From: tzod9964@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Subject: Re: "BEAT-L: Beat Generation List" found
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 20:04:30 +0000
 by: General-Zod - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 20:04 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 6:50:17 PM UTC-4, General-Zod wrote:
>> Will Dockery wrote:

Here is a thread about the movie that was never made, Sean Penn as Neal cassady and Brad Pitt as Jack Kerouac:

https://www.beatsupernovarasa.com/Lectures/FileBEAT-LLOG950612.htm

Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 20:33:48 EDT

Sender: "BEAT-L: Beat Generation List" <BEAT-L@CUNYVM.BITNET>

From: Bill Gargan <WXGBC@CUNYVM.BITNET>

Subject: otr film

I've heard rumors that Francis Ford Coppola is casting Sean Penn as Dean

and Brad Pitt as Sal Paradise. Kerouac said that he thought Marlon

Brando should have played Dean and Montgomery Clift Sal. Just to get

the ball rolling on this discussion group, what do you think? What pair

of actors would you cast as the ideal Dean Moriarty and Sal Paradise?

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 08:28:01 EDT

Sender: "BEAT-L: Beat Generation List" <BEAT-L@CUNYVM.BITNET>

From: "Stedman, Jim" <JSTEDMAN@NMU.EDU>

Subject: Re: otr film

>I've heard rumors that Francis Ford Coppola is casting Sean Penn as Dean

>and Brad Pitt as Sal Paradise. Kerouac said that he thought Marlon

>Brando should have played Dean and Montgomery Clift Sal. Just to get

>the ball rolling on this discussion group, what do you think? What pair

>of actors would you cast as the ideal Dean Moriarty and Sal Paradise?

If the above rumour is true, then it substantiates the rumour that

Mr. Coppola is in the biz for the bucks.

Sean Penn and Brad Pitt are fine kid actors... cutey pies. I don't

think that's what's needed for OTR, though. Actually, I don't think the

lead characters need to be necessarily be kids (or those faces we

automatically relate-to as kids'... Michael J Fox, for instance).

Wouldn't it be great to see Lyle Lovett play Dean?

Just like when OTR was announced as a books-on-tape, I'm eagerly

awaiting the product, but I don't expect to be enchanted by the

thing. Besides, I think Dharma Bums and Subteranneans would make

better films.

Jim

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 09:28:45 EDT

Sender: "BEAT-L: Beat Generation List" <BEAT-L@CUNYVM.BITNET>

From: Bill Gargan <WXGBC@CUNYVM.BITNET>

On Thu, 8 Jun 1995 08:28:01 EDT Stedman, Jim said:

>>I've heard rumors that Francis Ford Coppola is casting Sean Penn as Dean

>>and Brad Pitt as Sal Paradise. Kerouac said that he thought Marlon

>>Brando should have played Dean and Montgomery Clift Sal. Just to get

>>the ball rolling on this discussion group, what do you think? What pair

>>of actors would you cast as the ideal Dean Moriarty and Sal Paradise?

>If the above rumour is true, then it substantiates the rumour that

>Mr. Coppola is in the biz for the bucks.

>Sean Penn and Brad Pitt are fine kid actors... cutey pies. I don't

>think that's what's needed for OTR, though. Actually, I don't think the

>lead characters need to be necessarily be kids (or those faces we

>automatically relate-to as kids'... Michael J Fox, for instance).

>Wouldn't it be great to see Lyle Lovett play Dean?

>Just like when OTR was announced as a books-on-tape, I'm eagerly

>awaiting the product, but I don't expect to be enchanted by the

>thing. Besides, I think Dharma Bums and Subteranneans would make

>better films.

>Jim

The Subterraneans was made into a movie in 1960. George Peppard played

Leo Percepied and Leslie Caron played Mardou Fox. It was full of

gratuitious violence. Kerouac was furious about it.

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 10:11:34 -0400

Sender: "BEAT-L: Beat Generation List" <BEAT-L@CUNYVM.BITNET>

From: "Mark S. Gordon" <ab797@OSFN.RHILINET.GOV>

I'd rather see Penn and Pitt reverse roles, Penn as Paradise, Pitt as Moriarty.

Pitt is beautiful, no doubt, but he is something of a dunderhead who excels at

"noble savage" type roles. Penn could better carry off the portrayal of the

sensitive and intelligent Sal Paradise, alter-ego of Jack himself. Especially

if Coppola uses a 1st person voiceover narration, I think Pitt would be

disastrous.

I'd like to see Gary Oldman as Paradise and Val Kilmer as Moriarty, but I'm not

picking.

--

Mark S. Gordon

"He not busy being born is busy dying."

"Then he was told: Remember all you have seen, because everything forgotten

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 16:25:56 EDT

Sender: "BEAT-L: Beat Generation List" <BEAT-L@CUNYVM.BITNET>

From: Bill Gargan <WXGBC@CUNYVM.BITNET>

I haven't been able to get to alt.books.beat generation through my

netnews group. Can anyone give me a specific address so that I can try

to subscribe directly? Thanks.

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 15:32:18 -0700

Sender: "BEAT-L: Beat Generation List" <BEAT-L@CUNYVM.BITNET>

From: "Patrick M. Mirucki" <Patriick@IX.NETCOM.COM>

>I haven't been able to get to alt.books.beat generation through my

>netnews group. Can anyone give me a specific address so that I can try

>to subscribe directly? Thanks.

Well..It looks as though your alreaady subscribed to it. I'm currently

subscribed to the Beat Generation List and received your message.

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 11:16:41 +1000

Sender: "BEAT-L: Beat Generation List" <BEAT-L@CUNYVM.BITNET>

From: Brian Lynch <Brian_Lynch@MUWAYF.UNIMELB.EDU.AU>

Subject: OTR casting

I thought the following message was great advice on possible casting for the

film version of On the Road:

***

I'd rather see Penn and Pitt reverse roles, Penn as Paradise, Pitt as

Moriarty.

Pitt is beautiful, no doubt, but he is something of a dunderhead who excels

at

"noble savage" type roles. Penn could better carry off the portrayal of the

sensitive and intelligent Sal Paradise, alter-ego of Jack himself.

Especially

if Coppola uses a 1st person voiceover narration, I think Pitt would be

disastrous.

I'd like to see Gary Oldman as Paradise and Val Kilmer as Moriarty, but I'm

not

picking.

-

Mark S. Gordon

***

Let's not forget that Dean Moriarty was the alter-ego representation for Neil

Cassady, who was very handsome, as well as rugged--Pitt might work well

indeed (I agree that he'd be better off as Dean rather than Sal). Val Kilmer

as Moriarty crossed my mind, too, but I wouldn't want to see the Sal/Kerouac

character come off as less physical than Moriarty--Kerouac, in addition to

vying with Cassady in the handsomeness department, was a good-sized, rugged

guy himself (football at Columbia).

Someone else suggested Lyle Lovett for Moriarty--that would definitely be

interesting, although Lyle would really have to stretch to capture the

speed-rapping manic brilliance of Cassady.

Let's keep those casting suggestions coming! Perhaps we can inspire an

alternative, low-budget counterproposal to the Coppola project!

Click here to read the complete article

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: "BEAT-L: Beat Generation List" found