Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 11:09:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: R.I.P. Helga Aichinger, 83, in Oct. 2021 (Austrian illustrator &
2-time HCAA finalist)
From: lenona321@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 18:09 UTC

Not to be confused with the much older Austrian writer (and twin sister of writer Ilse) who fled, at age 17 in 1939, to the U.K. and never returned to Austria.

https://www.bestattung-langer.at/sterbefall/helga-aichinger/
(tiny notice in German - it says she died on Oct. 15th)

https://www.nachrichten.at/kultur/illustratorin-helga-aichinger-83-verstorben;art16,3483664
(in German, with old photo)

Translation:

Illustrator Helga Aichinger (83) died

By Herbert Schorn on November 03, 2021 at 12:04 am

She designed many children's books - among others, the Museum of Modern Art in New York bought her graphics.

"I paint for the joy of painting. I paint how the bird sings. I hear the inaudible tone of the tones and try to say what no word can express, what no picture can convey." This is how Helga Aichinger described her art in 1973.

At the time, she was a well-respected graphic artist who made a name for herself primarily with illustrations for children's and elementary school books, for example with "The Pied Piper" (1963) or "Tonio and the Mountain Ghosts" (1982). Helga Aichinger has now died of pneumonia at the age of 83. She had lived in seclusion in her house in Tragwein.

Aichinger was born on November 29, 1937 in Traun, where she grew up with two sisters. One of her sisters, Ingeborg Kuba, also chose to become an artist: she became a sculptor. Helga studied at the Art School of the City of Linz (today Art University) and then worked as a graphic designer and illustrator. Museums and galleries soon acquired her work, including the Museum of Modern Art in New York and the Museum of Applied Arts in Vienna. She has received many awards, for example the honorary diploma at the Biennale of Illustrations in Bratislava (1969) or the Austrian State Prize (1975).

After the death of her partner, the head of the Linz municipal office, Karl Kleinschmidt, in 1984, she withdrew. "She was very introverted and loved nature," says her nephew Peter Kuba. So there are no current photos of her. The farewell will take place today at 10.30 a.m. in the Pregarten mortuary.

What I posted in 2017:

She lives in Pregarten, Austria.

She was nominated for the Hans Christian Andersen Award in 1970 and 1974.

She also designs puppets and textiles.

Short bio from one of her books (there's likely a mistake regarding her birthplace, but Linz borders on Traun):

"Helga Aichinger is one of the most successful of the youngest generation of European artists. Born in Linz, Austria, she began her career as a student of calligraphy and other graphic arts at the local Academy of Art. Her works have been purchased by the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, the Stedlijk Museum in Amsterdam, and many other museums and private collectors in Europe and America. Mrs. Aichinger lives with her husband at the edge of a forest in Austria."

http://50watts.com/Forgotten-Illustrator-Helga-Aichinger
(some artwork of Noah's Ark and comments near the bottom)

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Helga+Aichinger%22&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS773US773&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVl4Pq2OnXAhWIRt8KHdYIAlgQ_AUICigB&biw=1031&bih=635&dpr=1
(more illustrations)

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/search/books/?q=helga%20aichinger&sf=t
(two Kirkus reviews)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/138899.Helga_Aichinger
(reader reviews)

WRITINGS:
SELF-ILLUSTRATED

Der Rattenfaenger, Neugebauer Verlag, 1958.

Der Elefant, die Maus und der Floh, Middelhauve Verlag, 1966, translation published as The Elephant, the Mouse and the Flea, Atheneum, 1967.
Der Hirte, Neugebauer Verlag, 1966, translation published as The Shepherd , Crowell, 1967.
Die Regenmaus, Neugebauer Verlag, 1968, translation published as The Rainmouse, F. Watts, 1968.
Der Regenmann und die Regenfrau, Neugebauer Verlag, 1968, translation published as The Rainman, F. Watts, 1968.

Heute bin ich ein Kaefer, Neugebauer Verlag, 1974.

Tonio und die Berggeister, Ellermann Verlag, 1982, translation published as Tonia and the Mountain Trolls, Evans Brothers, 1982.
Aladin und die Wunderlampe, Ellermann Verlag, 1984.
What Shall I Be Tomorrow, translated by Peggy Blakeley, Picture Book Studio USA (Natick, MA), 1984.
Hans im Glueck, Neugebauer Verlag, 1986.

ILLUSTRATOR

Die Wichtelreise, Benziger Verlag, 1963.
Die Bunte Maerchentruhe, Trauner Verlag, 1965.
Die Schoepfung, Ernst Kaufmann Verlag, 1965.
Der verlorene Sohn, Ernst Kaufmann Verlag, 1965.
Mein Lesebuch fuer das 2. Schuljahr, Beyerischer Schulbuch Verlag, 1969.
Bear Weather, Macmillan, 1969.

Ein Koernchen fuer den Pfau, Ernst Kaufmann Verlag, 1970, translation published as From Sunrise to Sunset, Abelard, 1972.
Clyde R. Bulla, Jonah and the Great Fish, Crowell, 1970.
Bulla, The Rainbow, Crowell, 1972.
Max Bolliger, Der Regenbogen, Artemis Verlag, 1972, translation published as Noah and the Rainbow: An Ancient Story Retold by Max Bolliger, Crowell, 1972.
Jerome Judson, I Never Saw ..., Albert Whitman, 1974.
Jane Yolen, The Boy Who Had Wings, Crowell, 1974.
Bolliger, Die Puppe auf dem pferd, Artemis Verlag, 1975.
Karl Kleinschmidt, Der andere Tierkreis, Neugebauer Verlag, 1978.
Lesebuch 3, Osterreichischer Bundesverlag, 1978.

OTHER
Von den Bienen, Ernst Kaufmann Verlag, 1963.
Die Verwandlung des Raeupleins, Ernst Kaufmann Verlag, 1963.
Die Katze Mimi, Ernst Kaufmann Verlag, 1964.
Die Waldameisenburg, Ernst kaufmann Verlag, 1965.
Leuchtkaeferchen, Ernst Kaufmann Verlag, 1965.