From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv,can.arts.sf
Subject: Google Gemini reviews Doctor Who The Web Planet
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 13:57:14 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 13:57 UTC

"The Web Planet" is a serial from Doctor Who's classic era,
originally airing in 1964 as part of the First Doctor's tenure.
It holds a somewhat mixed reputation, so here's a breakdown
to help you decide if you'd like to watch it:

Story

The TARDIS lands on a seemingly barren planet covered in webs.
The Doctor, Susan, Ian, and Barbara encounter the Zarbi,
insectoid humanoids who control the planet through
a massive web intelligence called the Animus.
The companions get caught in the webs and must find a way
to free themselves and defeat the Animus while the Doctor
negotiates with the Zarbi.

Review

Strengths

Early Exploration of Alien Concepts: The story introduces
the idea of a sentient web intelligence and insectoid humanoids,
which were unique concepts for television at the time.
Focus on Teamwork: The companions must work together to escape
the webs and overcome challenges, showcasing their resourcefulness
and camaraderie.
Moral Complexity: The Zarbi are not inherently evil,
but their reliance on the Animus raises questions
about blind obedience and the dangers of a hivemind mentality.

Weaknesses

Low-Budget Special Effects: The special effects used for the webs
and the Zarbi costumes might seem primitive and unconvincing
by modern standards.
Slow Pacing: The narrative can feel slow at times, especially
during scenes explaining the situation on the planet
and the Animus' power.
Repetitive Dialogue: The Zarbi have a limited vocabulary,
which can lead to repetitive dialogue and exposition scenes.

Reception:

Positive: Praised for its unique concepts, early exploration
of alien societies, and focus on companionship.
Some fans also appreciate the underlying themes of control
and free will.

Negative: Criticized for its low-budget special effects,
slow pacing, repetitive dialogue, and somewhat uninspired
monster design for the Zarbi.

Overall Thoughts:

"The Web Planet" has interesting ideas but suffers from production
limitations of its time. While the story might feel slow
for modern viewers, it offers a glimpse into the inventiveness
of early Doctor Who and explores thought-provoking themes.

Would I recommend watching it?

For Fans of Classic Doctor Who: 5/10
(Especially those interested in the show's history and development)
For Fans of Modern Doctor Who: 3/10

If you're a die-hard fan of classic Doctor Who and are willing
to overlook the low-budget effects,
"The Web Planet" might be worth checking out for
its unique concepts. However, if you prefer fast-paced
adventures with cutting-edge special effects,
you might find it dated and less exciting.

Additional Points to Consider:

This serial introduced the concept of the TARDIS being
a living entity, which would be touched upon in later stories.
If you enjoy "The Web Planet" for its exploration of alien
societies and moral dilemmas, you might also appreciate other
classic Doctor Who stories like "The Sensorites" or "The Ark."

Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to watch "The Web Planet"
depends on your personal preferences
and your tolerance for slow pacing, low-budget effects,
and stories with
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: Google Gemini reviews Doctor Who The Web Planet

<xn0okt18dc9bn7l000@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=113039&group=rec.arts.drwho#113039

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 19:59:58 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 18:59 UTC

The Doctor wrote:

> "The Web Planet" is a serial from Doctor Who's classic era,
> originally airing in 1964 as part of the First Doctor's
> tenure. It holds a somewhat mixed reputation, so here's a
> breakdown to help you decide if you'd like to watch it:

At a guess, I'd say most of the people here have already decided
to watch "The Web Planet" or to not watch it...it is sixty years
old after all.

It is on the BBC iPlayer for anyone who hasn't seen it though.
;-)

Why not tell us what YOU think about it? We can go from there.
> Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to watch "The Web
> Planet" depends on your personal preferences
> and your tolerance for slow pacing, low-budget effects

Like a lot of the early stuff, I prefer the novelisation, which
was [I think] the first Doctor Who book I ever owned... a second
hand hard-back with illustrations and a ripped dust cover.
(Pre-Target).

Re: Google Gemini reviews Doctor Who The Web Planet

<v0195a$an6$6@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=113046&group=rec.arts.drwho#113046

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 20:39:06 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 20:39 UTC

In article <xn0okt18dc9bn7l000@news.eternal-september.org>,
Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
>The Doctor wrote:
>
>> "The Web Planet" is a serial from Doctor Who's classic era,
>> originally airing in 1964 as part of the First Doctor's
>> tenure. It holds a somewhat mixed reputation, so here's a
>> breakdown to help you decide if you'd like to watch it:
>
>At a guess, I'd say most of the people here have already decided
>to watch "The Web Planet" or to not watch it...it is sixty years
>old after all.
>
>It is on the BBC iPlayer for anyone who hasn't seen it though.
>;-)
>
>Why not tell us what YOU think about it? We can go from there.
>
>> Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to watch "The Web
>> Planet" depends on your personal preferences
>> and your tolerance for slow pacing, low-budget effects
>
>Like a lot of the early stuff, I prefer the novelisation, which
>was [I think] the first Doctor Who book I ever owned... a second
>hand hard-back with illustrations and a ripped dust cover.
>(Pre-Target).

And this is why you ignore both ChtGPT and Gemini
for your own discernment.
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: Google Gemini reviews Doctor Who The Web Planet

<xn0okt4t3ce2f7a001@post.eweka.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=113049&group=rec.arts.drwho#113049

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 22:12:46 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 21:12 UTC

The Doctor wrote:

> In article <xn0okt18dc9bn7l000@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
> > The Doctor wrote:
> >
> >> "The Web Planet" is a serial from Doctor Who's classic era,
> >> originally airing in 1964 as part of the First Doctor's
> >> tenure. It holds a somewhat mixed reputation, so here's a
> >> breakdown to help you decide if you'd like to watch it:
> >
> > [Snip]
> >
> > Why not tell us what YOU think about it? We can go from
> > there.
>
> And this is why you ignore both ChtGPT and Gemini
> for your own discernment.

AI generated chat has no place here apart to serve as a
substitute for your inability to discuss Doctor Who.

Tell us what YOU think of those episodes... if I wanted to know
what AI bots thought of them, or anything in fact, I could ask
them myself.

Re: Google Gemini reviews Doctor Who The Web Planet

<v01jmv$2et4$2@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=113052&group=rec.arts.drwho#113052

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 23:39:12 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 23:39 UTC

In article <xn0okt4t3ce2f7a001@post.eweka.nl>,
Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
>The Doctor wrote:
>
>> In article <xn0okt18dc9bn7l000@news.eternal-september.org>,
>> Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:

>> > [Snip]
>> >
>> > Why not tell us what YOU think about it? We can go from
>> > there.
>>
>> And this is why you ignore both ChtGPT and Gemini
>> for your own discernment.
>
>AI generated chat has no place here apart to serve as a
>substitute for your inability to discuss Doctor Who.
>
>Tell us what YOU think of those episodes... if I wanted to know
>what AI bots thought of them, or anything in fact, I could ask
>them myself.

Once you find the incongruities, we can go full force.
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: Google Gemini reviews Doctor Who The Web Planet

<xn0oktlpycjylo3001@post.eweka.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=113055&group=rec.arts.drwho#113055

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 00:57:45 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 23:57 UTC

The Doctor wrote:

> In article <xn0okt4t3ce2f7a001@post.eweka.nl>,
> Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
> > The Doctor wrote:

> >> And this is why you ignore both ChtGPT and Gemini
> >> for your own discernment.
> >
> > AI generated chat has no place here apart to serve as a
> > substitute for your inability to discuss Doctor Who.
> >
> > Tell us what YOU think of those episodes... if I wanted to
> > know what AI bots thought of them, or anything in fact, I
> > would ask them myself.
>
> Once you find the incongruities, we can go full force.

So, what did you think of "The Web Planet" then Dave? Did you
watch the VHS? Or read the novelisation (Doctor Who and the
Zarbi)? What was your favourite part of the story? Did you have
a crush on Vicki?

Surely as a Doctor Who fan you have some sort of an opinion?

Re: Google Gemini reviews Doctor Who The Web Planet

<v01rnb$18o9$2@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=113061&group=rec.arts.drwho#113061

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 01:55:56 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 01:55 UTC

In article <xn0oktlpycjylo3001@post.eweka.nl>,
Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
>The Doctor wrote:
>
>> In article <xn0okt4t3ce2f7a001@post.eweka.nl>,
>> Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:

>> > AI generated chat has no place here apart to serve as a
>> > substitute for your inability to discuss Doctor Who.
>> >
>> > Tell us what YOU think of those episodes... if I wanted to
>> > know what AI bots thought of them, or anything in fact, I
>> > would ask them myself.
>>
>> Once you find the incongruities, we can go full force.
>
>So, what did you think of "The Web Planet" then Dave? Did you
>watch the VHS? Or read the novelisation (Doctor Who and the
>Zarbi)? What was your favourite part of the story? Did you have
>a crush on Vicki?
>
>Surely as a Doctor Who fan you have some sort of an opinion?

I actually rate The Web Planet 8/10 .

Not, the Anibus was never mentioned in any AI reviews.