Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo.

arts / alt.tv.survivor / Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffed

SubjectAuthor
* Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffedBrian Smith
`* Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffedEmanuel Berg
 `* Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffedBrian Smith
  `* Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffedEmanuel Berg
   +- Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffedBrian Smith
   `* Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffedThe Horny Goat
    `* Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffedBrian Smith
     `* Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffedEmanuel Berg
      `* Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffedEmanuel Berg
       `- Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffedEmanuel Berg

1
Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffed

<50436f13-65a3-419a-bfc6-c3fba47de89an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1075&group=alt.tv.survivor#1075

Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 11:12:52 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffed
From: dcg_brian@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
 by: Brian Smith - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 19:12 UTC

Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffed

The host is done playing nice with folks who voluntarily leave the game.

By Dalton Ross

Published on November 15, 2023

Survivor fans were outraged when two of the first four elimination on the current season occurred because players Hannah Rose and Sean Edwards, who otherwise would have been safe, decided to quit the game.

While host Jeff Probst was clearly surprised and disappointed by the quits — even saying that Sean “romanticized” his quit and did not own it — he still went through the ceremonial torch snuffing with both contestants that always occurs when a player leaves the game.

Future quitters will not be so lucky. On Wednesday’s episode of Live With Kelly and Mark, Probst was asked by hosts Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos about the Survivor 45 quitters. “Quitters, man,” responded Probst before seeming to downplay the significance. “Yes, two people quit. The truth is over 45 seasons, it’s less than one percent quit. So it’s pretty remarkable people actually do it."

When asked what makes contestants voluntarily leave the game, Probst said that “They just get out there. The one thing you can’t test for in all the psych testing is all the real elements — the rain, the bamboo, the snakes and all that.”

But then Probst took a big, declarative turn. “I want to declare right here on your show that from this point forward if you are a Survivor player and you quit, your torch will not be snuffed. That’s over. To get your torched snuffed, you got to play the game.”

This is not the first time the host has shown disdain for those who lay their torches down. In fact, Probst did exactly that to the torch of the first player to ever quit, Osten Taylor of Survivor: Pearl Islands (season 7), saying “Osten, per your wishes, go home” while snuffing his torch and then throwing it down on the ground. Since then, however, the host appeared to soften his stance on quitters, even at one point telling Lindsey Ogle that she showed maturity in stepping out the game on Survivor: Cagayan (season 28).

It appears that era is now over. It’s unclear what exactly will happen to players in future seasons who quit the game, but a torch snuffing will no longer be part of the process says the host, who is done playing nice in such situations. “You don’t get the moment if you quit, I think,” he told Ripa and Consuelos. "I think I need to be a little harder on that.”

Future contestants be warned, and plan to dig a little deeper if you actually want to have your torch snuffed when your time is up.

Source: https://ew.com/survivor-jeff-probst-quitters-no-longer-get-torch-snuffed-8402222

--
Brian

Re: Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffed

<878r6yerua.fsf@dataswamp.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1076&group=alt.tv.survivor#1076

From: incal@dataswamp.org (Emanuel Berg)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 20:31:25 +0100
 by: Emanuel Berg - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 19:31 UTC

Brian Smith wrote:

> Survivor fans were outraged when two of the first four
> elimination on the current season occurred because players
> Hannah Rose and Sean Edwards, who otherwise would have been
> safe, decided to quit the game.

In US society there is a very harsh tendency toward anyone who
quits, not just in Survivor but anywhere. I think that is
punishment enough and not getting to go thru some ritual is
probably not really a factor to them, since they are already
at their lowest point quitting.

Maybe the fans will take something from the fact it didn't
happen but it should have a very limited impact on people
actually doing it or not.

Fans should not take the game too serious, people are people
and some just won't cope with the game, the starvation, the
elements and the sleep deprivation, so time and again someone
will quit.

No need to punish them any more for that IMO.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

Re: Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffed

<9cec08e6-59df-409e-a167-bf9bdda8dacfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1077&group=alt.tv.survivor#1077

Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 14:18:42 -0800 (PST)
From: dcg_brian@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
 by: Brian Smith - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 22:18 UTC

On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 12:31:30 PM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Brian Smith wrote:
>
> > Survivor fans were outraged when two of the first four
> > elimination on the current season occurred because players
> > Hannah Rose and Sean Edwards, who otherwise would have been
> > safe, decided to quit the game.
> In US society there is a very harsh tendency toward anyone who
> quits, not just in Survivor but anywhere. I think that is
> punishment enough and not getting to go thru some ritual is
> probably not really a factor to them, since they are already
> at their lowest point quitting.
>
> Maybe the fans will take something from the fact it didn't
> happen but it should have a very limited impact on people
> actually doing it or not.
>
> Fans should not take the game too serious, people are people
> and some just won't cope with the game, the starvation, the
> elements and the sleep deprivation, so time and again someone
> will quit.
>
> No need to punish them any more for that IMO.
>
> --
> underground experts united
> https://dataswamp.org/~incal

Let's see if Jeff sticks to his word. S47 doesn't start shooting until next spring so he's got four or five months to change his mind. Maybe people also quit in S46 and that together with this season is what prompted him to say he won't snuff their torches. He should do something. People should test themselves beforehand to make sure they can handle living outdoors with little or no food, etc. Hannah probably knew she couldn't handle it but lied to get a free vacation. How Jeff handles quitters in the future might stop people like Sean and Hannah from even applying. That would be good for the show and us.

--
Brian

Re: Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffed

<87v8a2d46h.fsf@dataswamp.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1078&group=alt.tv.survivor#1078

From: incal@dataswamp.org (Emanuel Berg)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 23:47:50 +0100
 by: Emanuel Berg - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 22:47 UTC

Brian Smith wrote:

> Let's see if Jeff sticks to his word. S47 doesn't start
> shooting until next spring so he's got four or five months
> to change his mind. Maybe people also quit in S46 and that
> together with this season is what prompted him to say he
> won't snuff their torches. He should do something.
> People should test themselves beforehand to make sure they
> can handle living outdoors with little or no food, etc.
> Hannah probably knew she couldn't handle it but lied to get
> a free vacation. How Jeff handles quitters in the future
> might stop people like Sean and Hannah from even applying.
> That would be good for the show and us.

It will happen once in a while, no matter what you do. You can
do all sorts of things that you think will reduce it, and
maybe it will? But ultimately before the real deal plays out,
there is no telling how it will happen.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

Re: Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffed

<e732bdab-1c6e-408e-b621-03166fd62b16n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1079&group=alt.tv.survivor#1079

Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 14:56:44 -0800 (PST)
From: dcg_brian@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
 by: Brian Smith - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 22:56 UTC

On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 3:47:53 PM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Brian Smith wrote:
>
> > Let's see if Jeff sticks to his word. S47 doesn't start
> > shooting until next spring so he's got four or five months
> > to change his mind. Maybe people also quit in S46 and that
> > together with this season is what prompted him to say he
> > won't snuff their torches. He should do something.
> > People should test themselves beforehand to make sure they
> > can handle living outdoors with little or no food, etc.
> > Hannah probably knew she couldn't handle it but lied to get
> > a free vacation. How Jeff handles quitters in the future
> > might stop people like Sean and Hannah from even applying.
> > That would be good for the show and us.
> It will happen once in a while, no matter what you do. You can
> do all sorts of things that you think will reduce it, and
> maybe it will? But ultimately before the real deal plays out,
> there is no telling how it will happen.
> --
> underground experts united
> https://dataswamp.org/~incal

That's true but quits like Sean's and Hannah's never should have happened. Hannah should have applied for BB if she wanted to have a bed and food always available.

--
Brian

Re: Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffed

<s6malih7p4314n3q9fv5960rj5h6hakq7m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1080&group=alt.tv.survivor#1080

From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 15:52:58 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 23:52 UTC

On Wed, 15 Nov 2023 23:47:50 +0100, Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org>
wrote:

>It will happen once in a while, no matter what you do. You can
>do all sorts of things that you think will reduce it, and
>maybe it will? But ultimately before the real deal plays out,
>there is no telling how it will happen.

Seems to me Survivor used to make an exceptional deal about how they
oh so carefully chose their players (but always had alternates as we
learned earl on) so while they can never be 110% sure that a player
won't drop when confronted by adversity the producers obviously do
their best.

That said - I'm glad they brought Bruce Perrault (evacuee from s44)
back for season 45.

(Highly ironic - I watched the season 1 finale as part of the after
party after my sister in law's wedding way back when - her two
daughters are now both of age!)

Re: Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffed

<6615aa5d-c0e7-498a-9f5b-e7de1ed48dcdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1083&group=alt.tv.survivor#1083

Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 21:45:01 -0800 (PST)
From: dcg_brian@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
 by: Brian Smith - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 05:45 UTC

On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 4:53:03 PM UTC-7, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2023 23:47:50 +0100, Emanuel Berg <in...@dataswamp.org>
> wrote:
> >It will happen once in a while, no matter what you do. You can
> >do all sorts of things that you think will reduce it, and
> >maybe it will? But ultimately before the real deal plays out,
> >there is no telling how it will happen.
> Seems to me Survivor used to make an exceptional deal about how they
> oh so carefully chose their players (but always had alternates as we
> learned earl on) so while they can never be 110% sure that a player
> won't drop when confronted by adversity the producers obviously do
> their best.
>
> That said - I'm glad they brought Bruce Perrault (evacuee from s44)
> back for season 45.
>
> (Highly ironic - I watched the season 1 finale as part of the after
> party after my sister in law's wedding way back when - her two
> daughters are now both of age!)

People know what they're expecting now and some of them lie to get cast. Apparently, Adam's cracked the casting code and has helped a number of people to get on the show. Jeff's not happy about it but denies the code has been cracked. Dan Gheesling said he lied to get cast on BB. Being yourself is the best thing to do in most cases but sometimes that won't cut it if you want to get on these shows.

--
Brian

Re: Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffed

<87jzqhd4pr.fsf@dataswamp.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1084&group=alt.tv.survivor#1084

From: incal@dataswamp.org (Emanuel Berg)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 17:48:32 +0100
 by: Emanuel Berg - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 16:48 UTC

Brian Smith wrote:

> People know what they're expecting now and some of them lie
> to get cast. Apparently, Adam's cracked the casting code and
> has helped a number of people to get on the show. Jeff's not
> happy about it but denies the code has been cracked.

Haha, what was the code then?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

Re: Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffed

<87jzqcaxte.fsf@dataswamp.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1092&group=alt.tv.survivor#1092

From: incal@dataswamp.org (Emanuel Berg)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 23:01:49 +0100
 by: Emanuel Berg - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 22:01 UTC

Brian Smith wrote:

>>> People know what they're expecting now and some of them lie
>>> to get cast. Apparently, Adam's cracked the casting code and
>>> has helped a number of people to get on the show. Jeff's not
>>> happy about it but denies the code has been cracked.
>>
>> Haha, what was the code then?
>
> He's not going to say and ruin his business. Here's a link
> to a Reddit thread about the time a few months ago when Jeff
> ripped apart Adam's casting business on his podcast.
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/16ug3m0/oof_jeff_bashed_adams_casting/

Ah, it is Adam from Millennials vs Gen X. That was a fun season!

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

Re: Jeff Probst says Survivor quitters will no longer get torch snuffed

<87bkbnc0w9.fsf@dataswamp.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1093&group=alt.tv.survivor#1093

From: incal@dataswamp.org (Emanuel Berg)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 03:09:58 +0100
 by: Emanuel Berg - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 02:09 UTC

Brian Smith wrote:

>> Ah, it is Adam from Millennials vs Gen X. That was
>> a fun season!
>
> Brandon, Brando, and Kaleb hired Adam to help them get on
> the show. Word on the street is that he helped two of the
> S46 cast to get on the show.

Amazing guy, not only did he win, he got 5 other guys to play
as well.