It is the business of the future to be dangerous. -- Hawkwind

arts / alt.tv.survivor / Re: Worst Survivor Story Arc Ever

SubjectAuthor
* Worst Survivor Story Arc EverZeppo
+- Re: Worst Survivor Story Arc EverBrian Smith
`* Re: Worst Survivor Story Arc EverRick
 `* Re: Worst Survivor Story Arc EverEmanuel Berg
  `* Re: Worst Survivor Story Arc EverRick
   `* Re: Worst Survivor Story Arc EverEmanuel Berg
    `* Re: Worst Survivor Story Arc EverRick
     `- Re: Worst Survivor Story Arc EverBrian Smith

1
Worst Survivor Story Arc Ever

<0001HW.2BACBD4C000CD28430E87538F@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1431&group=alt.tv.survivor#1431

From: reg@telus.invalid (Zeppo)
Subject: Worst Survivor Story Arc Ever
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 12:09:00 -0700
 by: Zeppo - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 19:09 UTC

Congratulations Bhanu! You at least succeeded at something. It could be
argued that there have been
worse players who have done stupider things. But, stretching Bhanu’s shtick
through four 90/120 minute
episodes is definitely beyond precedent. There were times when I found myself
wondering about the
amount of face time that this babyman was receiving from the editors. I
understood that, due to the fact
that Purple Tribe was always going to tribal council, the viewers needed to
be presented with information
that would explain the players' votes. But, IMO, even considering this
factor, there was way too much
“Bhanu time”. Hard as it may be to believe, the editors may not have had
much to work with from the
other two tribes either, so the default setting became Bhanu crying, Bhanu
praying, Bhanu pacing and
talking to the camera operator, Bhanu making an ass of himself in every
conceivable way possible.
It is of concern to me that, with the exception of Jemila’s play with the
“Beware Advantage” packaging
in E04, the only other lengthy scene that we have seen involving Green Tribe
was the exceedingly
boring music trivia game involving Ben and Charlie. In previous season’s,
Probst solved the stale
tribe dynamics problem by doing a shuffle. However, I don’t think he will
do that this season due to
the fact that Jemila is still waiting for her tribe to lose an IC so that she
can gain access to the clue
to the location of the key that will open her “Beware” advantage box. It
would be “dirty pool”, IMO,
to suspend the tribal portion of the game without her having had a fair
chance to complete the process.

Re: Worst Survivor Story Arc Ever

<uti48l$2dlha$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1432&group=alt.tv.survivor#1432

From: dcg_brian@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Subject: Re: Worst Survivor Story Arc Ever
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 14:10:59 -0600
 by: Brian Smith - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 20:10 UTC

On 3/21/2024 1:09 PM, Zeppo wrote:

> Congratulations Bhanu! You at least succeeded at something. It could be
> argued that there have been
> worse players who have done stupider things. But, stretching Bhanu’s shtick
> through four 90/120 minute
> episodes is definitely beyond precedent. There were times when I found myself
> wondering about the
> amount of face time that this babyman was receiving from the editors. I
> understood that, due to the fact
> that Purple Tribe was always going to tribal council, the viewers needed to
> be presented with information
> that would explain the players' votes. But, IMO, even considering this
> factor, there was way too much
> “Bhanu time”. Hard as it may be to believe, the editors may not have had
> much to work with from the
> other two tribes either, so the default setting became Bhanu crying, Bhanu
> praying, Bhanu pacing and
> talking to the camera operator, Bhanu making an ass of himself in every
> conceivable way possible.
> It is of concern to me that, with the exception of Jemila’s play with the
> “Beware Advantage” packaging
> in E04, the only other lengthy scene that we have seen involving Green Tribe
> was the exceedingly
> boring music trivia game involving Ben and Charlie. In previous season’s,
> Probst solved the stale
> tribe dynamics problem by doing a shuffle. However, I don’t think he will
> do that this season due to
> the fact that Jemila is still waiting for her tribe to lose an IC so that she
> can gain access to the clue
> to the location of the key that will open her “Beware” advantage box. It
> would be “dirty pool”, IMO,
> to suspend the tribal portion of the game without her having had a fair
> chance to complete the process.

The way things played out gamewise no doubt meant Bhanu would get a lot
of screentime but given the first two episodes were two hours long they
could have shown us other important footage. This bonus clip from
Episode 2 of Venus asking Tevin what is issue is with her should have
definitely made the episode.

https://youtu.be/fUBfn8J4CnY?si=NSrlJsZ_FfAR5wqT

We were shown more than enough footage to demonstrate how bad Bhanu is
at the game that they could have easily included some other footage. Or
did the producers think we would see Bhanu as a likeable character? His
being bad at the social aspect of the game isn't even an issue for me.
It's the fact that he claimed to be such a huge fan who watched every
season and still did unbelievably stupid things that made me very happy
when he left the game.

--
Brian

Re: Worst Survivor Story Arc Ever

<uti4p9$2doje$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1433&group=alt.tv.survivor#1433

From: rick@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 16:19:52 -0400
 by: Rick - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 20:19 UTC

"Zeppo" wrote in message

>Congratulations Bhanu! You at least succeeded at something. It could be
>argued that there have been
>worse players who have done stupider things. But, stretching Bhanu’s shtick
>through four 90/120 minute
>episodes is definitely beyond precedent. There were times when I found
>myself
>wondering about the
>amount of face time that this babyman was receiving from the editors. I
>understood that, due to the fact
>that Purple Tribe was always going to tribal council, the viewers needed to
>be presented with information
>that would explain the players' votes. But, IMO, even considering this
>factor, there was way too much
>“Bhanu time”. Hard as it may be to believe, the editors may not have had
>much to work with from the
>other two tribes either, so the default setting became Bhanu crying, Bhanu
>praying, Bhanu pacing and
>talking to the camera operator, Bhanu making an ass of himself in every
>conceivable way possible.
>It is of concern to me that, with the exception of Jemila’s play with the
>“Beware Advantage” packaging
>in E04, the only other lengthy scene that we have seen involving Green
>Tribe
>was the exceedingly
>boring music trivia game involving Ben and Charlie. In previous season’s,
>Probst solved the stale
>tribe dynamics problem by doing a shuffle. However, I don’t think he will
>do that this season due to
>the fact that Jemila is still waiting for her tribe to lose an IC so that
>she
>can gain access to the clue
>to the location of the key that will open her “Beware” advantage box. It
>would be “dirty pool”, IMO,
>to suspend the tribal portion of the game without her having had a fair
>chance to complete the process.

I agree with your completely, as your comments about Bhanu echo what I said
in a similar post below. I have no idea why they spent so much time on this
pathetic, cloying individual, except to repeat my comment that Jeff loves
emotional players, and this probably does foreshadow a Sia award at the end
of the season.

I also agree they are past the point where a tribal swap would normally
occur, though I doubt it's due to Jem's situation specifically. I think the
swaps are planned before the season starts. But as part of the planning,
they had to consider the possibility that one tribe could go to every tribal
council, and if hadn't been for the injury removal, purple tribe would be
down to only two players by now which wouldn't be enough for a challenge.
So I think next episode they will have do some kind of swap or combining of
tribes or maybe an early merge.

--

Re: Worst Survivor Story Arc Ever

<878r291627.fsf@dataswamp.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1457&group=alt.tv.survivor#1457

From: incal@dataswamp.org (Emanuel Berg)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 13:33:20 +0100
 by: Emanuel Berg - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 12:33 UTC

Rick wrote:

> I agree with your completely, as your comments about Bhanu
> echo what I said in a similar post below. I have no idea why
> they spent so much time on this pathetic, cloying individual

Indeed, a very immature and inexperienced person. Not likable
at all!

But he also walked in a weird way, so maybe something is wrong
with him for real. If so, yeah - because that doesn't help.

> except to repeat my comment that Jeff loves emotional
> players, and this probably does foreshadow a Sia award at
> the end of the season.

Jeff, do you read me?

Please just *ignore* the supposedly interesting and amazing
backstory aspect of castaways, such stories are irrelevant in
this context. Only choose people that are charismatic,
interesting, and likable _today_.

Because those are the guys we want to see and we want to see
them *play Survivor*, not discuss race or gender politics or
tell their life stories in a bunch of motivational slogans.

@#$%&!

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

Re: Worst Survivor Story Arc Ever

<utmq4g$3mnb7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1458&group=alt.tv.survivor#1458

From: rick@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 10:48:47 -0400
 by: Rick - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:48 UTC

"Emanuel Berg" wrote in message news:878r291627.fsf@dataswamp.org...

>Rick wrote:
>
>> I agree with your completely, as your comments about Bhanu
>> echo what I said in a similar post below. I have no idea why
>> they spent so much time on this pathetic, cloying individual
>
>Indeed, a very immature and inexperienced person. Not likable
>at all!
>
>But he also walked in a weird way, so maybe something is wrong
>with him for real. If so, yeah - because that doesn't help.
>
>> except to repeat my comment that Jeff loves emotional
>> players, and this probably does foreshadow a Sia award at
>> the end of the season.
>
>Jeff, do you read me?
>
>Please just *ignore* the supposedly interesting and amazing
>backstory aspect of castaways, such stories are irrelevant in
>this context. Only choose people that are charismatic,
>interesting, and likable _today_.
>
>Because those are the guys we want to see and we want to see
>them *play Survivor*, not discuss race or gender politics or
>tell their life stories in a bunch of motivational slogans.
>
>@#$%&!

Unfortunately, I think the problem is that Jeff does not run the show to
appeal to hard-core Survivor fans, but rather to a general audience which
includes a lot of what many of us derisively call "casuals". In Jeff's
mind, Bhanu has an emotional "story" that will appeal to the general
audience, even as it comes across as a turn-off to hardcore fans. Sadly
(for us) the proof is in the ratings, and I believe ratings this year have
been pretty decent, so expect more of the same.

We'll have to wait and see how the season unfolds, but unfortunately I
believe that much of the "new survivor" mythos is more time spent on
players' back stories and "emotional journeys" than on gameplay and
strategy. As the old saying goes, this isn't your father's Survivor any
more, except that in case, most of us are the fathers (and mothers)!

Bleh!

--

Re: Worst Survivor Story Arc Ever

<875xxd0w9d.fsf@dataswamp.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1459&group=alt.tv.survivor#1459

From: incal@dataswamp.org (Emanuel Berg)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 17:05:02 +0100
 by: Emanuel Berg - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 16:05 UTC

Rick wrote:

> Unfortunately, I think the problem is that Jeff does not run
> the show to appeal to hard-core Survivor fans, but rather to
> a general audience which includes a lot of what many of us
> derisively call "casuals". In Jeff's mind, Bhanu has an
> emotional "story" that will appeal to the general audience,
> even as it comes across as a turn-off to hardcore fans.
> Sadly (for us) the proof is in the ratings, and I believe
> ratings this year have been pretty decent, so expect more of
> the same.

Yeah, I understand, the purpose is to make money for the
studio. But it is still a great show. That "I get to tell my
story at tribal council" just annoyed the heck out of me.
It is not a place for that, but rather to fight until the end.
You only tell your story there if it is an attempted scheme to
sway people's votes :)

I'm not against "getting to know the players", on the contrary
that's a huge part of it. But the best way to do that is to
just show what they say and do, and how. Not every
conversation has to be about strategy. But that also let us
get to know them, by all means.

Now, with longer episodes, they should be able to show more
"unnecessary" little gems from how the players interact and
how they react to events.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

Re: Worst Survivor Story Arc Ever

<utn6k6$3proa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1460&group=alt.tv.survivor#1460

From: rick@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:21:57 -0400
 by: Rick - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 18:21 UTC

"Emanuel Berg" wrote in message news:875xxd0w9d.fsf@dataswamp.org...

>Rick wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, I think the problem is that Jeff does not run
>> the show to appeal to hard-core Survivor fans, but rather to
>> a general audience which includes a lot of what many of us
>> derisively call "casuals". In Jeff's mind, Bhanu has an
>> emotional "story" that will appeal to the general audience,
>> even as it comes across as a turn-off to hardcore fans.
>> Sadly (for us) the proof is in the ratings, and I believe
>> ratings this year have been pretty decent, so expect more of
>> the same.
>
>Yeah, I understand, the purpose is to make money for the
>studio. But it is still a great show. That "I get to tell my
>story at tribal council" just annoyed the heck out of me.
>It is not a place for that, but rather to fight until the end.
>You only tell your story there if it is an attempted scheme to
>sway people's votes :)
>
>I'm not against "getting to know the players", on the contrary
>that's a huge part of it. But the best way to do that is to
>just show what they say and do, and how. Not every
>conversation has to be about strategy. But that also let us
>get to know them, by all means.
>
>Now, with longer episodes, they should be able to show more
>"unnecessary" little gems from how the players interact and
>how they react to events.

If I'm not mistaken, S46 was not specifically planned for 90-minute
episodes. S45 was planned for the longer episodes, and they planned and
filmed accordingly with bigger budgets, more elaborate challenges and more
elaborate rewards. But when they filmed S46, they assumed the season would
revert to 60-minute episodes so much of what we are seeing now may truly be
filler material that would normally have been left on the cutting room
floor.

--

Re: Worst Survivor Story Arc Ever

<utnhc4$3senb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1461&group=alt.tv.survivor#1461

From: dcg_brian@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 15:25:19 -0600
 by: Brian Smith - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 21:25 UTC

On 3/23/2024 12:21 PM, Rick wrote:
> "Emanuel Berg"  wrote in message news:875xxd0w9d.fsf@dataswamp.org...
>>
>> Rick wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately, I think the problem is that Jeff does not run
>>> the show to appeal to hard-core Survivor fans, but rather to
>>> a general audience which includes a lot of what many of us
>>> derisively call "casuals". In Jeff's mind, Bhanu has an
>>> emotional "story" that will appeal to the general audience,
>>> even as it comes across as a turn-off to hardcore fans.
>>> Sadly (for us) the proof is in the ratings, and I believe
>>> ratings this year have been pretty decent, so expect more of
>>> the same.
>>
>> Yeah, I understand, the purpose is to make money for the
>> studio. But it is still a great show. That "I get to tell my
>> story at tribal council" just annoyed the heck out of me.
>> It is not a place for that, but rather to fight until the end.
>> You only tell your story there if it is an attempted scheme to
>> sway people's votes :)
>>
>> I'm not against "getting to know the players", on the contrary
>> that's a huge part of it. But the best way to do that is to
>> just show what they say and do, and how. Not every
>> conversation has to be about strategy. But that also let us
>> get to know them, by all means.
>>
>> Now, with longer episodes, they should be able to show more
>> "unnecessary" little gems from how the players interact and
>> how they react to events.
>>

> If I'm not mistaken, S46 was not specifically planned for 90-minute
> episodes.  S45 was planned for the longer episodes, and they planned and
> filmed accordingly with bigger budgets, more elaborate challenges and
> more elaborate rewards.   But when they filmed S46, they assumed the
> season would revert to 60-minute episodes so much of what we are seeing
> now may truly be filler material that would normally have been left on
> the cutting room floor.
>
> --

Jeff's all over the map on this matter. At one time, he said they
weren't told the episodes were going to 90 minutes long and shot as if
they were going to get just 60 minute episodes. Then in other interviews
he said they were confident they would get 90 minutes because of the
positive reaction to S45. So far, I'd say the second guessing as hurt
them. The first episode made great use of the two hours they were given
but the second episode dragged. Hopefully, with Bhanu's departure that
got the editors to focus more on game play.

--
Brian