Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 11:48:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: R.I.P. James Paul Kocsis, 85, in Dec. 2021 (painter/illustrator: "The
Art of Being a Girl" by Judith Unger Scott, 1965)
From: lenona321@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 18:48 UTC

His museum is in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

What's very peculiar is that the photos of his grave do not include his death date.

https://www.mcall.com/2022/01/20/allentown-artist-james-paul-kocsis-who-painted-the-human-soul-has-died-at-85-pictures/

By Monica Cabrera The Morning Call
PUBLISHED: January 20, 2022 at 5:00 a.m. | UPDATED: January 22, 2022 at 2:03 p.m.

"Allentown artist James Paul Kocsis, seen here at a Paris exhibition of his work, died Dec. 28. He was 85."

You can see his face better here:

https://ourcommunitynow.com/allentown-pa/james-paul-kocsis-fiercely-independent-allentown-artist-who-painted-the-human-soul-has-died-at-85

Three days after Christmas, artist James Paul Kocsis died at a nursing home in Allentown, where he had lived for nearly a year. He was a widower and had no other living family. Friends are planning a memorial...

What I posted in 2015:

He once said:

"A true creator invents and creates and ensures the reality that's totally contrary to bureaucracy. And the people who control the world, who control the museums, who control the galleries, are overwhelmingly bureaucrats. And yet they are expected to support art that's totally living, that's in opposition to their orientation; and that's a hard confrontation. The tradition is that the artist is placed at arm's length in a gallery, or handed over to others who can sterilize this transition between the bureaucratic reality in which we all live, what's called normal, and the personal world of art, of truth, reality and fantasy of the new world created in the new art form."

About "Edge of Two Worlds", by Weyman Jones (award winner):

"Sole survivor of a Comanche raid on the wagon train taking him East to school, a fifteen-year-old boy wanders the prairie until he meets and becomes the unwilling companion of a strange old Cherokee who is bent on an unusual mission."

From a 1999 interview:
....Kocsis says the dealers and gallery owners he encountered in the early '70s didn't want to allow him to make the art he wanted to make - a genre he created himself, "psychic impressionism."...

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=jc+kocsis&sortby=7&wassortselected=true
(some titles and book covers)

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22james+paul%22+kocsis&biw=1280&bih=532&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj17eWxoK_MAhVBPj4KHaSkDrYQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=jc+kocsis+books
(a few more covers)