From: onorio.catenacci.3@gmail.com.invalid (Onorio Catenacci)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books
Subject: Good Public Domain Books
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 20:14:56 -0400
 by: Onorio Catenacci - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 00:14 UTC

Hi all,

I'm assuming this is the right place to discuss books.

I've seen a few excellent public domain books that I just wanted to
mention in case others might care to give them a look:

"Lady Molly of Scotland Yard" by Baroness Orczy

I got the notion of reading this via a 1970's BBC series called "The
Rivals of Sherlock Holmes". Well done TV program. The Baroness, who is
much better known for "The Scarlet Pimpernel," can certainly write an
entertaining mystery story and Lady Molly is a great detective.

"The Dorrington Deed-Box" by Arthur Morrison

Another one picked up from "Rivals of Sherlock Holmes". Rather
interesting if for no other reason than the central character in the
stories is, well, pretty much a scoundrel who passes himself off as a
detective.

"Max Carrados" by Ernst Bramah

I'm sure some of you are spotting a trend--yet another one discovered
from "Rivals of Sherlock Holmes". I have to hand it to Victorian
authors; they had a wide breadth of creative and novel approaches to the
detective story. In this case the detective, Max Carrados, is blind but
he's as good at his job as any sighted detective.

"The New Arabian Nights" by Robert Louis Stevenson

This one I discovered via Golden Age radio. There were several
dramatizations of the first story in this book "The Suicide Club" and
since I found the story so compelling as drama I decided to read the
book it came from. A good decision on my part.

Anyone else have suggestions for good public domain reading?

--
oc

Re: Good Public Domain Books

<slrnug8994.50d.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=2191&group=rec.arts.books#2191

From: maus@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books
Subject: Re: Good Public Domain Books
Date: 15 Sep 2023 09:34:28 GMT
 by: maus - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:34 UTC

On 2023-09-15, Onorio Catenacci <onorio.catenacci.3@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm assuming this is the right place to discuss books.
>
> I've seen a few excellent public domain books that I just wanted to
> mention in case others might care to give them a look:
>
> "Lady Molly of Scotland Yard" by Baroness Orczy
>
> I got the notion of reading this via a 1970's BBC series called "The
> Rivals of Sherlock Holmes". Well done TV program. The Baroness, who is
> much better known for "The Scarlet Pimpernel," can certainly write an
> entertaining mystery story and Lady Molly is a great detective.
>

> "The Dorrington Deed-Box" by Arthur Morrison
>
> Another one picked up from "Rivals of Sherlock Holmes". Rather
> interesting if for no other reason than the central character in the
> stories is, well, pretty much a scoundrel who passes himself off as a
> detective.
>
> "Max Carrados" by Ernst Bramah
>
> I'm sure some of you are spotting a trend--yet another one discovered
> from "Rivals of Sherlock Holmes". I have to hand it to Victorian
> authors; they had a wide breadth of creative and novel approaches to the
> detective story. In this case the detective, Max Carrados, is blind but
> he's as good at his job as any sighted detective.
>
> "The New Arabian Nights" by Robert Louis Stevenson
>
> This one I discovered via Golden Age radio. There were several
> dramatizations of the first story in this book "The Suicide Club" and
> since I found the story so compelling as drama I decided to read the
> book it came from. A good decision on my part.
>
> Anyone else have suggestions for good public domain reading?

Just as you say, and I should also mention "http://gutenberg.org" as a
place to find such books.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Where are all our people gone.?

Re: Good Public Domain Books

<ue1o71$399fk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=2193&group=rec.arts.books#2193

From: onorio.catenacci.3@gmail.com.invalid (Onorio Catenacci)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 10:03:13 -0400
 by: Onorio Catenacci - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 14:03 UTC

On 9/15/23 5:34 AM, maus wrote:
> On 2023-09-15, Onorio Catenacci <onorio.catenacci.3@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm assuming this is the right place to discuss books.
>>
>> I've seen a few excellent public domain books that I just wanted to
>> mention in case others might care to give them a look:
>>
>> "Lady Molly of Scotland Yard" by Baroness Orczy
>>
>> I got the notion of reading this via a 1970's BBC series called "The
>> Rivals of Sherlock Holmes". Well done TV program. The Baroness, who is
>> much better known for "The Scarlet Pimpernel," can certainly write an
>> entertaining mystery story and Lady Molly is a great detective.
>>

>> "The Dorrington Deed-Box" by Arthur Morrison
>>
>> Another one picked up from "Rivals of Sherlock Holmes". Rather
>> interesting if for no other reason than the central character in the
>> stories is, well, pretty much a scoundrel who passes himself off as a
>> detective.
>>
>> "Max Carrados" by Ernst Bramah
>>
>> I'm sure some of you are spotting a trend--yet another one discovered
>> from "Rivals of Sherlock Holmes". I have to hand it to Victorian
>> authors; they had a wide breadth of creative and novel approaches to the
>> detective story. In this case the detective, Max Carrados, is blind but
>> he's as good at his job as any sighted detective.
>>
>> "The New Arabian Nights" by Robert Louis Stevenson
>>
>> This one I discovered via Golden Age radio. There were several
>> dramatizations of the first story in this book "The Suicide Club" and
>> since I found the story so compelling as drama I decided to read the
>> book it came from. A good decision on my part.
>>
>> Anyone else have suggestions for good public domain reading?
>>

> Just as you say, and I should also mention "http://gutenberg.org" as a
> place to find such books.

Good point Maus! I should probably have included links. :-)

--
oc

Re: Good Public Domain Books

<slrnug8pr2.9h1.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=2194&group=rec.arts.books#2194

From: maus@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books
Date: 15 Sep 2023 14:17:06 GMT
 by: maus - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 14:17 UTC

On 2023-09-15, Onorio Catenacci <onorio.catenacci.3@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> On 9/15/23 5:34 AM, maus wrote:
>> On 2023-09-15, Onorio Catenacci <onorio.catenacci.3@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm assuming this is the right place to discuss books.
>>>
>>> book it came from. A good decision on my part.
>>>
>>> Anyone else have suggestions for good public domain reading?
>>>

>> Just as you say, and I should also mention "http://gutenberg.org" as a
>> place to find such books.
>>

> Good point Maus! I should probably have included links. :-)

A lot has changed in the world since "The Classics", were published,
religion has largely faded away. Romance has changed since the arrival
of the pill, and the modern theme of meeting a person and joining them
in having sex with them on the same evening has taken the charm of
relationships away. No

--
greymausg@mail.com
Where are all our people gone.?
Gone to graveyards, (almost) everyone. Even the vile Influencers.

Re: Good Public Domain Books

<0001HW.2AC110D70058A39130AEF938F@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=2208&group=rec.arts.books#2208

Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 17:50:31 -0700
From: plutedpup@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books
 by: Pluted Pup - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 00:50 UTC

On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 02:34:28 -0700, maus wrote:

> On 2023-09-15, Onorio Catenacci<onorio.catenacci.3@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm assuming this is the right place to discuss books.
> >
> > I've seen a few excellent public domain books that I just wanted to
> > mention in case others might care to give them a look:
> >
> > "Lady Molly of Scotland Yard" by Baroness Orczy
> >
> > I got the notion of reading this via a 1970's BBC series called "The
> > Rivals of Sherlock Holmes". Well done TV program. The Baroness, who is
> > much better known for "The Scarlet Pimpernel," can certainly write an
> > entertaining mystery story and Lady Molly is a great detective.
> >

> > "The Dorrington Deed-Box" by Arthur Morrison
> >
> > Another one picked up from "Rivals of Sherlock Holmes". Rather
> > interesting if for no other reason than the central character in the
> > stories is, well, pretty much a scoundrel who passes himself off as a
> > detective.
> >
> > "Max Carrados" by Ernst Bramah
> >
> > I'm sure some of you are spotting a trend--yet another one discovered
> > from "Rivals of Sherlock Holmes". I have to hand it to Victorian
> > authors; they had a wide breadth of creative and novel approaches to the
> > detective story. In this case the detective, Max Carrados, is blind but
> > he's as good at his job as any sighted detective.
> >
> > "The New Arabian Nights" by Robert Louis Stevenson
> >
> > This one I discovered via Golden Age radio. There were several
> > dramatizations of the first story in this book "The Suicide Club" and
> > since I found the story so compelling as drama I decided to read the
> > book it came from. A good decision on my part.
> >
> > Anyone else have suggestions for good public domain reading?
>
> Just as you say, and I should also mention "http://gutenberg.org" as a
> place to find such books.

Gutenberg has more common books in text format, what can usually

be found in reprinted form in books.

archive.org is my first choice followed by

books.google.com

They have facsimiles of books and magazines
that have never been reprinted since the original
copies.

Re: Good Public Domain Books

<slrnuh2c4o.5km.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=2212&group=rec.arts.books#2212

From: maus@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books
Date: 25 Sep 2023 07:02:48 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 07:02 UTC

On 2023-09-25, Pluted Pup <plutedpup@outlook.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 02:34:28 -0700, maus wrote:
>
>> On 2023-09-15, Onorio Catenacci<onorio.catenacci.3@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I'm assuming this is the right place to discuss books.
>> >
>> > I've seen a few excellent public domain books that I just wanted to
>> > mention in case others might care to give them a look:
>> >
>> > "Lady Molly of Scotland Yard" by Baroness Orczy
>> >
>> > I got the notion of reading this via a 1970's BBC series called "The
>> > Rivals of Sherlock Holmes". Well done TV program. The Baroness, who is
>> > much better known for "The Scarlet Pimpernel," can certainly write an
>> > entertaining mystery story and Lady Molly is a great detective.
>> >

>> > "The Dorrington Deed-Box" by Arthur Morrison
>> >
> archive.org is my first choice followed by
> books.google.com

I tend to avoid anything with `google' in it

> They have facsimiles of books and magazines
> that have never been reprinted since the original
> copies.

Perhaps wisely!

--
greymausg@mail.com
Death to the influencers, hung, drawn and cut up is more than they deserve.