O Lord, grant that we may always be right, for Thou knowest we will never change our minds.

arts / alt.tv.survivor / Before they handed out flint

SubjectAuthor
* Before they handed out flintRick
`* Re: Before they handed out flintBrian Smith
 `* Re: Before they handed out flintZeppo
  +* Re: Before they handed out flintRick
  |`- Re: Before they handed out flintZeppo
  `- Re: Before they handed out flintBrian Smith

1
Before they handed out flint

<uuqbbk$1rd2v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1549&group=alt.tv.survivor#1549

From: rick@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Subject: Before they handed out flint
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 22:17:24 -0400
 by: Rick - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 02:17 UTC

Anyone recall when Jeff started handing out flint when a team won immunity
and taking it away when a team lost immunity? I seem to recall in the early
days of the show, the teams had to figure out for themselves how to start
fire, either by rubbing two sticks together, using someone's glasses or or
just bringing back their lit torch after going to TC (this was back when
they used to actually walk to TC from their camp). Nowadays they probably
take a boat to TC and I think they are told they have to extinguish their
torches on the way out. I wonder if they are also told that if they have a
campfire going they have to extinguish it when they leave for TC?

Re: Before they handed out flint

<uuqdbk$1rmi1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1550&group=alt.tv.survivor#1550

From: dcg_brian@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Subject: Re: Before they handed out flint
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 20:51:19 -0600
 by: Brian Smith - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 02:51 UTC

On 4/5/2024 8:17 PM, Rick wrote:
> Anyone recall when Jeff started handing out flint when a team won
> immunity and taking it away when a team lost immunity?  I seem to recall
> in the early days of the show, the teams had to figure out for
> themselves how to start fire, either by rubbing two sticks together,
> using someone's glasses or or just bringing back their lit torch after
> going to TC (this was back when they used to actually walk to TC from
> their camp).  Nowadays they probably take a boat to TC and I think they
> are told they have to extinguish their torches on the way out.  I wonder
> if they are also told that if they have a campfire going they have to
> extinguish it when they leave for TC?

Jeff started taking away a tribe's flint when they lost an IC in S41. No
idea when he started giving flint to tribes who won. I feel like that's
been a thing for ages.

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2023/10/survivor-contestants-water/

--
Brian

Re: Before they handed out flint

<0001HW.2BC219F20013759730769A38F@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1553&group=alt.tv.survivor#1553

From: reg@telus.invalid (Zeppo)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2024 17:01:54 -0700
 by: Zeppo - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 00:01 UTC

On Apr 5, 2024, Brian Smith wrote

> Jeff started taking away a tribe's flint when they lost an IC in S41. No
> idea when he started giving flint to tribes who won. I feel like that's
> been a thing for ages.

In the earliest seasons, the tribes did not receive fire starters and
had to use other strategies to ignite a flame. At that time, the first
reward challenge usually featured a box of waterproof matches for
the winning tribe.
The first time that I clearly remember flint making an appearance
was in S8. The winners of the first reward challenge were offered
a choice of either flint or blankets, with the twist that if the winning
tribe chose the flint then the other two tribes would also receive it.
This may have been the first season in which flint replaced
waterproof matches as a reward, but I’m not completely sure
about that.

Re: Before they handed out flint

<uuu6fp$2q3ra$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1557&group=alt.tv.survivor#1557

From: rick@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 09:18:47 -0400
 by: Rick - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 13:18 UTC

"Zeppo" wrote in message

>On Apr 5, 2024, Brian Smith wrote
>>
>> Jeff started taking away a tribe's flint when they lost an IC in S41. No
>> idea when he started giving flint to tribes who won. I feel like that's
>> been a thing for ages.
>
>In the earliest seasons, the tribes did not receive fire starters and
>had to use other strategies to ignite a flame. At that time, the first
>reward challenge usually featured a box of waterproof matches for
>the winning tribe.
>The first time that I clearly remember flint making an appearance
>was in S8. The winners of the first reward challenge were offered
>a choice of either flint or blankets, with the twist that if the winning
>tribe chose the flint then the other two tribes would also receive it.
>This may have been the first season in which flint replaced
>waterproof matches as a reward, but I’m not completely sure
>about that.

I seem to remember that once a team went to TC, they would return to camp
with their lit torches and they would get fire that way. But that was when
they actually walked back and forth to TC which I don't think they do
anymore.

But I also recall that once a team got a fire started at camp, they would
keep try to keep it burning continuously, even protecting it somehow in the
case of rain. Nowadays they must be told to put the fire out when they go
to an immunity challenge so that Jeff can make a big deal about taking the
flint away if they lose. Otherwise, why not just leave the fire going when
they go to the challenge as they did in the old days so that it won't matter
if they lose flint.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering all this?

--

Re: Before they handed out flint

<0001HW.2BC312CA0006FCF93097D538F@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1558&group=alt.tv.survivor#1558

From: reg@telus.invalid (Zeppo)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 10:43:38 -0700
 by: Zeppo - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 17:43 UTC

On Apr 7, 2024, Rick wrote

> But I also recall that once a team got a fire started at camp, they would
> keep try to keep it burning continuously, even protecting it somehow in the
> case of rain.
>
> Maybe I'm mis-remembering all this?

Yes, I remember it that way as well. I recall that one of the reason’s that
old school tribes didn’t want to try to re-start their fires was that there
was
a steep learning curve to becoming successful with flint. That’s one aspect
of the game that has really changed for the better. Players now practice
fire making before they leave for Fiji, and, although some of them are
not entirely comfortable with the process, there are always one or two people
on each tribe who are very proficient.

Re: Before they handed out flint

<uuvc1r$32p6s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1559&group=alt.tv.survivor#1559

From: dcg_brian@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 17:59:39 -0600
 by: Brian Smith - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 23:59 UTC

On 4/6/2024 6:01 PM, Zeppo wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2024, Brian Smith wrote
>>
>> Jeff started taking away a tribe's flint when they lost an IC in S41. No
>> idea when he started giving flint to tribes who won. I feel like that's
>> been a thing for ages.
>
> In the earliest seasons, the tribes did not receive fire starters and
> had to use other strategies to ignite a flame. At that time, the first
> reward challenge usually featured a box of waterproof matches for
> the winning tribe.
> The first time that I clearly remember flint making an appearance
> was in S8. The winners of the first reward challenge were offered
> a choice of either flint or blankets, with the twist that if the winning
> tribe chose the flint then the other two tribes would also receive it.
> This may have been the first season in which flint replaced
> waterproof matches as a reward, but I’m not completely sure
> about that.

Interesting that All Stars was the first time they offered flint as a
reward option. The way the reward was structured makes me wonder if this
was by design with it being predetermined that the winning tribe would
take flint. More or less an inducement to get people to agree to play again.

--
Brian