From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: standalone rslight nntp server
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 18:19:08 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 14 Jan 2021 01:19 UTC

I've split the nntp server from rslight so that it can run without the
web interface.

This is all done with config option, no code changes. I wanted to be
able to run just the news server, which is working fine, but I didn't
want to have a separate code base for with/without web interface.

The server can be run in one directory and will create what it needs as
subdirs of that dir.

I'm using this for developing and testing putting articles into
databases instead of an inn type spool. There is a config option to
choose, so the spool is still available if wanted.

This will also make it much easier to develop any bridges between other
transports like activitypub or fms(freenet) or whatever. My goal is
that these can be added as features, without changing the way the
server works for rslight.

This will be in devel testing for a while.

Retro Guy