Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 13:40:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: R.I.P. Steve Jenkins, 69, in Dec. 2021 (Caldecott Honoree: "What Do
You Do with a Tail Like This?" 2003)
From: lenona321@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:40 UTC

He died in Boulder, Colorado.

"What Do You Do with a Tail like This?" was co-written by his wife, Robin Page.

About that one:

("A nose for digging? Ears for seeing? Eyes that squirt blood? Explore the many amazing things animals can do with their ears, eyes, mouths, noses, feet, and tails in this interactive guessing book, beautifully illustrated in cut-paper collage...")

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/childrens/childrens-authors/article/88266-obituary-steve-jenkins.html
(with photo)

By Shannon Maughan | Jan 11, 2022

Last three paragraphs:

....In all, Jenkins created more than 80 books for young readers. Though it’s a profession he came to by serendipity, it proved a perfect fit. “For me, making children’s books represents the happy intersection of children, science, art, my design partnership with Robin, and my lifelong love of reading,” he said in a SATA interview. Several new books are forthcoming from Jenkins and Page this year, including two additions to Jenkins’s By the Numbers series featuring infographics, and two picture books, Animal Toolkit and The Bird Book.

Margaret Raymo, executive editor at Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, was Jenkins’s longtime editor during her tenure at HMH. Last month she announced LBYR’s acquisition of Why Do Elephants Have Big Ears? and a second nonfiction picture book by Jenkins and Page, scheduled for 2023. Raymo shared this remembrance of her author and friend: “It’s hard to imagine not being able to pick up the phone and call Steve to talk about his latest project. Over the last 25 years we worked on over 50 books together. His curiosity and passion for science and the natural world was boundless. He always had new ideas percolating—the hard thing was to decide which one to work on next. Whether talking about evolution, infographics, beetles, dinosaurs, dogs, sharks, Mount Everest, or the solar system, he wanted to get kids excited about science. Many of his books he co-created with his wife Robin Page, their collaborations as creative and as seamless as their longtime marriage. His myriad books are an amazing legacy of a truly exceptional human being.”

At Simon & Schuster, where Jenkins published a number of titles, Andrea Welch, executive editor of Beach Lane Books, offered this tribute: “I so admired his extraordinary design sensibility and the way he infused his creatures with a special spark that made them feel almost alive. He had a thoughtful and uncommonly mellow manner—always laced with a touch of humor— that made him a true pleasure to work with. He was so wonderfully mellow, in fact, that his art directors and I noted we always felt significantly calmer after speaking with him. We will miss Steve very much, but it is comforting to know that his fascinating and gorgeous books will continue captivating children for many years to come.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/16/books/steve-jenkins-dead.html

"Steve Jenkins, 69, Dies; His Children’s Books Brought Science to Life
In plain language, he answered many burning questions: How do you catch a fly? What do animals do the day they’re born? How loud is a lion’s roar?"

By Penelope Green.

Last paragraphs (it's a long one):

....Over the years, Mr. Jenkins found himself increasingly frustrated by society’s creep toward creationism and other questionable science. The idea that evolution should be considered theory and not scientific fact, or that it shouldn’t be taught at all, particularly roiled him.

A gentle, soft-spoken man whose conversational style often soothed others, he was stunned a decade or so ago when he delivered a speech to a group of educators about the dangers of ignoring scientific data or manipulating facts for political gain or financial profit, and some in the audience walked out.

“Understanding how science works means that we know how to think critically about things,” he said that day, “that we can observe things as they really appear to be, rather than as we are told they are, formulate new ideas about those things, and test them against what we already know.

“This kind of thinking,” he added, “is essential if we want to preserve some sort of control over our lives and our culture.”

https://www.stevejenkinsbooks.com/about-1
(his site)

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=591550060&rlz=1CALYMZ_enUS1088&q=steve+jenkins+books&tbm=isch&source=lnms&prmd=isbnvhmtz&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi2qOPJ85SDAxUDrokEHcZCBokQ0pQJegQIDhAB&biw=1920&bih=929&dpr=1
(book covers)

https://www.kpl.gov/collection/steve-jenkins-1952-2022/
(more covers, in remembrance)

https://www.mystorytimecorner.com/steve-jenkins-robin-page-author-study/
(descriptions)

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/author/steve-jenkins/
(73 Kirkus reviews)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/27541.Steve_Jenkins

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22steve+jenkins%22+interview+robin&sca_esv=591550060&rlz=1CALYMZ_enUS1088&ei=RRh-ZbnOD_nNptQPlNmvuAE&ved=0ahUKEwj5hNvu9JSDAxX5pokEHZTsCxcQ4dUDCBA&uact=5&oq=%22steve+jenkins%22+interview+robin&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiHyJzdGV2ZSBqZW5raW5zIiBpbnRlcnZpZXcgcm9iaW4yBRAhGKABMgUQIRigATIFECEYoAEyCBAhGBYYHhgdSOIPUIsEWIMNcAF4AJABAJgBqwGgAa8GqgEDMC42uAEDyAEA-AEBwgIFECEYqwLiAwQYASBBiAYB&sclient=gws-wiz-serp
(interviews)

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=591550060&rlz=1CALYMZ_enUS1088&hl=en&q=steve+jenkins+books&tbm=vid&source=lnms&prmd=isbnvhmtz&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjz6ZPU85SDAxUApIkEHZJsDbMQ0pQJegQIDhAB&biw=1920&bih=929&dpr=1
(read-alouds)

WORKS
WRITINGS:
Duck's Breath and Mouse Pie: A Collection of Animal Superstitions, Ticknor & Fields (New York, NY), 1994 .

Biggest, Strongest, Fastest, Ticknor & Fields Books for Young Readers (New York, NY), 1995.

Looking Down, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 1995 .

Big & Little, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 1996.

What Do You Do When Something Wants to Eat You?, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 1997.

Hottest, Coldest, Highest, Deepest, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 1998.

The Top of the World: Climbing Mount Everest, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 1999.

Slap, Squeak, & Scatter: How Animals Communicate, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 2001.

Life on Earth: The Story of Evolution, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 2002.

Actual Size, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 2004 .

Prehistoric Actual Size, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 2005.

Almost Gone: The World's Rarest Animals, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 2006..

Dogs and Cats, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 2007 .

(Self-illustrated) Living Color, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 2007.

Down, Down, Down: A Journey to the Bottom of the Sea, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA), 2009.

Never Smile at a Monkey: And 17 Other Important Things to Remember, Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (Boston, MA), 2009 .

Just a Second: A Different Way to Look at Time, Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (Boston, MA), 2009.

Bones: Skeletons and How They Work, Scholastic Reference (New York, NY), 2010.

The Beetle Book, Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (Boston, MA), 2012.

WITH WIFE, ROBIN PAGE
Animals in Flight, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 2001.

What Do You Do with a Tail Like This?, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 2003.

I See a Kookaburra! Discovering Animal Habitats around the World, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 2005.

Move!, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 2006 .

How Many Ways … Can You Catch a Fly?, Houghton Mifflin Company (Boston, MA), 2008.

Sisters & Brothers: Sibling Relationships in the Animal World, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 2008.

How to Clean a Hippopotamus: A Look at Unusual Animal Partnerships, Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (Boston, MA), 2010 .

(Self-illustrated) Time for a Bath, Houghton Mifflin (New York, NY), 2011.

(Self-illustrated) Time to Eat, Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (Boston, MA), 2011.

(Self-illustrated) Time to Sleep, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 2011.

(Self-illustrated) My First Day, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 2013.

ILLUSTRATOR:
Marc Robinson, Cock-a- doodle-doo! What Does It Sound Like to You?, Stewart, Tabori & Chang (New York, NY), 1993 .

Linda Capus Riley, Elephants Swim, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 1995.

Sneed B. Collard III, Animal Dads, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 1997.

Pat Mora, This Big Sky, Scholastic (New York, NY), 1998 .

Sneed B. Collard III, Making Animal Babies, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 2000.

Deborah Lee Rose, Into the A, B, Sea: An Ocean Alphabet, Scholastic Press (New York, NY), 2000.

Anne Rockwell, Bugs Are Insects, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 2001.

Deborah Lee Rose, One Nighttime Sea, Scholastic Press (New York, NY), 2003.

Brenda Z. Guiberson, Rain, Rain, Rain Forest, Henry Holt (New York, NY), 2004.

Alvin Jenkins, Next Stop, Neptune: Experiencing the Solar System, Houghton Mifflin (Boston, MA), 2004.

Wendy Pfeffer, Wiggling Worms at Work, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 2004.

Betsy Franco, Bird Songs: A Backwards Counting Book, Margaret K. McElderry Books (New York, NY), 2006.

April Pulley Sayre, Vulture View, Henry Holt (New York, NY), 2007.

Valerie Worth, Animal Poems, Farrar, Straus & Giroux (New York, NY), 2007.

Betsy Franco, Bees, Snails, & Peacock Tails: Patterns & Shapes—Naturally, Margaret K. McElderry Books (New York, NY), 2008.

Mem Fox, Hello, Baby!, Beach Lane Books (New York, NY), 2009.

Wendy Pfeffer, Life in a Coral Reef, Collins (New York, NY), 2009.

Click here to read the complete article