Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 08:47:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: R.I.P. Christos Dimos, 53, in Sept. 2022 (Greek illustrator & HCAA finalist)
From: lenona321@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:47 UTC

He was nominated for the Hans Christian Andersen Award in 2018.

He also did animation work. One film was the 1996 "Space Jam," with Michael Jordan.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1108970/

"Died September 2, 2022 · Ioannina, Greece (long illness)"

https://www.ibby.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Christos_Dimos-compressed.pdf
(resume and long booklist - it's not clear how many are actually available in English - there are also some book covers)

https://www.ibby.org/subnavigation/archives/hans-christian-andersen-awards/2018
(includes this profile - scroll halfway down)

"Christos Dimos grew up in a small village close to Ioannina. From a young age he liked to sketch and draw. Later on, this love for sketching took him to Athens, where he studied illustration, drawing, caricature and comic at Ornerakis School of Applied Arts and was introduced to animation design. For ten years he worked as an animator in advertising and video productions in Athens and in London. He returned to Greece in 1997 to devote himself to illustration and has since illustrated 118 books.

"The first book that he both wrote and illustrated, Ntomatas-Patatias (Mr Tomato-Potato), was published in 2005 and was also dramatized for schools. His best known books include Mia fora ki enan kero itan tris magi sofi ke vasiliades (Once upon a time there were three magicians and kings, 2006) by G. Myrat, which was shortlisted for the Greek National Awards. The most recent titles are I magiki kolokitha (The magic pumpkin, 2017) by A. Zamanopoulos and O Agisilaos sti dimotiki vivliothili (Agesilaus in the library, 2017) by J. Diakomanolis. His work has featured in many exhibitions nationally and internationally and has been shown in many exhibitions, including the BIB.

"Christos Dimos enjoys mixing watercolours, ecoline colours, gouaches and colour pencils. He also uses outline with ink to create a sketch effect. He is a meticulous researcher of the work of European book illustrators, particularly from the 1930s, when artists used strong, black contours and painstakingly took care of every little detail. This has influenced the detailing in his pictures and the black lines that 'build' the figures without imprisoning movement. Christos also shares his passion for drawing and illustration with children through teaching. He has said: Through my work, I hope that my illustrations feed and free children’s imagination while also develop their aesthetics, learn about themselves and the world around them.."