To the landlord belongs the doorknobs.

arts / alt.tv.survivor / Yam Yam meets AOC

SubjectAuthor
* Yam Yam meets AOCBrian Smith
`* Yam Yam meets AOCRick
 +* Yam Yam meets AOCBrian Smith
 |`* Yam Yam meets AOCRick
 | `- Yam Yam meets AOCThe Horny Goat
 `- Yam Yam meets AOCThe Horny Goat

1
Yam Yam meets AOC

<bf0e8fc5-d192-4e35-b75a-5699ebd76c60n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1288&group=alt.tv.survivor#1288

Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 23:09:19 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Yam Yam meets AOC
From: dcg_brian@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
 by: Brian Smith - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 07:09 UTC

AOC's a Survivor fan? If they ever do a celebrity version she would be perfect as people would either love her or hate her.

https://twitter.com/itsyamilpr/status/1742613929598095673

--
Brian

Re: Yam Yam meets AOC

<un6jhh$3mt3g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1289&group=alt.tv.survivor#1289

From: rick@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Subject: Re: Yam Yam meets AOC
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 10:40:33 -0500
 by: Rick - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 15:40 UTC

"Brian Smith" wrote in message

>AOC's a Survivor fan? If they ever do a celebrity version she would be
>perfect as people would either love her or hate her.
>
>https://twitter.com/itsyamilpr/status/1742613929598095673
>
>--
>Brian

Given what I recall about Yam Yam, it makes complete sense that he and AOC
would be mutual fans. They seem to have compatible world views.

I doubt if AOC could get away for as long as would be needed to do a
Survivor season. She'd be subject to enormous criticism and would look
especially bad if she missed a major vote on some national emergency while
she was gone. I also doubt the show would alienate is very large older
audience members by including such a well-known politically polarizing
figure. The show has had celebrities in its cast before, people like Jimmy
Johnson, Lisa Whelchel, numerous ex-NFL and ex-NBA players, and even local
celebs like Keith Famie from Survivor 2 and Tammy Leitner from Survivor 4,
but I don't recall they ever actually had a sitting politician, especially
one as visible as AOC.

Jeff has been asked about doing a Celebrity Survivor from time to time, and
has never been crazy about the idea. I think a major problem is that most
people play Survivor hoping to win money or, at minimum, some degree of
national attention, and celebs already have that. Survivor is also a very
difficult game, and I think there is a legitimate fear that many celebs
accustomerd to a more pampered existence would just give up and quit the
game early, which would be a bad look for the show. I think the only way
they might do it is to have a much shorter season (and they've already cut
down the season length by a third), but at that point you'd essentially have
I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, and I doubt the show wants to be
compared to that.

--

Re: Yam Yam meets AOC

<973b9f2a-d970-456f-b6a8-1751621fcdffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1290&group=alt.tv.survivor#1290

Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 15:29:25 -0800 (PST)
From: dcg_brian@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
 by: Brian Smith - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 23:29 UTC

On Thursday, January 4, 2024 at 8:40:36 AM UTC-7, Rick wrote:
> "Brian Smith" wrote in message
> >
> >AOC's a Survivor fan? If they ever do a celebrity version she would be
> >perfect as people would either love her or hate her.
> >
> >https://twitter.com/itsyamilpr/status/1742613929598095673
> >
> >--
> >Brian
> Given what I recall about Yam Yam, it makes complete sense that he and AOC
> would be mutual fans. They seem to have compatible world views.
>
> I doubt if AOC could get away for as long as would be needed to do a
> Survivor season. She'd be subject to enormous criticism and would look
> especially bad if she missed a major vote on some national emergency while
> she was gone. I also doubt the show would alienate is very large older
> audience members by including such a well-known politically polarizing
> figure. The show has had celebrities in its cast before, people like Jimmy
> Johnson, Lisa Whelchel, numerous ex-NFL and ex-NBA players, and even local
> celebs like Keith Famie from Survivor 2 and Tammy Leitner from Survivor 4,
> but I don't recall they ever actually had a sitting politician, especially
> one as visible as AOC.
>
> Jeff has been asked about doing a Celebrity Survivor from time to time, and
> has never been crazy about the idea. I think a major problem is that most
> people play Survivor hoping to win money or, at minimum, some degree of
> national attention, and celebs already have that. Survivor is also a very
> difficult game, and I think there is a legitimate fear that many celebs
> accustomerd to a more pampered existence would just give up and quit the
> game early, which would be a bad look for the show. I think the only way
> they might do it is to have a much shorter season (and they've already cut
> down the season length by a third), but at that point you'd essentially have
> I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, and I doubt the show wants to be
> compared to that.
>
> --

Your recall is a lot better than mine when it comes to Yam Yam's political views.

They could do what BB does for its celebrity seasons which is make the season a lot shorter, smaller cast size, no sequestering of the jury, and cast people who are either trying to reboot their career or want to make a quick buck. Some of them are legit fans of the show and come to play. The season still lasts close to a month, but the winner gets $250K and there is a fan vote to award $25K to America's Favorite Houseguest. They also get nice appearance fees. I don't think Survivor would have a hard time attracting celebs who are willing and capable of doing the same challenges as regular players. To cut costs, the show would have to be done in the U.S. No reason it couldn't be done in the L.A. area. If it has to be international to make it more legit, they could go to Mexico.

As for AOC doing Survivor, I'm looking at the House calendar for 2023 and I don't see any consecutive days off long enough to do even a short season of a few weeks. Like you said, it would be too risky for her to do in case she missed a key vote.

--
Brian

Re: Yam Yam meets AOC

<un7j60$3rbig$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1291&group=alt.tv.survivor#1291

From: rick@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 19:40:33 -0500
 by: Rick - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 00:40 UTC

> [...]
>views.
>
>They could do what BB does for its celebrity seasons which is make the
>season a lot shorter, smaller cast size, no sequestering of the jury, and
>cast people who are either trying to reboot their career or want to make a
>quick buck. Some of them are legit fans of the show and come to play. The
>season still lasts close to a month, but the winner gets $250K and there is
>a fan vote to award $25K to America's Favorite Houseguest. They also get
>nice appearance fees. I don't think Survivor would have a hard time
>attracting celebs who are willing and capable of doing the same challenges
>as regular players. To cut costs, the show would have to be done in the
>U.S. No reason it couldn't be done in the L.A. area. If it has to be
>international to make it more legit, they could go to Mexico.

But it would still attract comparisons to I'm a Celebrity Get me Out of
Here, which is invariably and somewhat universally mocked by long-time
Survivor fans. I think any attempt to distill the core essence of the
show, which is survival in the wilderness with a group of strangers, will
result in a really bad look for the show. The thing about Survivor is that
it still gets really good ratings, so I don't think it needs this as a
gimmick (BB has never gotten Survivor's ratings and it's audience is more
specialized), but more importantly, I don't think Jeff or the network would
have any interest in this.

--

Re: Yam Yam meets AOC

<4jqgpi53l6jgoetm8vvcenqpmut8rckit9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1292&group=alt.tv.survivor#1292

From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 12:45:51 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 20:45 UTC

On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 10:40:33 -0500, "Rick" <rick@nospam.com> wrote:

>Jeff has been asked about doing a Celebrity Survivor from time to time, and
>has never been crazy about the idea. I think a major problem is that most
>people play Survivor hoping to win money or, at minimum, some degree of
>national attention, and celebs already have that. Survivor is also a very
>difficult game, and I think there is a legitimate fear that many celebs
>accustomerd to a more pampered existence would just give up and quit the
>game early, which would be a bad look for the show. I think the only way
>they might do it is to have a much shorter season (and they've already cut
>down the season length by a third), but at that point you'd essentially have
>I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, and I doubt the show wants to be
>compared to that.

I agree with you though I prefer the original format to 26-27 days.

Re: Yam Yam meets AOC

<8lqgpilrsr5gbf5o1n7osi9iui7l6um1ur@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1293&group=alt.tv.survivor#1293

From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 12:47:13 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 20:47 UTC

On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 19:40:33 -0500, "Rick" <rick@nospam.com> wrote:

>But it would still attract comparisons to I'm a Celebrity Get me Out of
>Here, which is invariably and somewhat universally mocked by long-time
>Survivor fans. I think any attempt to distill the core essence of the
>show, which is survival in the wilderness with a group of strangers, will
>result in a really bad look for the show. The thing about Survivor is that
>it still gets really good ratings, so I don't think it needs this as a
>gimmick (BB has never gotten Survivor's ratings and it's audience is more
>specialized), but more importantly, I don't think Jeff or the network would
>have any interest in this.

I would think the primary comparison which has been done both in the
US and UK (which I thought was the better of the two)