Newsgroups: rec.arts.books
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 22:50:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The real problem with obesity
From: ibshambat@gmail.com (Ilya Shambat)
 by: Ilya Shambat - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 05:50 UTC

When I was writing on the Internet about undesirability of obesity, people were accusing me of thinking with my penis and they were accusing me of being a sham.

There are however greater problems with obesity than its unsightliness. Probably the biggest one is that it is overconsumption of resources. Overconsumption to the point that it is no longer even good for the person doing it.

It’s like driving a Hummer or having a giant house. In all cases, resources are being overconsumed. And that is a much greater problem than obesity being unpleasant to behold.

Now there are some people who appear to be genetically predisposed to obesity. I don’t hate such people; I feel sorry for them. Having been hormonally delayed as a teen, I know what it’s like to be unattractive at critical age. These people are right to confront mistreatment against them. However I don’t think that even they actually want to be obese. They don’t want to be mistreated for being obese, but I don’t think that obesity is actually their ideal. Most of them would be happy to lose the weight if it was done in a way that they can handle.

I’ve been with women who were overweight, and I didn’t count it against them. One of my favorite memories is having sex outside a Catholic convent with a woman who was heavy and wheelchair-bound. I didn’t count her being overweight against her. She had an excuse. She was wheelchair-bound. And yes, she was quite good.

The bigger problem is that there are now many people who are obese who haven’t been obese before. Right now obesity is no longer limited to people who are genetically predisposed to it. There are all sorts of people who have been healthy before who are not healthy now. That is a bad demographic trend. So that while it is right to confront abuse against such people, it is also important to look at it from societal perspective and see what is good for the world and what is not.

Once again, the biggest problem here is not aesthetic, it is ethical. We are dealing with overconsumption of resources. Now the people who are obese are not generally the same people as ones who drive Hummers and have huge houses; but both are guilty of the same wrong. They are overconsuming resources. And it is done in such a way that it is no longer even good for them.

The overweight have the right to defend themselves from people who would discriminate against them. However I don’t think that these people actually want to be overweight. They will be interested in slimming down if they found the right way to do it.

I had a conversation about this with a psychologist, where I asked if the solution to this problem was accepting that the person is fat or encouraging the person to get healthy. He said that there was a need for both. Don’t mistreat the person but guide them correctly. Offer them acceptance as people. And from that situation influence the person correctly to result in the person doing the right thing.