Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 14:18:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Happy (late) 100th, Ruth Stiles Gannett! (1949 Newbery Honoree: "My
Father's Dragon")
From: lenona321@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 21:18 UTC

Aka Ruth Stiles Gannett Kahn, her birthday was on the 12th.

According to one source, she lives near Ithaca, New York. Or near Trumansburg, which is close.

https://myfathersdragon.org/about/
(biography, with photos)

"The (Dragon) books were illustrated by her stepmother, illustrator Ruth Chrisman Gannett."

From 2018:

"When Translating Japanese Children’s Literature Helps You Meet Ruth Stiles Gannett"

https://ihatov.wordpress.com/2018/08/11/when-translating-japanese-childrens-literature-helps-you-meet-ruth-stiles-gannett/

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/features/1248124-my-fathers-dragon-interview-director-nora-twomey-on-animations-endless-potential
(interview with the director of the 2022 film)

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=ruth%20stiles%20gannett&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi
(book covers)

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/gannett/dragon/dragon.html
(this shows the map from My Father's Dragon)

From Contemporary Authors Online:

"The Wonderful House-Boat Train is a story about a retired railroad engineer, Pops Pops, and his four grandchildren, who are all looking for a home...Katie and the Sad Noise, a beginner's book, is about a little girl who hears peculiar noises. When she tells her parents, they become so worried that they talk to Katie's teachers. Suspense builds, and ends with a Christmas surprise.

"Gannett's trilogy, My Father's Dragon, Elmer and the Dragon, and The Dragons of Blueland, is a blend of childlike straightforwardness and a sense of the fantastic. In My Father's Dragon, Gannett demonstrates her understanding of little boys through the character of Elmer, who decides to go to Wild Island to free the baby dragon. Elmer and the Dragon continues his adventure with humor and nonsense as elements of a child's world. Gannett's attention to detail is indicative of her understanding of a child's curiosity. She describes food, history, and the contents of a treasure chest in a lively style. In the final installment of the trilogy, The Dragons of Blueland, Elmer and the baby dragon, Boris, set off on their final adventure to rescue Boris's family from a cave..."

http://twogirls100books.wordpress.com/tag/ruth-stiles-gannett/
(about the Dragon books)

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/search/books/?q=ruth%20stiles%20gannett&sf=t
(three Kirkus reviews)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/16215.Ruth_Stiles_Gannett
(reader reviews & quotations)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Stiles_Gannett

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4790708/
(short filmography)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toqliIRVylI
(video from 2017 or 2018 - she appears in it briefly)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%22ruth+stiles%22+gannett&oq=%22ruth+stiles%22+gannett&gs_l=youtube.3...806.806.0.1400.1.1.0.0.0.0.85.85.1.1.0...0.0...1ac.2.11.youtube.CSIgAKllVoQ

https://www.google.com/search?q=ruth+stiles+gannett&source=lmns&tbm=vid&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj2k5OHy-SAAxVyUDUKHWPWB8oQ0pQJKAR6BAgBEAo
(more videos)

More about her illustrator-stepmother Ruth Chrisman Gannett (1896-1979):

https://primo.lib.umn.edu/discovery/fulldisplay?docid=alma9980041878701701&context=L&vid=01UMN_INST:TWINCITIES&lang=en&search_scope=TwinCitiesCampus_and_CI&adaptor=Local%20Search%20Engine&tab=Everything&query=any,contains,Ruth%20Chrisman%20Gannett

"Gannett illustrated both children's and adult books, and her work is noted for its detail, charm, and in the Elmer books, its sense of humor. In 1946 she received as Caldecott Honor citation for My Mother is the Most Beautiful Woman in the World. This book is based upon as Russian folk tale about a little girl's search for her mother, who for her truly is the most beautiful woman in the world. Gannett's illustrations were praised by critics for their detail and charm, and their illumination of the little girl's vision of her mother."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeCwgimZWrU
(Sesame Street version, 11:32 minutes)

CAREER (of Ruth Stiles Gannett):

Medical technician, Boston City Hospital; radar research technician, MIT, Cambridge; Children's Book Council, New York, staff member.

WRITINGS:

My Father's Dragon (Junior Literary Guild selection; also see below), 1948, illustrations by Ruth Chrisman Gannett, Knopf, (New York City), 1987.

The Wonderful House-Boat Train, 1949.

Elmer and the Dragon (Junior Literary Guild Selection; also see below), 1950, illustrations by Ruth Chrisman Gannett, Knopf, 1987.

The Dragons of Blueland (Junior Literary Guild selection; also see below), 1951, illustrations by Ruth Chrisman Gannett, Knopf, 1987.

Katie and the Sad Noise, 1961.

Three Tales of My Father's Dragon (contains My Father's Dragon, Elmer and the Dragon, and The Dragons of Blueland), illustrations by Ruth Chrisman Gannett, Random House (New York City), 1998.