Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 07:56:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: R.I.P. Charles F. Bracke, 90, in Jan. 2020 (illustrator: "Litterbugs
Come in Every Size," 1972)
From: lenona321@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 14:56 UTC

He died in Hot Springs Village, Arkansas.

I knew him mainly for a 1969 retelling of "The Three Little Pigs." Bracke's illustrations reminded me of MAD Magazine's Mort Drucker, though I suppose they're actually closer to the style of Jolly Roger Bradfield. You'll see some of them, below.

https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/10632473/Charles-F-Bracke
(with photo)

Charles (Chuck) Bracke, 11-04-1929 to 1-19-2020
Chuck was born in Chicago. He attended Northwestern University and graduated from the Chicago Academy of Fine Arts. He enlisted in the Airforce in 1951, and serving 3 years in the states and on Guam. After his discharge he spent his career illustrating cartoons for advertising as well as art for books on fishing and golf; and children’s books for national distribution. He and wife Marsha of 40 years retired from Chicago the Village in 1991 for the love of golf, fishing, and tennis. The Voice published “Goofy Golf Limerick” for years. He leaves behind Marsha, his son Rob and Daughter-in-law Kathy that live in the Village and of course his wonderful granddaughter Christina who lives in Minnesota. He also leaves his youngest son Chad and his wife Laura from Chicago. Sorry to leave all you nice folks, but I want you to think only of the good times we had together. Arrangements are entrusted with CedarVale Funeral Home of the Hot Springs Village, AR.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22charles+bracke%22&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjxj-_2rMiBAxX8AVkFHQ4IBeUQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=%22charles+bracke%22&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1D7BliNCGC9C2gAcAB4AIABkAGIAdUCkgEDMS4ymAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=bNgSZfGpF_yD5NoPjpCUqA4&bih=644&biw=1366&rlz=1CAJMBU_enUS1077
(book covers)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324286335712
(a copy of "Hippolito & Eugene G.," with several photos - it's told in rhyme and is more interesting than one might guess at first glance)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/968470804/the-three-little-pigs-as-told-by-jo-anne
(a copy of "The Three Little Pigs" - it's missing the page where the third pig builds the brick house, but there's also a very short video included in the pictures)

https://www.google.com/search?q=Eugene+%22florence+kramon%22&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiTs6yXv8iBAxXFKlkFHZZRATUQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=Eugene+%22florence+kramon%22&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1C2E1jQZmCkaWgAcAB4AIAB6AKIAcIdkgEINC4yMy4wLjKYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=kOsSZZOrFMXV5NoPlqOFqAM&bih=644&biw=1366&rlz=1CAJMBU_enUS1077
(pictures of the "Eugene" books, by Florence Kramon - the books are told in rhyme)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/506404108/eugene-pack-a-grip-florence-kramon-1967?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details
(a copy of "Eugene, Pack a Grip")

And, since several of the photos will lead you to this site, I figured I should post this as well.

http://www.kathleendeady.com/MyCollectionPage.htm

Kathleen W. Deady was born in 1961. It's a fantastic view of her picture book collection, which runs from the 19th century to the 2010s. What's really wonderful is that you can click on any decade and see the books arranged by the year of publication - AND you can see the first few pages of each book! (Without her site, I would never have remembered the title of the 1932 book "The Cruise of Mr. Christopher Columbus: A Really Truly Story" by Sadyebeth & Anson Lowitz. After all, there are likely at least 100 picture books about Columbus in the U.S. alone. The illustrations remind me of Wanda Gag..)

Some (most?) of the books Bracke worked on:

Neatos and Litterbugs, 1952, by Norah Smaridge

Hippolito and Eugene G., 1967, by Florence Kramon

("A little boy, ashamed of his unique name, asks his teacher, the policeman, the mailman, the fireman, his scout master, and all his friends if there was a famous person who had his same name.")

Wallpaper for Eugene's Room, 1967, by Florence Kramon

("Eugene had a large and lovely room, filled with toys and a car that went zoom. His mother said, 'This room is all right. But paper would make it ever so bright.' Eugene's mother puts animal print wallpaper in his room. The animals make a lot of noise at night because they don't get along. This is the fabulous story of how they decide to live together in Eugene's room. Eugene and His Friends--a series of six picture-story books--was written to give big-city children a sense of importance in their way of life--to help them see that life in the inner city is as important and interesting as life in a house on a tree-lined street.")

Nobody Looks at Eugene, 1967

Eugene and the Policeman, 1967

Eugene and the New Baby, 1967

Quote:

"I can sleep out in the hall
"I really do not mind at all.

"Or I can sleep among the trash.
"I do not think that's very rash."

Eugene, Pack a Grip, 1967
("Eugene packs his grip for all the things he'll need for every kind of travel - much to the dismay of his mother.")

Whoa Joey!, 1968, by Daphne Hogstrom
(about a baby kangaroo)

The Three Little Pigs, 1969, retold by Jo Anne Wood (pub. Whitman)

Litterbugs Come in Every Size, 1972, by Norah Smaridge

The Neatos and the Litterbugs in the Mystery of the Missing Ticket, 1973,
by Norah Smaridge