Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425couple@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: A Quora - we could go to Titan!
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 15:24:59 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 22:24 UTC

Thats-Insane ·
Follow
Posted by
Heather Monahan

Jan 30
Profile photo for Thomas Edward Samuel Thomas
Thomas Edward Samuel Thomas
Amateur astronomer3y

How far could NASA send a human into space realistically?

With today’s technology, some good funding, and about three years to
plan and build a spaceship, NASA could send humans to Titan, Saturn’s
planetary moon.

It would likely take them seven years to get there, five years to come
back, so they’d need Food and Fuel for twelve years. A rotating pod
could be created for centrifugal artificial gravity so that the
astronauts, perhaps twenty of them, wouldn’t suffer from bone density
loss. The pod could be made to rotate so that the main cabins would be
at 1 G, Earth’s Standard.

The main structure would be static though, weightless.

This is an overblown example of what humanity might build in the future.

For now it would need only to be a frame with engines, a life ring, and
a control pod in the front, as well as food, water and fuel tanks, as
well as a waste processing center.

Food could also be produced Aeroponically in part of the life ring.

276.5K views1.4K upvotes24 shares207 comments
15.2K views
View 132 upvotes

Jon Schnaars
· Mar 27
Fascinating imagination. Watch any of Paul Spudis’ YouTube or LPI videos
to get a more feasible explanation of why NASA recently pivoted from a
Martian to a lunar focus. Space travel is still in the infant stage. We
got to the Moon and came home for 50 plus years because we learned a lot
of imagine, plan, design, build, test, fail, resign, build…etc goes into
each step along the way. You could also read his book The Value of the Moon