From: dcg_brian@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Subject: Jeff Probst Calls ‘Survivor 46’ “One
_of_the_Most_Vicious_Seasons_Ever”
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 01:01:00 -0700
 by: Brian Smith - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 08:01 UTC

Jeff Probst Calls ‘Survivor 46’ “One of the Most Vicious Seasons Ever”

The host and executive producer says the upcoming season is the first in
the “new era” where “the players have started to take control.”

*
Mike Bloom <https://parade.com/author/mikebloom>
*
18 hours ago

In the lead-up to the February
<https://parade.com/living/february-holidays-observances> 28 premiere of
/Survivor <https://parade.com/tv/survivor-season-46> 46/, *Jeff
Probst* has previewed the cast of 18 new castaways in a humorous light.
"There are some very big personalities on all three tribes, and an
overall great sense of humor across the board," he earlier told
/Parade/. But, in a new interview with "Rob Has a Podcast,"
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsMruj9zGJQ> the host and executive
producer revealed the upcoming season will not be all laughs.

"You're gonna see in /Survivor 46/ one of the most vicious seasons
ever," Probst says. "I'm telling you. The gameplay is great. When 46 is
over, you will feel that."

It's an enticing yet menacing tease from the Emmy winner. After all, as
Probst himself admits, "vicious" is not necessarily a word associated
with the "new era" of the show. After the pandemic shut down production
on the show following the epic 20th anniversary
<https://parade.com/1219463/marynliles/happy-anniversary-wishes/>
/Winners at War/ season, Probst and the /Survivor/ team decided to take
a refreshed look at the show. And, reflecting on a world that seemed
more tinged than ever with uncertainty, unrest, and negativity, they
responded with positivity.
**

The result: An era of /Survivor/ that showcases more than ever the
three-dimensional people living out on the island, fighting and
scrapping every minute for the million-dollar prize. Significant airtime
is dedicated to the personal lives of the castaways that brought them to
the island and the emotional journey they take, from hitting the sand to
getting their torch snuffed. While this focus has earned praise from
fans--notably in conjunction with the diversity initiative brought in
for all CBS unscripted shows--it has also received pushback from some
who feel the show has lost a "bite" that came before the pandemic.

/Survivor/ has certainly oriented itself more towards what makes a
player and the transformative experience of the 26-day adventure of a
lifetime, to the point where Probst has also said he's not interested in
creating typical "villain edits" anymore
<https://parade.com/tv/jeff-probst-survivor-villains-new-era>. But that
certainly doesn't mean the "new era" has been completely drama-free.
We've seen fierce rivalries develop from the start. Blindsides like
*Jesse Lopez's
<https://parade.com/tv/jesse-lopez-survivor-43-interview>* betrayal of
his closest ally, *Cody Assenmacher
<https://parade.com/tv/cody-assenmacher-survivor-43-interview>*, are
seen as some of the most brutal moves in the show's history. Last season
even saw arguably the most "villainous" edit of the new era, with
two-time player *Bruce Perreault
<https://parade.com/tv/bruce-perreault-survivor-45-eliminated-interview>* being
shown as rude and aloof to his fellow castaways.

One thing was clear from my time out in Fiji, where I got to interview
the cast of /Survivor 46/ prior to the game starting, as well as witness
the first three days of gameplay: This cast is absolutely willing to put
their all into the /Survivor/ experience. Before going out to play, they
had just watched not only Jesse's blindside of Cody in season 43, but
also the Tika Three dominate the postmerge of season 44 to become one of
the most impressive alliances in recent memory. So manipulating from
behind the scenes and cutting allies seem to be at the top of minds of
these contestants as they enter perhaps the most important 26 days of
their lives. And that high intensity apparently spills into their
approach to the twists and turns as well.

"I think this might be the first season of the new era where the players
have started to take control," Probst previews. "And they're starting to
realize there are other ways to handle Beware Advantages. 'There are
things I could do with my Shot in the Dark.' From a philosophical
<https://parade.com/1185047/marynliles/philosophical-questions/> point
of view, they're starting to be less afraid of the game, and starting to
look at the game and figure out how to break it and use it to their
advantage. And I think you're gonna see some really great gameplay."

Probst credits that mentality to the atmosphere of uncertainty the game
created from the inception of the new era. Seasons 41 and 42 threw many
new advantages and twists into the game that overwhelmed fans and
players alike. But that was all part of production's plan to infuse the
show with a philosophy for its new players: When you don't know what's
guaranteed tomorrow, do what you can today. As a result, according to
Probst, that gives players the freedom to play and adapt quickly rather
than try to predict what's coming around the corner.

But while they're ruthlessly betraying each other and finding new ways
to use advantages, they'll still have plenty of time to showcase their,
as Probst calls them, "eclectic" personalities. "This group just has a
funny, funny sense of humor about it," he says. "And there's a lot of
music <https://parade.com/1239349/michelleparkerton/music-quotes/> this
season. Weirdly, either people who play music or sing. And so there's
kind of a loose musical thread, a lot of fun." And hopefully, by the end
of season 46, we'll be joining along in the chorus singing its praises.

Source: https://parade.com/tv/jeff-probst-survivor-46-preview

--
Brian