Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 06:46:23 +0000
Subject: More improvements in rslight
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 2 Apr 2021 06:46 UTC

At least I hope they're improvements :)

I recently split 'interests' on two of my sites by adding 'tech' and moving groups there. Since the section name is in the url, that would mean that the moved groups would no longer work by incoming links (/interests/<some_group> would be incorrect).

Now rslight detects if the group requested is in the section in the url and if not, it rewrites the url to the correct section. I could make it work fine without rewriting the url and just allowing the group to display in any section, but then settings specific to a section would be incorrect. For example, you would be able to use a section allowing anonymous posting to post to groups the admin does not wish to allow anonymous.

One of my sites (retrobbs) uses a completely different upstream server for one section, so the settings are quite different. Rewriting the url solves these issues.

Hopefully it works ok. It's running now on rslight.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: More improvements in rslight

<20210403005606.753629e9c00f179aab2e5f81@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=394&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#394

Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 00:56:06 -0700
From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: More improvements in rslight
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 3 Apr 2021 07:56 UTC

On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 06:46:23 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> At least I hope they're improvements :)

> Now rslight detects if the group requested is in the section in the url and if not, it rewrites the url to the correct section. I could make it work fine without rewriting the url and just allowing the group to display in any section, but then settings specific to a section would be incorrect. For example, you would be able to use a section allowing anonymous posting to post to groups the admin does not wish to allow anonymous.
> Hopefully it works ok. It's running now on rslight.

This seems to be working fine. So, outdated links will put you in the right section automatically and if you then send a link, the new section is there.

Now, just fixed a "bug" that made page loading slow. It was actually a problem in newsportal from quite a while ago that I worked around to get last article info displayed. newsportal used to read/write it's groups files without locking and everytime someone posted while someone was reading it would cause the group to completely rebuild, and to have incorrect last article info data. I fixed that a while back but my workaround, which was slow, was still in the code.

I've removed the workaround and depend now on the modified newsportal code to provide the info. Since the info is kept in one small file per group, it is very fast. Hopefully group page loading is much faster now.

Retro Guy