From: Anonymous@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Subject: Gmail and Facebook users may need to show their passports
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 21:44:11 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 21:44 UTC

Was actually surprised this is UK, sounded more like EU to me. The gov't will protect you or really, the gov't now knows who to go after when they don't like a post.

"Speaking about the bill, Culture Minister Nadine Dorries said: "Tech firms have a responsibility to stop anonymous trolls polluting their platforms."

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1572153/Gmail-Facebook-block-show-passport-use-app-UK-Government-rules

You may get blocked from Gmail, Facebook if you don't follow strict new Government rules
GMAIL and Facebook users in the UK may need to show their passport to continue using the apps in the future if legislation being proposed by the Government goes through.
By Dion Dassanayake
08:01, Sat, Feb 26, 2022 | UPDATED: 13:45, Sat, Feb 26, 2022

facebook gmail user block
Gmail and Facebook users may need to show their passports to use the app in the UK (Image: FACEBOOK GETTY)
Sign up for FREE for the biggest new releases, reviews and tech hacks

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you've consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

New measures could see users of platforms such as Google, Facebook and Twitter be required to verify their identify if they want to continue using the hugely popular services. The proposals have been put forward by the UK Government as a way to help crackdown on anonymous trolls, with tech giants also having to give its users the ability to block accounts that aren't verified from sending them messages. It would be up to tech giants how they carry out identity checks, with one proposal being users getting asked to show a Government-issued ID like a passport when creating or updating an account.
Related articles

Millions of Gmail users set to miss out on biggest upgrade in years
Stop using Facebook Messenger until you've read the latest warning

Other alternatives would be using facial recognition software to verify a profile picture or using two-factor authentication.

The proposed measures which would impact Gmail, Facebook and Twitter users are all part of the Government's Online Safety Bill.

This legislation is meant to force tech giants to get rid of illegal and harmful content from its platforms, with executives at these tech giants themselves potentially being held liable for falling to adhere.

Watchdog Ofcom will also be given the power to fine companies up to £18million, or 10 percent of their annual global revenue (whichever is higher) if they don't comply.

UK passport
Gmail and Facebook users in the UK may need to show their passports to use the app (Image: GETTY)

While access to services that don't comply with these measures could even be blocked in the UK under the proposals.

Speaking about the bill, Culture Minister Nadine Dorries said: "Tech firms have a responsibility to stop anonymous trolls polluting their platforms.

"People will now have more control over who can contact them and be able to stop the tidal wave of hate served up to them by rogue algorithms."

The proposed Online Safety Bill still has to pass through Parliament before it becomes adopted into law.

In the meantime some campaigners have warned that the measures could lead to freedom of expression being stifled.

nadine dorries
Culture Minister Nadine Dorries (Image: GETTY)

Speaking to CNBC, Jim Killock, the executive director of the Open Rights Group, said: "Unfortunately content does not come with a ‘legal but harmful’ label attached to it, so the idea that platforms can opt people out of such things is nonsense.

"What it will mean is people choosing whether algorithms block things that might be offensive, with the inevitable result that posts about ‘Scunthorpe’ or ‘garden hoes’ are removed in the name of safety."

While a Twitter spokesperson said: "We are reviewing the details of the new proposed duties.

"Our focus remains on a safe internet for all — whether or not someone is able to or chooses to verify themselves."

Express.co.uk has also contacted Google and Facebook for comment.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Gmail and Facebook users may need to show their passports

<svfmdh$uuk$1@shakotay.alphanet.ch>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=242&group=rocksolid.shared.security#242

From: schaefer@alphanet.ch (Marc SCHAEFER)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 11:13:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Marc SCHAEFER - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 11:13 UTC

Anonymous <Anonymous@news.novabbs.org> wrote:
> Was actually surprised this is UK, sounded more like EU to me. The gov't will protect you or really, the gov't now knows who to go after when they don't like a post.

Funnily, in Switzerland, we would love to have most of the EU rules for
the consumers, but our governement is sometimes too conservative.

So, well, we look at what is happening in UK, and we see a rightwing,
nationalist government.

Not a real surprise for me if they tighten online control, too.

Re: Gmail and Facebook users may need to show their passports

<f3a638bde3fd7f2b401410d1f437ce96@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=243&group=rocksolid.shared.security#243

From: Anonymous@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 03:59:57 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 03:59 UTC

for God's sake WHY ARE PEOPLE STILL USING GMAIL AND FACEBOOK?!

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Gmail and Facebook users may need to show their passports

<fb154ef86636d12ee8b37ae2b31c8f58@rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=269&group=rocksolid.shared.security#269

From: Anonymous@rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 00:17:14 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 00:17 UTC

99.9996% uptime, Security devices included. This dead head dancing bear logs from Iran anyway just to fuck with the system and make'm work harder.

--
Posted on RetroBBS