Hors d'oeuvres -- a ham sandwich cut into forty pieces. -- Jack Benny

arts / rec.arts.books.childrens / Re: Emil and the Detectives and The Land of Cockaigne

SubjectAuthor
* Emil and the Detectives and The Land of CockaigneSteve Hayes
+* Re: Emil and the Detectives and The Land of CockaigneJoerg Walther
|`* Re: Emil and the Detectives and The Land of CockaigneSteve Hayes
| `- Re: Emil and the Detectives and The Land of CockaigneJoerg Walther
`- Re: Emil and the Detectives and The Land of CockaigneJoerg Walther

1
Emil and the Detectives and The Land of Cockaigne

<n2gq0jd90bnv0ljm1b973ujv4qd1ml39i5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1887&group=rec.arts.books.childrens#1887

From: hayesstw@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens,rec.arts.books,alt.books,alt.literature
Subject: Emil and the Detectives and The Land of Cockaigne
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 13:47:44 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 11:47 UTC

When I was at school I read a book containing two stories:

Emil and the Detectives
and
The Land of Cockaigne

Both were, I believe, written by German authors between the world
wars, and I wonder whether anyone else remembers reading them.

Just about the only thing I remember about "The Land of Cockaigne" was
that it had hens going about dragging frying pans, and laying eggs
that were immediatelt friend and ready to eat.

A few years later I read the song "Big Rock Candy Mountain" which
seemed to embody the same concept, though it was of American rather
than German origin.

--
Stephen Hayes, Author of The Year of the Dragon
Sample or purchase The Year of the Dragon:

Re: Emil and the Detectives and The Land of Cockaigne

<la2r0j9j0kjjgraig6ojlivnal2em7unqm@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1888&group=rec.arts.books.childrens#1888

From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens,rec.arts.books,alt.books,alt.literature
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 18:58:25 +0200
 by: Joerg Walther - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 16:58 UTC

Steve Hayes wrote:

>Emil and the Detectives
>and
>The Land of Cockaigne
>
>Both were, I believe, written by German authors between the world
>wars, and I wonder whether anyone else remembers reading them.

I only know Emil und die Detektive, written by Erich Kästner. In fact,
this one is still very popular in Germany and I have read it more than
once with my 5th graders. It has been turned into a film 3 times, the
oldest one is from 1931 and the script was written by Billy Wilder, who
later made it big in Hollywood. I would definitely recommend this for
watching, it's so lovingly made and it shows the old Berlin from before
the war but I do not know if an English version, whether synchronized or
subtitled, is available.

-jw-

Re: Emil and the Detectives and The Land of Cockaigne

<4g6r0j1lfnfmmshecf1r7k8snhih04rp3d@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1889&group=rec.arts.books.childrens#1889

From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens,rec.arts.books,alt.books,alt.literature
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 20:09:30 +0200
 by: Joerg Walther - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 18:09 UTC

Steve Hayes wrote:

>Just about the only thing I remember about "The Land of Cockaigne" was
>that it had hens going about dragging frying pans, and laying eggs
>that were immediatelt friend and ready to eat.

OK, I found it, it is a fairy tale by Ludwig Bechstein, it is called "Im
Schlaraffenland" (Land of Plenty or Cockaigne), you can find the German
version here: https://www.maerchenstern.de/maerchen/schlaraffenland.php
and if you do not speak German let Google translate it for you. :)

-jw-

Re: Emil and the Detectives and The Land of Cockaigne

<0oit0jh2umv9d8kh6b692heknuaq181bha@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1890&group=rec.arts.books.childrens#1890

From: hayesstw@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens,rec.arts.books,alt.books,alt.literature
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 17:46:49 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 15:46 UTC

On Wed, 03 Apr 2024 18:58:25 +0200, Joerg Walther
<joerg.walther@magenta.de> wrote:

>Steve Hayes wrote:
>
>>Emil and the Detectives
>>and
>>The Land of Cockaigne
>>
>>Both were, I believe, written by German authors between the world
>>wars, and I wonder whether anyone else remembers reading them.
>
>I only know Emil und die Detektive, written by Erich Kästner. In fact,
>this one is still very popular in Germany and I have read it more than
>once with my 5th graders. It has been turned into a film 3 times, the
>oldest one is from 1931 and the script was written by Billy Wilder, who
>later made it big in Hollywood. I would definitely recommend this for
>watching, it's so lovingly made and it shows the old Berlin from before
>the war but I do not know if an English version, whether synchronized or
>subtitled, is available.

Thanks very much. Good to see that it is still popular with today's
kids. Some say that they won't like it because there are no cell
phones etc.

--
Stephen Hayes, Author of The Year of the Dragon
Sample or purchase The Year of the Dragon:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/907935
Web site: http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm
Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com
E-mail: shayes@dunelm.org.uk or if you use Gmail hayesstw@telkomsa.net

Re: Emil and the Detectives and The Land of Cockaigne

<ubrt0jh22m0gkplono124u37vsvnj4vfpa@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=1891&group=rec.arts.books.childrens#1891

From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens,rec.arts.books,alt.books,alt.literature
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 20:12:39 +0200
 by: Joerg Walther - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 18:12 UTC

Steve Hayes wrote:

>Thanks very much. Good to see that it is still popular with today's
>kids. Some say that they won't like it because there are no cell
>phones etc.

I've never noticed this, probably because the story is both suspenseful
and funny.

-jw-