Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 11:52:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: R.I.P. Vicki Cobb, 84, in Jan. ("Science Experiments You Can Eat")
From: lenona321@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 18:52 UTC

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/legacyremembers/vicki-cobb-obituary?id=38603352
(with color photo)

Vicki Linda Wolf Cobb, 84, from White Plains, NY died January 8, 2023 in Calvary Hospital in New York City. She was born on August 19, 1938 in New York City to Benjamin (d. 1991) and Paula (Davis) Wolf (d. 1987). Vicki grew up in New York City where she attended The Little Red Schoolhouse in Greenwich Village and then attended high school in Tarrytown, NY. She left high school at 16 years of age, before graduating, to attend the University of Wisconsin as a Ford Scholar. She transferred to Barnard College where she majored in Zoology and earned a Master's degree in Secondary Science Education.

After early careers as a laboratory researcher and science teacher, Vicki became a full-time writer of science books for children. Vicki's prolific body of work of more than 90 books includes Science Experiments You Can Eat (1972) which exemplifies her mastery of bringing settled science to young people. She worked over her career to bring the joy of learning to children over many generations. Vicki was a pioneer in Cable Television in the early 1970's as the host of The Science Game as well as being one of the first group of writers for Good Morning America on ABC. Vicki was the Founder and President of Ink Think Tank, Inc (Innovative Nonfiction for Kids) a company of the best nonfiction authors from K-12 dedicated to bringing non-fiction literature into the classroom. She was a regular blogger for Education Update and the Huffington Post.

Vicki was married to Edward Scribner Cobb (1934 - 2022) from 1960 to 1975 and they had two sons, Theo and Josh. Vicki married Richard Trachtenberg in 1996 and they split time between their home in White Plains and their ski house in Manchester, VT. They were both avid skiers and were fixtures at Bromley Mountain in Vermont...

(snip)

https://www.shelf-awareness.com/issue.html?issue=4394#m58758

Vicki Cobb, the author of more than 100 children's books, died on January 9.. She was 84.

After working as a laboratory researcher and science teacher, Cobb became a full-time writer of science books for children. Her hands-on science books for children included Science Experiments You Can Eat; Bet You Can, Bet You Can't; We Dare You!; and the Science Play series. Her books covered physics, chemistry and biology, biographies, weather and climate change, geography, and the human body. She received a Lifetime Achievement Prize from the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the Sibert Honor for I Face the Wind.

Cobb also was a pioneer in cable television in the early 1970s as the host of the Science Game as well as one of the first group of writers for Good Morning America. Cobb was the founder and president of Ink Think Tank, Inc. (Innovative Nonfiction for Kids), a company of nonfiction authors from K-12 dedicated to bringing nonfiction literature into the classroom. The organization has grown to include the Nonfiction Minute Channel on SchoolTube, iNK Media and Books, and the Nonfiction Minute, a daily blog for kids with original 400-word essays by more than two dozen iNK authors. She was also a regular blogger for Education Update and the Huffington Post and made hundreds of school visits, with original creative programs that she developed. She had a lively sense of humor, adding vitality and sparkle to her presentations...

_______________________________________

What I posted in 2018 (sadly, her website seems to have been taken down):

https://twitter.com/vickicobb?lang=en

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1290&bih=927&ei=Elx4W4iSIoSJggf4-pKYCQ&q=vicki+cobb+kirkus&oq=vicki+cobb+kirkus&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i160k1l3.890.3399.0.3597.7.7.0.0.0.0.125.680.5j2.7.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.7.680....0j0i22i30k1.0.sSfKTPcfbwE
(seven Kirkus reviews)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/131745.Vicki_Cobb
(reader reviews)

https://www.google.com/search?q=vicki+cobb+books&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjj94_5lffcAhXjRd8KHdzGA8gQ_AUICigB&biw=1290&bih=927
(photos and book covers)

http://www.readingrockets.org/books/interviews/cobb/transcript
(long interview)

Excerpt:

"Older children need to be brought back to thinking things through and to predicting. And then you say to them — you give them a challenge like kids will ask me, 'What's your favorite experiment?' And my — in Science Experiments You Can Eat my favorite experiment is called bake steak, a study in enzyme action. And that's where you measure the effect of meat tenderizer in an acid or basic environment and how do you...? I had to come up with a way to measure the tenderness of meat.

"So I did it by feeding pieces of meat to a hungry subject blindly so this person didn't know which pile of meat — the meat came from and counting the number of chews before swallowing. And I got amazing data during that. And it was just, you know, I felt, oh, this is so clever. And it was reviewed by The Scientific American saying that I got amazing results doing this experiment. So when kids want something challenging, I say do this experiment. You have to control for a lot of things. You have to use statistics because there are a lot of variables and the statistics smooth out the variables..."

https://www.google.com/search?q=vicki+cobb&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiI_6nilvfcAhUKhOAKHSrPAn0Q_AUIDCgD&biw=1290&bih=927
(videos)

WRITINGS BY THE AUTHOR:

For juveniles, except as indicated:

Logic, F. Watts, 1970.
Gases, F. Watts, 1970.
Making Sense of Money, Parents' Magazine Press, 1971.
Sense of Direction: Up, Down and All Around, Parents' Magazine Press, 1972.
Science Experiments You Can Eat, Lippincott, 1972, revised and updated, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 1994.
How the Doctor Knows You're Fine, Lippincott, 1973.
The Long and Short of Measurement, Parents' Magazine Press, 1973.
Heat, F. Watts, 1973.
Arts and Crafts You Can Eat, Lippincott, 1974.
Supersuits, Lippincott, 1975.
Magic . . . Naturally, Lippincott, 1977, revised edition, HarperCollinsPublishers, 1993.
More Science Experiments You Can Eat, Lippincott, 1979.
Truth on Trial: The Story of Galileo Galilei, Coward, 1979.

(With Kathy Darling) Bet You Can't! Science Impossibilities to Fool You, Lothrop, 1980.
How to Really Fool Yourself: Illusions for All Your Senses, Lippincott, 1981, J. Wiley, 1999.
Lots of Rot, Lippincott, 1981.
The Secret Life of School Supplies: A Science Experiment Book, Lippincott, 1981.
Fuzz Does It, Lippincott, 1982.
The Secret Life of Hardware: A Science Experiment Book, Lippincott, 1982.
Gobs of Goo, Lippincott, 1983.
Brave in the Attempt: The Special Olympics Experience (adult nonfiction), Pinwheel, 1983.
The Monsters Who Died: A Mystery about Dinosaurs, Coward, 1983.
(With Darling) Bet You Can! Science Possibilities to Fool You, Avon, 1983, 1st hardcover edition, illustrated by Stella Ormai, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard, 1990.
Chemically Active! A Science Experiment Book, illustrated by son, Theo Cobb, Lippincott, 1985.
The Scoop on Ice Cream, illustrated by G. Brian Karas, Little, Brown (Boston), 1985.
Sneakers Meet Your Feet, illustrated by Theo Cobb, Little, Brown, 1985.
The Secret Life of Cosmetics: A Science Experiment Book, illustrated by Theo Cobb, Lippincott, 1985.
Inspector Bodyguard Patrols the Land of U, illustrated by John Sandford, Julian Messner (New York), Simon & Schuster, 1986.
More Power to You, illustrated by Bill Ogden, Little, Brown, 1986.
Feeding Yourself, illustrated by Marylin Hafner, Lippincott, 1989.
The Trip of a Drip, illustrated by Elliot Kreloff, Little, Brown, 1986.
Skyscraper Going Up!, design and paper engineering by John Strejan, T. Y. Crowell (New York), 1987.
Why Doesn't the Earth Fall Up?: And Other Not Such Dumb Questions about Motion, illustrated by Ted Enik, Lodestar Books (New York), 1988.
Getting Dressed, illustrated by Marylin Hafner, Lippincott, 1989.
This Place is Cold, illustrated by Barbara Lavallee, Walker (New York), 1989.
This Place is Dry, illustrated by Lavallee, Walker, 1989.
This Place is High, illustrated by Lavallee, Walker, 1989.
This Place is Wet, illustrated by Lavallee, Walker, 1989.
For Your Own Protection: Stories Science Photos Tell, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Books (New York), 1989.
Writing It Down, illustrated by Marylin Hafner, Lippincott, 1989.

Why Doesn't the Sun Burn Out?: And Other Not Such Dumb Questions about Energy, illustrated by Ted Enik, Lodestar, 1990.
Natural Wonders: Stories Science Photos Tell, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard, 1990.
Why Can't You Unscramble an Egg?: And Other Not Such Dumb Questions about Matter, illustrated by Enik, Lodestar, 1990.
Fun & Games: Stories Science Photos Tell, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard, 1991.
This Place is Lonely, illustrated by Lavallee, Walker, 1991.
This Place is Crowded: Japan, illustrated by Lavallee, Walker, 1992.
(With Josh Cobb) Light Action!: Amazing Experiments with Optics, illustrated by Theo Cobb, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 1993.
(With Kathy Darling) Wanna Bet?: Science Challenges to Fool You, illustrated by Meredith Johnson, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard, 1993.
On the Tip of Your Tongue, Hyperion Books for Children (New York), 1996.
Blood & Gore, Like You've Never Seen, Scholastic (New York), 1997.
Why Can't I Live Forever?: And Other Not Such Dumb Questions about Life, illustrated by Mena Dolobowsky, Lodestar, 1997.
Dirt & Grime, Like You've Never Seen, Scholastic, 1998.
(With Kathy Darling) Don't Try This at Home!: Science Fun for Kids on the Go, illustrated by True Kelley, Morrow Junior Books (New York), 1998.
This Place is Wild: East Africa, illustrated by Barbara Lavallee, Walker, 1998.
You Gotta Try This!: Absolutely Irresistible Science, illustrated by Kelley, Morrow, 1999.

Click here to read the complete article