You can do very well in speculation where land or anything to do with dirt is concerned.

arts / rec.music.classical.guitar / Re: guitar support

SubjectAuthor
* guitar supportBernie Cosell
+* Re: guitar supportPaul Carmichael
|+* Re: guitar supportKen Blake
||`* Re: guitar supportPaul Carmichael
|| `* Re: guitar supportKen Blake
||  `* Re: guitar supportSteven Bornfeld
||   +* Re: guitar supportKen Blake
||   |`* Re: guitar supportSteven Bornfeld
||   | `* Re: guitar supportKen Blake
||   |  `- Re: guitar supportSteven Bornfeld
||   `* Re: guitar supportdsi1
||    `* Re: guitar supportSteven Bornfeld
||     +- Re: guitar supportKen Blake
||     `* Re: guitar supportdsi1
||      +* Re: guitar supportKen Blake
||      |`* Re: guitar supportdsi1
||      | `- Re: guitar supportKen Blake
||      `* Re: guitar supportSteven Bornfeld
||       `* Re: guitar supportdsi1
||        `* Re: guitar supportSteven Bornfeld
||         `- Re: guitar supportdsi1
|`* Re: guitar supportBernie Cosell
| +* Re: guitar supportJohn
| |`- Re: guitar supportJohn
| `- Re: guitar supportSteven Bornfeld
+* Re: guitar supportKen Dunlap
|`* Re: guitar supportgtr
| `- Re: guitar supportKen Dunlap
+- Re: guitar supportTed Haskell
`* Re: guitar supportTobiah
 `* Re: guitar supportKen Blake
  `* Re: guitar supportBernie Cosell
   `* Re: guitar supportKen Blake
    +- Re: guitar supportKen Blake
    `* Re: guitar supportBernie Cosell
     `- Re: guitar supportKen Blake

Pages:12
Re: guitar support

<6dcf7521-4412-414e-bbdd-d59fd5d3a3b2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1187&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1187

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 01:19:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: guitar support
From: dsi100@yahoo.com (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 08:19 UTC

On Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 6:48:07 AM UTC-10, Steven Bornfeld wrote:

> My limited experience is that nerves do what they do, and it's hard to
> predict. My surgeon said after my prostatectomy that he'd been able to
> spare the nerve on one side, and part of the nerve on the other side.
> Would that preserve my potency? No promises were made. Maybe that's
> why my member lists a little to the left.

Well, that sounds pretty hairy. I don't usually talk about such things but your frankness has emboldened me. You're a doctor as well and heck, nobody reads rmcg anyway. I did have a problem with my member a couple of years ago. I noticed that it was pointing towards the left. Boy that was weird. I have no sexplanation for why that would be but it was alarming. These days my penis has straightened out its act and is completely normal. Well, except for it being on the small side - we don't talk about that. My guess is that my penis was trying to tell me that it didn't like my political bent and was steering me in the right direction. As it goes, if it starts pointing to the right - I'm voting for Trump. Sorry, but I really don't feel I have any choice in the matter.

Re: guitar support

<mnc8kh9ib9odalsn78vqgstdktog1n0gcn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1188&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1188

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 07:58:08 -0700
References: <pan$381d0$53d0d250$8bf84c0c$4390cd86@gmail.com> <29mehhp5qdh9r192mgs840a4snbh1n57vb@4ax.com> <pan$e8966$c49f0984$19b291b2$32dc04a2@gmail.com> <aooehhh6pqg8m5jbtm8f8t7140n68rppdj@4ax.com> <tffmqu$9vb$1@gioia.aioe.org> <b21819ae-5548-4965-9bd8-7d6ad08424f5n@googlegroups.com> <th26nf$4ql$1@gioia.aioe.org> <4c1c3c0f-731d-4b32-a839-ae60e985efb7n@googlegroups.com> <bakgjh5g2ce6rt2gjvfqb509e4nimsfrov@4ax.com> <308872b8-4c7e-431f-b3aa-d85b1e09f35fn@googlegroups.com>
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 14:58 UTC

On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 01:00:44 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi100@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 4:45:39 AM UTC-10, Ken Blake wrote:
>> Many kinds of surgery are done with the *hope*, not certainty, that
>> they will fix a problem. My wife has been suffering from several
>> issues, most notably cognition and memory problem. With the thought
>> that the problems might be caused by Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus,
>> she had surgery a couple of months ago to insert a shunt into her
>> brain to drain the ventricles.
>>
>> Alas, it didn't help. She probably has Alzheimer's disease, but there
>> us no way to be sure except by doing an autopsy.
>
>My wife has been having trouble using words for the last couple of years. I've noticed a somewhat aggressive manner when she drives that wasn't there before. Hopefully, I'm just paranoid. OTOH, the future is uncertain and no one knows how much time we have left. Gather ye memories while ye may... is what I say. Best wishes to you and your wife.

Thanks very much.

Re: guitar support

<ti4hug$104h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1189&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1189

From: dentaltwin@earthlink.net (Steven Bornfeld)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 15:59:12 -0400
<aooehhh6pqg8m5jbtm8f8t7140n68rppdj@4ax.com> <tffmqu$9vb$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<b21819ae-5548-4965-9bd8-7d6ad08424f5n@googlegroups.com>
<th26nf$4ql$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<4c1c3c0f-731d-4b32-a839-ae60e985efb7n@googlegroups.com>
<thcfbu$t2g$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<6dcf7521-4412-414e-bbdd-d59fd5d3a3b2n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Steven Bornfeld - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 19:59 UTC

On 10/10/2022 4:19 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 6:48:07 AM UTC-10, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
>>>
>> My limited experience is that nerves do what they do, and it's hard to
>> predict. My surgeon said after my prostatectomy that he'd been able to
>> spare the nerve on one side, and part of the nerve on the other side.
>> Would that preserve my potency? No promises were made. Maybe that's
>> why my member lists a little to the left.
>
> Well, that sounds pretty hairy. I don't usually talk about such things but your frankness has emboldened me. You're a doctor as well and heck, nobody reads rmcg anyway. I did have a problem with my member a couple of years ago. I noticed that it was pointing towards the left. Boy that was weird. I have no sexplanation for why that would be but it was alarming. These days my penis has straightened out its act and is completely normal. Well, except for it being on the small side - we don't talk about that. My guess is that my penis was trying to tell me that it didn't like my political bent and was steering me in the right direction. As it goes, if it starts pointing to the right - I'm voting for Trump. Sorry, but I really don't feel I have any choice in the matter.

Well, now that they're advertising drugs for Peyronie's disease, I've
started avoiding carrots, esp. if they curve to the right.

Re: guitar support

<98197ad1-483a-4a51-b7d8-a44c5c12fb9en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1190&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1190

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 14:34:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi100@yahoo.com (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 21:34 UTC

On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 9:59:17 AM UTC-10, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
> On 10/10/2022 4:19 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 6:48:07 AM UTC-10, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
> >>>
> >> My limited experience is that nerves do what they do, and it's hard to
> >> predict. My surgeon said after my prostatectomy that he'd been able to
> >> spare the nerve on one side, and part of the nerve on the other side.
> >> Would that preserve my potency? No promises were made. Maybe that's
> >> why my member lists a little to the left.
> >
> > Well, that sounds pretty hairy. I don't usually talk about such things but your frankness has emboldened me. You're a doctor as well and heck, nobody reads rmcg anyway. I did have a problem with my member a couple of years ago. I noticed that it was pointing towards the left. Boy that was weird. I have no sexplanation for why that would be but it was alarming. These days my penis has straightened out its act and is completely normal. Well, except for it being on the small side - we don't talk about that. My guess is that my penis was trying to tell me that it didn't like my political bent and was steering me in the right direction. As it goes, if it starts pointing to the right - I'm voting for Trump. Sorry, but I really don't feel I have any choice in the matter.
> Well, now that they're advertising drugs for Peyronie's disease, I've
> started avoiding carrots, esp. if they curve to the right.

That's interesting! I'll have to check my carrots to see which way they're curved. OTOH, I'll just avoid carrots altogether or, at least, eat only straight carrots. I knew I could depend on you for the latest medical advice. Mahalo!

Re: guitar support

<tjrbc4$10vl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1192&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1192

From: toby@tobiah.org (Tobiah)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 07:44:19 -0700
 by: Tobiah - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 14:44 UTC

On 9/6/22 05:35, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> I need to replace my footstool with a guitar support. I know nothing
> about them [in fact, until I looked them up on stringsbymail I didn't even
> know they were called "guitar supports" and there are a zillion different
> [but mostly similar] types of them].
>
> I was looking at this one:
>
> https://www.stringsbymail.com/de-oro-classica-guitar-support-martini-frame-brass-brown-24040.html
>
> is it a reasonable choice? They seem to range in price from ~$25 to more
> than $100. and there are various different layouts. Any advice? Thanks!!
>
> /Bernie\

I have one of the ones (maybe it's a sageworks, I forget) that attaches
to the guitar with magnets. Never looking back. One thing that's great
is if you need to put your guitar in a case, you just pull off the support,
and when you're ready to play it just sticks back on with no fuss.

Installation was easier than I thought, and the adhesive strips on the inside
can be removed cleanly if you ever need to.

I'd also never consider going back to a foot stool.

Tobiah

Re: guitar support

<i1d2mhh6tfk1fd7hanhe5hl9kpif70qp72@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1193&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1193

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 08:25:55 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 15:25 UTC

On 9/6/22 05:35, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> I need to replace my footstool with a guitar support. I know nothing
> about them [in fact, until I looked them up on stringsbymail I didn't even
> know they were called "guitar supports" and there are a zillion different
> [but mostly similar] types of them].
>
> I was looking at this one:
>
> https://www.stringsbymail.com/de-oro-classica-guitar-support-martini-frame-brass-brown-24040.html
>
> is it a reasonable choice? They seem to range in price from ~$25 to more
> than $100. and there are various different layouts. Any advice? Thanks!!

Did you buy that one? What do you think of it?

Or if you bought a different one, what did you choose and how do you
like it?

I've been think of buying a support, but perhaps for a different
reason. I use a footstool and have a tendency to let the bottom edge
of the guitar slip forward, so that the guitar top is at an angle
rather than being vertical.

The result of the guitar's being at an angle like that is that my
thumb slides round the neck and protrudes, and the result of that is
that my fingers tend to mute the treble strings.

So let me ask you, and anyone else here, whether my thought of using a
support rather than a food rest is a good idea and would help keep the
guitar more upright in the proper position.

Re: guitar support

<msq4mhd8c9kj2lp92hs6el3ig759mmcc5v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1194&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1194

From: bernie@fantasyfarm.com (Bernie Cosell)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 09:13:52 -0400
 by: Bernie Cosell - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 13:13 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

} On 9/6/22 05:35, Bernie Cosell wrote:
} > I need to replace my footstool with a guitar support. I know nothing
} > about them [in fact, until I looked them up on stringsbymail I didn't even
} > know they were called "guitar supports" and there are a zillion different
} > [but mostly similar] types of them].
} >
} > I was looking at this one:
} >
} > https://www.stringsbymail.com/de-oro-classica-guitar-support-martini-frame-brass-brown-24040.html
} >
} > is it a reasonable choice? They seem to range in price from ~$25 to more
} > than $100. and there are various different layouts. Any advice? Thanks!!
}
} Did you buy that one? What do you think of it?

Yes I did, and I love it. I'll never go back to using a !%$#@$% foot
stool.

} Or if you bought a different one, what did you choose and how do you
} like it?

I also bought an ergoplay and I didn't like it [it was the less-expensive
one] - i couldn't get to hold my guitar at the proper angle and so my left
hand was all messed up. My guitar instructor likes the more expensive one
and I might try it, but I'm not all that impelled to try it, since I like
the martini one.

} So let me ask you, and anyone else here, whether my thought of using a
} support rather than a food rest is a good idea and would help keep the
} guitar more upright in the proper position.

I think they do. Since they are *holding* the guitar, rather than its just
being in a particular place at a particular angle, I'd expect that they'd
help hold your guitar upright.

/Bernie\
--
Bernie Cosell Fantasy Farm Fibers
bernie@fantasyfarm.com Pearisburg, VA

Re: guitar support

<c245mhlvv93q188e08d36qg5onciigiinn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1195&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1195

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 08:45:12 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 15:45 UTC

On Wed, 02 Nov 2022 09:13:52 -0400, Bernie Cosell
<bernie@fantasyfarm.com> wrote:

>Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>
>} On 9/6/22 05:35, Bernie Cosell wrote:
>} > I need to replace my footstool with a guitar support. I know nothing
>} > about them [in fact, until I looked them up on stringsbymail I didn't even
>} > know they were called "guitar supports" and there are a zillion different
>} > [but mostly similar] types of them].
>} >
>} > I was looking at this one:
>} >
>} > https://www.stringsbymail.com/de-oro-classica-guitar-support-martini-frame-brass-brown-24040.html
>} >
>} > is it a reasonable choice? They seem to range in price from ~$25 to more
>} > than $100. and there are various different layouts. Any advice? Thanks!!
>}
>} Did you buy that one? What do you think of it?
>
>Yes I did, and I love it. I'll never go back to using a !%$#@$% foot
>stool.
>
>} Or if you bought a different one, what did you choose and how do you
>} like it?
>
>I also bought an ergoplay and I didn't like it [it was the less-expensive
>one] - i couldn't get to hold my guitar at the proper angle and so my left
>hand was all messed up. My guitar instructor likes the more expensive one
>and I might try it, but I'm not all that impelled to try it, since I like
>the martini one.
>
>} So let me ask you, and anyone else here, whether my thought of using a
>} support rather than a food rest is a good idea and would help keep the
>} guitar more upright in the proper position.
>
>I think they do. Since they are *holding* the guitar, rather than its just
>being in a particular place at a particular angle, I'd expect that they'd
>help hold your guitar upright.

Thanks very much. Based on your recommendation, I just ordered one. Do
you know about how long it will take for it to arrive?

Re: guitar support

<mh65mh5afsis5cac482lg0umuhm6i990de@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1196&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1196

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 09:27:55 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 16:27 UTC

On Wed, 02 Nov 2022 08:45:12 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Nov 2022 09:13:52 -0400, Bernie Cosell
><bernie@fantasyfarm.com> wrote:
>
>>Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>>
>>} On 9/6/22 05:35, Bernie Cosell wrote:
>>} > I need to replace my footstool with a guitar support. I know nothing
>>} > about them [in fact, until I looked them up on stringsbymail I didn't even
>>} > know they were called "guitar supports" and there are a zillion different
>>} > [but mostly similar] types of them].
>>} >
>>} > I was looking at this one:
>>} >
>>} > https://www.stringsbymail.com/de-oro-classica-guitar-support-martini-frame-brass-brown-24040.html
>>} >
>>} > is it a reasonable choice? They seem to range in price from ~$25 to more
>>} > than $100. and there are various different layouts. Any advice? Thanks!!
>>}
>>} Did you buy that one? What do you think of it?
>>
>>Yes I did, and I love it. I'll never go back to using a !%$#@$% foot
>>stool.
>>
>>} Or if you bought a different one, what did you choose and how do you
>>} like it?
>>
>>I also bought an ergoplay and I didn't like it [it was the less-expensive
>>one] - i couldn't get to hold my guitar at the proper angle and so my left
>>hand was all messed up. My guitar instructor likes the more expensive one
>>and I might try it, but I'm not all that impelled to try it, since I like
>>the martini one.
>>
>>} So let me ask you, and anyone else here, whether my thought of using a
>>} support rather than a food rest is a good idea and would help keep the
>>} guitar more upright in the proper position.
>>
>>I think they do. Since they are *holding* the guitar, rather than its just
>>being in a particular place at a particular angle, I'd expect that they'd
>>help hold your guitar upright.
>

>Thanks very much. Based on your recommendation, I just ordered one. Do
>you know about how long it will take for it to arrive?

Ignore that question. I just got an e-mail from them that said 2-5
days.

Re: guitar support

<9d6bmhh091kfbgmb3j1ll0go75m5vvkq33@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1197&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1197

From: bernie@fantasyfarm.com (Bernie Cosell)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 19:01:50 -0400
 by: Bernie Cosell - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 23:01 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

}
} Thanks very much. Based on your recommendation, I just ordered one. Do
} you know about how long it will take for it to arrive?

If you ordered the Martini from StringsbyMail, you'll have it less than a
week! SbM is very very good at promptly shipping stuff out....

/Bernie\
--
Bernie Cosell Fantasy Farm Fibers
bernie@fantasyfarm.com Pearisburg, VA
--> Too many people, too few sheep <--

Re: guitar support

<3srcmhlgl2a1vjm3phte2c6bhej5ghkfpv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1198&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1198

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 07:14:10 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 14:14 UTC

On Fri, 04 Nov 2022 19:01:50 -0400, Bernie Cosell
<bernie@fantasyfarm.com> wrote:

>Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>
>}
>} Thanks very much. Based on your recommendation, I just ordered one. Do
>} you know about how long it will take for it to arrive?
>
>If you ordered the Martini from StringsbyMail, you'll have it less than a
>week! SbM is very very good at promptly shipping stuff out...

Thanks. It arrived yesterday. I'll be trying it soon.