A formal parsing algorithm should not always be used. -- D. Gries

computers / General / Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.

SubjectAuthor
* When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.SugarBug
+* Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.Retro Guy
|`* Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.Retro Guy
| `* Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.Marco Moock
|  `- Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.Retro Guy
+- Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.Retro Guy
`* Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.Stainless Steel Rat
 `* Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.Retro Guy
  `- Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.Stainless Steel Rat

1
When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.

<ulqfo6$fb6a$2@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=829&group=rocksolid.shared.general#829

From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:07:13 -0600
 by: SugarBug - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 22:07 UTC

When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood of users seeking
web-based access to Usenet. What do you think is the probability of the
Rocksolid / NovaBBS web portals getting slammed with signups?

Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.

<9c3606abbd168c61e0570b64ebdecd2c$1@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=830&group=rocksolid.shared.general#830

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 22:13:19 +0000
From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 22:13 UTC

On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:07:13 -0600, SugarBug wrote:

> When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood of users seeking
> web-based access to Usenet. What do you think is the probability of the
> Rocksolid / NovaBBS web portals getting slammed with signups?

They already are. I try to steer people to using a newsreader, but a web
portal is the only thing some will use.

So far, no problem. We'll never know how it handles until it's tested.
Some will put efforts into breaking it, that is to be expected and it has
happened several times in the past.

Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.

<e96156dbad41c4d5e5c4303817974e02@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=831&group=rocksolid.shared.general#831

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 14:52:48 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 14:52 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:07:13 -0600, SugarBug wrote:

>> When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood of users seeking
>> web-based access to Usenet. What do you think is the probability of the
>> Rocksolid / NovaBBS web portals getting slammed with signups?

> They already are. I try to steer people to using a newsreader, but a web
> portal is the only thing some will use.

> So far, no problem. We'll never know how it handles until it's tested.
> Some will put efforts into breaking it, that is to be expected and it has
> happened several times in the past.

And it begins... lol

--
Retro Guy

Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.

<ulse1o$3kl1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=832&group=rocksolid.shared.general#832

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:49:12 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 15:49 UTC

Am 19.12.2023 um 14:52:48 Uhr schrieb Retro Guy:

> Retro Guy wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:07:13 -0600, SugarBug wrote:
>
> >> When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood of users seeking
> >> web-based access to Usenet. What do you think is the probability
> >> of the Rocksolid / NovaBBS web portals getting slammed with
> >> signups?
>
> > They already are. I try to steer people to using a newsreader, but
> > a web portal is the only thing some will use.
>
> > So far, no problem. We'll never know how it handles until it's
> > tested. Some will put efforts into breaking it, that is to be
> > expected and it has happened several times in the past.
>
> And it begins... lol

Can you give more information what exactly happened?

Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.

<f8088eea3cdb9d5b8829bde07547fc69$1@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=833&group=rocksolid.shared.general#833

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:00:24 +0000
From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:00 UTC

On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:49:12 +0100, Marco Moock wrote:

> Am 19.12.2023 um 14:52:48 Uhr schrieb Retro Guy:
>
>> Retro Guy wrote:

>> > They already are. I try to steer people to using a newsreader, but a
>> > web portal is the only thing some will use.
>>
>> > So far, no problem. We'll never know how it handles until it's
>> > tested. Some will put efforts into breaking it, that is to be
>> > expected and it has happened several times in the past.
>>
>> And it begins... lol
>
> Can you give more information what exactly happened?

What appears to be a (sorta weak) ddos. Multiple ips hitting pages at high
rates of speed. This has happened in the past, and for prolonged periods
of time. I'm kind of used to it now, lol.

There are filters in place to handle it. When you see hundreds of users
online at the bottom of the site, this is usually why.

It's not standard spiders, I handle that differently.

Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.

<130f127a6f6f161b851270921e07d663@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=834&group=rocksolid.shared.general#834

Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 18:44:21 +0000
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 18:44 UTC

SugarBug wrote:

> When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood of users seeking
> web-based access to Usenet. What do you think is the probability of the
> Rocksolid / NovaBBS web portals getting slammed with signups?

The biggest issue so far is people migrating from Google that want every feature of rslight to match Google Groups :)

They are so used to that interface, any other interface is wrong, lol.

--
Retro Guy

Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.

<20240115135059.79C9B1200AB@fleegle.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=837&group=rocksolid.shared.general#837

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 13:50:59 +0000 (GMT)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Author-Supplied-Address: ssr<AT>nym<DOT>mixmin<DOT>net
From: Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1] (Stainless Steel Rat)
 by: Stainless Steel Rat - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 13:50 UTC

On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 18:44:21 +0000, Retro Guy <retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com> said:

> SugarBug wrote:
>
>> When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood of users seeking
>> web-based access to Usenet. What do you think is the probability of the
>> Rocksolid / NovaBBS web portals getting slammed with signups?
>
> The biggest issue so far is people migrating from Google that want every
> feature of rslight to match Google Groups
>
> They are so used to that interface, any other interface is wrong, lol.

Just look at our pal, Darius -- he's the poster-child for this. I would
suggest adding a paragraph to the user signup to the effect that services
are provided AS-IS, and if they don't like it, to take a hike.

> --
> Retro Guy

Stainless Steel Rat

Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.

<5872a211a19233bfecbd1fe18bd6f36c@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=838&group=rocksolid.shared.general#838

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:30:05 +0000
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:30 UTC

Stainless Steel Rat wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 18:44:21 +0000, Retro Guy <retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com> said:

>> SugarBug wrote:
>>
>>> When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood of users seeking
>>> web-based access to Usenet. What do you think is the probability of the
>>> Rocksolid / NovaBBS web portals getting slammed with signups?
>>
>> The biggest issue so far is people migrating from Google that want every
>> feature of rslight to match Google Groups
>>
>> They are so used to that interface, any other interface is wrong, lol.

> Just look at our pal, Darius -- he's the poster-child for this. I would
> suggest adding a paragraph to the user signup to the effect that services
> are provided AS-IS, and if they don't like it, to take a hike.

There are people happily posting using my sites, but a few just can't grasp that Usenet might look a bit different than Google Groups.

I personally have always found Google sites quite boring. GG actually makes Rocksolid Light look modern in some ways :)

Yes, Darius needs therapy.

--
Retro Guy

Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.

<20240115145501.371951200A3@fleegle.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=839&group=rocksolid.shared.general#839

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:55:01 +0000 (GMT)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Author-Supplied-Address: ssr<AT>nym<DOT>mixmin<DOT>net
From: Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1] (Stainless Steel Rat)
 by: Stainless Steel Rat - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:55 UTC

On Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:30:05 +0000, Retro Guy <retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com>
said:

> Stainless Steel Rat wrote:

>>> The biggest issue so far is people migrating from Google that want every
>>> feature of rslight to match Google Groups
>>>
>>> They are so used to that interface, any other interface is wrong, lol.
>
>> Just look at our pal, Darius -- he's the poster-child for this. I would
>> suggest adding a paragraph to the user signup to the effect that services
>> are provided AS-IS, and if they don't like it, to take a hike.
>
> There are people happily posting using my sites, but a few just can't
> grasp that Usenet might look a bit different than Google Groups.

Lemme guess... it's those 5% who give you 95% of the headaches...

> I personally have always found Google sites quite boring. GG actually
> makes Rocksolid Light look modern in some ways

Never used Google groups, never wanted to. I never liked the idea of having
my online activity directly related to a Google account. The miserable sods
know too bloody much about me already.

> Yes, Darius needs therapy.

I'd settle for a straitjacket and a ball-gag (so he can't post using Siri,
or equivalent.) He was fun for a few minutes, but next time he posts, I'm
gonna plonk him.

> --
> Retro Guy

Stainless Steel Rat