From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Subject: Planet Debian
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 10:19:25 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 10:19 UTC

Vasudev Kamath: Notes: Experimenting with ZRAM and Memory Over commit
https://copyninja.in/blog/zram_memory_overcommit.html
June 20, 2023, 5:25 AM
Introduction
The ZRAM module in the Linux kernel creates a memory-backed block device that
stores its content in a compressed format. It offers users the choice of
compression algorithms such as lz4, zstd, or lzo. These algorithms differ in
compression ratio and speed, with zstd providing the best compression but being
slower, while lz4 offers higher speed but lower compression.
Using ZRAM as Swap
One interesting use case for ZRAM is utilizing it as swap space in the system.
There are two util...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppArmadillo 0.12.4.1.0 on CRAN: New Upstream Bugfix
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/06/19#rcpparmadillo_0.12.4.1.0
June 19, 2023, 2:05 PM
Armadillo is a powerful
and expressive C++ template library for linear algebra and scientific
computing. It aims towards a good balance between speed and ease of use,
has a syntax deliberately close to Matlab, and is useful for algorithm
development directly in C++, or quick conversion of research code into
production environments. RcppArmadillo
integrates this library with the R environment and language–and is
widely used by (currently) 1079 other packages on CRAN, downloaded 29.6 million
tim...
--------------------
Daniel Lange: Linux kernel USB errors -71 and -110
https://daniel-lange.com/archives/183-Linux-kernel-USB-errors-71-and-110.html
June 19, 2023, 11:00 AM
After an upgrade of my PC's mainboard BIOS the boot would take a minute or more to complete and sometimes the lightdm login screen would sit there but not accept keyboard input for another minute or so. Then the keyboard got enabled and I could log in normally. Everything worked fine after that bootup struggle completed. This was fully reproducible and persisted across reboots. Weird.
The kernel dmesg log showed entries that looked suspicious:
Googleing these error -110 and error -71 is a bi...
--------------------
C.J. Collier: First taste of Debian 12
https://wp.c9h.org/cj/?p=1949
June 19, 2023, 4:49 AM
As some of you may know, the Debian project released v12, bookworm to stable on the 10th of this month. I haven’t had a reason to try it yet, but I’m downloading it now. My first thought is that it’s much larger than I expected. The normal sized version used to fit on a CD-ROM disk, so around 650MB. The netinst has until now been even smaller, with the most recent versions being about 256MB if I recall correctly. The netinst, now with proprietary firmware, weighs in over 700MB:
2023-0...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: spdl 0.0.5 on CRAN: Small Extension
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/06/18#spdl_0.0.5
June 18, 2023, 4:11 PM
Another quick update to the still somewhat new package spdl is now om CRAN, and will go to Debian soon
too. The key focus of spdl is to offer the
exact same interface to logging from both R and C++ by relying
on spdlog via my RcppSpdlog
package. Usage examples are shown on the RcppSpdlog docs
page.
This release add support for the wrappers init() and
log() wrapping the existing setup() function
but requiring only the level argument. This requires version 0.0.13 of
RcppSpdlog
which was released t...
--------------------
Louis-Philippe Véronneau: Solo V2: nice but flawed
https://veronneau.org/solo-v2-nice-but-flawed.html
June 18, 2023, 4:00 AM
EDIT: One of my 2 keys has died. There are what seems like golden bubbles
under the epoxy, over one of the chips and those were not there before. I've
emailed SoloKeys and I'm waiting for a reply, but for now, I've stopped using
the Solo V2 altogether :(
I recently received the two Solo V2 hardware tokens I ordered as part of their
crowdfunding campaign, back in March 2022. It did take them longer than
advertised to ship me the tokens, but that's hardly unexpected from such
small-scale, crowdfun...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppSpdlog 0.0.13 on CRAN: Small Extensions
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/06/17#rcppspdlog_0.0.13
June 18, 2023, 1:25 AM
Version 0.0.13 of RcppSpdlog is now
on CRAN and will be soon be
uploaded to Debian too. RcppSpdlog
bundles spdlog, a
wonderful header-only C++ logging library with all the bells and
whistles you would want that was written by Gabi Melman, and also includes fmt by Victor Zverovich. You can learn
more at the package
documention site.
This release adds a small (but handy) accessor generalisation:
Instead of calling setup() with two arguments for a label
and the logging level we now only require the...
--------------------
Bastian Venthur: Blag 2.0 released
https://venthur.de/2023-06-17-blag.html
June 17, 2023, 1:45 PM
A few days ago, I released a major update on blag, my blog-aware
static-site generator, which introduces a few backwards-incompatible changes
and many improvements over the old version.
Good-looking default theme
The old bare-bones default theme has been replaced with a good-looking one,
based on the one used on this blog:
It comes with a light- and dark theme that switches automatically based on the
browser setting, as well as fitting light- and dark syntax highlighting themes
for code blocks....
--------------------
John Goerzen: Using dar for Data Archiving
https://changelog.complete.org/archives/10527-using-dar-for-data-archiving
June 17, 2023, 1:16 AM
This is the third post in a series about data archiving to removable media (optical discs and hard drives). In the first, I explained the difference between backing up and archiving, established goals for the project, and said I’d evaluate git-annex and dar. The second post evaluated git-annex, and now it’s time to look at dar. The series will conclude with a post comparing git-annex with dar.
What is dar?
I could open with the same thing I did with git-annex, just changing the name of th...
--------------------
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer: Qt 6 in Debian bullseye, take 2
https://perezmeyer.com.ar/blog/2023/06/16/qt6-in-debian-bullseye-take-2/
June 16, 2023, 1:45 PM
Bookworm has been released and Bullseye is now old-stable. Non the less today I took the time to update the Qt 6 backports so they are as close as Bookworm as possible. Except security fixes are needed these ought to be the latest uploads of Qt 6 to bullseye-backports.
Hope you enjoyed them, and thanks again The Qt Company and ICS for making this possible....
--------------------
Russell Coker: BOINC and Idle Users
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2023/06/16/boinc-idle-users/
June 16, 2023, 1:37 PM
The BOINC distributed computing client in Debian (Bookworm and previous releases) can check the idle time via the X11 protocol and run GPU jobs when the interactive user is idle, so the user gets GPU power for graphics when they need it and when it’s idle BOINC uses it. This doesn’t work for Wayland and unfortunately no-one has written a Wayland equivalent of xprintidle (which shows the number of milliseconds that the X11 session has been idle in milliseconds.
In the Debian bug system there ...
--------------------
Junichi Uekawa: Upgraded my main machines to bookworm.
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/diary/daily/2023-Jun-16.html.en#2023-Jun-16-22:14:10
June 16, 2023, 1:14 PM
Upgraded my main machines to bookworm. Things look relatively eventless. Nice.
Emacs is noisy. why is native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors t?
--------------------
John Goerzen: Using git-annex for Data Archiving
https://changelog.complete.org/archives/10516-using-git-annex-for-data-archiving
June 16, 2023, 4:59 AM
In my recent post about data archiving to removable media, I laid out the difference between backing up and archiving, and also said I’d evaluate git-annex and dar. This post evaluates git-annex. The next will look at dar, and then I’ll make a comparison post.
What is git-annex?
git-annex is a fantastic and versatile program that does… well, it’s one of those things that can do so much that it’s a bit hard to describe. Its homepage says:
git-annex allows managing large files with g...
--------------------
Valhalla's Things: Shawl Calculations
https://blog.trueelena.org/blog/drafts/shawl_calculations/index.html
June 16, 2023, 12:00 AM
Posted on June 16, 2023

I’ve just realized that I’m not anywhere close to finishing the shawl I’m knitting, so I’ve done the perfectly logical and rational thing and started a new one.
This one is using some yarn from the stash, so its size is limited by the available yarn, and I wanted to estimate how long it may be, so I weighted the ball of yarn at the beginning and then again after knitting 10 and 20 rows.
It’s a top-down crescent, with 6 increases every ...
--------------------
Valhalla's Things: Shawl Calculations
https://blog.trueelena.org/blog/2023/06/16-shawl_calculations/index.html
June 16, 2023, 12:00 AM
Posted on June 16, 2023

Update 2023-06-17: I had missed an N in the formulas, they have been updated, and since I was editing this I’ve added the haskell bit.
I’ve just realized that I’m not anywhere close to finishing the shawl I’m knitting, so I’ve done the perfectly logical and rational thing and started a new one.
This one is using some yarn from the stash, so its size is limited by the available yarn, and I wanted to estimate how long it may be, so I wei...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: Ayisha, Manju Warrier, Debutsav, Books
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2023/06/16/ayisha-manju-warrier-debutsav-books/
June 15, 2023, 6:37 PM
Ayisha
After a long time I saw a movie that I enjoyed wholeheartedly. And it unexpectedly touched my heart. The name of the movie is Ayisha. The first frame of the movie itself sets the pace where we see Ayisha (Manju Warrier) who decides to help out a gang as lot of women were being hassled. So she agrees to hoodwink cops and help launder some money. Then she is shown to work as a maid for an elite Arab family. To portray a Muslim character in these polarized times really shows guts especia...
--------------------
Thomas Lange: 20.000 customized images created by the FAI.me build service
http://blog.fai-project.org/posts/faime-20000/
June 15, 2023, 5:21 PM
The counter of the FAI.me build service has reached 20.000. This
counter was added shortly after the service was started in
November 2017. Since then, this service has built more than 21.000
installation images and more than 1300 cloud disk images.
In the last few month we had averaged 100 requests per week.
Some statistics which settings are popular:
Language/keyboard layout selected

12000
us

--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: containers as first-class network citizens
https://jmtd.net/log/podman_network/
June 15, 2023, 2:11 PM
I've moved to having containers be first-class citizens on my home network, so
any local machine (laptop, phone,tablet) can communicate directly with them all,
but they're not (by default) exposed to the wider Internet. Here's why, and how.
After I moved containers from docker to Podman and
systemd, it became much more convenient to run web apps on
my home server, but the default approach to networking
(each container gets an address on a private network between the host server
and containers) ...
--------------------
Jonathan Carter: CLUG Talk: Running Debian on a 100Gbps router
https://jonathancarter.org/2023/06/14/clug-talk-running-debian-on-a-100gbps-router/
June 14, 2023, 4:41 PM
Last night I attended the first local Linux User Group talk since before the pandemic (possibly even… long before the pandemic!)
Topic: How and why Atomic Access runs Debian on a 100Gbps router
Speaker: Joe Botha
This is the first time CLUG used Woodstock Brewery as a venue. It’s great, because now we can have snacks and beer during the talks :)
Joe has worked in the internet space for quite some time, and co-founded companies like Teraco, Frogfoot, Amobia, Octotel and Atomic ...
--------------------
Russell Coker: Do Not Use …
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2023/06/15/do-not-use/
June 14, 2023, 2:25 PM
When I connect my Desklab USB-C monitor [1] (which has been vastly underused for the last 3 years) into a Linux system the display type is listed as “DO NOT USE – RTK“.
One of the more informative discussions of this was on Linux Mint forums [2] which revealed that it’s a mapping for an code that shouldn’t be used. So it’s not saying “don’t use this monitor” it’s saying “don’t use this code”. So the Desklab people when they implemented a display with an RTK chipset shou...
--------------------
Sven Hoexter: htop on stage in the theatre
http://sven.stormbind.net/blog/posts/misc_htop_in_the_theatre/
June 14, 2023, 9:28 AM
Always amusing to see some more or less famous
open source tools on stage or in movies. Lately
we watched THE ME
(german only) which is mixing live playing of actors and pre
recorded video material. In one of the early video sequences a
fictional console interface is displayed, claiming to be running
on a Macbook, and htop
is used to look for a suspicious process.
--------------------
Freexian Collaborators: Monthly report about Debian Long Term Support, May 2023 (by Roberto C. Sánchez)
https://www.freexian.com/blog/debian-lts-report-2023-05/
June 14, 2023, 12:00 AM
Like each month, have a look at the work funded by Freexian’s Debian LTS offering.
Debian LTS contributors
In May, 18 contributors have been paid to work on Debian
LTS, their reports are available:
Abhijith PA
did 6.0h (out of 6.0h assigned and 8.0h from previous period), thus carrying over 8.0h to the next month.
Anton Gladky
did 6.0h (out of 8.0h assigned and 7.0h from previous period), thus carrying over 9.0h to the next month.
Bastien Roucariès
did 17.0h (out of 17.0h assigned and 3.0h f...
--------------------
Matt Brown: Ventilation Monitoring Market Research
https://www.mattb.nz/w/2023/06/14/ventilation-monitoring-market-research/
June 13, 2023, 11:49 PM
Over the last month I’ve performed some market research to better understand the potential for co2mon.nz and to help me decide whether the product I’ve built has a fit with the market or not. The key conclusions I’ve drawn from this work are:
Air quality is acknowledged as important, but monitoring it is not an urgent or pressing problem for most people.
Most of the value is seen in the hardware rather than the software service.
Keep reading to hear more about the results that lead to th...
--------------------
Bits from Debian: Registration and the Call for Proposals for DebConf23 are now open!
https://bits.debian.org/2023/06/debconf23-registation-opens.html
June 12, 2023, 4:17 PM
For DebConf23, we're pleased to announce opening of registration and call for proposal. Following is the info text -
Registration and the Call for Proposals for DebConf23 are now open. The 24th edition of the Debian annual conference will be held from September 10th to September 17th, 2023, in Infopark, Kochi, India. The main conference will be preceded by DebCamp, which will take place from September 3rd to September 9th, 2023.
The registration form can be accessed by creating an account on th...
--------------------
Matthew Palmer: Private Key Redaction: Redux
https://www.hezmatt.org/~mpalmer/blog/2023/06/12/private-key-redaction-redux.html
June 12, 2023, 12:00 AM
[Note: the original version of this post named the author of the referenced blog post, and the tone of my writing could be construed to be mocking or otherwise belittling them.
While that was not my intention, I recognise that was a possible interpretation, and I have revised this post to remove identifying information and try to neutralise the tone.
On the other hand, I have kept the identifying details of the domain involved, as there are entirely legitimate security concerns that result from ...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: sanitizers 0.1.1 on CRAN: Updated and Expanded
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/06/11#sanitizers_0.1.1
June 11, 2023, 6:35 PM
The second release of the sanitizers
package is now on CRAN. sanitizers
provides ‘true positives’ for programming errors detected by Address
Sanitizers and friends. This permits validation of the setup when
chasing such bug reports: it allows us to ascertain that the compiler
(and instrumented R version) are correctly set up and the errors we
expect to be reported are in fact reported.
Almost nine years (!!) since the first release, this update brings an
added integer overflow sanitizer cont...
--------------------
Michael Prokop: What to expect from Debian/bookworm #newinbookworm
https://michael-prokop.at/blog/2023/06/11/what-to-expect-from-debian-bookworm-newinbookworm/
June 11, 2023, 9:50 AM
Debian v12 with codename bookworm was released as new stable release on 10th of June 2023. Similar to what we had with #newinbullseye and previous releases, now it’s time for #newinbookworm!
I was the driving force at several of my customers to be well prepared for bookworm. As usual with major upgrades, there are some things to be aware of, and hereby I’m starting my public notes on bookworm that might be worth also for other folks. My focus is primarily on server systems and looking at thi...
--------------------
Thomas Lange: New FAI ISO images for bookworm available and FAI Live ISO
http://blog.fai-project.org/posts/fai-cd-bookworm/
June 11, 2023, 9:30 AM
After Debian 12 aka bookworm was released yesterday, I've also created
new FAI ISO images using Debian 12.
The defaut ISO (large) uses FAI 6.0.3, kernel 6.1 and can install the
XFCE and GNOME desktop without internet connection, since all needed
packages are included into the ISO. Additional you can install Ubuntu
22.04 or Rocky Linux 9 with this FAI ISO. During these installations,
the packages will be downloade via network.
There's also the variant FAI ISO UBUNTU, which includes all Ubuntu
pa...
--------------------
Petter Reinholdtsen: What did I learn from OpenSnitch this summer?
https://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/What_did_I_learn_from_OpenSnitch_this_summer_.html
June 11, 2023, 6:30 AM
With yesterdays
release of Debian
12 Bookworm, I am happy to know the
the interactive
application firewall OpenSnitch is available for a wider audience.
I have been running it for a few weeks now, and have been surprised
about some of the programs connecting to the Internet. Some programs
are obviously calling out from my machine, like the NTP network based
clock adjusting system and Tor to reach other Tor clients, but others
were more dubious. For example, the KDE Window manager try to look u...
--------------------
Bits from Debian: Debian 12 "bookworm" has been released!
https://bits.debian.org/2023/06/bookworm-released.html
June 10, 2023, 9:30 PM
We're happy to announce the release of Debian 12, codenamed bookworm!
Want to install it?
Choose your favourite installation media
and read the installation manual.
You can also use an official cloud image directly on your cloud provider,
or try Debian prior to installing it using our "live" images.
Already a happy Debian user and you only want to upgrade?
You can easily upgrade from your current Debian 11 "bullseye" installation;
please read the release notes.
Do you want to celebrate the relea...
--------------------
Andrew Cater: 202306101949 - Release of install media - scripts running now
http://flosslinuxblog.blogspot.com/2023/06/202306101949-release-of-install-media.html
June 10, 2023, 7:55 PM
People are working quietly, cross-checking, reading back steps and running individual steps - we're really almost there for the install media.Just had a friendly, humorous meal out by the barbeque in Sledge's garden. It's been quite a long day but we're just finished.All this and then we'll probably have the first point release for Bookworm 12.1 in about a month. That will contain some few fixes which came in at the last minute and any other issues we've found today.BOOKWORM IS HERE!!...
--------------------
Marco d'Itri: On having a track record in operating systems development
https://blog.bofh.it/debian/id_467
June 10, 2023, 5:00 PM
Now that Debian 12 has been released with proprietary firmwares on the official media, non-optional merged-/usr and systemd adopted by everybody, I want to take a moment to list, not without some pride, a few things that I was right about over the last 20 years:
Distribution of proprietary firmwares (#33,
#40,
#114)
udev
systemd (#454)
merged-/usr
Accepting the obvious solution about firmwares took 18 years. My work on the merged-/usr transition started in 2014, and the first discussions abo...
--------------------
Steinar H. Gunderson: plocate 1.1.19 released
http://blog.sesse.net/blog/tech/2023-06-10-16-15_plocate_1_1_19_released.html
June 10, 2023, 3:15 PM
I've released version 1.1.19 of plocate;
this was mostly to get compatibility with liburing 2.4 out the door.
The fix (an external contribution; thanks!) had lingered in git for a while,
but evidently, onw it's reached distributions and more people were starting
to notice.
On a related notice, the user base seems to be growing, and also changing
a bit. I usually say that as an open-source maintainer, what you want
isn't users; you want patches. Users generally come with questions and
bugs, and ...
--------------------
Andrew Cater: 202306101353 - Release testing of media in full swing
http://flosslinuxblog.blogspot.com/2023/06/202306101353-release-testing-of-media.html
June 10, 2023, 2:01 PM
 Most of the install images for Debian media have now been tested.Various folk are now testing the live media.We have been joined by a couple of people in IRC who have also done a few tests.Useful things to note :)The release name is Bookworm *not* Bookwork.Debian 13 will be Trixie when it gets here: testing will be re-enabled shortly.The release notes detail the changes in /etc/apt/sources.list to accommodate the changes to non-free-firmware but also see also Sources List on the Debian wiki....
--------------------
Andrew Cater: 202306101010 - Debian release preparations and boot media testing in Cambridge
http://flosslinuxblog.blogspot.com/2023/06/202306101010-debian-release.html
June 10, 2023, 11:09 AM
 We've all met up in Cambridge - so there's an egw_, amacater, kibi who has travelled over to join us, Isy, RattusRattus and Sledge mostly sat round a table. The usual number of laptops, three monitors, Rattus' tower machine.Network running well and we're all ready to go, I think - there's normally a flurry of activity to get things started then a wait for a while for the first imagesCoffee and tea at the ready - bacon sandwiches are on the way [And the build process is under way - and smcv has...
--------------------
Freexian Collaborators: Debian Contributions: /usr-merge updates, tox 4 transition, and more! (by Utkarsh Gupta, Stefano Rivera)
https://www.freexian.com/blog/debian-contributions-05-2023/
June 10, 2023, 12:00 AM
Contributing to Debian
is part of Freexian’s mission. This article
covers the latest achievements of Freexian and their collaborators. All of this
is made possible by organizations subscribing to our
Long Term Support contracts and
consulting services.
/usr-merge, by Helmut Grohne, et al
Towards the end of April, the discussion on DEP 17 on
debian-devel@l.d.o initiated by Helmut
Grohne took off, trying to deal with the fact that while Debian bookworm has a
merged /usr, files are still being di...
--------------------
Jonathan Carter: Phone upgraded to Debian 12
https://jonathancarter.org/2023/06/09/phone-upgraded-to-debian-12/
June 9, 2023, 5:17 PM
A long time ago, before the pandemic, I bought a Librem 5 phone from Purism. I also moved home since then, and sadly my phone was sleeping peacefully in a box in the garage since I moved.
When I was in Hamburg last month, I saw how great Mobian and Phosh was coming along, and this inspired me to go dig up the Librem 5 which was about 2 Debian releases behind, and upgrade it to the latest and greatest version.
I followed the instruction on the Debian wiki, and after some stumbles, managed t...
--------------------
Wouter Verhelst: Planet Debian rendered with PtLink
https://grep.be/blog//en/computer/ptlink/Planet_Debian_rendered_with_PtLink/
June 9, 2023, 7:52 AM
As I blogged
before,
I've been working on a Planet
Venus replacement. This is
necessary, because Planet Venus, unfortunately, has not been maintained
for a long time, and is a Python 2 (only) application which has never
been updated to Python 3.
Python not being my language of choice, and my having plans to do far
more than just the "render RSS streams" functionality that Planet Venus
does, meant that I preferred to write "something else" (in Perl) rather
than updating Planet Venus to modern Py...
--------------------
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer: Adventures in Debian's Qt land
https://perezmeyer.com.ar/blog/2023/06/08/adventures_in_debian_s_qt_land/
June 8, 2023, 3:00 AM
Debian (I might as well say "we", this is the beauty of it) is about to release Debian 12 aka Bookworm. Let's take a quick look at what is new in Debian Qt land.
Qt 5
Bookworm has Qt 5.15.8, which is nothing but great news. KDE will be switching to Qt 6 sooner than later and Qt 5 has been a fun ride, but Dmitry Shachnev and I needed a break, or at very least not handling two Qt versions. But in the end I need to be fair: you REALLY need to thank Dmitry for Qt 5. He has been the man power behind ...
--------------------
Steinar H. Gunderson: Faster accurate range reduction
http://blog.sesse.net/blog/tech/2023-06-06-22-14_faster_accurate_range_reduction.html
June 6, 2023, 9:14 PM
Pretty much everybody who learns geometry and trigonometry starts off
by representing angles in degrees. One circle is 360 degrees; it's a
bit of a strange number, but it's highly composite (so a lot of fractions can
be represented as whole numbers) and has traditions supposedly going
back to the Babylonians.
However, there's nothing “natural” about 360; you could just as well
use e.g. 3600 and nothing would really get easier or harder. When going
into trigonometry, thus eventually most peo...
--------------------
Russell Coker: PinePhonePro First Impression
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2023/06/06/pinephonepro-first-impression/
June 6, 2023, 1:24 PM
Hardware
I received my PinePhone Pro [1] on Thursday, it seems in many ways better than the Purism Librem 5 [2] that I have previously written about. The PinePhone is thinner, lighter, and yet has a much longer battery life. A friend described the Librem5 as “the CyberTruck phone” and not in a good way.
In a test I had my PinePhone and my Librem5 fully charged, left them for 4.5 hours without doing anything much with them, and then the PinePhone was at 85% and the Librem5 was at 57%. So the ...
--------------------
Russell Coker: Dell 32″ 4K Monitor and DisplayPort Switch
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2023/06/06/dell-32-4k-displayport-switch/
June 6, 2023, 8:41 AM
After determining that the Philips 43″ monitor was too large for my taste as well as not having a clear enough display [1] I bought a Dell 32″ 4K monitor for $499 on the 1st of July 2022. That monitor has been working nicely for almost a year now, for DisplayPort it’s operation is perfect and 32″ seems like an ideal size for my use. There is one problem that both HDMI ports will sometimes turn off for about half a second, I’ve tested on both ports and on multiple computers as well as a...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: Odisha Train Crash and Coverup, Demonetization 2.0 & NHFS-6 Survey
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2023/06/06/odisha-train-crash-and-coverup-demonetization-2-0-nhfs-6-survey/
June 6, 2023, 7:12 AM
Just a few days back we came to know about the horrific Train Crash that happened in Odisha (Orissa). There are some things that are known and somethings that can be inferred by observance. Sadly, it seems the incident is going to be covered up . Some of the facts that have not been contested in the public domain are that there were three lines. One loop line on which the Goods Train was standing and there was an up and a down line. So three lines were there. Apparently, the signalling system a...
--------------------
Michael Ablassmeier: updating to bookworm
https://abbbi.github.io//bookworm/
June 6, 2023, 12:00 AM
Just updated to bookworm. Only thing that gave me headaches was OpenVPN
refusing to accept the password/username combination specified via
“auth-user-pass” option..
Mystery was solved by adding “providers legacy default” to the
configuration file used.
--------------------
Reproducible Builds: Reproducible Builds in May 2023
https://reproducible-builds.org/reports/2023-05/
June 5, 2023, 5:35 PM
Welcome to the May 2023 report from the Reproducible Builds project
In our reports, we outline the most important things that we have been up to over the past month. As always, if you are interested in contributing to the project, please visit our Contribute page on our website.
Holger Levsen gave a talk at the 2023 edition of the Debian Reunion Hamburg, a semi-informal meetup of Debian-related people in northern Germany. The slides are available online.
In April, Holger Levsen gave...
--------------------
Thorsten Alteholz: My Debian Activities in May 2023
http://blog.alteholz.eu/2023/06/my-debian-activities-in-may-2023/
June 4, 2023, 10:43 AM
FTP master
This month I accepted 157 and rejected 22 packages. The overall number of packages that got accepted was 160.
Debian LTS
This was my hundred-seventh month that I did some work for the Debian LTS initiative, started by Raphael Hertzog at Freexian.
This month my all in all workload has been 14h.
During that time I uploaded:
[DLA 3430-1] cups-filters security update for one CVE
[DSA 5407-1] cups-filters security update for one CVE
[unstable] upload of cups-filters to fix CVE-2023-2480...
Debian Brasil: Oficina de tradução do Manual do(a) Administrador(a) Debian em 13 de junho
https://debianbrasil.org.br/blog/oficina-traducao-manual-administrador-debian/
June 4, 2023, 10:00 AM
Click here to read the complete article