From: dcg_brian@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Subject: The Lost Players of Survivor
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 01:48:10 -0600
 by: Brian Smith - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 07:48 UTC

This was a great watch. I knew about some of the cases but a lot of the
info in this video was new to me. The comments contain even more gold.

https://youtu.be/W1atArJFoRQ?si=4l94fj6dZr5pAWAN

--
Brian

Re: The Lost Players of Survivor

<uuescu$2ki4p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1499&group=alt.tv.survivor#1499

From: rick@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Subject: Re: The Lost Players of Survivor
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 13:54:37 -0400
 by: Rick - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 17:54 UTC

"Brian Smith" wrote in message news:uudos4$2c8vg$1@dont-email.me...

>This was a great watch. I knew about some of the cases but a lot of the
>info in this video was new to me. The comments contain even more gold.
>
>https://youtu.be/W1atArJFoRQ?si=4l94fj6dZr5pAWAN

When I first saw this post, my initial reaction was why would anyone care
about Survivor contestants to never make the show? But I found it weirdly
compelling and fun to watch. I also found most of this to be new
information.

One thing I wonder about is if the contestant Tina replaced ever came back
in a later season? It's weird we know nothing about her and she has never
spoken out about what happened. I wonder if CBS paid her some money to keep
quiet about it? They were dealing with the Stacey Spillman lawsuit around
that time, so I wonder if they maybe threw Maureen a few bucks to keep her
from also filing a suit. It might explain why she has never spoken about
this.

--

Re: The Lost Players of Survivor

<uueuep$2l1in$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1500&group=alt.tv.survivor#1500

From: dcg_brian@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 12:29:35 -0600
 by: Brian Smith - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 18:29 UTC

On 4/1/2024 11:54 AM, Rick wrote:
> "Brian Smith"  wrote in message news:uudos4$2c8vg$1@dont-email.me...
>>
>> This was a great watch. I knew about some of the cases but a lot of
>> the info in this video was new to me. The comments contain even more
>> gold.
>>
>> https://youtu.be/W1atArJFoRQ?si=4l94fj6dZr5pAWAN
>>

> When I first saw this post, my initial reaction was why would anyone
> care about Survivor contestants to never make the show?  But I found it
> weirdly compelling and fun to watch.   I also found most of this to be
> new information.
>
> One thing I wonder about is if the contestant Tina replaced ever came
> back in a later season?  It's weird we know nothing about her and she
> has never spoken out about what happened.  I wonder if CBS paid her some
> money to keep quiet about it?  They were dealing with the Stacey
> Spillman lawsuit around that time, so I wonder if they maybe threw
> Maureen a few bucks to keep her from also filing a suit.   It might
> explain why she has never spoken about this.
>
> --

Some of that S2 story was new to me unless I've forgotten the details. I
don't recall reading about the cast having to take skydiving lessons.
I'm surprised MB wanted to take such a huge risk but not surprised at
all that CBS lawyers killed the idea. That would have been the end of
the show and probably MB's empire if something bad had happened.

Even though the video is titled "The Lost Players of Survivor," I found
it helped to explain why we got weird casts some seasons such as gender
imbalances or an odd number of players (I knew the "19" story).

The story that blew me away the most was the one about them nearly doing
a Canada vs. USA season. IIRC, this was before Canadians had even played.

--
Brian

Re: The Lost Players of Survivor

<uuf2i1$2m091$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1501&group=alt.tv.survivor#1501

From: rick@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 15:39:45 -0400
 by: Rick - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 19:39 UTC

"Brian Smith" wrote in message news:uueuep$2l1in$1@dont-email.me...

>On 4/1/2024 11:54 AM, Rick wrote:
>> "Brian Smith" wrote in message news:uudos4$2c8vg$1@dont-email.me...
>>>
>>> This was a great watch. I knew about some of the cases but a lot of the
>>> info in this video was new to me. The comments contain even more gold.
>>>
>>> https://youtu.be/W1atArJFoRQ?si=4l94fj6dZr5pAWAN
>>>

>> When I first saw this post, my initial reaction was why would anyone care
>> about Survivor contestants to never make the show? But I found it
>> weirdly compelling and fun to watch. I also found most of this to be
>> new information.
>>
>> One thing I wonder about is if the contestant Tina replaced ever came
>> back in a later season? It's weird we know nothing about her and she has
>> never spoken out about what happened. I wonder if CBS paid her some
>> money to keep quiet about it? They were dealing with the Stacey Spillman
>> lawsuit around that time, so I wonder if they maybe threw Maureen a few
>> bucks to keep her from also filing a suit. It might explain why she has
>> never spoken about this.
>>
>> --
>
>Some of that S2 story was new to me unless I've forgotten the details. I
>don't recall reading about the cast having to take skydiving lessons. I'm
>surprised MB wanted to take such a huge risk but not surprised at all that
>CBS lawyers killed the idea. That would have been the end of the show and
>probably MB's empire if something bad had happened.

That part didn't surprise me. In that same general time-frame, the first
season of the Mole (which was on ABC, different network) did a sky-diving
challenge, and I didn't see any problems with it. Sky-diving is pretty safe
since with trainees you generally dive in a pair with an experienced
instructor and your chute is automatically deployed. I've never heard of
anyone being injured in that type of controlled dive. I actually think you
have a much greater likelihood of injury being malnourished on a remote
island, eating rats (as they did in early Survivor) and doing some very
physical challenges.

>Even though the video is titled "The Lost Players of Survivor," I found it
>helped to explain why we got weird casts some seasons such as gender
>imbalances or an odd number of players (I knew the "19" story).
>
>The story that blew me away the most was the one about them nearly doing a
>Canada vs. USA season. IIRC, this was before Canadians had even played.

That surprised me too, to the point where I'm not sure I believe it. The
thought of Americans battling Canadians just doesn't seem seem like
something anyone would be drawn too. Amazing Race Australia did a similar
Australia vs. New Zealand season once, and that didn't seem to really catch
on either. On the other hand, looking back on it now, it's a little
surprising that Survivor actually literally once did a battle of races -
white vs. black vs. Asians vs. Hispanics, or however they described it, and
they did it two seasons in a row. That would never fly today, and, indeed,
it was severely criticized at the time, though some of that may have been
the quality of some of the contestants (remember Dreamz?).