From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: Samsung through HDMI Watermarking and Malware
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 09:32:34 -0400
 by: Guest - Thu, 20 Aug 2020 13:32 UTC

So you have a Samsung monitor or smart TV and you think the whole thing is harmless.
Think again!

Every time you connect your computer through HDMI to a Samsung product you are
being watermarked at least with a time/date/productID stamp which can be accessed
later through the Internet. If you are using Linux this is done in many places
including in the Swap area. It does happen even when you use a DP2HDMI (display
port to HDMI adaptor). It does happen even when you use LibreBoot.

If you are connected to the Internet at the time Samsung will try to send that info
along with a machine fingerprint to the headquarters.

If your Samsung Smart TV is connected to Digital Cable (DTV) malware is inserted through
the HDMI port for spying on your computer.
For those of you that are not familiar with DTV: The cable is used in the same way
as Wifi to send info and provide ratings. It is similar to your ISP collected data
but more valuable since you do not have any encrypted networks to protect you such
as Tor, i2p etc...
I caught them because Samsung is not a software company and they are not very good
at what they are doing. So far this can be dealt with BleachBit (be sure you use it twice once with System Memory checkmark off and second time with the checkmark on) wipe free space.
If you are familiar with any HDMI firewall do tell!

--
Posted on def3

Re: Samsung through HDMI Watermarking and Malware

<g.1235.3gga6z@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=165&group=rocksolid.shared.general#165

From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 16:17:07 -0700
logging-data="2430"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def5.org"
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 20 Aug 2020 23:17 UTC

Wow, thanks for that post. I never knew that they were this aggressive.
Could you elaborate a little bit how you found this out (or where you read it, if this was not found by you), or maybe post some debug logs or (that would be supernice) upload a sample of the malware. That would really be interesting.

--
Posted on def2

Re: Samsung through HDMI Watermarking and Malware

<bea1e0ba1de98babdaf7fd3710aa14e5$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=166&group=rocksolid.shared.general#166

From: AnonUser@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 23:20:56 +0000
 by: AnonUser - Thu, 20 Aug 2020 23:20 UTC

Guest wrote:

> So you have a Samsung monitor or smart TV and you think the whole thing is harmless.
> Think again!

> Every time you connect your computer through HDMI to a Samsung product you are
> being watermarked at least with a time/date/productID stamp which can be accessed
> later through the Internet. If you are using Linux this is done in many places
> including in the Swap area. It does happen even when you use a DP2HDMI (display
> port to HDMI adaptor). It does happen even when you use LibreBoot.

Interesting. Can you post links about this?

--
Posted on: novaBBS
www.novabbs.com