Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 13:16:59 +0000
Subject: Planet Debian
From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
 by: rslight rss feeds - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 13:16 UTC

Valhalla's Things: Crescent Shawl
https://blog.trueelena.org/blog/2024/01/02-crescent_shawl/index.html
January 2, 2024, 12:00 AM
Posted on January 2, 2024

One of the knitting projects I’m working on is a big bottom-up
triangular shawl in less-than-fingering weight yarn (NM 1/15): it feels
like a cloud should by all rights feel, and I have good expectations out
of it, but it’s taking forever and a day.
And then one day last spring I started thinking in the general direction
of top-down shawls, and decided I couldn’t wait until I had finished the
first one to see if I could design one.
For...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: 2023 Book Reading in Review
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/journal/2024-01/001.html
January 1, 2024, 10:06 PM
In 2023, I finished and reviewed 53 books, continuing a trend of
year-over-year increases and of reading the most books since 2012 (the
last year I averaged five books a month). Reviewing continued to be
uneven, with a significant slump in the summer and smaller slumps in
February and November, and a big clump of reviews finished in October in
addition to my normal year-end reading and reviewing vacation.
The unevenness this year was mostly due to finishing books and not writing
reviews imme...
--------------------
Petter Reinholdtsen: Welcome out of prison, Mickey, hope you find some freedom!
https://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Welcome_out_of_prison__Mickey__hope_you_find_some_freedom_.html
January 1, 2024, 8:00 PM
Today, the animation figure Mickey Mouse finally was released from
the corporate copyright prison, as the 1928 movie
Steamboat
Willie entered the public domain in USA. This movie was the first
public appearance of Mickey Mouse. Sadly the figure is still on
probation, thanks to trademark laws and a the Disney corporations
powerful pack of lawyers, as described in the 2017 article
in "How
Mickey Mouse Evades the Public Domain" from Priceonomics. On the
positive side, the primary driver for repe...
--------------------
Tim Retout: Prevent DOM-XSS with Trusted Types — a smarter DevSecOps approach
https://retout.co.uk/2024/01/01/trusted-types/
January 1, 2024, 12:46 PM
It can be incredibly easy for a frontend developer to accidentally
write a client-side cross-site-scripting (DOM-XSS) security issue, and
yet these are hard for security teams to detect. Vulnerability
scanners are slow, and suffer from false positives. Can smarter
collaboration between development, operations and security teams
provide a way to eliminate these problems altogether?
Google claims that Trusted
Types has all but eliminated
DOM-XSS exploits on those of their sites which have implem...
--------------------
Junichi Uekawa: Happy new year.
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/diary/daily/2024-Jan-1.html.en#2024-Jan-1-17:05:23
January 1, 2024, 8:05 AM
Happy new year. 2023 saw my first foreign travels since COVID lockdown
happened, and that was fun. I felt I had more than enough travel for me.
Work life was challenging due to the lay offs and economic environment
we are operating in, needs a different mode of operation.
Family life is facing a different phase as kids grow, the eldest is
approaching the teens....
--------------------
Paul Wise: FLOSS Activities December 2023
http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2024/01/01/floss-activities/
January 1, 2024, 4:31 AM
Focus
This month I didn't have any particular focus.
I just worked on issues in my info bubble.
Changes
swh-web:
direct replies better,
strip whitespace
Debian screenshots:
deleted
freecell-solver-bin (not a graphical program)
Debian BTS usertags:
fix ports/archive usertags
Debian wiki pages:
DebianAlternatives,
LoongArch,
Mobian/Devices,
Software that can't be packaged,
Statistics,
Teams/Cinnamon
FOSSjobs wiki pages:
Resources
Issues
Feature in
UDD
Conffile removal needed in
neomutt
d...
--------------------
Chris Lamb: Favourites of 2023
https://chris-lamb.co.uk/posts/favourites-of-2023
December 31, 2023, 4:59 PM
This post should have marked the beginning of my yearly roundups of the favourite books and movies I read and watched in 2023.
However, due to coming down with a nasty bout of flu recently and other sundry commitments, I wasn't able to undertake writing the necessary four or five blog posts… In lieu of this, however, I will simply present my (unordered and unadorned) highlights for now. Do get in touch if this (or any of my previous posts) have spurred you into picking something up yourself…...
--------------------
Iustin Pop: Happy New Year!
https://k1024.org/posts/2023/2023-12-31-happy-new-year%21/
December 31, 2023, 2:40 PM
Happy New Year everyone!
Goodbye 2023: you were a… difficult year. Along multiple axes. Learned
new things, learned not pleasant things, and mostly failed at becoming
better.
Hello 2024: I’m hoping I can do better in the coming year. We’ll
see. My goal list is quite long, and ambitious. But all plans meet
reality at one point, so who knows where 2024 will end.
In any case - wishing all good people health, wisdom, and a good year.
--------------------
Petter Reinholdtsen: VLC bittorrent plugin still going strong, new upload 2.14-4
https://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/VLC_bittorrent_plugin_still_going_strong__new_upload_2_14_4.html
December 31, 2023, 9:45 AM
The other day I uploaded a new version of
the VLC
bittorrent plugin to Debian, version 2.14-4, to fix a few
packaging issues. This plugin extend VLC allowing it to stream videos
directly from a bittorrent source using both torrent files and magnet
links, as easy as using a HTTP or local file source. I believe such
protocol support is a vital feature in VLC, allowing efficient
streaming from sources such at the 11 million movies in
the Internet Archive. Bittorrent is
one of the most efficient ...
--------------------
Guido Günther: Phosh 2023 in Retrospect
https://phosh.mobi/posts/phosh-2023-in-retrospect/
December 31, 2023, 12:00 AM
As in 2022 I took another look back at what changed in Phosh in 2023 and instead of just updating my notes why not share it here. In short: While collecting these bits I became really impressed about the progress we made 🚀:
Some numbers Link to heading We were discussing at this years Phosh Community Get Together at Froscon if we should lengthen the Phosh release cycle a bit but we kept the one release per month schedule to get improvements out to users quickly....
--------------------
Riku Voipio: Adguard DNS, or how to reduce ads without apps/extensions
http://suihkulokki.blogspot.com/2023/12/adguard-dns-or-how-to-reduce-ads.html
December 30, 2023, 3:57 PM
Looking at the options for blocking ads, people usually first look at browser extensions. Google's plan is to disable adblock extensions in 2024. The alternative is usually an app (on phones) or a "VPN" that does filtering for you. All these methods are quite heavyweight, and require installing software on your phone or PC. What is less known, is that you can you DNS-over-TLS or DNS-over-HTTPS for ad blocking.
What is DNS-over-TLS and DNS-over-HTTPS
Since Android 9, Google has provided a sett...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: The Hound of Justice
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-06-269938-5.html
December 30, 2023, 3:23 AM
Review: The Hound of Justice, by Claire O'Dell

Series:
Janet Watson Chronicles #2

Publisher:
Harper Voyager

Copyright:
July 2019

ISBN:
0-06-269938-5

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
325

The Hound of Justice is a near-future thriller novel with Sherlock
Holmes references. It is a direct sequel to A Study in Honor. This series is best read in order.
Janet Watson is in a much better place than she was in the first boo...
--------------------
Valhalla's Things: I've been influenced
https://blog.trueelena.org/blog/2023/12/20-i_ve_been_influenced/index.html
December 30, 2023, 12:00 AM
Posted on December 30, 2023

By the influencers on the famous proprietary video platform1.
When I’m crafting with no powertools I tend to watch videos, and this
autumn I’ve seen a few in a row that were making red wool dresses, at
least one or two medieval kirtles. I don’t remember which channels they
were, and I’ve decided not to go back and look for them, at least for a
time.
Anyway, my brain suddenly decided that I needed a red wool dress, fitted
enough to ...
--------------------
Ulrike Uhlig: How do kids conceive the internet? - part 4
https://the.curlybracket.net/2023/12/30/internet-kids-pt4.html
December 29, 2023, 11:00 PM
Read all parts of the series
Part 1
// Part 2
// Part 3
// Part 4
I’ve been wanting to write this post for over a year, but lacked energy
and time. Before 2023 is coming to an end, I want to close this series
and share some more insights with you and hopefully provide you with a
smile here and there.
For this round of interviews, four more kids around the ages of 8 to 13
were interviewed, 3 of them have a US background—these 3
interviews were done by a friend who recorded these interviews ...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: The Afterward
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-7352-3190-7.html
December 29, 2023, 3:23 AM
Review: The Afterward, by E.K. Johnston

Publisher:
Dutton Books

Copyright:
February 2019

Printing:
2020

ISBN:
0-7352-3190-7

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
339

The Afterward is a standalone young adult high fantasy with a
substantial romance component. The title is not misspelled.
Sir Erris and her six companions, matching the number of the new gods,
were successful in their quest for the godsgem. They defeated th...
--------------------
Simon Josefsson: Validating debian/copyright: licenserecon
https://blog.josefsson.org/2023/12/29/validating-debian-copyright-licenserecon/
December 28, 2023, 11:17 PM
Recently I noticed a new tool called licenserecon written by Peter Blackman, and I helped get licenserecon into Debian. The purpose of licenserecon is to reconcile licenses from debian/copyright against the output from licensecheck, a tool written by Jonas Smedegaard. It assumes DEP5 copyright files. You run the tool in a directory that has a debian/ sub-directory, and its output when it notices mismatches (this is for resolv-wrapper):
# sudo apt install licenserecon
jas@kaka:~/dpkg/resolv...
--------------------
Antonio Terceiro: Debian CI: 10 years later
https://terceiro.xyz/2023/12/28/debian-ci-10-years-later/
December 28, 2023, 3:00 PM
It was 2013, and I was on a break from work between Christmas and New Year of
2013. I had been working at Linaro for well over a year, on the LAVA
project. I was living and breathing automated testing infrastructure,
mostly for testing low-level components such as kernels and bootloaders, on
real hardware.
At this point I was also a Debian contributor for quite some years, and had
become an official project members two years prior. Most of my involvement was
in the Ruby team, where we were alre...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: Nettle & Bone
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/1-250-24403-X.html
December 28, 2023, 3:58 AM
Review: Nettle &amp; Bone, by T. Kingfisher

Publisher:
Tor

Copyright:
2022

ISBN:
1-250-24403-X

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
242

Nettle &amp; Bone is a standalone fantasy novel with fairy tale vibes.
T. Kingfisher is a pen name for Ursula Vernon.
As the book opens, Marra is giving herself a blood infection by wiring
together dog bones out of a charnel pit. This is the second of three
impossible tasks that she was given by the ...
--------------------
David Bremner: Added a derived backend for org export
https://www.cs.unb.ca/~bremner//blog/posts/web-stacker2/
December 27, 2023, 7:15 PM
See web-stacker for the background.
yantar92 on #org-mode pointed out that a derived backend would be
a cleaner solution. I had initially thought it was too complicated, but I have to agree the example in the org-mode documentation does
pretty much what I need.
This new approach has the big advantage that the generation of URLs
happens at export time, so it's not possible for the displayed program
code and the version encoded in the URL to get out of sync.
;; derived backend to customize src ...
--------------------
Bits from Debian: Statement about the EU Cyber Resilience Act
https://bits.debian.org/2023/12/debian-statement-cyber-resillience-act.md.html
December 27, 2023, 4:30 PM
Debian Public Statement about the EU Cyber Resilience Act and the Product Liability Directive
The European Union is currently preparing a regulation "on horizontal
cybersecurity requirements for products with digital elements" known as the
Cyber Resilience Act (CRA). It is currently in the final "trilogue" phase of
the legislative process. The act includes a set of essential cybersecurity and
vulnerability handling requirements for manufacturers. It will require products
to be accompanied by inf...
--------------------
David Bremner: Generating links to a web IDE from org-beamer
https://www.cs.unb.ca/~bremner//blog/posts/web-stacker/
December 27, 2023, 4:01 PM
The Emacs part is superceded by a cleaner approach
I the upcoming term I want to use KC Lu's
web based stacker tool.
The key point is that it takes (small) programs encoded as part of the url.
Yesterday I spent some time integrating it into my existing
org-beamer workflow.
In my init.el I have
(defun org-babel-execute:stacker (body params)
(let* ((table '(? ?n ?: ?/ ?? ?# ?[ ?] ?@ ?! ?$ ?&amp; ??
?( ?) ?* ?+ ?, ?= ?%))
(slug (org-link-encode body table))
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: A Study in Scarlet
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/1-5039-5525-7.html
December 27, 2023, 3:44 AM
Review: A Study in Scarlet, by Arthur Conan Doyle

Series:
Sherlock Holmes #1

Publisher:
AmazonClassics

Copyright:
1887

Printing:
February 2018

ISBN:
1-5039-5525-7

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
159

A Study in Scarlet is the short mystery novel (probably a novella,
although I didn't count words) that introduced the world to Sherlock
Holmes.
I'm going to invoke the 100-year-rule and discuss the plot of ...
--------------------
Sergio Talens-Oliag: GitLab CI/CD Tips: Automatic Versioning Using semantic-release
https://blogops.mixinet.net/posts/gitlab-ci/semantic-release/
December 25, 2023, 11:30 PM
This post describes how I’m using
semantic-release on
gitlab-ci to manage versioning automatically
for different kinds of projects following a simple workflow (a develop branch
where changes are added or merged to test new versions, a temporary
release/#.#.# to generate the release candidate versions and a main branch
where the final versions are published).
What is semantic-releaseIt is a Node.js application designed to manage project
versioning information on Git Repositories using a
Continu...
--------------------
John Goerzen: The Grumpy Cricket (And Other Enormous Creatures)
https://changelog.complete.org/archives/10618-the-grumpy-cricket-and-other-enormous-creatures
December 25, 2023, 8:23 PM
This Christmas, one of my gifts to my kids was a text adventure (interactive fiction) game for them. Now that they’ve enjoyed it, I’m releasing it under the GPL v3.
As interactive fiction, it’s like an e-book, but the reader is also the player, guiding the exploration of the world.
The Grumpy Cricket is designed to be friendly for a first-time player of interactive fiction. There is no way to lose the game or to die. There is an in-game hint system providing context-sensitive hints anytim...
--------------------
Gunnar Wolf: Pushing some reviews this way
https://gwolf.org/2023/12/pushing-some-reviews-this-way.html
December 22, 2023, 5:17 PM
Over roughly the last year and a half I have been participating as a reviewer in
ACM’s Computing Reviews, and have even
been honored as a Featured
Reviewer.
Given I have long enjoyed reading friends’ reviews of their reading material
(particularly, hats off to the very active Russ
Allbery, who both beats all of my
frequency expectations (I could never sustain the rythm he reads to!) and holds
documented records for his &gt;20 years as a book reader, with far more clarity and
readability tha...
--------------------
Joachim Breitner: The Haskell Interlude Podcast
https://www.joachim-breitner.de/blog/810-The_Haskell_Interlude_Podcast
December 22, 2023, 9:04 AM
It was pointed out to me that I have not blogged about this, so better now than never:
Since 2021 I am – together with four other hosts – producing a regular podcast about Haskell, the Haskell Interlude. Roughly every two weeks two of us interview someone from the Haskell Community, and we chat for approximately an hour about how they came to Haskell, what they are doing with it, why they are doing it and what else is on their mind. Sometimes we talk to very famous people, like Simon Peyton ...
--------------------
Russell Coker: Links December 2023
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2023/12/21/links-december-2023/
December 21, 2023, 12:17 PM
David Brin wrote an insightful blog post about the latest round of UFO delusion [1]. There aren’t a heap of scientists secretly working on UFOs.
David Brin wrote an informative and insightful blog post about rich doomsday preppers who want to destroy democracy [2].
Cory Doctorow wrote an interesting article about how ChatGPT helps people write letters and how that decreases the value of the letter [3]. What can we do to show that letters mean something? Hand deliver them? Pay someone to hand d...
--------------------
Ulrike Uhlig: How volunteer work in F/LOSS exacerbates pre-existing lines of oppression, and what that has to do with low diversity
https://the.curlybracket.net/2023/12/21/unpaid-work.html
December 20, 2023, 11:00 PM
This is a post I wrote in June 2022, but did not publish back then.
After first publishing it in December 2023, a perfectionist insecure
part of me unpublished it again. After receiving positive feedback, i
slightly amended and republish it now.
In this post, I talk about unpaid work in F/LOSS, taking on the example
of hackathons, and why, in my opinion, the expectation of volunteer work
is hurting diversity.
Disclaimer: I don’t have all the answers, only some ideas and questions.
Previous ...
--------------------
Ryan Kavanagh: Battery charge start and stop threshold on OpenBSD
https://rak.ac/blog/2023-12-20-battery-charge-start-stop-threshold-on-openbsd/
December 20, 2023, 4:11 PM
I often use my laptops as portable desktops: they are plugged into AC
power and an external monitor/keyboard 95% of time. Unfortunately,
continuous charging is hard on the battery. To mitigate this,
ThinkPads have customizable start and stop charging thresholds, such
that the battery will only start charging if its level falls below the
start threshold, and it will stop charging as soon as it reaches the
stop threshold. Suggested thresholds from Lenovo’s battery team can
be found in this comm...
--------------------
Russell Coker: Abuse and Free Software
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2023/12/20/abuse-free-software/
December 20, 2023, 12:36 PM
People in positions of power can get away with mistreating other people. For any organisation to operate effectively there have to be mechanisms to address bad behaviour, both to help the organisation to achieve it’s goals and to protect people who work for it.
When an organisation operates in the public interest there is a greater reason to try to prevent bad behaviour as hurting people is not in the public interest.
There are many forms of power, in the free software community a reputation f...
--------------------
Melissa Wen: The Rainbow Treasure Map Talk: Advanced color management on Linux with AMD/Steam Deck.
https://melissawen.github.io/blog/2023/12/20/xdc2023-colors-talk
December 20, 2023, 12:00 PM
Last week marked a major milestone for me:
the AMD driver-specific color management properties
reached the upstream linux-next!
And to celebrate, I’m happy to share the
slides
notes from my 2023 XDC talk, “The Rainbow Treasure Map” along with the
individual recording that just
dropped last week on youtube – talk about happy coincidences!
Steam Deck Rainbow: Treasure Map &amp; Magic Frogs
While I may be bubbly and chatty in everyday life, the stage isn’t exactly my
comfort zone (ha...
--------------------
Matthew Garrett: Making SSH host certificates more usable
https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/68721.html
December 19, 2023, 7:48 PM
Earlier this year, after Github accidentally committed their private RSA SSH host key to a public repository, I wrote about how better support for SSH host certificates would allow this sort of situation to be handled in a user-transparent way without any negative impact on security. I was hoping that someone would read this and be inspired to fix the problem but sadly that didn't happen so I've actually written some code myself.The core part of this is straightforward - if a server presents you...
--------------------
Steinar H. Gunderson: Waiting for updates
http://blog.sesse.net/blog/tech/2023-12-19-15-06_waiting_for_updates.html
December 19, 2023, 2:06 PM
Apple M1: A CPU that's twice as fast, that requires you to run an OS that's
5x as slow.
(OK, the Asahi people are doing great work and one day I'll try running their
product, but for macOS development you kind of need macOS)
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: William Basinski, Gateshead, 2022
https://jmtd.net/log/basinski/
December 19, 2023, 9:33 AM
I was looking over the list of live music I'd seen this year and realised that
avante-garde composer William Basinski was actually last year and I had
forgotten to write about it!
In November 2022, Basinski headlined a night of performances which otherwise
featured folk from the venue's "Arists in Residence" programme, with some
affiliation to Newcastle's DIY music
scene.
Unfortunately we arrived too late to catch any of the other acts: partly
because of the venue's sometimes doggiest insis...
--------------------
François Marier: Filtering your own spam using SpamAssassin
https://feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/filtering-own-spam-using-spamassassin/
December 19, 2023, 6:20 AM
I know that people rave about GMail's spam filtering, but it didn't work for
me: I was seeing too many false positives. I personally prefer to see some
false negatives (i.e. letting some spam through), but to reduce false
positives as much as possible (and ideally have a way to tune this).
Here's the local SpamAssassin setup I
have put together over many years. In addition to the parts I describe here,
I also turn off
greylisting on my email
provider (KolabNow) because I don't want to have to
w...
--------------------
Antoine Beaupré: (Re)introducing screentest
https://anarc.at/blog/2023-12-18-rewrote-screentest/
December 19, 2023, 3:46 AM
I have accidentally rewritten screentest, an old
X11/GTK2 program that I was previously using to, well, test
screens.
Screentest is dead
It was removed from Debian in May 2023 but had already missed two
releases (Debian 11 "bullseye" and 12 "bookworm") due to release
critical bugs. The stated reason for removal was:
The package is orphaned and its upstream is no longer developed. It
depends on gtk2, has a low popcon and no reverse dependencies.
So I had little hope to see this program back ...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: tinythemes 0.0.1 at CRAN: New Package
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/12/18#tinythemes_0.0.1
December 19, 2023, 12:28 AM
Delighted to announce a new package that arrived on CRAN today: tinythemes. It
repackages the theme_ipsum_rc() function by Bob Rudis from his hrbrthemes
package in a zero (added) dependency way. A simple example is (also
available as a demo inside the packages in the next update) contrasts
the default style (on left) with the one added by this package (on the
right):
The GitHub
repo also shows this little example: total dependencies of hrbrthemes
over what ggplot2
installs:
&gt; db &lt;- tools:...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: littler 0.3.19 on CRAN: Several Updates
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/12/17#littler-0.3.19
December 17, 2023, 10:33 PM
The twentieth release of littler as a
CRAN package
landed a few minutes ago, following in the now seventeen year history
(!!) as a package started by Jeff in 2006, and joined
by me a few weeks later.
littler
is the first command-line interface for R as it predates
Rscript. It allows for piping as well for shebang
scripting via #!, uses command-line arguments more
consistently and still starts
faster. It also always loaded the methods package which
Rscript only began to do in recent years.
little...
--------------------
Thomas Lange: Adding a writeable data partition to an ISO image
http://blog.fai-project.org/posts/extending-iso-images/
December 16, 2023, 9:24 PM
Some years ago a customer needed a live ISO containing a customized
FAI environment (not for installing but for extended hardware stress
tests), but on an USB stick with the possibility to store the logs of
the tests on the USB stick. But an ISO file system (iso9660) remains
read-only, even when put onto an USB stick.
I had the idea to add another partition onto the USB stick after
the ISO was written to it (using cp or dd).
You can use fdisk with an ISO file, add a new partition, loop mount
the...
--------------------
Scarlett Gately Moore: KDE: Snaps, KDEneon, Debian and my future.
https://www.scarlettgatelymoore.dev/kde-snaps-kdeneon-debian-and-my-future/
December 15, 2023, 9:33 PM
First I want to thank KDE for this wonderful write up on LinkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/posts/kde_akademy-2023-over-a-million-reasons-why-activity-7139965489153208320-PNem?utm_source=share&amp;utm_medium=member_desktop It made my heart explode with happiness as I prepped for my interview on Monday. I didn’t get the job ( Just the usual “we were very impressed with your experience, but we went with another candidate” ). I think the cosmos is determined for me to hold out for the ‘proj...
--------------------
Arturo Borrero González: OpenTofu: handcrafted include-file mechanism with YAML
https://ral-arturo.org/2023/12/14/opentofu.html
December 14, 2023, 3:00 PM
I recently started playing with Terraform/OpenTofu almost on a daily basis.
The other day I was working with Amazon Managed Prometheus (or AMP), and wanted to define prometheus alert rules on YAML files.
I decided that I needed a way to put the alerts on a bunch of files, and then load them by the declarative code, on the correct
AMP workspace.
I came up with this code pattern that I’m sharing here, for my future reference, and in case it is interesting to someone else.
The YAML file whe...
--------------------
Russell Coker: Fat Finger Shell
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2023/12/14/fat-finger-shell/
December 14, 2023, 10:35 AM
I’ve been trying out the Fat Finger Shell which is a terminal emulator for Linux on touch screen devices where the keyboard is overlayed with the terminal output. This means that instead of having a tiny keyboard and a tiny terminal output you have the full screen for both. There is a YouTube video showing how the Fat Finger Shell works [1].
Here is a link to the Github page [2], which hasn’t changed much in the last 11 years.
Currently the shell is hard-coded to a 80*24 terminal and a 640*4...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RProtoBuf 0.4.21 on CRAN: Updated Upstream Support!
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/12/13#rprotobuf_0.4.21
December 14, 2023, 12:49 AM
An exciting new release 0.4.21 of RProtoBuf
arrived on CRAN earlier today.
RProtoBuf
provides R with bindings for the
Google Protocol Buffers
(“ProtoBuf”) data encoding and serialization library used and
released by Google, and deployed very widely in numerous projects as a
language and operating-system agnostic protocol.
ProtoBuf
development, following what seemed like a multi-year lull, all of a
sudden picked up again with a vengeance a little while ago. And the
library releases we rely on...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: equivalence problems with StreamGraph
https://jmtd.net/log/type_design/equivalence/
December 13, 2023, 8:51 PM
I've been tackling an equivalence problem with rewritten programs in
StrIoT, our proof-of-concept
stream-processing system.
The StrIoT Logical Optimiser applies a set of rewrite rules to a
stream-processing program, generating a set of variants that can be reasoned
about, ranked, and deployed. The problem I've been tackling is that a variant
may appear to be semantically equivalent to another, but compare (with ==)
as distinct.
The issue relates to the design of our data-type representing prog...
--------------------
Melissa Wen: 15 Tips for Debugging Issues in the AMD Display Kernel Driver
https://melissawen.github.io/blog/2023/12/13/amd-display-debugging-tips
December 13, 2023, 12:25 PM
A self-help guide for examining and debugging the AMD display driver within the
Linux kernel/DRM subsystem.
It’s based on my experience as an external developer working on the driver, and
are shared with the goal of helping others navigate the driver code.
Acknowledgments: These tips were gathered thanks to the countless help
received from AMD developers during the driver development process. The list
below was obtained by examining open source code, reviewing public
documentation, playing w...
--------------------
Raju Devidas: Nextcloud AIO install with docker-compose and nginx reverse proxy
https://raju.dev/nextcloud-aio-install-with-docker-compose-and-reverse-proxy/
December 12, 2023, 6:20 AM
Nextcloud is a popular self-hosted solution for file sync and share as well as cloud apps such as document editing, chat and talk, calendar, photo gallery etc. This guide will walk you through setting up Nextcloud AIO using Docker Compose. This blog post would not be possible without immense help from Sahil Dhiman a.k.a. sahilisterThere are various ways in which the installation could be done, in our setup here are the pre-requisites. A server with docker-compose installedAn existing setup of ng...
--------------------
Raju Devidas: How to remove multiple docker images for a specific pattern
https://raju.dev/how-to-remove-multiple-docker-images-for-a-specific-pattern/
December 12, 2023, 4:21 AM
list of docker images using docker imagesIn my case I want to remove all images which have the beta tag. to do thatuse docker rmi $(docker images --filter "reference=nextcloud/*:beta" -q)you can modify the reference part according to your use case.Ciao!...
--------------------
Freexian Collaborators: Monthly report about Debian Long Term Support, November 2023 (by Roberto C. Sánchez)
https://www.freexian.com/blog/debian-lts-report-2023-11/
December 12, 2023, 12:00 AM
Like each month, have a look at the work funded by Freexian’s Debian LTS offering.
Some notable fixes which were made in LTS during the month of November include the gnutls28 cryptographic library and the freerdp2 Remote Desktop Protocol client/server implementation. The gnutls28 update was prepared by LTS contributor Markus Koschany and dealt with a timing attack which could be used to compromise a cryptographic system, while the freerdp2 update was prepared by LTS contributor Tobias Frost an...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Talks: why?
https://jmtd.net/log/talks/
December 11, 2023, 4:08 PM
I'd planned to write some private mail on the subject of preparing and
delivering conference talks. However, each time I try to write that mail,
I've managed to somehow contrive to lose it. So I thought I'd try as a
blog post instead, to break the curse.
The first aspect I wanted to write about is the pre-planning phase, or,
the bit where you decide to give a talk in the first place. But first a
bit about me.
I don't talk all that regularly. I think I'm averaging one talk a year.
I don't consi...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Tex Shura
https://jmtd.net/log/tex_shura/
December 11, 2023, 3:36 PM
So yeah, I bought the Shura.
It's been about a year since I got the Tex Shinobi keyboard. I ended up
taking to the office and using it there. The MX Silent Red switches are a good
fit for a shared space, and I have a bit more desk space so the extra large
footprint is not a problem.
Back at home, I have a reasonably large desk, but I've got a Synth jammed at
the back-centre, leaving a slightly tight budget for keyboard depth. The Shura
is nice and compact and fits in perfectly.
So wha...
--------------------
Scarlett Gately Moore: KDE: KDE Snaps 23.08.4, PIM! KDE neon, Debian
https://www.scarlettgatelymoore.dev/kde-kde-snaps-23-08-4-pim-kde-neon-debian/
December 10, 2023, 1:33 PM
KDE PIM Kaddressbook snap
KDE Snaps:
This weeks big accomplishment is KDE PIM snaps! I have successfully added akonadi as a service via an akonadi content snap and running it as a service. Kaddressbook is our first PIM snap with this setup and it works flawlessly! It is available in the snap store. I have a pile of MRs awaiting approvals, so keep your eye out for the rest of PIM in the next day.
KDE Applications 23.08.4 has been released and available in the snap store.
Krita 5.2.2 h...
--------------------
Freexian Collaborators: Debian Contributions: Python 3.12 preparations, debian-printing, merged-/usr tranisition updates, and more! (by Utkarsh Gupta)
https://www.freexian.com/blog/debian-contributions-11-2023/
December 10, 2023, 12:00 AM
Contributing to Debian
is part of Freexian’s mission. This article
covers the latest achievements of Freexian and their collaborators. All of this
is made possible by organizations subscribing to our
Long Term Support contracts and
consulting services.
Preparing for Python 3.12 by Stefano Rivera
Stefano uploaded a few packages in preparation for Python 3.12, including
pycxx and cython. Cython has a major new version (Cython 3), adding support
for 3.12, but also bringing changes that many packa...
--------------------
Simon Josefsson: Classic McEliece goes to IETF and OpenSSH
https://blog.josefsson.org/2023/12/10/classic-mceliece-goes-to-ietf-and-openssh/
December 9, 2023, 11:11 PM
My earlier work on Streamlined NTRU Prime has been progressing along. The IETF document on sntrup761 in SSH has passed several process points. GnuPG’s libgcrypt has added support for sntrup761. The libssh support for sntrup761 is working, but the merge request is stuck mostly due to lack of time to debug why the regression test suite sporadically errors out in non-sntrup761 related parts with the patch.
The foundation for lattice-based post-quantum algorithms has some uncertainty around it...
--------------------
Steinar H. Gunderson: Cubemap 1.5.0 released
http://blog.sesse.net/blog/tech/2023-12-09-17-18_cubemap_1_5_0_released.html
December 9, 2023, 4:18 PM
I've released version 1.5.0 of Cubemap,
my scalable video reflector. This was a long time coming, and I've mostly
been lazy about getting the actual release out. :-) There are some fairly
big features this time, reflecting further the fact that my primary way
of creating video isn't VLC anymore (which was Cubemap's original proposal;
a better reflector for VLC). It's on its way up into Debian unstable,
but you can also get it from git and just build.
Changelog goes as follows:
Cubemap 1.5.0, 2...
--------------------
Thorsten Alteholz: My Debian Activities in November 2023
http://blog.alteholz.eu/2023/12/my-debian-activities-in-november-2023/
December 9, 2023, 1:49 PM
FTP master
This month I accepted 276 and rejected 25 packages. The overall number of packages that got accepted was 276. I also handled several RM bugs, so the archive did not grow that much :-).
Debian LTS
This was my hundred-thirteenth month that I did some work for the Debian LTS initiative, started by Raphael Hertzog at Freexian.
During my allocated time I uploaded:
[DLA 3670-1] minizip security update for one CVE to fix an integer overflow[DLA 3673-1] gst-plugins-bad1.0 secu...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppInt64 0.0.4 on CRAN: Minor Bugfix
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/12/09#rcppint64_0.0.4
December 9, 2023, 1:22 PM
The new-ish package RcppInt64
(announced earlier this fall in this
post, with two small updates following) arrived on CRAN minutes ago as relase 0.0.4.
RcppInt64
collects some of the previous conversions between 64-bit integer values
in R and C++, and regroups them in a single package. It offers two
interfaces: both a more standard as&lt;&gt;() converter
from R values along with its companions wrap() to return to
R, as well as more dedicated functions ‘from’ and ‘to’.
This release addres...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: The scourge of Electron, the nostalgia of Pidgin
https://jmtd.net/log/pidgin/
December 8, 2023, 2:18 PM
For reasons I won't go into right now, I've spent some of this year
working on a refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 260. Despite it being
relatively underpowered, I love almost everything about it.
Unfortunately the model I bought has 8G RAM which turned out to be
more limiting than I thought it would be. You can do incredible
things with 8G of RAM: incredible, wondrous things. And most of
my work, whether that's wrangling containers, hacking on OpenJDK, or
complex Haskell projects, are manageabl...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 253 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-253-released/
December 8, 2023, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 253. This version includes the following changes:
* Improve DOS/MBR extraction by adding support for 7z.
(Closes: reproducible-builds/diffoscope#333)
* Process objdump symbol comment filter inputs as the Python "bytes" type
(and not str). (Closes: reproducible-builds/diffoscope#358)
* Add a missing RequiredToolNotFound import.
* Update copyright years.
You find out more by visiting the project homepage....
--------------------
Dima Kogan: roslanch and =LD_PRELOAD=
http://notes.secretsauce.net/notes/2023/12/07_roslanch-and-ldpreload.html
December 7, 2023, 8:56 PM
This is part 2 of our series entitled "ROS people don't know how to use
computers". This is about ROS1. ROS2 is presumably broken in some completely
different way, but I don't know.
Unlike normal people, the ROS people don't "run" applications. They "launch"
"nodes" from "packages" (these are "ROS" packages; obviously). You run
roslaunch PACKAGE THING.launch
Then it tries to find this PACKAGE (using some rules that nobody understands),
and tries to find the file THING.launch within th...
--------------------
Daniel Kahn Gillmor: New OpenPGP certificate for dkg, December 2023
https://dkg.fifthhorseman.net/blog/2023-dkg-openpgp-transition.html
December 7, 2023, 12:15 AM
dkg's New OpenPGP certificate in December 2023
In December of 2023, I'm moving to a new OpenPGP certificate.
You might know my old OpenPGP certificate, which had an fingerprint of
C29F8A0C01F35E34D816AA5CE092EB3A5CA10DBA.
My new OpenPGP certificate has a fingerprint of:
D477040C70C2156A5C298549BB7E9101495E6BF7.
Both certificates have the same set of User IDs:
Daniel Kahn Gillmor
&lt;dkg@debian.org&gt;
&lt;dkg@fifthhorseman.net&gt;
You can find a version of this transition statement signed by b...

Click here to read the complete article