From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Subject: Planet Debian
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 13:58:18 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 13:58 UTC

Enrico Zini: Mysterious DNS issues
http://www.enricozini.org/blog/2023/debian/mysterious-dns-issues
July 26, 2023, 9:16 AM
Uhm, salsa is not resolving:
$ git fetch
ssh: Could not resolve hostname salsa.debian.org: Name or service not known
$ ping salsa.debian.org
ping: salsa.debian.org: Name or service not known
But... it is?
$ host salsa.debian.org
salsa.debian.org has address 209.87.16.44
salsa.debian.org has IPv6 address 2607:f8f0:614:1::1274:44
salsa.debian.org mail is handled by 10 mailly.debian.org.
salsa.debian.org mail is handled by 10 mitropoulos.debian.org.
s...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: Manipur Violence, Drugs, Binging on Northshore, Alaska Daily, Doogie Kamealoha and EU Digital Resilence Act.
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2023/07/26/manipur-violence-drugs-binging-on-northshore-alaska-daily-doogie-kamealoha-and-eu-digital-resilence-act/
July 26, 2023, 12:46 AM
Manipur Videos
Warning: The text might be mature and will have references to violence so if there are kids or you are sensitive, please excuse.
Few days back, saw the videos and I cannot share the rage, shame and many conflicting emotions that were going through me. I almost didn’t want to share but couldn’t stop myself. The woman in the video were being palmed, fingered, nude, later reportedly raped and murdered. And there have been more than a few cases. The next day saw another vi...
--------------------
Valhalla's Things: Elastic Neck Top
https://blog.trueelena.org/blog/2023/07/26-elastic_neck_top/index.html
July 26, 2023, 12:00 AM
Posted on July 26, 2023

Since some time I’ve been thinking about making myself a top or a dress with a wide gathered neckline that can be work at different widths, including off-the-shoulders.
A few years ago I’ve been gifted a cut of nice, thin white fabric with a print of lines and lozenges that isn’t uniform along the fabric, but looks like it was designed for some specific garment, and it was waiting in my stash for a suitable pattern.
And a few days ago, du...
--------------------
Scarlett Gately Moore: KDE Akademy 2023, Sunburns, and KDE Snaps
https://www.scarlettgatelymoore.dev/kde-akademy-2023-sunburns-and-kde-snaps/
July 25, 2023, 1:36 PM
KDE Akademy 2023
A big thank you goes out to the Ubuntu Community for making my attendance to the KDE Akademy 2023! This was a very successful conference for me. I had very positive feedback for my speech on “A million reasons why snaps are important. I also had a productive BoF on snapping KDE applications. Most importantly I got to catch up with many old and new friends and got to put faces to the new. There were so many great talks and BoFs, but one of my favorites was the Goals as all t...
--------------------
Sam Hartman: AI and Sexuality
https://hartmans.dreamwidth.org/100499.html
July 25, 2023, 1:24 PM
When I began to read about the generative AI revolution, I realized
there was an opportunity to combine two aspects of my life I never
thought I could merge. While I’m not working on the cloud or security, I
work as a sex and intimacy educator, helping people embrace love,
vulnerability and connection.
As I first began to interact with ChatGPT, I saw the potential for AI
to help people explore parts of the world they had not experienced for
themselves. I’m blind. When I write fiction, physic...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: #41: Another r2u Example – Really Simple CI
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/07/23#041_simpler_ci_via_r2u
July 23, 2023, 10:32 PM
Welcome to the 41th post in the $R^4 series. Just
as the previous
post illustrated r2u use to empower
interactive Google
Colab sessions, today we want to look at continuous integration via
GitHub Actions.
Actions are very powerful, yet also intimidating and complex. How
does one know what to run? How does ensure requirements are installed?
What does these other actions do?
Here we offer a much simpler yet fully automatic
solution. It takes advantage of the fact that r2u integrates
fully and auto...
--------------------
Aurelien Jarno: Welcome Debian riscv64
https://blog.aurel32.net/welcome-debian-riscv64.html
July 23, 2023, 7:28 PM
After many years of effort, I am happy to announce that Debian
riscv64 is now an official
architecture!
This milestone is not the end of the journey but rather the beginning of a new
one: the port will need to be rebootstrapped in the official archive, build
daemons will have to be reinstalled and handed over to
DSA, many bugs will need to be fixed. If everything
goes well, the architecture will eventually be released with
Trixie. Please note that this
process will be long and will span several...
--------------------
Wouter Verhelst: Debconf Videoteam sprint in Paris, France, 2023-07-20 - 2023-07-23
https://grep.be/blog//en/computer/debian/DebConf_Videoteam_Sprint_in_Paris/
July 23, 2023, 12:12 PM
The DebConf video team has been
sprinting in
preparation for DebConf 23 which will
happen in Kochi, India, in September of this year.
Present were Nicolas "olasd" Dandrimont, Stefano "tumbleweed" Rivera,
and yours truly. Additionally, Louis-Philippe "pollo" Véronneau and Carl
"CarlFK" Karsten joined the sprint remotely from across the pond.
Thank you to the DPL for agreeing to fund flights, food, and
accomodation for the team members. We would also like to extend a
special thanks to the Ass...
--------------------
Andrew Cater: 20230722 1804 UTC - All signed, all pushed, all done.
http://flosslinuxblog.blogspot.com/2023/07/20230722-1804-utc-all-signed-all-pushed.html
July 22, 2023, 6:20 PM
So it's there on  Download on the Debian web site.Thanks to the folk who've done this point release testing. No new major bugs found: a couple of pre-existing ones may still be there.Thanks very much indeed to the new people who have been in IRC on debian-cd, downloading, testing, editing the wiki page.This release has gone very well indeed - I'll see some of the same folk at the BBQ in late August but otherwise we'll be back in September or so for the next point release for Bookworm (and proba...
--------------------
Andrew Cater: 20230722 1436 - Happily chunking through release tests
http://flosslinuxblog.blogspot.com/2023/07/20230722-1436-happily-chunking-through.html
July 22, 2023, 2:41 PM
Lots of tests being tried and passing. The usual bits of finger trouble / misreading the wiki. People are settling into the rhythm. Almost all of the tests for the standard .iso files are done and we're well into testing live images. All's good
--------------------
Andrew Cater: 20230722 - Releasing Debian testing for Debian Bookworm point release 12.1
http://flosslinuxblog.blogspot.com/2023/07/20230722-releasing-debian-testing-for.html
July 22, 2023, 1:45 PM
And so we're back at Steve's in Cambridge for release testing. A few testers here: we're now well into testing the various iso images.So we have Sledge, RattusRattus, Isy, smcv and myself. We've also been joined here by Helen who has just done her first install.  Online we've got a couple of new folk - luna, The_Blode. Thanks to everyone involved - we always need all the help we can get.Cold and grey outside: usual warmth in here.  Also the usual snake of cables to trip over across the floor...
--------------------
Gunnar Wolf: Road trip through mountain ridges to find the surreal
https://gwolf.org/2023/07/road-trip-through-mountain-ridges-to-find-the-surreal.html
July 21, 2023, 10:51 PM
We took a couple of days of for a family vacation / road trip through
the hills of Central Mexico. The overall trip does not look like
anything out of the ordinary…
…Other than the fact that Google forecasted we’d take approximately
15.5 hours driving for 852Km — that is, an average of almost 55
Km/h. And yes, that’s what we signed up for. And that’s what we
got. Of course, the exact routes are not exactly what Google suggested
(I can say we optimized a bit the route, i.e., by avo...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 245 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-245-released/
July 21, 2023, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 245. This version includes the following changes:
[ Chris Lamb ]
* Don't include file size in image metadata; it is, at best, distracting and
it is already in the directory metadata.
* Move to using assert_diff in ICO and JPEG tests.
* Update copyright years.
You find out more by visiting the project homepage....
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: qlcal 0.0.7 on CRAN: QuantLib 1.31 Updates
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/07/19#qlcal-r_0.0.7
July 20, 2023, 12:39 AM
The seventh release of the still pretty new qlcal package
arrivied at CRAN today.
qlcal
delivers the calendaring parts of QuantLib. It is provided (for the R
package) as a set of included files, so the package is self-contained
and does not depend on an external QuantLib library (which can be
demanding to build). qlcal covers
over sixty country / market calendars and can compute holiday lists, its
complement (i.e. business day lists) and much more.
This release brings updates from the just-relea...
--------------------
Joey Hess: become ungoogleable
http://joeyh.name/blog/entry/become_ungoogleable/
July 20, 2023, 12:34 AM
I've removed my website from indexing by Google.
The proximate cause is Google's new effort to
DRM the web,
but there is of course so much more.
This is a unique time, when it's actually feasible to become ungoogleable
without losing much. Nobody really expects to be able to find anything of
value in a Google search now, so if they're looking for me or something I've
made and don't find it, they'll use some other approach.
I've looked over the kind of traffic that Google refers to my website, ...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: RISC-V, Chips Act, Burning of Books, Manipur
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2023/07/19/risc-chips-act-burning-of-books/
July 19, 2023, 1:30 PM
RISC -V Motherboard, SBC
While I didn’t want to, a part of me is hyped about this motherboard. This would probably be launched somewhere in November. There are obvious issues in this, the first being unlike regular motherboards you wouldn’t be upgrade as you would do.You can’t upgrade your memory, can’t upgrade the CPU (although new versions of instructions could be uploaded, similar to BIOS updates) but as the hardware is integrated (the quad-core SiFive Performance P550 core complex...
--------------------
Ian Jackson: Installing Debian bookworm without systemd
https://diziet.dreamwidth.org/15336.html
July 19, 2023, 1:26 PM
Instructions
Get the official installation image from the usual locations. I got the netinst CD image via BitTorrent.
Boot from the image and go through the installation in the normal way.
You may want to select an alternative desktop environment (and unselect GNOME). These steps have been tested with MATE.
Stop when you are asked to remove the installation media and reboot.
Press Alt + Right arrow to switch to the text VC. Hit return to activate the console and run the following commands (an...
--------------------
Sergio Talens-Oliag: Testing cilium with k3d and kind
https://blogops.mixinet.net/posts/testing_cilium_with_k3d_and_kind/
July 18, 2023, 5:00 PM
This post describes how to deploy cilium (and
hubble) using docker on a Linux system with
k3d or kind to test it as
CNI and
Service Mesh.
I wrote some scripts to do a local installation and evaluate cilium to use it
at work (in fact we are using cilium on an EKS
cluster now), but I thought it would be a good idea to share my original
scripts in this blog just in case they are useful to somebody, at least for
playing a little with the technology.
LinksAs there is no point on explaining here all t...
--------------------
Jamie McClelland: What am I missing about AI?
https://current.workingdirectory.net/posts/2023/what-am-i-missing/
July 18, 2023, 12:27 PM
Last month I blogged about how the mainstream
media is focusing on the wrong parts of the Artificial Intelligence/ChatGPT
story.
One of the comments left on the post was:
I encourage you to dig a little deeper. If LLM’s were just probability
machines, no one would be raising any flags.
Hinton, Bengio, Tegmark and many others are not simpletons. It is the fact that
the architecture and specific training (deep NN, back prop / gradient descend)
produces a system with emergent properties, beyond ...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Bea's 3D printer
https://jmtd.net/log/bea_printer/
July 18, 2023, 9:50 AM
My daughter Beatrice asked for me to print her a 3D printer.

Bea's 3D printer
Most of the model is from https://www.printables.com/model/355917-miniature-3d-printer-model-toy,
and the unicorn is from https://www.printables.com/model/385926-unicorn....
--------------------
Lukas Märdian: A declarative approach to Linux networking with Netplan
https://blog.slyon.de/2023/07/18/a-declarative-approach-to-linux-networking-with-netplan/
July 18, 2023, 9:15 AM
Photo by Taylor Vick (Unsplash)
Linux networking can be confusing due to the wide range of technology stacks and tools in use, in addition to the complexity of the surrounding network environment. The configuration of bridges, bonds, VRFs or routes can be done programmatically, declaratively, manually or with automated with tools like ifupdown, ifupdown2, ifupdown-ng, iproute2, NetworkManager, systemd-networkd and others. Each  of these tools use different formats and locations to store thei...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: Legends & Lattes
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/1-250-88609-0.html
July 18, 2023, 4:34 AM
Review: Legends &amp; Lattes, by Travis Baldree

Series:
Legends &amp; Lattes #1

Publisher:
Tor

Copyright:
2022

ISBN:
1-250-88609-0

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
293

Legends &amp; Lattes is a sword and sorcery fantasy novel of the
RPG-inspired, post-Dungeons-and-Dragons subtype. It was Travis
Baldree's first novel.
Viv is an orc, the heavy muscle for a roving band of adventurers who take
jobs for hire in a way fam...
Ben Hutchings: FOSS activity in June 2023
https://www.decadent.org.uk/ben/blog/foss-activity-in-june-2023.html
July 17, 2023, 8:52 PM
Click here to read the complete article