Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 08:51:28 +0000
Subject: BBC News
From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
 by: rslight rss feeds - Sat, 4 May 2024 08:51 UTC

Key mayor results due after Labour notches up local election wins
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-68609732
May 4, 2024, 2:06 AM
The results of mayoral elections in the West Midlands, London and other regions will be announced on Saturday.
--------------------
Local election results in maps and charts
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c8v36l6d54do
May 3, 2024, 9:50 PM
Analysis of the first wave of results in the local elections 2024.
--------------------
Sunak says results 'disappointing' but voters will 'stick with us' at general election
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68947838
May 3, 2024, 6:46 PM
Labour wins by-election and string of councils from the Tories, who retain the Tees Valley mayoralty.
--------------------
When is the next general election?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62064552
May 3, 2024, 7:52 AM
The next UK general election has to be held by 28 January 2025, but could take place earlier.
--------------------
Chris Mason: Bleak picture for Sunak but no sign of rebellion against PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68954537
May 3, 2024, 8:34 PM
Labour has discovered a knack of winning in the local elections where they need to win in a general election.
--------------------
Why North Korea's latest propaganda bop is a huge TikTok hit
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ckv7yk88q0go
May 4, 2024, 12:23 AM
A song praising Mr Kim has got TikTok hooked - but experts say it could be hiding something more sinister.
--------------------
'Shocking' - Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cv29xplk851o
May 4, 2024, 6:06 AM
A woman who had to travel from Wales to England for an abortion says the experience was traumatic.
--------------------
Sweden prepares for Eurovision with heightened security
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68950907
May 4, 2024, 1:11 AM
The celebration of pop is set to take place amid protests at Israel's involvement in the competition.
--------------------
Spacey responds to new claims ahead of documentary
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68955103
May 3, 2024, 10:18 PM
The actor says he may at times have behaved inappropriately but denies his behaviour was ever illegal.
--------------------
Worst-ever job interviews: 'We had to crawl and moo'
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c4n1j9lvrdeo
May 3, 2024, 9:21 PM
Dozens of jobseekers tell the BBC about their worst-ever interview experiences.
--------------------
Thousands in Sussex still without water supplies
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cedxgpy7379o
May 4, 2024, 8:03 AM
More than 30,000 properties in Sussex remain without water after burst pipe on Thursday.
--------------------
Palestinian doctor dies in Israeli prison
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cer3740ddj3o
May 3, 2024, 8:44 PM
Israeli authorities said they were investigating the death of orthopaedic surgeon Dr Adnan Al-Bursh.
--------------------
Instagram courts TikTok users with algorithm revamp
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cmm3yn4pr17o
May 3, 2024, 9:17 PM
With TikTok's future uncertain, Instagram is trying to get more viral content on its Reels feature.
--------------------
Watch: Bridge buckles and plunges into Brazil river
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-68955655
May 3, 2024, 11:39 PM
Footage shows a man narrowly avoiding falling into the water as a bridge gives way.
--------------------
Have the wheels come off for Tesla?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68947020
May 3, 2024, 9:08 PM
As the electric carmaker sees sales fall and cuts jobs, we take a closer look at its problems.
--------------------
Fear and prayers in Sudan city under siege
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/crgy3e1pgn9o
May 4, 2024, 1:36 AM
People in the last major holdout of the army in the west of Sudan nervously await an assault.
--------------------
Three arrested over Sikh activist's killing in Canada
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67836968
May 3, 2024, 8:59 PM
Hardeep Singh Nijjar was shot dead last June, sparking a diplomatic row between India and Canada.
--------------------
Ryan Gosling plays one, but what makes a real stunt actor?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-68938733
May 4, 2024, 12:09 AM
Can Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt's new film get stunt performers the recognition they've been missing?
--------------------
'Tories crushed' as rebels 'end plot to oust Sunak'
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c88zj3edv41o
May 4, 2024, 4:45 AM
Saturday's papers focus on local election disappointment for the Tories.
--------------------
Richard Ashcroft: 'I was the mouthy lead singer'
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c4n17q1md31o
May 4, 2024, 1:24 AM
The singer discusses fame, inspiring a new generation and bringing pride back to his hometown.
--------------------
Call for gardeners to help with flood defence
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cw0vnkp8rzro
May 3, 2024, 9:38 PM
Insurance scheme urges gardeners to use planting to protect their homes from floods.
--------------------
Ros Atkins on… Why PIP benefits may change
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68953696
May 4, 2024, 4:33 AM
The BBC’s analysis editor looks at the government’s proposed reforms to personal independence payments.
--------------------
Voting, Volcanoes and Vatican Guards: Photos of the week
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-68942527
May 4, 2024, 12:36 AM
A selection of striking images from around the world, taken over the past seven days.
--------------------
What can we expect from the final Gavin and Stacey?
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ceq3znxe2xqo
May 3, 2024, 6:10 PM
The Christmas special in 2019 left 17.1 million viewers on tenterhooks with a cliffhanger ending.
--------------------
Download now
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10628994
June 13, 2023, 10:25 AM
Top stories, breaking news, live reporting, and follow news topics that match your interests
--------------------
Side hustle foodies turning homes into takeaways
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cv2j1d03kdpo
May 4, 2024, 6:10 AM
Matt turns his barbecuing hobby into a low-risk, low-cost business from home.
--------------------
Hainault sword attack victim thanks NHS for saving his life
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68950407
May 3, 2024, 12:30 PM
Henry De Los Rios Polania sustained a deep wound to his hand during the attack on Tuesday.
--------------------
US blames Rwanda and rebels for deadly camp strike
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/crgyxxlzvk4o
May 4, 2024, 4:04 AM
At least nine people are killed in an attack on a camp in eastern DR Congo.
--------------------
Squirrels may have given medieval Britons leprosy
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cj7mry8yvrmo
May 3, 2024, 5:51 PM
It’s the first time a medieval animal has been identified as a host for the disease.
--------------------
The Japanese gown uniting Freddie Mercury, the Jedi and Bjork
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cx7djg3ewlzo
May 4, 2024, 8:33 AM
A collection of Kimono from some of the most charismatic entertainers has gone on display in Dundee.
--------------------
Bank holiday weather: Will it be warm or wet?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/68928420
May 3, 2024, 10:55 AM
It's been warming up this week but could rain spoil your plans for the long weekend?
--------------------
What dates are GCSE exams and when is results day 2024?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53682466
May 4, 2024, 1:17 AM
When do GCSEs start and are there any changes to exams this year?
--------------------
What's at stake on Championship's final day?
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/cjmkrnklrk3o
May 3, 2024, 9:02 AM
Ipswich could be promoted to the Premier League and two of five teams will be relegated on the final day of the Championship season.
--------------------
Can Thomas thwart mighty Pogacar at Giro d'Italia?
https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/articles/czd8jg77jlno
May 3, 2024, 12:10 PM
Can Geraint Thomas stop the mighty Tadej Pogacar at the Giro d'Italia? There is always a chance at cycling's most unpredictable Grand Tour.
--------------------
Scottish Premiership Picks: Celtic v Hearts, Tavernier & Levein in spotlight
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/cn0v6vp9kweo
May 3, 2024, 10:41 AM
Celtic versus Hearts, Rangers' James Tavernier and St Johnstone's Craig Levein are in the spotlight this Scottish Premiership weekend.
--------------------
Luton stay in bottom three after draw with Everton
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68902721
May 3, 2024, 10:01 PM
Luton Town miss out on the chance to move out of the relegation zone as they are held by Everton in the Premier League.
--------------------
Verstappen beats Leclerc to Miami sprint pole
https://www.bbc.com/sport/articles/cjewq04pej5o
May 3, 2024, 10:41 PM
Red Bull’s Max Verstappen beat Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc to take pole position for the sprint race at the Miami Grand Prix.
--------------------
Local Electioncast! The results (part two…)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0hvzggc
May 3, 2024, 6:31 PM
'A rolling weekend of psephological fun' continues
--------------------
What to do if you are in debt and need help
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64291327
April 3, 2024, 10:30 AM
What help and options are available to people struggling with debt repayments?
--------------------
How much does uni cost, and will I earn more if I go?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-62237170
May 3, 2024, 3:02 PM
Given higher costs, some students are wondering whether going to university makes financial sense.
--------------------
Who gets 15 hours of free childcare and how do I apply?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-62036045
April 24, 2024, 12:15 AM
Parents in England can now access 15 hours of free weekly childcare for their two-year-olds.
--------------------
How fast are prices rising in the UK?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322
April 17, 2024, 8:20 AM
The rate at which prices are rising has dropped from record highs, but remains above the 2% target.
--------------------
Train strikes: How May's disruption affects you
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61634959
May 2, 2024, 11:12 PM
Train drivers are staging strikes and an overtime ban around the May Bank Holiday.
--------------------
What are my rights if my flight is cancelled or delayed?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61646214
April 15, 2024, 11:24 AM
If you face disruption because flights are cancelled or delayed, then what can you do?
--------------------
Can my landlord put up my rent, keep my deposit or evict me?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65038459
March 25, 2024, 12:07 PM
UK renters have seen increases of 10% and two million are behind or struggling to pay.
--------------------
How much is the minimum wage going up?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48445674
April 2, 2024, 10:56 AM
The National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage rates rose at the beginning of April.
--------------------
Five hacks to help save money on your food shop
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61798003
November 29, 2023, 3:53 PM
The cost-of-living crisis continues to bite. Here are some things that can reduce the impact.
--------------------
How do interest rates affect me?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57764601
April 17, 2024, 10:04 AM
Bank of England interest rates have an impact on the mortgage, loan and savings rates for millions of people.
--------------------
What to do if you are in debt and need help
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64291327
April 3, 2024, 10:30 AM
What help and options are available to people struggling with debt repayments?
--------------------
How much will the 2p National Insurance cut save me?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-63635185
April 5, 2024, 9:33 PM
A further 2p cut in National Insurance for 27 million workers has come into effect.
--------------------
Five ways to save money on your mortgage
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65984415
January 8, 2024, 9:53 AM
Experts give advice for those who might be worried about their monthly mortgage payments.
--------------------
How fast are prices rising in the UK?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322
April 17, 2024, 8:20 AM
The rate at which prices are rising has dropped from record highs, but remains above the 2% target.
--------------------
What happens if I can't afford to pay my mortgage?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63486782
January 9, 2024, 1:01 PM
Many homeowners are worried about higher mortgage costs, but lenders must help those struggling.
--------------------
Five ways to save money on your mortgage
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65984415
January 8, 2024, 9:53 AM
Experts give advice for those who might be worried about their monthly mortgage payments.
--------------------
What are my rights if my flight is cancelled or delayed?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61646214
April 15, 2024, 11:24 AM
If you face disruption because flights are cancelled or delayed, then what can you do?
--------------------
How to get a job: Six expert tips for finding work
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64939070
April 16, 2024, 11:11 AM
More than 10m people out of work in the UK, so if you're searching for a job you're not alone. Here are some tips on how to get started.
--------------------
Farmer bailed after burglary shooting death
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-68956503
May 4, 2024, 8:20 AM
The farmer was held on suspicion of murder and attempted murder after the shooting in Whaley Bridge.
--------------------
SDLP to change selection process after mayor row
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c1rv50v9pgqo
May 4, 2024, 5:18 AM
It comes as two councillors quit the party over how Lilian Seenoi-Barr was chosen as Derry City and Strabane mayor.
--------------------
Will John Swinney change the SNP’s fortunes?
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cp6g15g5znko
May 4, 2024, 8:25 AM
After days of turmoil – and months of challenging polls – SNP members will be hoping he is the man to steady the ship.
Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cv29xplk851o
May 4, 2024, 6:06 AM
A woman who had to travel from Wales to England for an abortion says the experience was traumatic.

Click here to read the complete article

interests / News RSS Feeds / BBC News