Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it depends on what you put into it. -- Tom Lehrer

interests / Offtopic / Re: Soviet Digital Electronics Museum

SubjectAuthor
* Soviet Digital Electronics MuseumRetro Guy
+* porn adictionAnonymous
|`- porn adictionAnonymous
`* Soviet Digital Electronics MuseumRetro Guy
 +- Soviet Digital Electronics MuseumAnonymous
 `* Soviet Digital Electronics Museumtrw
  `* Soviet Digital Electronics MuseumRetro Guy
   `- Soviet Digital Electronics Museumtrw

1
porn adiction

<b.1471.430k0u@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=309&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#309

From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Subject: porn adiction
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2021 05:46:41 -0800
logging-data="6517"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 9 Mar 2021 13:46 UTC

as anyone tried quete porn - if yes what metods do you use?

--
Posted on def2

Re: porn adiction

<fd1dc1363f99f83d78f206b3ecc6e04f@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=334&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#334

From: Anonymous@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Subject: Re: porn adiction
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 11:16:17 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 11:16 UTC

hi
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Soviet Digital Electronics Museum

<77bf2b05063fb9f8bb96884cdcf647a7@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=339&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#339

From: Anonymous@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Subject: Re: Soviet Digital Electronics Museum
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 09:37:12 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 09:37 UTC

This reminds me of where China is going. They have used a lot of Western CPU designs, but are moving in the direction of implementing domestic offshoots like MIPS based Longsoon and their Shenwei.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Soviet Digital Electronics Museum

<7641d6701e3f83e59bbf4c34bfe6d206$1@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=539&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#539

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
To: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Subject: Soviet Digital Electronics Museum
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 12:37:45 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 25 Aug 2018 19:37 UTC

A retro look at some old digital electronics in USSR, with pics.

http://www.leningrad.su/museum/

Re: Soviet Digital Electronics Museum

<148dc912a6073d054fb46214216b7bfb$1@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=540&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#540

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-q8c-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 12:40:52 -0700
To: Retro Guy
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 25 Aug 2018 19:40 UTC

To: Retro Guy
http://englishrussia.com/2016/09/03/minsk-vs-ibm/

Minsk vs IBM
Posted on September 3, 2016 by marina

Exactly 35 years ago, the first IBM PC in history went on sale, but long
before that day — in the 1960’s, one of the centers of Soviet
Cybernetics was in Belarus. Let us remember the story of a family of
computing machinery “Minsk” which won All-Union glory, and then lost
it.

The gap between the USSR and the western countries in the field of
computer technology in the 1950’s, according to the most optimistic
estimates, was at least 10 years. Therefore, in August 1956, the decision
of the USSR Council of Ministers was the start of the expansion of the
production of electronic computers across the country. The resolution also
provided for the establishment of centres for their production, design and
development, one of which was supposed to stay in the BSSR.

Soon in Minsk, the Ordzhonikidze Plant was opened, and by 1958, the
Special Design Bureau (SDB) was set up to support and upgrade the
computer. Subsequently, the SDB was transformed into an independent design
and research company – NIIEVM – which is still working to this day.

“Minsk-1″ – the first original Belarusian computer

*First-generation computer Minsk-1*

The first completely original project at the plant became a computer names
“Minsk-1″. Development of the device occurred in a fairly short time
– 18 months. In parallel with the design of the machine, they also
worked on preparing its series production.

Computer testing took place in September 1960, and the first production
samples appeared in the same year. The speed of the computer was estimated
at 2.5 thousand operations per second (for comparison: the speed developed
by the Moscow Institute of Electronic Control Machines computer M-3 was
about 30 operations per second).

Achieving these results was obtained in part through the use of high-speed
memory on ferrite cores, which replaced the older memory on magnetic drums
(in appearance, the memory on magnetic drums resembled the tank of a
washing machine).

Ferrite cores were small rings of special magnetic alloy, 1.5 mm in
diameter. For the “Minsk-1″ there were 80 thousand such rings.

Ferrite core memory.

Programming for this computer was carried out in machine code, but
included in the “delivery” of the machine was a library of 100
programs. Also some of the world’s first auto-programming systems —
translators “Autocode Inzhener” and “Autocode Economist” – were
developed for “Minsk-1″.

Another competitive advantage of the machine was its relatively modest
size. It took about 4 square meters of space to accommodate the entire
system, while some other computers (for example, the Moscow BESM) took as
much as 100 square meters.

All this has allowed the computer “Minsk-1″ in the first half of the
60’s to become the leading type of tube production machines in the
entire USSR. For four years, from 1960 to 1964, 230 “Minsk-1″
computers were made, including a number modified for various industries.

“Minsk-11″ was modified to work with seismic information and telegraph
lines, “Minsk-12″ was created with four times the external memory on
magnetic tape. “Minsk-14″ and “Minsk-16″ were intended for the
processing of meteorological data, and the “Minsk-100″ was created by
order of the Ministry of Interior of the USSR for the detection and
storage of fingerprints and became the original fingerprint computer
storage and retrieval system.

All-Union success of the “Minsk-2″ series of computers

In parallel with the release of the “Minsk-1″ at the Plant, the
development of the second generation of computers, “Minsk-2″, was
undertaken.”Minsk-2″ subsequently became the first semiconductor
computer in the USSR.

The speed ​​of the unit was estimated at 5-6 million operations per
second. It is important to note that the “Minsk-2″ became the first
computer in the entire Soviet Union where text could be entered and
processed. Before this, all the machines worked exclusively with computer
code.

However, the serial production of the machine did not go ahead straight
away. The USSR State Committee for Electronics, to which the technical
design of the machine was sent for approval, refused to accept it. As far
as the Committee was concerned, the SDB factory should only be engaged in
the testing and improvement of already existing computers rather than
being involved with developing new ones.

It was only after the intervention of senior management of the
Byelorussian SSR that the project was approved, and then in 1963
full-scale production began. In all, the plant issued 118 “Minsk-2″
computers.

On the basis of the “Minsk-2″, a number of modified computers were
also created. The “Minsk-26″ and “Minsk-27″ , for example, we
intended for processing data received from meteorological rockets and
satellites «Meteor».

The most popular model was the “Minsk-22″ (in all, 734 units were
released), which compared with the base model, had several times more RAM,
and a tape drive.

“Minsk-22″ Computer

The device was extremely popular in the field of planning and economics.
Input and output devices that used punched cards were connected the the
computer, as well as alphanumeric printing devices.

But the breakthrough model can be considered to be the “Minsk-23″,
released in 1966.

“Minsk-23″ Computer

The performance of the “Minsk-23″ was about 7 thousand operations per
second. It used many, unique for the time, technical developments which
allowed the machine to work in multitasking mode. Amongst the technical
developments were: an advanced system of interruptions and suspensions,
universal communication with external devices, and a protected area of
memory for system programs.

The unit could run up to 3 working and 5 service programs simultaneously.
To do this, the machine was equipped with the first “Manager”
operating system in the USSR.

Several large Soviet enterprises were based on the “Minsk-23″
computer. For example, the system used in the Moscow association
“Mosmoloko” was based on it, as was a system for the sale and
reservation of seats on “Aeroflot” flights. Unfortunately the
“Minsk-23″ was not commercially successful – the plant produced a
total of 28 machines.

The last of the Mohicans: The “Minsk 32″ computer.

The “Minsk-32″ computer was released in 1968 and incorporated all of
the best achievements of the previous models in the series.

“Minsk-32″ Computer

In addition to substantial productivity gains (the machine processed about
30 − 35 thousands operations per second), the presence of a
multiprogramming system (up to 4 independent channels could operate at the
same time), the ability to use Multimachine systems, and the “Minsk
32″ ran software that was compatible with previous computers from the
“Minsk” family.

In the 60’s it was a common practice to create a complex and expensive
program that could only run on a single model of computer system, so the
implementation of such interoperability became a real innovation and
highlight of the “Minsk-32″.

From 1968 to 1975, about 3 thousand of these machines were released, but
despite its popularity, the “Minsk-32″ was the last representative of
the whole “Minsk” family of computers.

Why did “Minsk” computers disappear?

A common problem for all Soviet computers of the late 60’s (with a few
exceptions like the “Minsk-32″) was a complete hardware and software
incompatibility with each other.

Programs designed for a specific computer model simply could not be used
on other machines. This, in turn, significantly increased the cost of
development, where designers had to “write” a program virtually from
scratch.

At the same time, the American company IBM didn’t wait for anyone and in
1965 introduced a new, third generation of electronic computers running on
integrated circuits – the IBM-360, where the software was fully
compatible across models.

Unfortunately, of the two development paths, the second was chosen and the
development of the “Minsk” family of computers was discontinued. In
1970, the founders of the family of these machines were awarded a USSR
State Prize, and since 1971 the Minsk plant for the production of
computers began to produce a Single Series computers (UCS), the
architecture of which was borrowed from IBM.
--- Synchronet 3.17a-Linux NewsLink 1.108
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: Soviet Digital Electronics Museum

<plsh4k$4qt$1@def3.retrobbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=541&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#541

From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 17:19:16 -0400
 by: trw - Sat, 25 Aug 2018 21:19 UTC

i was once told by a hardware guy that the russian boxes where slower for general purpose applications, but much faster
in some special purpose cases, like calculation of ballistics.
don't know if its true...but for sure russia is known for its many mathematicians, programmers and so on (some western
government are customers today for cracking stuff like elcomsoft).
Posted on: def3.i2p

Re: Soviet Digital Electronics Museum

<5B827FAB.197.rs.offtopic@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=542&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#542

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
To: trw
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 03:23:39 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 26 Aug 2018 10:23 UTC

On 08/25/2018 02:19 PM, trw wrote:
> i was once told by a hardware guy that the russian boxes where slower
> for general purpose applications, but much faster
> in some special purpose cases, like calculation of ballistics.

That would make a lot of sense based on this:

"A common problem for all Soviet computers of the late 60’s (with a few
exceptions like the “Minsk-32″) was a complete hardware and software
incompatibility with each other.

"Programs designed for a specific computer model simply could not be
used on other machines. This, in turn, significantly increased the cost
of development, where designers had to “write” a program virtually from
scratch."

Writing a program specifically to run on certain hardware might provide
the opportunity for some very nice optimization.

Re: Soviet Digital Electronics Museum

<plv3hi$6j3$1@def3.retrobbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=543&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#543

From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 16:45:38 -0400
 by: trw - Sun, 26 Aug 2018 20:45 UTC

>Writing a program specifically to run on certain hardware might provide
>the opportunity for some very nice optimization.

it used to be a bug...now it's a feature...
Posted on: def3.i2p