"Our vision is to speed up time, eventually eliminating it." -- Alex Schure

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Email addressing issue

SubjectAuthor
* Email addressing issueSnowshed
`* Re: Email addressing issueDavid E. Ross
 `* Re: Email addressing issueSnowshed
  `* Re: Email addressing issuePaul
   `* Re: Email addressing issueSnowshed
    +* Re: Email addressing issuePaul
    |+* Re: Email addressing issue [ postimg links ]Big Al
    ||`- Re: Email addressing issue [ postimg links ]Paul
    |`* Re: Email addressing issueSnowshed
    | `* Re: Email addressing issuePaul
    |  `* Re: Email addressing issueSnowshed
    |   `* Re: Email addressing issuePaul
    |    `- Re: Email addressing issueSnowshed
    `* Re: Email addressing issueJörg Lorenz
     `- Re: Email addressing issueSnowshed

1
Email addressing issue

<v0rba0$2jofa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4487&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4487

From: kcomptutor@q.com (Snowshed)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Email addressing issue
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 11:55:11 -0600
 by: Snowshed - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 17:55 UTC

Interesting issue with addressing in TB that showed up about a month ago.

I have numerous accounts in TB. I'll just refer to them as 1, 2, 3, etc.

When I write an email using account 1, the correct email address is
placed in the From: field. When sending the email, the address for
account 3 placed in the From: filed And the incorrect address is shown
in the source file after sanding to account 3.

Any thoughts as to the cause?

Would Repairing the folder fix the problem. I do not want to make the
problem worse.

Note: I'm hoping spelling, formatting, etc is OK. TB just doesn't have
a very good process for using magnification when composing a message for
a newsgroup.

--
Ken
MacOS 10.14.6

Re: Email addressing issue

<v0rgjh$2l3fj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4488&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4488

From: nobody@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Email addressing issue
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 12:25:35 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 19:25 UTC

On 4/30/2024 10:55 AM, Snowshed wrote:
> Interesting issue with addressing in TB that showed up about a month ago.
>
> I have numerous accounts in TB. I'll just refer to them as 1, 2, 3, etc.
>
> When I write an email using account 1, the correct email address is
> placed in the From: field. When sending the email, the address for
> account 3 placed in the From: filed And the incorrect address is shown
> in the source file after sanding to account 3.
>
> Any thoughts as to the cause?
>
> Would Repairing the folder fix the problem. I do not want to make the
> problem worse.
>
> Note: I'm hoping spelling, formatting, etc is OK. TB just doesn't have
> a very good process for using magnification when composing a message for
> a newsgroup.

Windows 7
Thunderbird 52.9.1

I have two E-mail accounts. One of them has a primary and three
alternative identities. The other account has only a primary identity.

I just ran a test, sending an E-mail message from an alternative
identity in the first account to my second account. The received
message correctly showed the From to be the identity from which it was
sent.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Demonstrators worldwide are demanding that Israel stop
fighting in Gaza. Why does it seem that no one is demanding
that Hamas stop fighting? And where are the demonstrations
against Russia fighting in the Ukraine.

Re: Email addressing issue

<v0ro5n$2mq8n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4489&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4489

From: kcomptutor@q.com (Snowshed)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 15:34:47 -0600
 by: Snowshed - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 21:34 UTC

On 4/30/24 1:25 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 4/30/2024 10:55 AM, Snowshed wrote:
>> Interesting issue with addressing in TB that showed up about a month ago.
>>
>> I have numerous accounts in TB. I'll just refer to them as 1, 2, 3, etc.
>>
>> When I write an email using account 1, the correct email address is
>> placed in the From: field. When sending the email, the address for
>> account 3 placed in the From: filed And the incorrect address is shown
>> in the source file after sanding to account 3.
>>
>> Any thoughts as to the cause?
>>
>> Would Repairing the folder fix the problem. I do not want to make the
>> problem worse.
>>
>> Note: I'm hoping spelling, formatting, etc is OK. TB just doesn't have
>> a very good process for using magnification when composing a message for
>> a newsgroup.
>
> Windows 7
> Thunderbird 52.9.1
>
> I have two E-mail accounts. One of them has a primary and three
> alternative identities. The other account has only a primary identity.
>
> I just ran a test, sending an E-mail message from an alternative
> identity in the first account to my second account. The received
> message correctly showed the From to be the identity from which it was
> sent.

I've never used identities in any email program, so can't imagine that
being the problem.

--
Ken
Ken

Re: Email addressing issue

<v0rqh7$2ng6g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4491&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4491

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 18:15:01 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 22:15 UTC

On 4/30/2024 5:34 PM, Snowshed wrote:
> On 4/30/24 1:25 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 4/30/2024 10:55 AM, Snowshed wrote:
>>> Interesting issue with addressing in TB that showed up about a month ago.
>>>
>>> I have numerous accounts in TB.  I'll just refer to them as 1, 2, 3, etc.
>>>
>>> When I write an email using account 1, the correct email address is
>>> placed in the From: field.  When sending the email, the address for
>>> account 3 placed in the From: filed  And the incorrect address is shown
>>> in the source file after sanding to account 3.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts as to the cause?
>>>
>>> Would Repairing the folder fix the problem. I do not want to make the
>>> problem worse.
>>>
>>> Note:  I'm hoping spelling, formatting, etc is OK.  TB just doesn't have
>>> a very good process for using magnification when composing a message for
>>> a newsgroup.
>>
>> Windows 7
>> Thunderbird 52.9.1
>>
>> I have two E-mail accounts.  One of them has a primary and three
>> alternative identities.  The other account has only a primary identity.
>>
>> I just ran a test, sending an E-mail message from an alternative
>> identity in the first account to my second account.  The received
>> message correctly showed the From to be the identity from which it was
>> sent.
>>

> I've never used identities in any email program, so can't imagine that being the problem.

The Configuration Editor, shows accounts for Email and USENET, and
the account information is numbered. In the below example, a Thunderbird
profile is up to entry number 6.

There should be a place in Thunderbird, to edit account information.
That interface should be populated with information, as seen
in the Configuration Editor.

Opening prefs.js with a text editor, may make it easier to scroll through
the content and identify how the wiring is done. My stuff here, isn't nearly
complicated enough, to shine light on what has happened to yours.

prefs.js
--------

user_pref("mail.server.server6.charset", "ISO-8859-1");
user_pref("mail.server.server6.type", "nntp");

Paul

Re: Email addressing issue

<v0sj1j$30338$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4492&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4492

From: kcomptutor@q.com (Snowshed)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 23:13:22 -0600
 by: Snowshed - Wed, 1 May 2024 05:13 UTC

On 4/30/24 4:15 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 4/30/2024 5:34 PM, Snowshed wrote:

>>> Windows 7
>>> Thunderbird 52.9.1
>>>
>>> I have two E-mail accounts.  One of them has a primary and three
>>> alternative identities.  The other account has only a primary identity.
>>>
>>> I just ran a test, sending an E-mail message from an alternative
>>> identity in the first account to my second account.  The received
>>> message correctly showed the From to be the identity from which it was
>>> sent.
>>>

>> I've never used identities in any email program, so can't imagine that being the problem.
>>

> The Configuration Editor, shows accounts for Email and USENET, and
> the account information is numbered. In the below example, a Thunderbird
> profile is up to entry number 6.
>
> There should be a place in Thunderbird, to edit account information.
> That interface should be populated with information, as seen
> in the Configuration Editor.
>
> Opening prefs.js with a text editor, may make it easier to scroll through
> the content and identify how the wiring is done. My stuff here, isn't nearly
> complicated enough, to shine light on what has happened to yours.
>
> prefs.js
> --------
>
> user_pref("mail.server.server6.charset", "ISO-8859-1");
> user_pref("mail.server.server6.type", "nntp");
>
> Paul

You used to be able to get to the configuration editor from the settings
menu. But, apparently not anymore. From a quick web search, it appears
there is a hidden wa. to get to it. But so far, all I've found is
instructions for Windows, not for a Mac. And these are Mozilla
articles. :-(

You know, I've been using TB since 2009, Loved it, recommended it.
Now, I hate it, and everyone I know that chose to use it have dropped it
due to problems.

--

Ken
MacOS 10.14.6

Re: Email addressing issue

<v0sth7$327pe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4495&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4495

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 04:12:22 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 1 May 2024 08:12 UTC

On 5/1/2024 1:13 AM, Snowshed wrote:
> On 4/30/24 4:15 PM, Paul wrote:

>>> I've never used identities in any email program, so can't imagine that being the problem.
>>>

>> The Configuration Editor, shows accounts for Email and USENET, and
>> the account information is numbered. In the below example, a Thunderbird
>> profile is up to entry number 6.
>>
>> There should be a place in Thunderbird, to edit account information.
>> That interface should be populated with information, as seen
>> in the Configuration Editor.
>>
>> Opening prefs.js with a text editor, may make it easier to scroll through
>> the content and identify how the wiring is done. My stuff here, isn't nearly
>> complicated enough, to shine light on what has happened to yours.
>>
>> prefs.js
>> --------
>>
>> user_pref("mail.server.server6.charset", "ISO-8859-1");
>> user_pref("mail.server.server6.type", "nntp");
>>
>>     Paul
>>

> You used to be able to get to the configuration editor from the settings menu.  But, apparently not anymore.  From a quick web search, it appears there is a hidden wa.  to get to it.  But so far, all I've found is instructions for Windows, not for a Mac.  And these are Mozilla articles.  :-(
>
> You know, I've been using TB since 2009,  Loved it, recommended it. Now, I hate it, and everyone I know that chose to use it have dropped it due to problems.

That's one thing I don't have, is a modern Mac.

There is no particular reason for the executable to be different
on the different platforms. There is no elitism going on here.

For example, there is one "decoration setting" that is fitted with
integer numbers, and a couple of the values give Mac-looking decorations.
Another couple values are Windows-looking decorations. And so on.
The tool generally does not make "platform" decorations by making
platform calls. It might be using OpenGL, and then if the OS wants
to put a title bar on the window, it can.

Thunderbird is not a "native app", it doesn't try to use Quartz or Metal.
In a way, it behaves a lot like Apple behaves on foreign platforms :-)

Thunderbird is actually, at heart, a Linux application. That means, when
it shows up on Windows, it's already treating us in a "second class" way.
It doesn't use DirectX3D for example. It might use OpenGL. Nobody on the
Windows platform, gives a rats ass how it renders, as long as it renders.
I'm the only guy who knows it's OpenGL. And that Windows has OpenGL support.
Nobody else sweats the details.

So that being said, Let's boot up a Windows one, and take a picture
of where to find the Configuration Editor. The Apple one should be
in the same rough area. Only the decorations will have "balls" where
windows would have "sticks and squares". Only on Linux, might you see
what the actual design intent was :-)

[Picture] Tools-Settings-General-(scroll down)-bottom-right

https://i.postimg.cc/kM6s5XqM/Thunderbird-115-Configuration-Editor.gif

Paul

Re: Email addressing issue

<v0suts$31q60$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4497&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4497

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 10:36:12 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 1 May 2024 08:36 UTC

On 01.05.24 07:13, Snowshed wrote:
> You used to be able to get to the configuration editor from the settings
> menu. But, apparently not anymore. From a quick web search, it appears
> there is a hidden wa. to get to it. But so far, all I've found is
> instructions for Windows, not for a Mac. And these are Mozilla
> articles. :-(

They all refer to the same code base. What's good for the goose is good
for the gander. I use it regularly on my Macs.

> You know, I've been using TB since 2009, Loved it, recommended it.
> Now, I hate it, and everyone I know that chose to use it have dropped it
> due to problems.

Bullshit claim and just total frustration.

Settings - General - Config Editor

--
"Alea iacta est." (Julius Caesar)

Re: Email addressing issue [ postimg links ]

<v0tads$34s0f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4498&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4498

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Email addressing issue [ postimg links ]
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 07:52:28 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 1 May 2024 11:52 UTC

On 5/1/24 04:12 AM, Paul wrote:
> So that being said, Let's boot up a Windows one, and take a picture
> of where to find the Configuration Editor. The Apple one should be
> in the same rough area. Only the decorations will have "balls" where
> windows would have "sticks and squares". Only on Linux, might you see
> what the actual design intent was 🙂
>
> [Picture] Tools-Settings-General-(scroll down)-bottom-right
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/kM6s5XqM/Thunderbird-115-Configuration-Editor.gif
>
> Paul
I've noticed this repeatedly and keep meaning to ask, hope you know.
When you post a link to postimg, the first time I click the link it sends me to an alternate. The
alternate is a shorter link and it lets me click once and zoom in. The next time I visit your
links I get the page exactly as you posted. And I can't zoom with a single click, or at all (other
than normal options in a browser).
alt link: https://postimg.cc/jCTPgTDB

Do you know what's happening. Oh, and I just noticed that the alternate link has buttons and an
info bar at the top. One of the buttons is a zoom button. I like what it's doing.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 Kernel 5.15.0-105-generic
Al

Re: Email addressing issue [ postimg links ]

<v0tbqu$35fcf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4499&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4499

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 08:16:28 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 1 May 2024 12:16 UTC

On 5/1/2024 7:52 AM, Big Al wrote:
> On 5/1/24 04:12 AM, Paul wrote:
>> So that being said, Let's boot up a Windows one, and take a picture
>> of where to find the Configuration Editor. The Apple one should be
>> in the same rough area. Only the decorations will have "balls" where
>> windows would have "sticks and squares". Only on Linux, might you see
>> what the actual design intent was 🙂
>>
>>     [Picture]  Tools-Settings-General-(scroll down)-bottom-right
>>
>>      https://i.postimg.cc/kM6s5XqM/Thunderbird-115-Configuration-Editor.gif
>>
>>    Paul
> I've noticed this repeatedly and keep meaning to ask, hope you know.
> When you post a link to postimg, the first time I click the link it sends me to an alternate.  The alternate is a shorter link and it lets me click once and zoom in.   The next time I visit your links I get the page exactly as you posted.  And I can't zoom with a single click, or at all (other than normal options in a browser).
>   alt link:  https://postimg.cc/jCTPgTDB
>
> Do you know what's happening.   Oh, and I just noticed that the alternate link has buttons and an info bar at the top.  One of the buttons is a zoom button.   I like what it's doing.

I just copy the link that's supposed to be a direct link or something.
The URLs they provide, never seem to do what they say they will do.

There should be advertising. Postimg was hard up for money.
Their advertising seems to come and go, as if there's a problem
with them getting the money for the adverts.

Paul

Re: Email addressing issue

<v0tt5p$39b8v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4505&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4505

From: kcomptutor@q.com (Snowshed)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 11:12:25 -0600
 by: Snowshed - Wed, 1 May 2024 17:12 UTC

On 5/1/24 2:36 AM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 01.05.24 07:13, Snowshed wrote:
>> You used to be able to get to the configuration editor from the settings
>> menu. But, apparently not anymore. From a quick web search, it appears
>> there is a hidden wa. to get to it. But so far, all I've found is
>> instructions for Windows, not for a Mac. And these are Mozilla
>> articles. :-(
>
> They all refer to the same code base. What's good for the goose is good
> for the gander. I use it regularly on my Macs.
>
>> You know, I've been using TB since 2009, Loved it, recommended it.
>> Now, I hate it, and everyone I know that chose to use it have dropped it
>> due to problems.
>
> Bullshit claim and just total frustration.

I think it depends on your definition of "problem".

This might be a poor analogy, but let's say I have a car where a
particular set of controls is placed where it's easy for me to use. I
upgrade to the latest version of the car, and those controls have been
moved all but out of my reach. I now have a "problem". It might not be
a problem for you, but it is for me. And when enough situations like
this occur, it definitely leads to frustration.

For me, the easiest version of TB to use was 69. And it's been a
downhill trek ever since. :-(

> Settings - General - Config Editor

--
Ken
Ken
MacOS 10.14.6
Firefox 115.10.0
Thunderbird 115.6.2
and it's gone!"

Re: Email addressing issue

<v0usjm$3jsko$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4506&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4506

From: kcomptutor@q.com (Snowshed)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 20:08:54 -0600
 by: Snowshed - Thu, 2 May 2024 02:08 UTC

On 5/1/24 2:12 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 5/1/2024 1:13 AM, Snowshed wrote:

>>> The Configuration Editor, shows accounts for Email and USENET, and
>>> the account information is numbered. In the below example, a Thunderbird
>>> profile is up to entry number 6.
>>>
>>> There should be a place in Thunderbird, to edit account information.
>>> That interface should be populated with information, as seen
>>> in the Configuration Editor.
>>>
>>> Opening prefs.js with a text editor, may make it easier to scroll through
>>> the content and identify how the wiring is done. My stuff here, isn't nearly
>>> complicated enough, to shine light on what has happened to yours.
>>>
>>> prefs.js
>>> --------
>>>
>>> user_pref("mail.server.server6.charset", "ISO-8859-1");
>>> user_pref("mail.server.server6.type", "nntp");
>>>
>>>     Paul
>>>

>> You used to be able to get to the configuration editor from the settings menu.  But, apparently not anymore.  From a quick web search, it appears there is a hidden wa.  to get to it.  But so far, all I've found is instructions for Windows, not for a Mac.  And these are Mozilla articles.  :-(
>>
>> You know, I've been using TB since 2009,  Loved it, recommended it. Now, I hate it, and everyone I know that chose to use it have dropped it due to problems.
>
> That's one thing I don't have, is a modern Mac.
>
> There is no particular reason for the executable to be different
> on the different platforms. There is no elitism going on here.
>
> For example, there is one "decoration setting" that is fitted with
> integer numbers, and a couple of the values give Mac-looking decorations.
> Another couple values are Windows-looking decorations. And so on.
> The tool generally does not make "platform" decorations by making
> platform calls. It might be using OpenGL, and then if the OS wants
> to put a title bar on the window, it can.
>
> Thunderbird is not a "native app", it doesn't try to use Quartz or Metal.
> In a way, it behaves a lot like Apple behaves on foreign platforms :-)
>
> Thunderbird is actually, at heart, a Linux application. That means, when
> it shows up on Windows, it's already treating us in a "second class" way.
> It doesn't use DirectX3D for example. It might use OpenGL. Nobody on the
> Windows platform, gives a rats ass how it renders, as long as it renders.
> I'm the only guy who knows it's OpenGL. And that Windows has OpenGL support.
> Nobody else sweats the details.
>
> So that being said, Let's boot up a Windows one, and take a picture
> of where to find the Configuration Editor. The Apple one should be
> in the same rough area. Only the decorations will have "balls" where
> windows would have "sticks and squares". Only on Linux, might you see
> what the actual design intent was :-)
>
> [Picture] Tools-Settings-General-(scroll down)-bottom-right
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/kM6s5XqM/Thunderbird-115-Configuration-Editor.gif
>
> Paul

Not surprised it's basically a Linux program. Bu eventually, there are
some differences. In your screenshot, in the navigation pane (if i's
still called that) the upper group has 4 items. My Mac has 5, the 5th
being Calendar. That may be due to you not having the calendar installed.

In the Windows Menu Bar, you have 5 items. On the Mac equivalent, 11
items. But one is for events and tasks which you may not have checked
to show.

My Mac has more white space, but that may be due to my settings.

I do want to thank you for clearly marking the Config editor. Sadly, I
may never have found them on my own. In general, that's due to 2 problems:

1. My macular degeneration, which I would not wish on my worst enemy.

2. The propensity of current designers to use light yellows, light
blues, light greys, and thin lines. Many monitors simply can't display
those colors and occasionally other colors. I won't go into how I
discovered unless someone asks.

Would you happen know or have an example of what "phrases" I need to
look for to see if I can find any errors?

Back in he ancient days when Mozilla was supporting a newsgroup servier,
I asked where I could find a list, but no one provided an answer.

--
Ken
Ken

Re: Email addressing issue

<v0v0mo$3klav$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4507&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4507

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 23:18:46 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 2 May 2024 03:18 UTC

On 5/1/2024 10:08 PM, Snowshed wrote:

> Not surprised it's basically a Linux program. Bu eventually, there are some differences.  In your screenshot, in the navigation pane (if i's still called that) the upper group has 4 items.  My Mac has 5, the 5th being Calendar.  That may be due to you not having the calendar installed.
>
> In the Windows Menu Bar, you have 5 items.  On the Mac equivalent, 11 items.  But one is for events and tasks which you may not have checked to show.
>
> My Mac has more white space, but that may be due to my settings.
>
> I do want to thank you for clearly marking the Config editor.  Sadly, I may never have found them on my own.  In general, that's due to 2 problems:
>
> 1.  My macular degeneration, which I would not wish on my worst enemy.
>
> 2.  The propensity of current designers to use light yellows, light blues, light greys, and thin lines. Many monitors simply can't display those colors and occasionally other colors.  I won't go into how I discovered unless someone asks.
>
> Would you happen know or have an example of what "phrases" I need to look for to see if I can find any errors?
>
> Back in he ancient days when Mozilla was supporting a newsgroup servier, I asked where I could find a list, but no one provided an answer.

The documentation is not up to date.

This causes a number of problems. For example, a setting may exist,
which does not do anything any more.

All I can suggest, is if you find the "prefs.js" file, I think
that is where the Configuration Editor gets the materials it needs.
It would depend on which you enjoy scrolling more, that configuration
editor, or a text editor.

Being a Linux program, it does not want to use a Registry :-)
So we know that idea is out the window. This is why the
preferences are stored in a file.

The preferences are dot-separated (similar to xrdb entries of long ago).

Some of the preferences begin with "mailnews".
These are items that are shared by both email and by USENET News selections.

Ones that begin with mail, might be related to mail. When they are not,
there is a separate item that is set to "nntp" to indicate a USENET account.

Identity 1 and Identity 2 appear here, to be the same person. This file
is from my email virtual machine, where I test new email programs. There
aren't a lot of accounts in here, really.

The Server definitions on the other hand, contain weird things.
And it is hard to tell how an identity maps to a particular server
and email account. I don't even know how the number of accounts
got up to 7 when other portions of the prefs.js don't go that high.

This is where you'll have to do some thinking, as to how they could
possibly get mixed up.

My VM is known as "mail.local" according to its HOSTS file. When Thunderbird
sends an email, it is sending it to 127.0.0.1 . This is to isolate the
machine from the Internet.

user_pref("mail.ab_remote_content.migrated", 1);
user_pref("mail.account.account2.server", "server2");
user_pref("mail.account.account6.identities", "id1");
user_pref("mail.account.account6.server", "server1");
user_pref("mail.account.account7.identities", "id2");
user_pref("mail.account.account7.server", "server5");
user_pref("mail.account.lastKey", 7);
user_pref("mail.accountmanager.accounts", "account6,account2,account7");
user_pref("mail.accountmanager.defaultaccount", "account6");
user_pref("mail.accountmanager.localfoldersserver", "server2");

user_pref("mail.identity.id1.archive_folder", "imap://bullwinkle%40mail.local@mail.local/Archives");
user_pref("mail.identity.id1.doBcc", false);
user_pref("mail.identity.id1.draft_folder", "imap://bullwinkle%40mail.local@mail.local/Drafts");
user_pref("mail.identity.id1.drafts_folder_picker_mode", "0");
user_pref("mail.identity.id1.encryptionpolicy", 0);
user_pref("mail.identity.id1.fcc_folder", "imap://bullwinkle%40mail.local@mail.local/Sent");
user_pref("mail.identity.id1.fcc_folder_picker_mode", "0");
user_pref("mail.identity.id1.fullName", "Bullwinkle");
user_pref("mail.identity.id1.reply_on_top", 1);
user_pref("mail.identity.id1.sign_mail", false);
user_pref("mail.identity.id1.smtpServer", "smtp1");
user_pref("mail.identity.id1.stationery_folder", "imap://bullwinkle%40mail.local@mail.local/Templates");
user_pref("mail.identity.id1.tmpl_folder_picker_mode", "0");
user_pref("mail.identity.id1.useremail", "bullwinkle@mail.local"); <===
user_pref("mail.identity.id1.valid", true);

user_pref("mail.identity.id2.archive_folder", "mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Archives");
user_pref("mail.identity.id2.compose_html", false);
user_pref("mail.identity.id2.draft_folder", "mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Drafts");
user_pref("mail.identity.id2.drafts_folder_picker_mode", "0");
user_pref("mail.identity.id2.fcc_folder", "mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Sent");
user_pref("mail.identity.id2.fcc_folder_picker_mode", "0");
user_pref("mail.identity.id2.fullName", "Bullwinkle");
user_pref("mail.identity.id2.stationery_folder", "mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Templates");
user_pref("mail.identity.id2.tmpl_folder_picker_mode", "0");
user_pref("mail.identity.id2.useremail", "bullwinkle@mail.local"); <===
user_pref("mail.identity.id2.valid", true);

user_pref("mail.server.server1.ageLimit", 30);
user_pref("mail.server.server1.applyToFlaggedMessages", false);
user_pref("mail.server.server1.cacheCapa.acl", true);
user_pref("mail.server.server1.cacheCapa.quota", true);
user_pref("mail.server.server1.check_new_mail", true);
user_pref("mail.server.server1.cleanupBodies", false);
user_pref("mail.server.server1.clientid", "4f238b4d-5e30-4563-b679-c467879b804b");
user_pref("mail.server.server1.daysToKeepBodies", 30);
user_pref("mail.server.server1.daysToKeepHdrs", 30);
user_pref("mail.server.server1.directory", "C:\\Users\\bullwinkle\\AppData\\Roaming\\Thunderbird\\Profiles\\bf9d5uv7.default\\ImapMail\\mail.local");
user_pref("mail.server.server1.directory-rel", "[ProfD]ImapMail/mail.local");
user_pref("mail.server.server1.downloadByDate", false);
user_pref("mail.server.server1.downloadUnreadOnly", false);
user_pref("mail.server.server1.force_select", "no-auto");
user_pref("mail.server.server1.hostname", "mail.local");
user_pref("mail.server.server1.lastFilterTime", 28378610);
user_pref("mail.server.server1.login_at_startup", true);
user_pref("mail.server.server1.max_cached_connections", 5);
user_pref("mail.server.server1.name", "bullwinkle@mail.local");
user_pref("mail.server.server1.namespace.personal", "\"\"");
user_pref("mail.server.server1.namespace.public", "\"#Public\"");
user_pref("mail.server.server1.nextFilterTime", 28378620);
user_pref("mail.server.server1.numHdrsToKeep", 2000);
user_pref("mail.server.server1.port", 993);
user_pref("mail.server.server1.socketType", 3);
user_pref("mail.server.server1.spamActionTargetAccount", "imap://bullwinkle%40mail.local@mail.local");
user_pref("mail.server.server1.storeContractID", "@mozilla.org/msgstore/maildirstore;1");
user_pref("mail.server.server1.timeout", 29);
user_pref("mail.server.server1.type", "imap");
user_pref("mail.server.server1.userName", "bullwinkle@mail.local"); <===

user_pref("mail.server.server2.directory", "C:\\Users\\bullwinkle\\AppData\\Roaming\\Thunderbird\\Profiles\\bf9d5uv7.default\\Mail\\Local Folders");
user_pref("mail.server.server2.directory-rel", "[ProfD]Mail/Local Folders");
user_pref("mail.server.server2.hostname", "Local Folders");
user_pref("mail.server.server2.lastFilterTime", 28378610);
user_pref("mail.server.server2.name", "Local Folders");
user_pref("mail.server.server2.nextFilterTime", 28378620);
user_pref("mail.server.server2.spamActionTargetAccount", "mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders");
user_pref("mail.server.server2.storeContractID", "@mozilla.org/msgstore/berkeleystore;1");
user_pref("mail.server.server2.type", "none");
user_pref("mail.server.server2.userName", "nobody"); <===

user_pref("mail.server.server4.directory", "C:\\Users\\bullwinkle\\AppData\\Roaming\\Thunderbird\\Profiles\\bf9d5uv7.default\\ImapMail\\.mail.local");
user_pref("mail.server.server4.directory-rel", "[ProfD]ImapMail/.mail.local");
user_pref("mail.server.server4.hostname", ".mail.local");
user_pref("mail.server.server4.lastFilterTime", 26871347);
user_pref("mail.server.server4.max_cached_connections", 5);
user_pref("mail.server.server4.nextFilterTime", 26871357);
user_pref("mail.server.server4.port", 993);
user_pref("mail.server.server4.socketType", 3);
user_pref("mail.server.server4.spamActionTargetAccount", "imap://bullwinkle@.mail.local");
user_pref("mail.server.server4.storeContractID", "@mozilla.org/msgstore/maildirstore;1");
user_pref("mail.server.server4.type", "imap");
user_pref("mail.server.server4.userName", "bullwinkle"); <===

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Email addressing issue

<v1dgct$3amdi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5331&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#5331

From: kcomptutor@q.com (Snowshed)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 7 May 2024 09:12:28 -0600
 by: Snowshed - Tue, 7 May 2024 15:12 UTC

<v1g2ch$q4m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5345&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#5345

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 8 May 2024 10:31:43 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 8 May 2024 14:31 UTC

On 5/7/2024 11:12 AM, Snowshed wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>        mail.account.account#.identities   String   Comma separated list of identities.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> Someone told me long ago the documentation was out of date.  That situation tells me the program isn't on a professional level.
>
> I used to hold TB in high regard, but no longer.
>
> I uses a Mac over 99% of the time, theses days, and I did a quick HD search for "prefs.js" and didn't find one.  Yes, I looked inside the package, too.  <G>  doesn't meant it doesn't exist.  So no Registry entries or any of te other Windows files.
>
> The Configuration Editor does have a search bar, so I will likely use your samples as a guide to see what I can find.
>
> I hope to get to that this week, but no guarantees.  A "chore" that used to take Xamoount of time now takes me 3-5X amount of time.
>
> But, good or bad, I will post the results.

<v2d7d8$3esd7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5530&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#5530

From: kcomptutor@q.com (Snowshed)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sun, 19 May 2024 09:55:20 -0600
 by: Snowshed - Sun, 19 May 2024 15:55 UTC