the fiscal surprises are still being
unearthed.

Against this backdrop, it must be difficult sitting in opposition,
watching the policies you introduced, but couldn’t execute, get
unravelled by a new Government. Many of those unpopular policies, such
as Three Waters, Te Pukenga and The Maori Health Authority, have been
undone. The Ute Tax is in the past, and primary school education is in
for a massive overhaul. Gang patches in public and taxpayer-funded
cultural reports are on the way out.

And so it is difficult to understand the strategy the opposition
parties are bringing to their revised role. It’s almost embarrassing
to watch as the same old faces talk about the same old stuff. The
stuff that saw them leave the last election beaten and embarrassed.

In the past few weeks, we’ve seen them lamenting the loss of their
policy framework, much of it idealistic and ultimately undeliverable.
They’ve been given plenty of air time to sound off about how
disgraceful are the policies of the new Government. They would prefer
to see their old policies retained.

Of course they would.

But here’s the problem. In doing so they are defending their policies
of the past, policies that resulted in them being voted out.

The challenge for the opposition parties is to put up new ideas. The
same old faces might get away with it if they had new ideas. But new
faces and new ideas are even better. The voter, or the viewer, is much
more likely to be interested if they are saying something different.

The faces might survive if the rhetoric changes. In the meantime, it’s
looking tired and embarrassing.

In the case of the Labour Party, their fragility has been exacerbated
this week by a couple of their own who have come out against them.

David Shearer, one of the more sensible Labour Party leaders of the
past 15 years, suggested Ginny Andersen’s attack on Mark Mitchell
during Mike Hosking’s breakfast show was inappropriate. In fact, he
said her claims were “divorced from reality”. He even suggested she
sit down with Mitchell so she could understand what he did. Shearer
knows plenty about operating in the war zones of the world and his
opinion carries plenty of weight.

To her credit, Andersen apologised to Hosking, his listeners and later
to Mitchell himself, live and on air. That apology was a long time
coming. But apologise she did.

And then, former police minister Stuart Nash came out in favour of
National’s policy surrounding the Criminal Proceeds Act, and in
particular the reduction of the minimum threshold of assets for
seizure from $30,000 to zero. Nash claimed that, on his watch, he
tried to reduce the threshold to zero, just as National are now
proposing to do. According to Nash, his efforts were rebuffed by
ministers Hipkins and Allan.

It’s a claim both Hipkins and Allan have rejected. Hipkins even
claimed Mitchell was on the select committee that ‘unanimously’
supported the $30,000 threshold. Mitchell subsequently stated he
didn’t vote for it. But Labour had a majority on that committee.
There’s a difference between a unanimous decision and a majority one.

So there you go again. As mouthpieces, these people just don’t ring
true anymore. It’s not their fault, it’s just they’ve had their time.
There has been so much said over the past five years that has turned
out to be inaccurate or false that the credibility has gone. It’s time
for fresh faces.

Meanwhile, the new Government is getting on with it. Largely
untroubled by the opposition’s predictable approach of opposing
everything, they’re getting stuck into the mess they’ve inherited.
Their first 100 days are nearly up and they have made good progress on
their 100-day plan. Are they there yet? No. Are they close? Closer
than many, including me, thought they would be.

Winston is playing ball. Seymour is predictably unflappable. And while
he still trips up every now and then, the new Prime Minister seems to
be getting more right than wrong.

His team looks comfortable, too. Erica Stanford looks controlled as
she seeks to clean up Jan Tinetti’s education mess, and Shane Reti is
doing a good job fronting the very difficult health portfolio,
including the unravelling of the incomplete reforms of his
predecessors. Nicola Willis has a few big weeks ahead and we’ll get to
see how she handles that. But, for the moment, despite the depth of
our troubles, everything feels a lot more comfortable than it has for
a long time. Competence, confidence and a clear, well-communicated
plan can do that.

They have plenty of headwinds, too. Inflation is not yet back in its
box and interest rates, while thankfully on hold, are not likely to be
coming down in a hurry. Too many KiwiSaver contributions are on hold
and too many homeowners are struggling with the mortgage. We’re yet to
fully recover from the flooding over a year ago, and we have way more
government-employed bureaucrats than we either need or can afford.

And let’s not forget the surprises left behind by the former
Government in November.

They include the bloated cost structures and long-term contracts at
the Three Waters agencies. Then there is the ridiculous amount of
money spent on the now-cancelled light rail projects that went
nowhere, and the need to sell down properties such as the old Kiwi
Bacon factory in Auckland’s New North Road, purchased immediately
before the election, for the utopian-yet-unaffordable railway vision.

This week we’ve learned about the extent of property projects
languishing in the education system. Projects unfunded and now, I
suspect, unaffordable. But they were projects that, in many cases, had
been promised to the schools and the communities they serve. Stanford
is already across the problem. We need “standardised, repeatable
buildings” she said. Hallelujah. Since when did school buildings need
to be contestants in the annual architecture awards anyway?

The state of New Zealand is a sad reflection of the past six years.
There is a massive job to do in turning this country around. The new
Government has made big promises. And in the current landscape they
are challenging to deliver on. It’s hard to get excited about
unravelling the past. I’m guessing that we have to do that to create a
platform from which to deliver a desirable future. It’s that future we
should be interested in. And a vision that tells us where we want to
go and how we can help to turn the ship around and get there.

In the meantime, those remaining in opposition need to reflect and
learn from their mistakes.

And as for the people, the voters, we must never forget how we arrived
in this position. Fortunately, we have the nonsensical antics of the
morally and financially inept Wellington City Council to remind us of
the decisions only left-leaning politicians can make.

Not limited to the repeated and embarrassing cost blowouts on the Town
Hall refurbishment now costing more than double its original budget,
and despite a water infrastructure that is so poorly maintained, they
seem to have gone one better this week. Their latest act will see the
council bail out the international owners of the Reading Cinema,
buying the land for $32 million and leasing it back to the owners in
the hope that they will spend that money on refurbishment. The mayor
was interviewed on Newstalk ZB immediately after the decision. She
said the deal was fiscally neutral. It sounded like she didn’t know
what that meant.

If that’s what our capital city wants, it’s up to the voters there. As
for the rest of us. let’s not return such incompetence to the Beehive
any time soon.

Bruce Cotterill is a professional director and adviser to business
leaders. He is the author of the book, The Best Leaders Don’t Shout,
and host of the podcast, Leaders Getting Coffee.

Click here to read the complete article

aus+uk / nz.general / Review of the new Governent: media bias is changing