Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 06:13:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: R.I.P. Albert Lorenz, 81, in June ("Renovated Fairy Tales," 2011)
From: lenona321@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 13:13 UTC

Some other books he illustrated (including those he wrote):

Metropolis: Ten Cities, Ten Centuries (1996)

Jumbled -Tumbled Tales 1 : the Little Dutch Boy (1997)

Buried Blueprints: Maps and Sketches of Lost Worlds and Mysterious Places
by Joy Schleh (1999)

Jack and the Beanstalk: How a Small Fellow Solved a Big Problem
by Joy Schleh (2002)

The Trojan Horse by Joy Schleh (2006)

The Exceptionally, Extraordinarily Ordinary First Day of School (2010)

Renovated Fairy Tales: as told by the Boy Who Drew Flies (2011)

The True Story Behind Lincoln's Gettysburg Address by Jennifer Armstrong (2013)

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=569458463&rlz=1CAJMBU_enUS1077&q=albert+lorenz+books&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwicztWu8c-BAxWCkokEHQ8FBksQ0pQJegQIDhAB&biw=1366&bih=644&dpr=1
(book covers)

https://www.forevermissed.com/albert-lorenz/about
(with photo)

Born on December 9, 1941 in New York, New York, United States
Passed away on June 30, 2023 in Franklin Square, New York, United States

Albert Lorenz has left the building…but not without leaving a indelible mark in the world of illustration and education.

Al passed away on Friday, June 30 at 4:50 AM

He was comfortable and surrounded by family in the days leading up to his passing.

Al was born in 1941 and was raised in New York City. He received his Bachelor of Architecture from Pratt Institute in 1965. That same year, he married Maureen McCartney and then entered military service in the US Army for two years, thirteen months of which were spent overseas in Korea. Upon returning home, he continued his architectural studies at Columbia University and received a Master of Science in Architecture in 1969. He worked in the architectural field for several years but did not stay there long.
He began his illustration career in 1971 working as a freelance artist when he formed his studio. At the same time he began teaching illustration in the School of Architecture at Pratt Institute.

The Albert Lorenz Studio went on to produce a wide spectrum of art including illustrations for advertising, newspapers, magazines, editorials, children's books and book covers as well as illustrations for many architectural firms. Lorenz gradually evolved his singular style by combining his knowledge of architecture with his imagination as an artist.

His work was cited for numerous honors including the Gold Medal from the Los Angeles Society of Illustrators for his book, Metropolis Ten Cities Ten Centuries, published by Harry N. Abrams, 1996 and the Silver Medal from the Society of Illustrators, New York as well as the Stevan Dohanos Award from the same society.

His work was also published in the New York Times, National Geographic, Sports Illustrated, Architectural Record, and many other periodicals. He received commissions from the American Institute of Architects, the Museum of Modern Art, NY, and the American Museum of Natural History, NY.

Harry N. Abrams published all his books: Metropolis Ten Cities Ten Centuries, 1996; House, 1998; Buried Blueprints - Maps and Sketches of Lost Worlds and Mysterious Places, 1999; Jack and the Beanstalk, 2004; A Journey to Cahokia, 2005; The Trojan Horse, 2007; and The Exceptionally Extraordinarily Ordinary First Day of School, 2010; and he self published Renovated Fairy Tales, 2011.

He is well known for his Buried Blueprints illustrations, a series inspired by a combination of historical and mythological themes.

After thirty years as professor of media and communications Al retired from Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY where he was Institute Distinguished Professor.
Al is survived by his wife, Maureen and his two daughters, Margaret Lorenz and Kirsten Guerin and grandchildren Lily Guerin, Molly Guerin and Parker Groshans.

https://prabook.com/web/albert.lorenz/3757336
(resume - this mentions his jigsaw puzzles)

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/albert-lorenz-obituary?id=52439829
Excerpt:

"I am greatly influenced by the artists Pieter Breughel and Hieronymous Bosch. Both are quite distinct from each other but I admire their works for the artistic intricacy and the subtle humor each employed. I am drawn to the complicated visuals created in their landscapes and I try to absorb that technique and apply it to my own work.

"I want the viewer to be drawn into my art the same way I am to Breughel and Bosch and to discover new things each time he or she looks at one of my works. I use pen and ink as my base with color added last. This allows me to draw tight, detailed scenes filled with minutiae and then I add color for vibrancy and effect using every available media (sic)."

https://www.greatbigcanvas.com/category/lorenz-albert/
(paintings - these include a few views of NYC, a map of Gettysburg, the Odyssey, Atlantis, the Garden of Eden, the Wild West, Seven Cities of Gold, the Great Wall of China, and the Renaissance)

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/author/albert-lorenz/
(six Kirkus reviews)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/85220.Albert_Lorenz
(reader reviews)

https://www.facebook.com/AlbertLorenzArtist/

About "Renovated Fairy Tales":

"Is anyone old enough to remember the 'Fractured Fairy Tales' told by Edward Everett Horton on the old Rocky and Bullwinkle animated television show? Well, get ready for some 'Renovated Fairy Tales.' Albert is a small boy who lives in a small town. His parents read him fairy tales every night before he goes to bed, but he always wants to change them and make them silly so people will get a good laugh. Also, he likes to draw. After floating up on balloons to draw the top of his house, taking apart the grandfather clock to draw the inner workings, and filling his room with garbage to attract flies for him to draw—and being told each time never, never do that again, Albert grows up, has a family, and tells his children his own silly versions of fairy tales.

"For example, the three little pigs emigrate from Europe to Dodge City, KS, in the days of the Wild West to build their houses, and are pursued by the Wolf Brothers Gang. Chicken Little and his friends live in Ninnyville, which was a nice, quiet town until a superhighway is built right through the middle of it. In fact, it’s a piece of blue plastic blown up by a huge sixteen wheeler which convinces Chicken Little to go to the White House and tell the President that the sky is falling. Rapunzel and her sister Gwenda live in a very tall apartment building in Seattle, WA, and when the elevator breaks Gwenda must use Rapunzel’s long hair, which reached all the way to the ground, to get in and out of their twentieth-story apartment. But all that climbing, pulling, and tugging only stimulates Rapunzel’s hair growth at an alarming rate! What will the sisters do?

"I don’t know if real-life co-author Albert Lorenz, who has written and illustrated several other children’s books including The Exceptionally Extraordinarily Ordinary First Day of School, is the inspiration for the little boy who drew flies or not (I might guess that he is), but he and co-author Maureen Lorenz, his wife and agent, have certainly provided a collection of some old and familiar stories retold with a quirky imagination and comic attitude. Born and raised in New York City, Lorenz received his Bachelor of Architecture from Pratt Institute in 1965 and his Master of Science in Architecture from Columbia University in 1969. After working for several years in the architectural field, he formed his own illustration studio in 1971.

"Also, he retired from Pratt Institute in Brooklyn after thirty years as professor of media and communications with the commendation of Institute Distinguished Professor. Anyone with a funny bone, especially an eccentric one, will find it tickled by Renovated Fairy Tales. A sequel is planned that includes the stories of Rumpelstiltzkin, The Pied Piper, Red Riding Hood, and Hansel and Gretel."

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22albert+lorenz%22&sca_esv=569458463&rlz=1CAJMBU_enUS1077&biw=1366&bih=644&tbm=vid&ei=E8sWZYOmHpqq5NoPrqmxCA&ved=0ahUKEwjD-8jh8M-BAxUaFVkFHa5UDAEQ4dUDCA4&uact=5&oq=%22albert+lorenz%22&gs_lp=Eg1nd3Mtd2l6LXZpZGVvIg8iYWxiZXJ0IGxvcmVueiIyBhAAGBYYHjIGEAAYFhgeMgYQABgWGB4yBhAAGBYYHjIGEAAYFhgeMgYQABgWGB4yBhAAGBYYHjIGEAAYFhgeMgYQABgWGB4yBhAAGBYYHkiYGVCYB1iwF3AAeACQAQCYAewEoAHwBqoBBzItMS41LTG4AQPIAQD4AQHCAgUQABiABIgGAQ&sclient=gws-wiz-video
(some videos - one mentions his 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle, "The Gladiators")