From: mjackson@alumni.caltech.edu (Mark Jackson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Subject: Rochester Democrat & Chronicle Sunday Comics
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 22:34:08 -0400
 by: Mark Jackson - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 02:34 UTC

This morning the Sunday comics were in their usual place with the
advertising inserts - but the lineup was considerably different, and all
from the "approved" list for Gannett papers:

Baby Blues*
Baldo*
Beetle Bailey*
Blondie
Born Loser*
Crabgrass
Crankshaft*
Dennis the Menace
Family Circus*
For Better or Worse
Foxtrot*
Frank & Ernest*
Garfield
Hagar
Jumpstart
Luann*
Marmaduke*
Non Sequitur*
Peanuts
Pearls Befpre Swine
Pickles
Ziggy
Zits*

*these were new additions. Dropped from the previous Sunday lineup were
B.C., Broomhilda, Doonesbury, Hi and Lois, Prince Valiant, Rex Morgan,
Rubes, Shoe, and Wizard of Id.

Then, inside the Arts section as pages 3D through 6D, I found the old
comics section (in color)! There didn't seem to be any editorial note
explaining the switchover. Even more oddly the online e-newspaper has
the old comics lineup both as a separate section and within the Arts
section.

Tomorrow we'll see what's up with the dailies.

--
Mark Jackson - https://mark-jackson.online/
Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge.

Re: Rochester Democrat & Chronicle Sunday Comics

<kpnhseF4ehdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=10493&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#10493

From: mjackson@alumni.caltech.edu (Mark Jackson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Subject: Re: Rochester Democrat & Chronicle Sunday Comics
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:30:22 -0400
 by: Mark Jackson - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:30 UTC

On 10/22/2023 10:34 PM, Mark Jackson wrote:
> Tomorrow we'll see what's up with the dailies.

Monday the daily strips were unchanged; I will post if and when they do
change.

--
Mark Jackson - https://mark-jackson.online/
Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge.
Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; knowledge
without compassion is inhuman. - Victor Weisskopf

Re: Rochester Democrat & Chronicle Sunday Comics

<kpol5nFkq5pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=10495&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#10495

From: mjackson@alumni.caltech.edu (Mark Jackson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:32:38 -0400
 by: Mark Jackson - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 01:32 UTC

On 10/22/2023 10:34 PM, Mark Jackson wrote:
> This morning the Sunday comics were in their usual place with the
> advertising inserts - but the lineup was considerably different, and
> all from the "approved" list for Gannett papers:

snip

> There didn't seem to be any editorial note explaining the
> switchover.

Sigh. There *was* an editorial note (found in the e-edition using the
search function). It transpires that the physical Sunday comic sections
on October 15 and 22 had the "wrong" assortment of comics. (I didn't
see this on the 15 because our paper was not delivered that day and I
read the e-edition online after it had been corrected.) The stated
intent is to continue with the old lineup (for now, presumably, since
some are not on the approved list).

Sorry for any confusion. If and when our paper changes their comics
I'll let you know.