From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Subject: Re: S42 Ep05 Spoilers and Comments (4/6/2022)
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 15:01:29 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 23:01 UTC

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:17:33 -0500, "John" <john_hartshorn@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I had a thought about this. They need to do a season with no hidden
>immunity idols. Don't tell them this, just don't have any. Jeff should still
>ask the question at tribal if anyone wants to use one, but alas, there are
>none. Send the two players on their "journey of discovery" after every
>immunity challenge, but don't have any "Risk/Reward" on it. They have to
>explain to their tribe what the journey was - Will their tribe believe them
>that there was nothing to risk and nothing to gain? No merge. At some
>point, players share a beach, but "I didn't say anything about a merge" was
>one of Jeff's best lines. Time to go back to just a straight up game
>without all the twists and producer created blind-sides that they all
>anticipate and try to plan for.

I would definitely support this and think the discussions about
strategy in the camps would be hilarious - people would still be
sneaking away trying to find one (as opposed to more useful tasks like
fishing) and twisted people like me would laugh themselves silly - I
remember Survivor 8 (the first all-stars) and it was an excellent
season once you got past Rich's dirty deeds...

Re: S42 Ep05 Spoilers and Comments (4/6/2022)

<877clc1jsg.fsf@dataswamp.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1122&group=alt.tv.survivor#1122

From: incal@dataswamp.org (Emanuel Berg)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 00:38:55 +0100
 by: Emanuel Berg - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 23:38 UTC

The Horny Goat wrote:

>> I had a thought about this. They need to do a season with
>> no hidden immunity idols. Don't tell them this, just don't
>> have any. Jeff should still ask the question at tribal if
>> anyone wants to use one, but alas, there are none. Send the
>> two players on their "journey of discovery" after every
>> immunity challenge, but don't have any "Risk/Reward" on it.
>> They have to explain to their tribe what the journey was -
>> Will their tribe believe them that there was nothing to
>> risk and nothing to gain? No merge. At some point, players
>> share a beach, but "I didn't say anything about a merge"
>> was one of Jeff's best lines. Time to go back to just
>> a straight up game without all the twists and producer
>> created blind-sides that they all anticipate and try to
>> plan for.
>
> I would definitely support this and think the discussions
> about strategy in the camps would be hilarious - people
> would still be sneaking away trying to find one (as opposed
> to more useful tasks like fishing) and twisted people like
> me would laugh themselves silly - I remember Survivor 8 (the
> first all-stars) and it was an excellent season once you got
> past Rich's dirty deeds...

People have been annoyed by twists and advantages for a decade
or more by now. I think the studio has realized this so the
way they edit it is in a way alltho they are there, they
aren't allowed to dominate our perception of the game
completely like they around the "Game Changers" season
and such.

So while the show isn't about them anymore as much as those
seasons were, they should play as big or almost as big a part
today who goes home and who wins.

By now, they are a huge part of the game, nothing to get angry
about (as I used to get, well, a little bit).

"What we need now is acceptance" :)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

Re: S42 Ep05 Spoilers and Comments (4/6/2022)

<874jgg1ipc.fsf@dataswamp.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1123&group=alt.tv.survivor#1123

From: incal@dataswamp.org (Emanuel Berg)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 01:02:23 +0100
 by: Emanuel Berg - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 00:02 UTC

> People have been annoyed by twists and advantages for
> a decade or more by now [...]

The problem they were trying to address with the advantages
was the elimination of the minority alliance by the majority
one by one, and over and over, this made for a game that was
too predictable. Especially when you didn't like the guy(s) in
charge of the majority alliance, why watch another episode
when those guys pick another one off?

And with the hidden immunity idol in particular, a lone wolf
could still win the game by finding them over and over. Well,
in theory anyway, they thought. But a player like Ben actually
won his season like that.

The whole advantage inflation big time and it started to look
like finding an advantage was too damn easy, just walk around
camp and look everywhere, you got it.

Another problem with the inflation was that advantages were
piling up at the end. The low point of that whole thing was
when a player got voted out without a single vote cast
for her! Everyone else either had individual immunity or an
advantage making them safe that tribal.

This in turn they have tried to fix with "can only be played
the next blah blah blah". But all those little rules kind of
complicates the game for the fans, the simplicity of the game
idea got more and more muddled.

So yes, it is a delicate balance.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

Re: S42 Ep05 Spoilers and Comments (4/6/2022)

<0in1oihqv0opkj8nsidendgiu336l265q9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1124&group=alt.tv.survivor#1124

From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:06:15 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 00:06 UTC

On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 00:38:55 +0100, Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org>
wrote:

>People have been annoyed by twists and advantages for a decade
>or more by now. I think the studio has realized this so the
>way they edit it is in a way alltho they are there, they
>aren't allowed to dominate our perception of the game
>completely like they around the "Game Changers" season
>and such.

I've even gotten annoyed at the fire starting challenges in late game
(usually final 4) since it's always so drawn out even though it's
often clear half way through who is going to win.