Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 10:25:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: R.I.P. Susan Carlton Smith, 98, in Sept. 2021 (science illustrator:
"Hey, Bug!" compiled by Elizabeth Itse)
From: lenona321@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 17:25 UTC

https://prabook.com/web/susan_carlton.smith/772759
(résumé)

"Susan Carlton Smith has been listed as a notable artist, illustrator, sculptor by Marquis Who's Who."

https://www.huntbotanical.org/exhibitions/show.php?134
(this has an old photo)

https://www.onlineathens.com/obituaries/p0145311

Susan Carlton Smith Cavanagh died on September 2, 2021. She was the daughter of Hart Wylie Smith and Edward Inglis Smith Jr., and was preceded in death by her sisters, Laura Isabel Smith and Hart Smith Shiver, and her brother Edward Inglis Smith III.

She attended Lucy Cobb Elementary School, Athens High School, the University of Virginia Biological Station, and the University of Georgia, where she earned degrees in zoology, botany, and drama. She was at Duke University for 23 years as a medical and biological illustrator, and ultimately as Assistant Curator of the Trent Collection of rare books at the Medical Center Library. She illustrated professional journals and texts for many universities.

Her watercolors of mushrooms and wildflowers have been exhibited internationally. She also illustrated children's books, and is well-known for her nature sculptures displayed at the State Botanical Garden of Georgia in Athens..

She was a member of Phi Kappa Phi honor society, Chi Omega sorority, Friends of Lucy Cobb, and many other social and professional organizations.

She is survived by Robert Sidbury MD, Miles Huffaker, her nephews Samuel Moore Shiver, David Shiver, and Jeffery Smith, and her nieces Patricia Walsh and Sandra Smallwood.

No memorial service is planned. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the State Botanical Garden of Georgia, or to the Georgia Museum of Natural History.

https://mcarchives.duke.edu/blog/new-exhibit-features-librarys-medical-garden
(about the medical garden at Duke University, with a 1978 photo)

https://guides.mclibrary.duke.edu/medicalgarden
(more on the garden)

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22susan+carlton+smith%22+books&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZy6-d_ej_AhVarokEHR03AkIQ0pQJegQIChAB&biw=1920&bih=841&dpr=1
(book covers and some sculptures)