From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Subject: Planet Debian
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 08:58:28 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 08:58 UTC

Junichi Uekawa: February.
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/diary/daily/2023-Feb-1.html.en#2023-Feb-1-09:19:43
February 1, 2023, 12:19 AM
February. Working through crosvm dependencies and found that cargo-debstatus does not dump all dependencies; seems like it skips over optional ones.
Haven't tracked down what is going on yet but at least it seems like crosvm does not have all dependencies and can't build yet.
--------------------
Paul Wise: FLOSS Activities January 2023
http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2023/02/01/floss-activities/
February 1, 2023, 12:02 AM
Focus
This month I didn't have any particular focus.
I just worked on issues in my info bubble.
Changes
pydispatcher:
fix doc build with Python 3.11
pyemd:
cleanups
sourcehut:
add repo description to
git,
hg
summary page titles
Debian security tracker:
add more CVE search services
Debian BTS usertags:
fixed some cross, ftp-master, website, porting usertags
Debian screenshots:
deleted
wine (WinXP not Wine)
Debian package uploads:
python-docutils,
pydispatcher,
celery
Debian wiki pages:
Arch...
--------------------
Jonathan McDowell: Enabling retrogaming with Kodi on Debian
https://www.earth.li/~noodles/blog/2023/01/kodi-retro-gaming.html
January 31, 2023, 5:00 PM
For some reason my son has started to be really into watching playthroughs of Mario and similar games on Youtube. I don’t understand the appeal, but it’s less distracting as background than Paw Patrol, so I’m not complaining. He’s not quite at the stage he’s ready to play the games himself, but it’s coming. So I figured it would be neat to sort out some retrogaming bits ready for when that happens.
I already have a Kodi box underneath the TV; it doesn’t get as much use these days ...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: #39: Faster Feedback Systems – A Continuous Integration Example
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/01/30#039_faster_feedback_system_tiny_vs_tidy_example
January 31, 2023, 3:11 AM
Welcome to the 39th post in the relatively randomly recurring rants,
or R4 for short. Today’s
post picks up where the previous post #38:
Faster Feedback Systems started. As we argued in #38,
the need for fast feedback loops is fairly universal and
widespread. Fairly shortly after we posted #38,
useR! 2022 happened and one presentation had the key line
Waiting 1-24 minutes for a build to finish can be a massive time
suck.
which we would like to come back to today. Furthermore, the
unimitable ...
--------------------
Arturo Borrero González: Debian and the adventure of the screen resolution
https://ral-arturo.org/2023/01/30/console.html
January 30, 2023, 5:21 PM
I read somewhere a nice meme about Linux: Do you want an operating system or do you want an adventure? I love
it, because it is so true. What you are about to read is my adventure to set a usable screen resolution in a fresh
Debian testing installation.
The context is that I have two different Lenovo Thinkpad laptops with 16” screen and nvidia graphic cards. They are both
installed with the latest Debian testing. I use the closed-source nvidia drivers (they seem to work better than the nouvea...
--------------------
Russell Coker: Links January 2023
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2023/01/30/links-january-2023/
January 30, 2023, 1:17 PM
The Intercept has an amusing and interesting article about senior Facebook employees testifying that they don’t know where Facebook stores all it’s data on users [1]. One lesson all programmers can learn from this is to document all these things in an orderly manner.
Cory Doctorow wrote a short informative article about inflation from a modern monetary theory perspective [2].
Russ Allbery wrote an insightful blog post about effecive altruism and respect for disadvantaged people [3]. GiveDire...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 234 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-234-released/
January 30, 2023, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 234. This version includes the following changes:
[ FC Stegerman ]
* test_text_proper_indentation requires at least file version 5.44.
(Closes: reproducible-builds/diffoscope#329)
You find out more by visiting the project homepage....
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppTOML 0.2.2 on CRAN: Now with macOS-on-Intel Builds
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/01/29#rcpptoml_0.2.2
January 29, 2023, 10:23 PM
Just days after a build-fix
release (for aarch64) and still only a few weeks after the 0.2.0
release of RcppTOML
and its switch to toml++, we have
another bugfix release 0.2.2 on CRAN also bringing release 3.3.0 of
toml++ (even if we
had large chunks of 3.3.0 already incorporated).
TOML is a file format that is most
suitable for configurations, as it is meant to be edited by
humans but read by computers. It emphasizes strong readability
for humans while at the same time supporting strong typing
--------------------
Petter Reinholdtsen: Is the desktop recommending your program for opening its files?
https://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Is_the_desktop_recommending_your_program_for_opening_its_files_.html
January 29, 2023, 10:00 AM
Linux desktop systems
have
standardized how programs present themselves to the desktop
system. If a package include a .desktop file in
/usr/share/applications/, Gnome, KDE, LXDE, Xfce and the other desktop
environments will pick up the file and use its content to generate the
menu of available programs in the system. A lesser known fact is that
a package can also explain to the desktop system how to recognize the
files created by the program in question, and use it to open these
files on reque...
--------------------
Gunnar Wolf: miniDebConf Tamil Nadu 2023
https://gwolf.org/2023/01/minidebconf-tamil-nadu-2023.html
January 29, 2023, 7:17 AM
Greetings from Viluppuram, Tamil Nadu, South India!
As a preparation and warm-up for DebConf in September, the Debian
people in India have organized a miniDebConf. Well, I don’t want to be
unfair to them — They have been regularly organizing miniDebConfs for
over a decade, and while most of the attendees are students local to
this state in South India (the very ``tip’’ of the country; Tamil Nadu
is the Eastern side, and Kerala, where Kochi is and DebConf will be
held, is the Western s...
--------------------
Valhalla's Things: Hello World!
https://blog.trueelena.org/blog/2023/01/29-hello-world/index.html
January 29, 2023, 12:00 AM
Posted on January 29, 2023

Welcome to my new blog!
Or rather, strictly speaking, welcome to my first blog!
Back when everybody had a blog, I had an old-fashioned personal website where pages were organized by topic rather than by date, so now that blogs are dead (or so they say), I guess it’s time for me to have one :) .
The old website is still online, but updating it is getting harder, both for organizational reasons and because the static generator I’ve used is ...
--------------------
Scarlett Gately Moore: KDE Snaps, Debian uploads and much more in the works!
https://www.scarlettgatelymoore.dev/kde-snaps-debian-uploads-and-much-more-in-the-works/
January 28, 2023, 3:01 PM
Witch Wells, AZ Snow
It has been a very busy few weeks as we endured snowstorm after snowstorm!
I have made some progress on the Mycroft in debian adventure! This will slow down as we enter freeze for bookworm and there is no way we will make it into bookworm as there are some significant issues to solve.
lingua-franco uploaded and accepted
pako uploaded and accepted
speechpy-fast uploaded
fitipy ready to upload
On the KDE side of things:
Plasma-bigscreen uploaded and a...
--------------------
Emmanuel Kasper: Table of correspondence between AWS / Azure / Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform / upstream projects
https://00formicapunk00.wordpress.com/2023/01/28/table-of-correspondence-between-aws-azure-red-hat-openshift-container-platform-upstream-projects/
January 28, 2023, 1:14 PM
If you know the Amazon Web Services or Azure portfolio, and you are interested in OpenShift or the OKD OpenShift community distribution, this is a table of corresponding technologies.
OpenShift is Red Hat’s Kubernetes distribution: it is basically the upstream Kubernetes delivered with monitoring, logging, CI/CD, underlying OS, tested upgrade paths not found with a manual kubernetes.io kubeadm install.
After passing the two corresponding certifications, my opinion on cloud operators is that it...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: The Library of the Dead
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/1-250-76777-6.html
January 28, 2023, 3:54 AM
Review: The Library of the Dead, by T.L. Huchu

Series:
Edinburgh Nights #1

Publisher:
Tor

Copyright:
2021

Printing:
2022

ISBN:
1-250-76777-6

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
329

The Library of the Dead is the first book in a post-apocalyptic
(sort of) urban fantasy series set in Edinburgh, written by Zimbabwean
author (and current Scotland resident) T.L. Huchu.
Ropa is a ghosttalker. This means she can...
--------------------
Matthew Garrett: Further adventures in Apple PKCS#11 land
https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/65462.html
January 27, 2023, 11:39 PM
After my previous efforts, I wrote up a PKCS#11 module of my own that had no odd restrictions about using non-RSA keys and I tested it. And things looked much better - ssh successfully obtained the key, negotiated with the server to determine that it was present in authorized_keys, and then went to actually do the key verification step. At which point things went wrong - the Sign() method in my PKCS#11 module was never called, and a strangedebug1: identity_sign: sshkey_sign: error in libcryptosi...
--------------------
Matt Brown: Goals for 2023
https://www.mattb.nz/w/2023/01/27/goals-for-2023/
January 26, 2023, 7:50 PM
This is the second of a two-part post covering my goals for 2023. See the first part to understand the vision, mission and strategy driving these goals.
I want to thank my friend Nat, and Will Larson whose annual reviews I’ve always enjoyed reading for inspiring me to write these posts.
I’ve found the process articulating my motivations and goals very useful to clarify my thoughts and create tangible next steps. I’m grateful for that in and of itself, but I also hope that by publishing thi...
--------------------
Louis-Philippe Véronneau: Montreal Subway Foot Traffic Data, 2022 edition
https://veronneau.org/montreal-subway-foot-traffic-data-2022-edition.html
January 26, 2023, 6:30 PM
For the fourth year in a row, I've asked Société de Transport de Montréal,
Montreal's transit agency, for the foot traffic data of Montreal's subway.
By clicking on a subway station, you'll be redirected to a graph of the
station's foot traffic.
Orange line (top10)
Green line (top10)
Blue line
Yellow line
Global Top 10
Licences
The subway map displayed on this page, the original dataset and my
modified dataset are licenced under CCO 1.0: they are in
the public domain.
The R code I ...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: Minidebconf Tamilnadu 2023, Tinnitus, Cooking, Books and Series.
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2023/01/26/minidebconf-tamilnadu-2023-tinnitus-cooking-books-and-series/
January 26, 2023, 1:34 PM
First up is Minidebconf Tamilnadu 2023 that would be held on 28-29 January 2023. You can find rest of the details here. I do hope we get to see/hear some good stuff from the Minidebconf. Best of luck to all those who are applying.
Tinnitus
During the lock-down of March 2020, I became aware of noise in ears and subsequently major hearing loss. It took me quite a while to know that Tinnitus happens to both those who have hearing loss as well as not. I keep running into threads like this and...
--------------------
Bálint Réczey: How to speed up your next build with Firebuild?
https://balintreczey.hu/blog/how-to-speed-up-your-next-build-with-firebuild/
January 26, 2023, 9:06 AM
TL;DR: Just prefix your build command (or any command) with firebuild:
firebuild &lt;build command&gt;
OK, but how does it work?
Firebuild intercepts all processes started by the command to cache their outputs. Next time when the command or any of its descendant commands is executed with the same parameters, inputs and environment, the outputs are replayed (the command is shortcut) from the cache instead of running the command again.
This is similar to how ccache and other compiler-...
--------------------
Matt Brown: Vision, Mission and Strategy
https://www.mattb.nz/w/2023/01/26/vision-mission-and-strategy/
January 26, 2023, 4:30 AM
This is part one of a two-part post, covering high-level thoughts around my motivations and vision. Part two (to be published tomorrow) contains my specific goals for 2023.
A new year is upon us! My plan was to be 6 months into the journey of starting a business by this point.
I made some very tentative progress towards that goal in 2022, registering a company and starting some consulting work, but on the whole I’ve found it much harder than expected to gather the necessary energy to begin tha...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppTOML 0.2.1 on CRAN: Small Build Fix for Some Arches
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/01/25#rcpptoml_0.2.1
January 26, 2023, 12:54 AM
Two weeks after the release of RcppTOML
0.2.0 and the switch to toml++, we have a
quick bugfix release 0.2.1.
TOML is a file format that is most
suitable for configurations, as it is meant to be edited by
humans but read by computers. It emphasizes strong readability
for humans while at the same time supporting strong typing
as well as immediate and clear error reports. On small typos
you get parse errors, rather than silently corrupted garbage. Much
preferable to any and all of XML, JSON or YAM...
--------------------
Bits from Debian: New Debian Developers and Maintainers (November and December 2022)
https://bits.debian.org/2023/01/new-developers-2022-12.html
January 24, 2023, 3:00 PM
The following contributors got their Debian Developer accounts in the last two months:
Dennis Braun (snd)
Raúl Benencia (rul)
The following contributors were added as Debian Maintainers in the last two months:
Gioele Barabucci
Agathe Porte
Braulio Henrique Marques Souto
Matthias Geiger
Alper Nebi Yasak
Fabian Grünbichler
Lance Lin
Congratulations!...
--------------------
Kentaro Hayashi: Porterboxes and alternatives
https://kenhys.hatenablog.jp/entry/2023/01/24/202912
January 24, 2023, 11:29 AM
As you know, Debian projects and sponsor provides so-called "porterbox", but it does not cover all architectures.
There are some alternatives to fix architecture-specific bugs.
For the record, let's pick it up them. [1][2][3]
porterbox
deb-o-matic
qemu
amd64
adayevskaya.d.o
debomatic-amd64.d.n
DQIB ready
arm64
amdahl.d.o
debomatic-arm64.d.n
DQIB ready
armel
amdahl.d.o abel.d.o
debomatic-armel.d.n
NG
armhf
amdahl.d.o abel.d.o harris.d.o
debomatic-armhf.d.n
DQIB ready
i386
exodar...
--------------------
Matthew Garrett: Build security with the assumption it will be used against your friends
https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/65272.html
January 23, 2023, 10:44 AM
Working in information security means building controls, developing technologies that ensure that sensitive material can only be accessed by people that you trust. It also means categorising people into "trustworthy" and "untrustworthy", and trying to come up with a reasonable way to apply that such that people can do their jobs without all your secrets being available to just anyone in the company who wants to sell them to a competitor. It means ensuring that accounts who you consider to be thr...
--------------------
Petter Reinholdtsen: Opensnitch, the application level interactive firewall, heading into the Debian archive
https://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Opensnitch__the_application_level_interactive_firewall__heading_into_the_Debian_archive.html
January 22, 2023, 10:55 PM
While reading a
blog
post claiming MacOS X recently started scanning local files and
reporting information about them to Apple, even on a machine where
all such callback features had been disabled, I came across a
description of the Little Snitch application for MacOS X. It seemed
like a very nice tool to have in the tool box, and I decided to see if
something similar was available for Linux.
It did not take long to find
the OpenSnitch
package, which has been in development since 2017, and now...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Barbie crowns
https://jmtd.net/log/barbie_crown/
January 22, 2023, 9:14 PM
My daughters have had great fun designing and printing crowns for their
Barbies. We've been through several design iterations, and several colour
choices. Not all Barbies have the same head circumference. Real crowns probably
don't have a perfectly circular internal shape.
They changed their minds on the green crown soon after it finished, but we
managed to find a grateful recipient.
crown v1.scad (1.4k)...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: Rcpp 1.0.10 on CRAN: Regular Update
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/01/22#rcpp_1.0.10
January 22, 2023, 3:51 PM
The Rcpp team is thrilled to announce the newest release 1.0.10 of
the Rcpp package which is hitting CRAN now and will go to Debian shortly. Windows and macOS
builds should appear at CRAN in the next few days, as will builds in
different Linux distribution and of course at r2u. The release was
prepared a few days ago, but given the widespread use at CRAN it took a
few days to be processed. As always, our sincere thanks to the CRAN
maintainers Uwe Ligges and Kurt Hornik. This release continues wi...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: BH 1.81.0-1 oon CRAN: New Upstream, New Library, sprintf Change
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/01/22#bh_1.81.0-1
January 22, 2023, 3:14 PM
Boost is a very large and
comprehensive set of (peer-reviewed) libraries for the C++ programming
language, containing well over one hundred individual libraries. The BH package provides a
sizeable subset of header-only libraries for (easier, no linking
required) use by R. It is fairly widely used: the (partial) CRAN mirror
logs (aggregated from the cloud mirrors) show over 32.6 million package
downloads.
Version 1.81.0 of Boost was released in December following the
regular Boost release schedul...
--------------------
Simon Josefsson: Understanding Trisquel
https://blog.josefsson.org/2023/01/22/understanding-trisquel/
January 22, 2023, 11:10 AM
Ever wondered how Trisquel and Ubuntu differs and what’s behind the curtain from a developer perspective? I have. Sharing what I’ve learnt will allow you to increase knowledge and trust in Trisquel too.
Trisquel GNU/Linux logo
The scripts to convert an Ubuntu archive into a Trisquel archive are available in the ubuntu-purge repository. The easy to read purge-focal script lists the packages to remove from Ubuntu 20.04 Focal when it is imported into Trisquel 10.0 Nabia. The purge-jam...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 233 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-233-released/
January 20, 2023, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 233. This version includes the following changes:
[ FC Stegerman ]
* Split packaging metadata into an extras_require.json file instead of using
the pep517 and the pip modules directly. This was causing build failures if
not using a virtualenv and/or building without internet access.
(Closes: #1029066, reproducible-builds/diffoscope#325)
[ Vagrant Cascadian ]
* Add an external tool reference for GNU Guix ...
--------------------
Antoine Beaupré: Mastodon comments in ikiwiki
https://anarc.at/blog/2023-01-19-mastodon-comments-in-ikiwiki/
January 19, 2023, 9:50 PM
Today I noticed bounces in my mail box. They were from ikiwiki trying
to send registration confirmation email to users who probably never
asked for it.
I'm getting truly fed up with spam in my wiki. At this point, all
comments are manually approved and I still get trouble: now it's
scammers spamming the registration form with dummy accounts, which
bounce back to me when I make new posts, or just generate backscatter
spam for the confirmation email. It's really bad. I have hundreds of
users regi...
--------------------
Steinar H. Gunderson: Not speaking at FOSDEM
http://blog.sesse.net/blog/tech/2023-01-19-01-17_not_speaking_at_fosdem.html
January 19, 2023, 12:17 AM
The schedules are out, and evidently, I could not find anywhere to
have a plocate talk; the only devroom I could find that was remotely
relevant (Distributions) didn't include me (perhaps because I was
a day or so after the submission deadline?), and when I moved to
lightning talks, evidently that didn't fit either.
So, 54 devrooms, and no place for a topic that is dear to my heart.
Achievement unlocked, I guess? Somewhat ironic when the last part of the talk
would be a lament that we don't hav...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Belfast (David Holmes Remix)
https://jmtd.net/log/belfast/
January 18, 2023, 9:36 AM
This morning’s record to start the day is David Holmes’s remix of “Belfast”, by Orbital: the latest cover mount record with Electronic Sound magazine.
This, and several other new remixes are available on the recent compilation “30 Something” which, despite being yet another comp, I’ve found quite compelling.
An unusual decision by ES: they’ve split the remix across both sides, but kept the RPM at 45. I haven’t ran the numbers to figure out if they could have fit it on...
--------------------
Matthew Garrett: PKCS#11. hardware keystores, and Apple frustrations
https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/64968.html
January 18, 2023, 5:26 AM
There's a bunch of ways you can store cryptographic keys. The most obvious is to just stick them on disk, but that has the downside that anyone with access to the system could just steal them and do whatever they wanted with them. At the far end of the scale you have Hardware Security Modules (HSMs), hardware devices that are specially designed to self destruct if you try to take them apart and extract the keys, and which will generate an audit trail of every key operation. In between you have t...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: Forward
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/1-5420-9206-X.html
January 18, 2023, 3:28 AM
Review: Forward, edited by Blake Crouch

Publisher:
Amazon Original Stories

Copyright:
September 2019

ISBN:
1-5420-9206-X

ISBN:
1-5420-4363-8

ISBN:
1-5420-9357-0

ISBN:
1-5420-0434-9

ISBN:
1-5420-4363-8

ISBN:
1-5420-4425-1

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
300

This is another Amazon collection of short fiction, this time mostly at
novelette length. (The longer ones m...
--------------------
Arnaud Rebillout: Build container images in GitLab CI (iptables-legacy at the rescue)
https://arnaudr.io/2023/01/18/build-container-images-in-gitlab-ci-iptables-legacy-at-the-rescue/
January 18, 2023, 12:00 AM
It's 2023 and these days, building a container image in a CI pipeline should be
straightforward. So let's try.
For this blog post we'll focus on GitLab SaaS only, that is,
gitlab.com, as it's what I use for work and for personal
projects.
To get started, we just need two files in our Git repository:
a Containerfile (or Dockerfile if you prefer to name it this way) that
defines how to build a container image.
a .gitlab-ci.yml file that defines what the CI should do. In the example
below, w...
--------------------
Thomas Lange: FAI 6.0 released and new ISO images using Debian 12 bookworm/testing
http://blog.fai-project.org/posts/fai6/
January 17, 2023, 4:20 PM
After more than a year, a new major FAI release is ready to download.
Following new features are included:
add support for release specification in package_config via release=&lt;name&gt;
the partitioning tool now supports partition labels with GPT
support partition labels and partition uuids in fstab
support for Alpine Linux and Arch Linux package managers in install_packages
Ubuntu 22.04 and Rocky Linux 9 support added
add support for NVme devices in fai-kvm
add ssh key for root remote acce...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: Night and Silence
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-698-18353-3.html
January 17, 2023, 3:34 AM
Review: Night and Silence, by Seanan McGuire

Series:
October Daye #12

Publisher:
DAW Books

Copyright:
2018

ISBN:
0-698-18353-3

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
353

Night and Silence is the 12th book in Seanan McGuire's long-running
October Daye Celtic-inspired urban fantasy series. This is a "read the
books in order" sort of series; you definitely do not want to start here.
Gillian, Toby's estranged daughter, has be...
--------------------
Gunnar Wolf: Back to Understanding Computers and Cognition
https://gwolf.org/2023/01/back-to-understanding-computers-and-cognition.html
January 16, 2023, 4:29 AM
As many of you know, I work at UNAM, Mexico’s largest university. My
work is split in two parts: My “full-time” job is to be the systems
and network administrator at the Economics Research
Institute, and I do some hours of teaching
at the Engineering Faculty.
At the Institute, my role is academic — but although I have tried to
frame my works in a way amenable to analysis grounded on the Social
Sciences (Construcción Colaborativa del
Conocimiento, Hecho con Creative
Commons, Mecanismos ...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: The Truth
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-06-230736-3.html
January 16, 2023, 2:51 AM
Review: The Truth, by Terry Pratchett

Series:
Discworld #25

Publisher:
Harper

Copyright:
November 2000

Printing:
August 2014

ISBN:
0-06-230736-3

Format:
Mass market

Pages:
435

The Truth is the 25th Discworld novel. Some reading order guides
group it loosely into an "industrial revolution" sequence following
Moving Pictures, but while there are
thematic similarities I'll talk about in a moment, ...
--------------------
Freexian Collaborators: Monthly report about Debian Long Term Support, December 2022 (by Anton Gladky)
https://www.freexian.com/blog/debian-lts-report-2022-12/
January 16, 2023, 12:00 AM
Like each month, have a look at the work funded by Freexian’s Debian LTS offering.
Debian LTS contributors
In December, 17 contributors have been paid to work on Debian
LTS, their reports are available:
Abhijith PA
did 3.0h (out of 0h assigned and 14.0h from previous period), thus carrying over 11.0h to the next month.
Anton Gladky
did 8.0h (out of 6.0h assigned and 9.0h from previous period), thus carrying over 7.0h to the next month.
Ben Hutchings
did 24.0h (out of 9.0h assigned and 15.0h f...
--------------------
Matthew Garrett: Blogging and microblogging
https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/64660.html
January 15, 2023, 10:40 PM
Long-term Linux users may remember that Alan Cox used to write an online diary. This was before the concept of a "Weblog" had really become a thing, and there certainly weren't any expectations around what one was used for - while now blogging tends to imply a reasonably long-form piece on a specific topic, Alan was just sitting there noting small life concerns or particular technical details in interesting problems he'd solved that day. For me, that was fascinating. I was trying to figure out h...
--------------------
Kentaro Hayashi: bibata cursor theme is available on Debian (unstable)
https://kenhys.hatenablog.jp/entry/2023/01/14/151612
January 14, 2023, 6:16 AM
Recently bibata cursor theme is available on Debian (unstable)
github.com
You can install via sudo apt install -y bibata-cursor-theme.
After you installed its theme, you can configure the cursor theme via desktop configuration. (budgie desktop screenshot)
Set bibata-cursor-theme
In bibata-cursor-theme, you can choose the following cursor themes:
Bibata Original Amber: Yellowish and sharp edge bibata cursors.
Bibata Modern Amber: Yellowish and rounded edge bibata cursors.
Bibata Original C...
--------------------
Ian Jackson: SGO (and my) VPN and network access tools - in bookworm
https://diziet.dreamwidth.org/14161.html
January 14, 2023, 12:41 AM
Recently, we managed to get secnet and hippotat into Debian. They are on track to go into Debian bookworm. This completes in Debian the set of VPN/networking tools I (and other Greenend) folks have been using for many years.
The Sinister Greenend Organisation’s suite of network access tools consists mainly of:
secnet - VPN.
hippotat - IP-over-HTTP (workaround for bad networks)
userv ipif - user-created network interfaces
secnet
secnet is our very mature VPN system.
Its basic protocol idea is...
--------------------
Matt Brown: Rebooting...
https://www.mattb.nz/w/2023/01/14/rebooting.../
January 14, 2023, 12:00 AM
Hi!
After nearly 7 years of dormancy, I’m rebooting this website and have a goal to write regularly on a variety of topics going forward. More on that and my goals in a coming post…
For now, this is just a placeholder note to help double-check that everything on the new site is working as expected and the letters are flowing through the “pipes” in the right places.
Technical Details
I’ve migrated the site from Wordpress, to a fully static configuration using Hugo and TailwindCSS for he...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 232 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-232-released/
January 13, 2023, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 232. This version includes the following changes:
[ Chris Lamb ]
* Allow ICC tests to (temporarily) fail.
* Update debian/tests/control after the addition of PyPDF 3 support.
[ FC Stegerman ]
* Update regular expression for Android .APK files.
[ Sam James ]
* Support PyPDF version 3.
You find out more by visiting the project homepage....
--------------------
Jonathan McDowell: Building a read-only Debian root setup: Part 1
https://www.earth.li/~noodles/blog/2023/01/debian-read-only-root-part1.html
January 12, 2023, 9:38 PM
I mentioned in the post about upgrading my home internet that part of the work I did was creating a read-only Debian root with a squashfs image. This post covers the details of how I boot with that image; a later post will cover how I build the squashfs image.
First, David Reader kindly pointed me at his rodebian setup, which was helpful in making me think about the whole problem but ultimately not the direction I went. Primarily because on the old router (an RB3011) I am space constrained, wit...
--------------------
Daniel Lange: Happy tenth birthday, dear Thunar bug
https://daniel-lange.com/archives/177-Happy-tenth-birthday,-dear-Thunar-bug.html
January 10, 2023, 11:00 PM
Thunar, the Xfce4 file manager, has a bug that it underflows the time remaining for a file copy since ten years now (bugzilla, gitlab). Happy birthday!...
--------------------
Matthew Garrett: Integrating Linux with Okta Device Trust
https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/64311.html
January 10, 2023, 5:48 AM
I've written about bearer tokens and how much pain they cause me before, but sadly wishing for a better world doesn't make it happen so I'm making do with what's available. Okta has a feature called Device Trust which allows to you configure access control policies that prevent people obtaining tokens unless they're using a trusted device. This doesn't actually bind the tokens to the hardware in any way, so if a device is compromised or if a user is untrustworthy this doesn't prevent the token e...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: Black Stars
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/1-5420-3272-5.html
January 9, 2023, 5:54 AM
Review: Black Stars, edited by Nisi Shawl &amp; Latoya Peterson

Publisher:
Amazon Original Stories

Copyright:
August 2021

ISBN:
1-5420-3272-5

ISBN:
1-5420-3270-9

ISBN:
1-5420-3271-7

ISBN:
1-5420-3273-3

ISBN:
1-5420-3268-7

ISBN:
1-5420-3269-5

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
168

This is a bit of an odd duck from a metadata standpoint. Black
Stars is a series of sho...
--------------------
Gunnar Wolf: Back to Xochicalco
https://gwolf.org/2023/01/back-to-xochicalco.html
January 9, 2023, 5:20 AM
In Mexico, we have the great luck to live among vestiges of long-gone
cultures, some that were conquered and in some way got adapted and
survived into our modern, mostly-West-Europan-derived society, and
some that thrived but disappeared many more centuries ago. And
although not everybody feels the same way, in my family we have always
enjoyed visiting archaeological sites — when I was a child and today.
Some of the regulars that follow this blog (or its syndicators) will
remember Xochicalco,...
--------------------
Petter Reinholdtsen: LinuxCNC MQTT publisher component
https://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/LinuxCNC_MQTT_publisher_component.html
January 8, 2023, 6:30 PM
I watched a 2015
video from Andreas Schiffler the other day, where he set up
LinuxCNC to send status
information to the MQTT broker IBM Bluemix. As I also use MQTT for
graphing, it occured to me that a generic MQTT LinuxCNC component
would be useful and I set out to implement it. Today I got the first
draft limping along and submitted as
a patch to the
LinuxCNC project.
The simple part was setting up the MQTT publishing code in Python.
I already have set up other parts submitting data to my M...
--------------------
Anuradha Weeraman: Parallelizing and running distributed builds with distcc
https://anuradha.medium.com/parallelizing-and-running-distributed-builds-with-distcc-61f3470c0f69?source=rss-ade561389abc------2
January 8, 2023, 4:23 PM
Parallelizing the compilation of a large codebase is a breeze with distcc, which allows you to spread the load across multiple nodes and speed up the compilation time.Here’s a sample network topology for a distributed build:Install distcc on the three Debian/Ubuntu-based nodes:# apt install distccEdit /etc/default/distcc and set:STARTDISTCC="true"# Customize for your environmentALLOWEDNETS="192.168.2.0/24"# Specify your network deviceLISTENER="192.168.2.146"Additionally, the JOBS and NICE var...
--------------------
Scarlett Gately Moore: Debian: Coming soon! MycroftAI! KDE snaps update.
https://www.scarlettgatelymoore.dev/debian-coming-soon-mycroftai-kde-snaps-update/
January 8, 2023, 3:31 PM
About Mycroft
I am excited to announce that I have joined the MycroftAI team in Salsa and working hard to get this packaged up and released in Debian. You can track our progress here:
https://salsa.debian.org/mycroftai-team
Snaps are on temporary hold while we get everything switched over to core22. This includes the neon-extension, that requires merges and store requests to be honored. Hopefully folks are returning from holidays and things will start moving again. Thank you for your p...
--------------------
Antoine Beaupré: 20 years blogging
https://anarc.at/blog/2023-01-07-bring-back-blogging/
January 8, 2023, 4:09 AM
Many folks have woken up to the dangers of commercialization and
centralisation of this very fine internet we have around here. For
many of us, of course, it's one big "I told you so"...
(To fair, I stopped "telling you so" because evangelism is pretty
annoying. It's certainly dishonest coming from an atheist, so I preach
by example now. I often wonder what works better. But I digress.)
Colleagues have been posting about getting back into blogging. This
post from gwolf, in particular, reviews ...
--------------------
Charles Plessy: Could somebody patch Firefox to display Markdown files?
http://charles.plessy.org/Debian/debi%C3%A2neries/markdown/
January 8, 2023, 12:18 AM
When Firefox receives a file with media type text/markdown, it prompts the
user to download it, while other browsers display it as plain text. In the
ticket 1319262, it is proposed to display Markdown files by default, but
there needs a patch…
--------------------
Reproducible Builds: Reproducible Builds in December 2022
https://reproducible-builds.org/reports/2022-12/
January 7, 2023, 3:22 PM
Welcome to the December 2022 report from the Reproducible Builds project.
We are extremely pleased to announce that the dates for the Reproducible Builds Summit in 2023 have been announced in 2022 already:
When: October 31st, November 1st, November 2nd 2023.
Where: Dock Europe, Hamburg, Germany.
We plan to spend three days continuing to the grow of the Reproducible Builds effort. As in previous events, the exact content of the meeting will be shaped by the participants. And, as ment...
--------------------
Jonathan Carter: What are the most important improvements that Debian need to make?
https://jonathancarter.org/2023/01/07/what-are-the-most-important-improvements-that-debian-need-to-make/
January 7, 2023, 12:19 PM
“What are the most important improvements that Debian need to make?” – I decided to see what all the fuss is about and asked ChatGPT that exact question.
It’s response:
The list of potential improvements for Debian that I provided is based on my understanding of the challenges and opportunities that software projects like Debian typically face, as well as my understanding of the goals and values of the Debian project. It is not based on any specific information about the current p...
--------------------
Thorsten Alteholz: My Debian Activities in December 2022
http://blog.alteholz.eu/2023/01/my-debian-activities-in-december-2022/
January 6, 2023, 4:34 PM
FTP master
This month I accepted 276 and rejected 27 packages. The overall number of packages that got accepted was 288.
Debian LTS
This was my hundred-second month that I did some work for the Debian LTS initiative, started by Raphael Hertzog at Freexian.
This month my all in all workload has been 14h but due to Christmas I managed only to do 10h.
During that time I uploaded:
[DLA 3256-1] xorg-server security update for six CVEs
[DLA 3255-1] mplayer security update for ten CVEs
Debian ELTS
Jonathan McDowell: Finally making use of bpftrace
https://www.earth.li/~noodles/blog/2023/01/finally-using-bpftrace.html
January 6, 2023, 8:29 AM
I am old enough to remember when BPF meant the traditional Berkeley Packet Filter, and was confined to filtering network packets. It’s grown into much, much, more as eBPF and getting familiar with it so that I can add it to the suite of tips and tricks I can call upon has been on my to-do list for a while. To this end I was lucky enough to attend a live walk through of bpftrace last year. bpftrace is a high level tool that allows the easy creation and execution of eBPF tracers under Linux.
Re...

Click here to read the complete article