From: AnonUser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Subject: Firefox browser maker Mozilla is taking on fake news
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 01:54:38 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="20900"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
 by: AnonUser - Thu, 23 Aug 2018 01:54 UTC

Remember when a web browser's mission was to display and format content
from a web server?

"The company sees misinformation as counter to what it says is its central
mission — making the Internet a global public resource. For the web to
be a healthy place for users, it can't be polluted by misinformation"

http://uk.businessinsider.com/mozilla-new-initiative-counter-fake-news-2017-8?r=US&IR=T

Caroline Cakebread
Aug. 9, 2017, 3:00 PM

Mozilla, the company that spurred innovation on the web with its Firefox
browser, now hopes to help solve the fake news problem.

The company is launching a new program to tackle the issue. Dubbed the
Mozilla Information Trust Initiative (MITI), the project is aimed at
bringing together companies and interest groups from around the web to
better understand the fake news problem and figure out what, if anything,
can be done to fix it.

"We believe that having more eyes and brains on anything usually makes it
better," said Katharina Borchert, Mozilla’s chief innovation officer.

For Mozilla, taking on fake news isn't a sideshow from its software
projects. The company sees misinformation as counter to what it says is
its central mission — making the Internet a global public resource. For
the web to be a healthy place for users, it can't be polluted by
misinformation, Borchert said.

"If we don’t manage to lessen the mental burden on people constantly
worrying if information is trustworthy, it lessens the value of the open
web for everyone who participates, and poses a lot of problems
downstream," she said.

Related to the new project, Mozilla will soon be releasing a report on how
misinformation affects online users. The company's researchers examined
the news consumption habits of a subset of Firefox users — with their
permission — during the period leading up to and after the 2016
election. The resulting study will discuss how many new fake websites
popped up, how much fake news was consumed, and how that fake coverage
affected people's behavior.

Mozilla is encouraging other companies to look back at their own user
data, so that all involved can get a better understanding of the issue.
Borchert knows there is no “silver bullet” that everyone can implement
but hopes that through the new initiative, companies might be able to at
least agree on a single body of research. She's hoping they can agree on
questions and methodology they can use to study the issue.

"The more we know about the topic and what people actually look at and
how are they affected by that, the better we can design interventions for
them," said Borchert.

The MITI project won't just be studying the fake news problem. For
example, as part of the initiative, Mozilla will be doubling down its work
on existing products like Coral, which is an open source program designed
to help newsrooms to better manage online discussions.

Mozilla will also be trying to come up with ways to illustrate how fake
news affects people and plays on their emotions. Among the possibilities
they're considering: a virtual reality experience and some kind of art
installation.

Posted on RetroBBS II

Re: Firefox browser maker Mozilla is taking on fake news

<e84c10d75cd7abf1850ddc4b5811fb06@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=458&group=rocksolid.shared.news#458

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 20:18:29+0000
 by: anon - Thu, 23 Aug 2018 20:18 UTC

>The more we know about the topic and what people actually look at and how are they affected by that, the better we can design interventions for them

wtf does "interventions" mean ? to me smells like the same boring censorship discussion again...
"We know better what is good for you than you yourself. Therefore we will impose our view of the world on you so that you become like us". Boring !

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: Firefox browser maker Mozilla is taking on fake news

<f673901979a900cd2378734a2bb0ef2f$1@rslight.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=459&group=rocksolid.shared.news#459

From: AnonUser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 08:39:07 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="18612"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
 by: AnonUser - Fri, 24 Aug 2018 08:39 UTC

anon wrote:

>>The more we know about the topic and what people actually look at and how
are they affected by that, the better we can design interventions for them

> wtf does "interventions" mean ? to me smells like the same boring censorship
discussion again...
> "We know better what is good for you than you yourself. Therefore we will
impose our view of the world on you so that you become like us". Boring !

Exactly how I see it also.

I feel like I'm in a waiting room, reading a magazine, and some guy sits
next to me, talking to me like I'm a child, and points out what I should
and should not be reading.

How does the author of a web browser feel it's their place to filter
information? It's ridiculous.

Posted on Rocksolid Light.

Re: Firefox browser maker Mozilla is taking on fake news

<901e3046cf5348b192ba99e8fecee9c1$1@rslight.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=460&group=rocksolid.shared.news#460

From: AnonUser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 12:30:34 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="4951"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
 by: AnonUser - Fri, 24 Aug 2018 12:30 UTC

anon wrote:

>>The more we know about the topic and what people actually look at and how
are they affected by that, the better we can design interventions for them

> wtf does "interventions" mean ? to me smells like the same boring censorship
discussion again...
> "We know better what is good for you than you yourself. Therefore we will
impose our view of the world on you so that you become like us". Boring !

I see what you're saying about the word "interventions". It's actually
quite offensive that it's presented that way, but it clearly does show
intention.

I and a majority of people don't need an IT company to set us straight.

Posted on Rocksolid Light.

Re: Firefox browser maker Mozilla is taking on fake news

<a715fe00804cc0bcb5e6dce1054b5afe@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=461&group=rocksolid.shared.news#461

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 18:27:47+0000
 by: anon - Fri, 24 Aug 2018 18:27 UTC

>but it clearly does show intention.

oh yes, and i suspect that was not the intention.
the next version will read "hint" or "correction".

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: Firefox browser maker Mozilla is taking on fake news

<5833659a056f1d0f7da39f74524ae1ba@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=462&group=rocksolid.shared.news#462

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 20:43:22+0000
 by: anon - Fri, 24 Aug 2018 20:43 UTC

private telemetry~ privacy and torbb go down the drain~ censorship skyrockets~

Posted on def4.i2p