From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Subject: Planet Debian
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 14:10:56 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 14:10 UTC

Simon Josefsson: Enforcing wrap-and-sort -satb
https://blog.josefsson.org/2023/08/16/enforcing-wrap-and-sort-satb/
August 16, 2023, 9:00 AM
For Debian package maintainers, the wrap-and-sort tool is one of those nice tools that I use once in a while, and every time have to re-read the documentation to conclude that I want to use the --wrap-always --short-indent --trailing-comma --sort-binary-package options (or -satb for short). Every time, I also wish that I could automate this and have it always be invoked to keep my debian/ directory tidy, so I don’t have to do this manually once every blue moon. I haven’t found a way to ach...
--------------------
Wouter Verhelst: Perl test suites in GitLab
https://grep.be/blog//en/computer/Perl_test_suites_in_GitLab/
August 16, 2023, 8:05 AM
I've been maintaining a number of Perl software packages recently.
There's SReview,
my video review and transcoding system of which I split off
Media::Convert a while
back; and as of about a year ago, I've also added
PtLink, an RSS aggregator
(with future plans for more than just that).
All these come with extensive test suites which can help me ensure that
things continue to work properly when I play with things; and all of
these are hosted on salsa.debian.org, Debian's gitlab instance. Since
--------------------
Charles Plessy: I forgot about the “make clean” command.
http://charles.plessy.org/Debian/debi%C3%A2neries/git-clean/
August 16, 2023, 4:32 AM
Je ne me souviens plus de la dernière fois où j'ai utilisé la commande make
clean. Si j'empaquète pour Debian, le travail se fait dans un dépôt git,
et j'utilise les commandes git clean -fdx ; git checkout . que je peux
rappeler depuis mon historique des commandes via Ctrl-r la plupart du
temps. Et dans les autres cas, si les sources ne sont pas déjà dans git,
alors les commandes git init . ; git add . ; git commit -m 'hopla' règlent
le problème....
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: #41: Using r2u in Codespaces
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/08/15#041_r2u_and_codespaces
August 15, 2023, 5:21 PM
Welcome to the 41th post in the $R^4 series. This
post draws on joint experiments first started by Grant building on the
lovely work Eitsupi as part of
our Rocker Project. In short,
r2u is an ideal match
for Codespaces, a
Microsoft/GitHub service to run code ‘locally but in the cloud’ via
browser or Visual Studio
Code. This posts co-serves as the README.md in the .devcontainer
directory as well as a vignette
for r2u.
So let us get into it. Starting from the r2u repository, the .devcontainer
--------------------
Ian Jackson: DKIM: rotate and publish your keys
https://diziet.dreamwidth.org/16025.html
August 15, 2023, 12:16 AM
If you are an email system administrator, you are probably using DKIM to sign your outgoing emails. You should be rotating the key regularly and automatically, and publishing old private keys. I have just released dkim-rotate 1.0; dkim-rotate is tool to do this key rotation and publication.
If you are an email user, your email provider ought to be doing this. If this is not done, your emails are “non-repudiable”, meaning that if they are leaked, anyone (eg, journalists, haters) can verify th...
--------------------
Freexian Collaborators: Monthly report about Debian Long Term Support, July 2023 (by Santiago Ruano Rincón)
https://www.freexian.com/blog/debian-lts-report-2023-07/
August 15, 2023, 12:00 AM
Like each month, have a look at the work funded by Freexian’s Debian LTS offering.
Debian LTS contributors
In July, 18 contributors have been paid to work on
Debian LTS, their reports are available:
Abhijith PA
did 0.0h (out of 0h assigned and 2.0h from previous period), thus carrying over 2.0h to the next month.
Adrian Bunk
did 24.75h (out of 18.25h assigned and 6.5h from previous period).
Anton Gladky
did 5.0h (out of 5.0h assigned and 10.0h from previous period), thus carrying over 10.0h t...
--------------------
Jonathan McDowell: listadmin3: An imperfect replacement for listadmin on Mailman 3
https://www.earth.li/~noodles/blog/2023/08/announcing-listadmin3.html
August 14, 2023, 5:28 PM
One of the annoyances I had when I upgraded from Buster to Bullseye (yes, I’m talking about an upgrade I did at the end of 2021) is that I ended up moving from Mailman 2 to Mailman 3. Which is fine, I guess, but it meant I could no longer use listadmin to deal with messages held for moderation. At the time I looked around, couldn’t find anything, shrugged, and became incredibly bad at performing my list moderation duties.
Last week I finally accepted what I should have done at least a year ...
--------------------
Steinar H. Gunderson: Encoding “The Legend of Sisyphus”
http://blog.sesse.net/blog/tech/2023-08-14-18-19_encoding_the_legend_of_sisyphus.html
August 14, 2023, 4:30 PM
I watched this year's Assembly democompo live,
as I usually do—or more precisely, I watched it on stream. I had heard
that ASD would return with a demo for the first time in five years,
and The legend of Sisyphus
did not disappoint. At all. (No, it's not written in assembly; Assembly
is the name of the party. :-) )
I do fear that this is the last time we will see such a “blockbuster” demo
(meaning, roughly: a demo that is a likely candidate for best high-end
demo of the year) at Assembly,...
--------------------
Gunnar Wolf: Back to online teaching
https://gwolf.org/2023/08/back-to-online-teaching.html
August 13, 2023, 11:39 PM
Mexico’s education sector had one of the longest lockdowns due to COVID: As
everybody, we “went virtual” in March 2020, and it was only by late February
2022 that I went back to teach presentially at the University.
But for the semester starting next Tuesday, I’m going back to a full-online
mode. Why? Because me and my family will be travelling to Argentina for six
months, starting this October and until next March. When I went to ask for my
teaching to be “frozen” for two semesters...
--------------------
François Marier: Using iptables with systemd-networkd
https://feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/using-iptables-with-systemd-networkd/
August 13, 2023, 10:00 PM
I used to rely on ifupdown to
bring up my iptables firewall
automatically using a config like this in /etc/network/interfaces:
allow-hotplug eno1
iface eno1 inet dhcp
pre-up iptables-restore /etc/network/iptables.up.rules
iface eno1 inet6 dhcp
pre-up ip6tables-restore /etc/network/ip6tables.up.rules
but I wanted to modernize my network configuration and make use of
systemd-networkd after upgrading
one of my servers to Debian
bookworm.
Since I already wrote an iptables dispatcher scr...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Terrain base for 3D castle
https://jmtd.net/log/zarchscape/
August 13, 2023, 7:30 PM
I designed and printed a "terrain" base for my 3D castle in
OpenSCAD. The castle was the first thing I designed and printed on our (then
new) office 3D printer. I use it as a test bed if I want to try something new,
and this time I wanted to try procedurally generating a model.
I've released the OpenSCAD source for the terrain generator under the
name Zarchscape.
mid 90s terrain generation
Lots of mid-90s games had very boxy floors
Terrain generation, 90s-style. From this article
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: #41: Using r2u in Codespaces
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/08/13#041_r2u_and_codespaces
August 13, 2023, 3:11 PM
Welcome to the 41th post in the $R^4 series. This
post draws on joint experiments first started by Grant building on the
lovely work Eitsupi as part of
our Rocker Project. In short,
r2u is an ideal match
for Codesspaces, a
Microsoft/GitHub service to run code ‘locally but in the cloud’ via
browser or Visual Studio
Code. This posts co-serves as the README.md in the .devcontainer
directory as well as a vignette
for r2u.
So let us get into it. Starting from the r2u repository, the .devcontainer...
--------------------
Ian Jackson: Private posts
https://diziet.dreamwidth.org/15789.html
August 11, 2023, 6:57 PM
I have started to make private posts, accessible only to my Dreamwidth access list.
If you’re a friend of mine and would like to be on that list, please contact me with your Dreamwidth username (or your OpenID). comments
--------------------
Scarlett Gately Moore: KDE: Post Akademy Snap Wrap Up and Future
https://www.scarlettgatelymoore.dev/kde-post-akademy-snap-wrap-up-and-future/
August 11, 2023, 4:24 PM
KDE Skrooge snap
It has been a very busy couple of weeks in the KDE snap world! Here is a rundown of what has been done:
Solved issues with an updated mesa in Jammy causing some apps to seg fault by rebuilding our content pack. Please do a snap refresh if this happens to you.
Resolved our scanner apps not finding any scanners. Skanlite and Skanpage now work as expected and find your scanners, even network scanners!
Fixed an issue with neochat/ruqola that relaunching the application ...
--------------------
Birger Schacht: Another round of rust
https://bisco.org/notes/another-round-of-rust/
August 11, 2023, 8:52 AM
A couple of weeks ago I had to undergo surgery, because one of my kidneys
malfunctioned. Everything went well and I’m on my way to recovery. Luckily the
most recent local heat wave was over just shortly after I got home, which made
being stuck at home a little easier (not sure yet when I’ll be allowed to do
sports again, I miss my climbing gym…).
At first I did not have that much energy to do computer stuff, but after a week
or so I was able to sit in front of the screen for short amounts ...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppArmadillo 0.12.6.1.0 on CRAN: New Upstream
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/08/10#rcpparmadillo_0.12.6.1.0
August 11, 2023, 12:06 AM
Armadillo is a powerful
and expressive C++ template library for linear algebra and scientific
computing. It aims towards a good balance between speed and ease of use,
has a syntax deliberately close to Matlab, and is useful for algorithm
development directly in C++, or quick conversion of research code into
production environments. RcppArmadillo
integrates this library with the R environment and language–and is
widely used by (currently) 1092 other packages on CRAN, downloaded 30.1 million
tim...
--------------------
Sandro Tosi: Mastodon hook for dput-ng
http://sandrotosi.blogspot.com/2023/08/mastodon-hook-for-dput-ng.html
August 10, 2023, 6:50 PM
If you use dput-ng, you may be familiar with the Twitter hook that tweets a message when uploading a package.A similar hook is now available for Mastodon too; if interested, give it a try and comment on the MR
--------------------
Petter Reinholdtsen: Invidious add-on for Kodi 20
https://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Invidious_add_on_for_Kodi_20.html
August 10, 2023, 5:50 PM
I still enjoy Kodi and
LibreELEC as my multimedia center
at home. Sadly two of the services I really would like to use from
within Kodi are not easily available. The most wanted add-on would be
one making The Internet Archive
available, and it has
not been
working for many years. The second most wanted add-on is one
using the Invidious privacy enhanced
Youtube frontent. A plugin for this has been partly working, but
not been kept up to date in the Kodi add-on repository, and its
upstream see...
--------------------
Freexian Collaborators: Debian Contributions: PTS tracker, DebConf23 Bursary, and more! (by Utkarsh Gupta)
https://www.freexian.com/blog/debian-contributions-07-2023/
August 10, 2023, 12:00 AM
Contributing to Debian
is part of Freexian’s mission. This article
covers the latest achievements of Freexian and their collaborators. All of this
is made possible by organizations subscribing to our
Long Term Support contracts and
consulting services.
tracker.debian.org work by Raphaël Hertzog
Raphaël spent some time during his vacation to update
distro-tracker to be fully
compatible with Django 3.2 so that the codebase and the whole testsuite can
run on Debian 12. There’s one exception t...
--------------------
Antoine Beaupré: OpenPGP key transition
https://anarc.at/blog/2023-08-09-openpgp-key-transition/
August 9, 2023, 6:18 PM
This is a short announcement to say that I have changed my main
OpenPGP key. A signed statement is available with the
cryptographic details but, in short, the reason is that I stopped
using my old YubiKey NEO that I have worn on my keyring since
2015.
I now have a YubiKey 5 which supports ED25519 which features much
shorter keys and faster decryption. It allowed me to move all my
secret subkeys on the key (including encryption keys) while retaining
reasonable performance.
I have written extens...
--------------------
Kentaro Hayashi: How to setup DMARC policy for subdomain on debian.net
https://kenhys.hatenablog.jp/entry/2023/08/09/191841
August 9, 2023, 10:18 AM
For setting up subdomain on debian.net, we usually use LDAP Gateway. [1]
db.debian.org
[1] https://db.debian.org/doc-mail.html
With changing dnsZoneEntry, we can set up each subdomain of debian.net.
For example, you can customize SPF TXT record for example.debian.net.
example IN TXT v=spf1 a:example.debian.net ~all
But when you setup DMARC policy for dnsZoneEntry, it may cause the trouble. LDAP Gateway returns the following error:
Command is not understood. Halted - no changes committed
--------------------
James Valleroy: FreedomBox backport automatic update issue
https://jvalleroy.me/wordpress/?p=60
August 8, 2023, 11:36 PM
When run on Debian stable, FreedomBox has an optional feature called “Frequent Feature Updates”. If this feature is enabled, it has 2 effects:
The stable-backports repository is added to the system.
Apt pinning is configured so that FreedomBox itself, and a small number of other carefully selected packages, will be kept updated to the latest version available in the backports repository.
However for bookworm-backports, there was a small change in the repository for bookworm-backpo...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: dtts 0.1.1 on CRAN: Enhancements
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/08/08#dtts_0.1.1
August 8, 2023, 11:05 PM
Leonardo and I are happy to
announce the release of a first follow-up release 0.1.1 of our dtts package
which got to [CRAN][cran] in its initial upload last year.
dtts
builds upon our nanotime
package as well as the beloved data.table to bring
high-performance and high-resolution indexing at the
nanosecond level to data frames. dtts aims to
bring the time-series indexing versatility of xts (and zoo) to the immense
power of data.table while
supporting highest nanosecond resolution.
This release f...
--------------------
Matthew Garrett: Updating Fedora the unsupported way
https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/67126.html
August 8, 2023, 5:54 AM
I dug out a computer running Fedora 28, which was released 2018-04-01 - over 5 years ago. Backing up the data and re-installing seemed tedious, but the current version of Fedora is 38, and while Fedora supports updates from N to N+2 that was still going to be 5 separate upgrades. That seemed tedious, so I figured I'd just try to do an update from 28 directly to 38. This is, obviously, extremely unsupported, but what could possibly go wrong?Running sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=38...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RQuantLib 0.4.19 on CRAN: More Maintenance
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/08/07#rquantlib_0.4.19
August 7, 2023, 11:12 PM
A new release 0.4.19 of RQuantLib
arrived at CRAN earlier today,
and has already been uploaded to Debian too.
QuantLib is a rather
comprehensice free/open-source library for quantitative
finance. RQuantLib
connects it to the R environment and language, and has been part of CRAN for more than twenty years
(!!)
This release of RQuantLib
brings a small update to three unit tests as very recent 1.31 release QuantLib brought a subtle change to
some fixed income payment schedules and dates. On a sadde...
--------------------
Thorsten Alteholz: My Debian Activities in July 2023
http://blog.alteholz.eu/2023/08/my-debian-activities-in-july-2023/
August 7, 2023, 5:10 PM
FTP master
This month I accepted 408 and rejected 40 packages. The overall number of packages that got accepted was 412.
Debian LTS
This was my hundred-ninth month that I did some work for the Debian LTS initiative, started by Raphael Hertzog at Freexian.
This month my all in all workload has been 14h.
During that time I uploaded:
[DLA 3505-1] gst-plugins-good1.0 security update for one CVE
[DLA 3503-1] gst-plugins-bad1.0 security update for one CVE
[DLA 3504-1] gst-plugins-base1.0 security u...
--------------------
Sam Hartman: AI Tools
https://hartmans.dreamwidth.org/100775.html
August 6, 2023, 10:25 PM
I wrote
about how I’m exploring the role of AI in human connection and intimacy.
The first part of that journey has been all about learning the software
and tools for approaching large language models.
The biggest thing I wish I had known going in was not to focus on the
traditional cloud providers. I was struggling until I found runpod.io. I kind of assumed that if you
were willing to pay for it and had the money, you could go to Amazon on
or google or whatever and get the compute resources y...
--------------------
Steinar H. Gunderson: RIP Bram Moolenaar
http://blog.sesse.net/blog/tech/2023-08-05-17-36_rip_bram_moolenaar.html
August 5, 2023, 4:36 PM
It was with surprise that I learned that Bram Moolenaar, author of
the Vim editor, had died two days ago.
I cannot say we were ever friends, but I sat next to Bram for a year or so in the
Google Zurich office and learned to recognize his ways and his work in Google
(he worked on, among others, autocorrecting searches in Google Apps).
He didn't talk much about Vim (not to me, anyway), but even at work, he kept
up his life-long advocacy of the ICCF
charity, helping children in Uganda.
I am fairly...
--------------------
Bits from Debian: Debian Project Bits Volume 1, Issue 1
https://bits.debian.org/2023/08/debian-project-bits1.html
August 5, 2023, 10:30 AM
Debian Project Bits
Volume 1, Issue 1
August 05, 2023
Welcome to the inaugural issue of Debian Project Bits!
Those remembering the Debian Weekly News (DwN) will recognize some of the sections here which served as our inspiration.
Debian Project Bits posts will allow for a faster turnaround of some project
news on a monthly basis. The Debian Micronews
service will continue to share shorter news items, the Debian Project News
remains as our official newsletter which may move to a biannual archive ...
--------------------
John Goerzen: Try the Last Internet Kermit Server
https://changelog.complete.org/archives/10555-try-the-last-internet-kermit-server
August 4, 2023, 10:51 PM
$ grep kermit /etc/services
kermit 1649/tcp
What is this mysterious protocol? Who uses it and what is its story?
This story is a winding one, beginning in 1981. Kermit is, to the best of my knowledge, the oldest actively-maintained software package with an original developer still participating. It is also a scripting language, an Internet server, a (scriptable!) SSH client, and a file transfer protocol.
And my first use of it was talking to my HP-48GX calculator over a 9600bps ser...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: License Raj 2.0, 2023
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2023/08/05/license-raj-2-0-2023/
August 4, 2023, 8:56 PM
About a week back Jio launched a laptop called JioBook that will be manufactured in China –
The most interesting thing is that the whole thing will be produced in Hunan, China. Then 3 days later India mandates a licensing requirement for Apple, Dell and other laptop/tablet manufacturers. And all of these in the guise of ‘Make in India’. It is similar how India has exempted Adani and the Tatas from buying as much solar cells as are needed and then sell the same in India. Reliance wi...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: Birth Control, Consent, Rape & Violence.
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2023/08/05/birth-control-consent-rape-violence/
August 4, 2023, 7:19 PM
Consent, Violence, Sexual Abuse
This again would be somewhat of a mature post. So children, please refrain from reading.
When I hear the above words, my first thought goes to Aamir Khan’s Season 1 Episode 2 in Satyamev Jayate. This was the first time that the topic of child sexual abuse was bought in the forefront in the hall rather than a topic to be discussed in the corner. Unfortunately, that episode is still in Hindi and no English subtitles available even today shows a lack of sens...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds: Reproducible Builds in July 2023
https://reproducible-builds.org/reports/2023-07/
August 4, 2023, 3:32 PM
Welcome to the July 2023 report from the Reproducible Builds project. In our reports, we try to outline the most important things that we have been up to over the past month. As ever, if you are interested in contributing to the project, please visit the Contribute page on our website.
Marcel Fourné et al. presented at the IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy in San Francisco, CA on The Importance and Challenges of Reproducible Builds for Software Supply Chain Security.
As summarised in...
--------------------
Louis-Philippe Véronneau: pymonitair: Air Quality Monitoring Display with MicroPython
https://veronneau.org/pymonitair-air-quality-monitoring-display-with-micropython.html
August 4, 2023, 4:00 AM
I've never been a fan of IoT devices for obvious reasons: not only do they tend
to be excellent at being expensive vendor locked-in machines, but far too often,
they also end up turning into e-waste after a short amount of time.
Manufacturers can go out of business or simply decide to shut down the cloud
servers for older models, and then you're stuck with a brick.
Well, this all changes today, as I've built my first IoT device and I love it.
Introducing pymonitair.
What
pymonitair is a MicroPyt...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 247 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-247-released/
August 4, 2023, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 247. This version includes the following changes:
[ Chris Lamb ]
* Fix compataibility with file(1) version 5.45.
* Use assert_diff in test_uimage and test_cpio.
[ Roland Clobus ]
* xb-tool has moved in Debian bookworm.
You find out more by visiting the project homepage....
Ben Hutchings: FOSS activity in July 2023
https://www.decadent.org.uk/ben/blog/foss-activity-in-july-2023.html
August 3, 2023, 3:23 PM
Click here to read the complete article