Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 12:31:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: R.I.P. Evangeline Ledi Barongo, 80, in January (Ugandan author & HCAA finalist)
From: lenona321@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 19:31 UTC

She was nominated for the Hans Christian Andersen Award in 2010.

https://www.newvision.co.ug/category/news/ex-nssf-md-barongos-wife-to-be-buried-on-sund-NV_151545
(this is the longest obit, I think, with several remembrances and photos)

One friend of hers said that she was "the only trained children's librarian that Uganda has ever had."

(And just below that sentence, check out what it says about her as a teacher in Nigeria! You won't believe it.)

Her husband, Dr. Yoram Borongo, was a prime minister of the Bunyoro Kingdom..

Also:

https://twitter.com/newvisionwire/status/1613919439388377090

"Evangeline Barongo, who was fondly called Eva, died aged 80 on January 11, 2023, at Mulago National Referral Hospital in Kampala where she had been hospitalized for diabetes since December 31, 2022."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangeline_Barongo
(includes partial(?) booklist)

"Evangeline Barongo is a Ugandan author of children's literature. Barongo is a founding member of the Uganda Children’s Writers and Illustrators Association (UCWIA), a platform that brings together writers and illustrators of children’s books, librarians, teachers, publishers, and booksellers.[1] She is also a member of the Reading Association of Uganda (RAU), Uganda Library and Information Association and the International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY) Uganda chapter established in 2004.[2][3][4] She has served on the board of the National Book Trust of Uganda since its inception in 1997.[5]

"She trained as a nursery nurse and worked for a year in England after studying a course in children's psychology. She later earned a diploma in Library Science from Bayero University Kano in Nigeria before working as a librarian at the university. She returned to Uganda in 1986 to work with the Uganda Public Libraries Board while running a children's library service in Kampala. In 1991, Barongo won a two-month scholarship at the International Youth Library in Munich.[5]

"Barongo has undertaken children’s projects in Sweden, South Africa, and the United States. She writes in both English and Runyoro, her mother tongue. Her books are marketed in Europe and have won her several awards, among which is the NABOTU author of the year in 2008. Barongo is now retired from active civil service but owns a bookshop in Hoima and continues to write for children and stay involved in children’s reading promotion activities.[5]"

https://muse.jhu.edu/article/376624/summary
(another brief bio)

https://www.ibby.org/news-calendar/latest-news
(with photo - you have to scroll about 1/6 down)

"It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Evangeline Ledi Barongo, long-time president of IBBY Uganda and admired member of our community.

"She was a founding member of the Uganda Children's Writers and Illustrators Association (UCWIA), as well as member of the Reading Association of Uganda (RAU), and the Uganda Library and Information Association (ULIA), and also served on the board of the National Book Trust of Uganda (NABOTU) since its formation in 1997.

"Ms Barongo was a passionate reading promoter both in Uganda and abroad, a recognised member of the academic community and a beloved author for children. Her books were published in English and in Runyoro, her native language, and won several awards in the book community at local and international levels, including the NABOTU Children's Author of the Year in 2004 and 2008.

"IBBY’s thoughts are with IBBY Uganda, with her family and loved ones."

https://m.facebook.com/UCWIA/posts/555236489981533/
(with condolence notes)

From 2012:

https://www.observer.ug/education/85-education/18104--author-barongos-love-for-children

Written by Racheal Ninsiima

First half:

"Nakka was a child born in sorrow. Abandoned by her parents at an early age, she took to the streets in Kampala where she survived on handouts.

"She longed to attend school but even a librarian who once found her reading banished her from the library given her dirty clothes. But Nakka dared to dream and once, she approached Evangeline Barongo, a children’s librarian at the National Library of Uganda, declaring her interest to read.

“ 'Teacher, let me read also,' she pleaded. Without hesitation, Barongo gave her a try.

"To Barongo’s surprise, Nakka could and henceforth, she mentored and tutored her. And from Nakku’s life experiences, Barongo has written a 24-page book My Name Is Street Child, Beggar. The book is available in various languages including Portuguese and Zambian local languages. Since Nakku’s story, Barongo has authored over 15 children’s books and last month, she was awarded, ‘Author of the month’ by Femrite (Uganda Women Writers Association), an organization that aims at developing and promoting women writers among other objectives.

“ 'For a person to win this award, one must have written and published several books in different anthologies and Barongo fulfils these qualifications,' Tino Akware, the programmes assistant at Femrite said.

"Barongo grew up reading since her mother loved to read.

“ 'Reading the Bible was compulsory and it was the book that made up the home library,' she recalls.

"Gradually, she started writing simple literature while she was in primary five and engaged in professional writing in 1992 when she was a children’s librarian at the Uganda Public Library. She had originally trained as a nursery nurse and worked for a year in England after studying a course in children’s psychology.

"She later earned a diploma in Library Science from Bayero University in Nigeria before working as a librarian at the university. She returned to Uganda in 1986 to work with the Uganda Public Libraries Board while running a children’s library service in Kampala. In 1991, Barongo won a two-month scholarship at the International Youth Library in Munich..."

https://wikiuganda.wordpress.com/2015/03/02/evangeline-barongo-an-author-with-a-heart-for-children/
(from 2015, this has more details about the street child)

https://www.ibby.org/awards-activities/activities/books-for-africa-books-from-africa/picture-books?tx_exhibition_books%5Baction%5D=show&tx_exhibition_books%5Bbook%5D=36&tx_exhibition_books%5Bcontroller%5D=Book&cHash=6489efe128b9be0f36bb101d5bb8495d
(about the book based on that story)

Incredibly, I can't find more book covers - or book reviews!