He who laughs has not yet heard the bad news. -- Bertolt Brecht

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SubjectAuthor
* PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth LongfellowGeorge J. Dance
+- Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth LongfellowGeorge J. Dance
`* Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth LongfellowGeorge J. Dance
 `* Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth LongfellowW.Dockery
  +- Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth LongfellowGeneral-Zod
  `* Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth LongfellowGeorge J. Dance
   +- Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth LongfellowGeneral-Zod
   `* Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth LongfellowMichael Pendragon
    `* Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth LongfellowGeorge J. Dance
     +- Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth LongfellowMichael Pendragon
     +- Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth LongfellowWill Dockery
     `* Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth LongfellowFaraway Star
      `- Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth LongfellowW.Dockery

1
PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

<e94d41715532dd68d4f8d23450fae30e@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=243854&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#243854

From: George J. Dance@news.novabbs.com (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Subject: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 15:37:33 +0000
 by: George J. Dance - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 15:37 UTC

Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
Midnight Mass for the Dying Year, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
[...]
Through woods and mountain-passes
The winds, like anthems, roll;
They are chanting solemn masses,
Singing; Pray for this poor soul.
[...]

(read by Brad Croft)

https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/12/midnight-mass-for-dying-year-henry.html

#pennyspoems

Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

<cf8e2905e5ed2885430aa9048854bd16@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=243917&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#243917

From: George J. Dance@news.novabbs.com (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 02:19:05 +0000
 by: George J. Dance - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 02:19 UTC

On Saturday, December 9, 2023 at 3:21:26 PM UTC-5, Faraway Star wrote:
> On Saturday, December 9, 2023 at 10:40:13 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:
> >
> > Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> > Midnight Mass for the Dying Year, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
> > [...]
> > Through woods and mountain-passes
> > The winds, like anthems, roll;
> > They are chanting solemn masses,
> > Singing; Pray for this poor soul.
> > [...]
> >
> > (read by Brad Croft)
> >
> > https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/12/midnight-mass-for-dying-year-henry.html
> >
> > #pennyspoems

> Quite good

Thanks, Zod; it's a poem that impresses me, too. It's a New Year's Eve poem, and I originally planned to use it that day (with The Second Coming on Dec. 30), but then I decided to move the Yeats poem earlier where it would be more likely to be noticed, and today I decided to move Longfellow's poem, too, as it's a good lead into Yeats. And I think I have a good lead into it, as well, with tomorrow's poem.

Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

<9aa2e6b3d01136e99f75d9bdce7a4238@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=243919&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#243919

From: George J. Dance@news.novabbs.com (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 02:22:37 +0000
 by: George J. Dance - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 02:22 UTC

On Saturday, December 9, 2023 at 11:49:04 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Saturday, December 9, 2023 at 10:40:13 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:
> >
> > Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> > Midnight Mass for the Dying Year, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
> > [...]
> > Through woods and mountain-passes
> > The winds, like anthems, roll;
> > They are chanting solemn masses,
> > Singing; Pray for this poor soul.
> > [...]
> >
> > (read by Brad Croft)
> >
> > https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/12/midnight-mass-for-dying-year-henry.html
> >
> > #pennyspoems
> Good one, and I see second hander NancyGene agrees.
Oh, yeah? Without looking, I'm trying to decide which is more likely: Is NG calling Longfellow's poem "plagiarism" again, or have they completely forgotten doing that? I'm gonna say: they've completely forgotten.

> 🙂

Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

<1fb61df7c6bcdaa951b48fed5b938a5c@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=244253&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244253

From: will.dockery@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 15:29:10 +0000
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 15:29 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> On Saturday, December 9, 2023 at 11:49:04 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
>> On Saturday, December 9, 2023 at 10:40:13 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:
>> >
>> > Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>> > Midnight Mass for the Dying Year, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
>> > [...]
>> > Through woods and mountain-passes
>> > The winds, like anthems, roll;
>> > They are chanting solemn masses,
>> > Singing; Pray for this poor soul.
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > (read by Brad Croft)
>> >
>> > https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/12/midnight-mass-for-dying-year-henry.html
>> >
>> > #pennyspoems
>> Good one, and I see second hander NancyGene agrees.

> Oh, yeah? Without looking, I'm trying to decide which is more likely: Is NG calling Longfellow's poem "plagiarism" again, or have they completely forgotten doing that? I'm gonna say: they've completely forgotten.

I haven't looked, just saw some posts that I skipped and ignored.

>> 🙂

Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

<c9c64ff7557815c3ef2a9dcc582658e2@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=244611&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244611

From: tzod9964@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 11:12:45 +0000
 by: General-Zod - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 11:12 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:

>>> Good one, and I see second hander NancyGene agrees.

>> Oh, yeah? Without looking, I'm trying to decide which is more likely: Is NG calling Longfellow's poem "plagiarism" again, or have they completely forgotten doing that? I'm gonna say: they've completely forgotten.

> I haven't looked, just saw some posts that I skipped and ignored.

Apparently there will soon be less crap like that here as Nova BBS is poised to become the top Usenet venue....

Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

<bbe0151f776d0bc775c9c3e7f84d9d78@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=244678&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244678

From: George J. Dance@news.novabbs.com (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 19:26:22 +0000
 by: George J. Dance - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 19:26 UTC

W.Dockery wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:

>>> Good one, and I see second hander NancyGene agrees.

>> Oh, yeah? Without looking, I'm trying to decide which is more likely: Is NG calling Longfellow's poem "plagiarism" again, or have they completely forgotten doing that? I'm gonna say: they've completely forgotten.

> I haven't looked, just saw some posts that I skipped and ignored.
looked; as I suspected, there's not one word about Longfellow's alleged plagiarism. It's as if NastyGppn doesn't even remembr seeing the poem before.

Both NastyGoon and Michael Monkey remind me of something Rand said in the 60s about college-age youth; that they had patchwork minds. Meaning that could make persuasive cases for any number of theories, but the next time you talked to them they'd argue the exact opposite, with no awareness of what they'd previously said. Minds like patchwork quilts; unintegrated knowledge sitting in their minds in fragments like patches on a quilt.

Here's the poem Longfellow was accused of plagiarizing, BTW; I've had it on PPB for more than a decade:

The Death of the Old Year / Alfred Tennyson:
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2012/12/old-year-tennyson.html

By a strike of good luck, I was able to find videos of the same guy, Brad Craft, reading both poems.

Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

<b1f7d2ed15028afafe5ec51de40b8e8a@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=244799&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244799

From: tzod9964@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 03:19:49 +0000
 by: General-Zod - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 03:19 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>> George J. Dance wrote:

>>> Oh, yeah? Without looking, I'm trying to decide which is more likely: Is NG calling Longfellow's poem "plagiarism" again, or have they completely forgotten doing that? I'm gonna say: they've completely forgotten.

>> I haven't looked, just saw some posts that I skipped and ignored.
> looked; as I suspected, there's not one word about Longfellow's alleged plagiarism. It's as if NastyGppn doesn't even remembr seeing the poem before.

> Both NastyGoon and Michael Monkey remind me of something Rand said in the 60s about college-age youth; that they had patchwork minds. Meaning that could make persuasive cases for any number of theories, but the next time you talked to them they'd argue the exact opposite, with no awareness of what they'd previously said. Minds like patchwork quilts; unintegrated knowledge sitting in their minds in fragments like patches on a quilt.

> Here's the poem Longfellow was accused of plagiarizing, BTW; I've had it on PPB for more than a decade:

> The Death of the Old Year / Alfred Tennyson:
> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2012/12/old-year-tennyson.html

> By a strike of good luck, I was able to find videos of the same guy, Brad Craft, reading both poems.

Yo

Bravo

A bona fide classic!

Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

<f5f6ab12-4dad-4296-bfc6-c0211f48f1c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=244844&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244844

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 14:52:51 -0800 (PST)
From: michaelmaleficapendragon@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 22:52 UTC

On Friday, December 15, 2023 at 2:30:22 PM UTC-5, George J. wrote:
> W.Dockery wrote:
>
> > George J. Dance wrote:

> >> Oh, yeah? Without looking, I'm trying to decide which is more likely: Is NG calling Longfellow's poem "plagiarism" again, or have they completely forgotten doing that? I'm gonna say: they've completely forgotten.
>
> > I haven't looked, just saw some posts that I skipped and ignored.
> looked; as I suspected, there's not one word about Longfellow's alleged plagiarism. It's as if NastyGppn doesn't even remembr seeing the poem before..
>
> Both NastyGoon and Michael Monkey remind me of something Rand said in the 60s about college-age youth; that they had patchwork minds. Meaning that could make persuasive cases for any number of theories, but the next time you talked to them they'd argue the exact opposite, with no awareness of what they'd previously said. Minds like patchwork quilts; unintegrated knowledge sitting in their minds in fragments like patches on a quilt.

Assuming that either of us have ever changed our position on a given topic, we would have done as the result of having acquired additional knowledge on the same.

That is how the accumulation of knowledge works. The introduction of new facts can recast one's understanding of a given topic in a thoroughly different light.

A wise individual, having taken this new knowledge into account, will modify their opinions accordingly.

Conversely, a fool will stick by the same opinion, even in the face of new information to the contrary.

But then, you haven't shown any evidence -- nor even pointed out any specific instances -- of either of us having argued different sides of the same point. The closest you've come is in claiming that NancyGene had accused Longfellow of plagiarism -- without having provided any evidence of her having done so.

> Here's the poem Longfellow was accused of plagiarizing, BTW; I've had it on PPB for more than a decade:
>
> The Death of the Old Year / Alfred Tennyson:
> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2012/12/old-year-tennyson.html
>
> By a strike of good luck, I was able to find videos of the same guy, Brad Craft, reading both poems.

FYI: If NancyGene accused Longfellow of plagiarizing Tennyson, she would have had ample reason for doing so. No less a literary figure than Edgar A. Poe accused him of doing so as well: "The 'Midnight Mass for the Dying Year' is a singular admixture of CORDELIA’S death scene in 'LEAR' and TENNYSON’S 'Death of the Old Year.' A more palpable plagiarism was never committed." Review of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Poems (Text-02), Aristidean, April 1845, pp. 130-142

Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

<2280b292264e24823d51ca9465d545f2@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=244926&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244926

From: George J. Dance@news.novabbs.com (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 09:43:05 +0000
 by: George J. Dance - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 09:43 UTC

On Sunday, December 17, 2023 at 5:52:53 PM UTC-5, Michael Monkey aka "Michael Pendragon" wrote:
> On Friday, December 15, 2023 at 2:30:22 PM UTC-5, George J. wrote:
> > W.Dockery wrote:

> > > I haven't looked, just saw some posts that I skipped and ignored.
> > looked; as I suspected, there's not one word about Longfellow's alleged plagiarism. It's as if NastyGppn doesn't even remember seeing the poem before.
> >
> > Both NastyGoon and Michael Monkey remind me of something Rand said in the 60s about college-age youth; that they had patchwork minds. Meaning that could make persuasive cases for any number of theories, but the next time you talked to them they'd argue the exact opposite, with no awareness of what they'd previously said. Minds like patchwork quilts; unintegrated knowledge sitting in their minds in fragments like patches on a quilt.
> >
> Assuming that either of us have ever changed our position on a given topic, we would have done as the result of having acquired additional knowledge on the same.

There's no reason to think that NastyGoon changed their "position" on Longfellow being a plagiarist. More likely, they just forgot they'd called him one.
> That is how the accumulation of knowledge works. The introduction of new facts can recast one's understanding of a given topic in a thoroughly different light.
>
> A wise individual, having taken this new knowledge into account, will modify their opinions accordingly.
>
> Conversely, a fool will stick by the same opinion, even in the face of new information to the contrary.
>
> But then, you haven't shown any evidence -- nor even pointed out any specific instances -- of either of us having argued different sides of the same point.

Your "reading compression" is as bad as ever, Michael. That was "something Rand said in the 60s about college-age youth" -- nothing to do with you.

> The closest you've come is in claiming that NancyGene had accused Longfellow of plagiarism -- without having provided any evidence of her having done so.

Lying Michael likes to use the "no evidence" lie (though usually after NG deletes their posts). Fortunately, this time the evidence is still in the archives (meaning that NG hasn't deleted it yet):
"Did Longfellow plagiarize from Tennyson? Yes, according to Poe."
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/_B6J_TSgTNI/m/LBE9v7GGAgAJ?hl=en

> > Here's the poem Longfellow was accused of plagiarizing, BTW; I've had it on PPB for more than a decade:
> > The Death of the Old Year / Alfred Tennyson:
> > https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2012/12/old-year-tennyson.html
> >
> > By a strike of good luck, I was able to find videos of the same guy, Brad Craft, reading both poems.
>
> FYI: If NancyGene accused Longfellow of plagiarizing Tennyson, she would have had ample reason for doing so. No less a literary figure than Edgar A. Poe accused him of doing so as well: "The 'Midnight Mass for the Dying Year' is a singular admixture of CORDELIA’S death scene in 'LEAR' and TENNYSON’S 'Death of the Old Year.' A more palpable plagiarism was never committed." Review of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Poems (Text-02), Aristidean, April 1845, pp. 130-142

That's the same quote, and the same argument from authority, as NastyGoon: "Longfellow's a PLAGIARIST because Edgar Allan Pedo said so!"

Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

<90dbc7a9-4c44-4628-8ce2-1df6d354dd94n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=244937&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244937

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 06:33:44 -0800 (PST)
From: michaelmaleficapendragon@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 14:33 UTC

On Tuesday, December 19, 2023 at 4:45:13 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:
> On Sunday, December 17, 2023 at 5:52:53 PM UTC-5, Michael Monkey aka "Michael Pendragon" wrote:

> > > looked; as I suspected, there's not one word about Longfellow's alleged plagiarism. It's as if NastyGppn doesn't even remember seeing the poem before.
> > >
> > > Both NastyGoon and Michael Monkey remind me of something Rand said in the 60s about college-age youth; that they had patchwork minds. Meaning that could make persuasive cases for any number of theories, but the next time you talked to them they'd argue the exact opposite, with no awareness of what they'd previously said. Minds like patchwork quilts; unintegrated knowledge sitting in their minds in fragments like patches on a quilt.
> > >
> > Assuming that either of us have ever changed our position on a given topic, we would have done as the result of having acquired additional knowledge on the same.
> There's no reason to think that NastyGoon changed their "position" on Longfellow being a plagiarist. More likely, they just forgot they'd called him one.

You cannot possibly know whether she changed her mind or forgot.

And, again, you've failed to show any evidence that she'd ever accused him of such in the first place.

Nor, for that matter, have you provided any evidence that she has changed her mind about anything.

In fact, your entire "case" is based upon her failure to respond to your troll post.

Did you ever think that NancyGene skips, ignores, and/or blocks the majority of your posts?

> > That is how the accumulation of knowledge works. The introduction of new facts can recast one's understanding of a given topic in a thoroughly different light.
> >
> > A wise individual, having taken this new knowledge into account, will modify their opinions accordingly.
> >
> > Conversely, a fool will stick by the same opinion, even in the face of new information to the contrary.
> >
> > But then, you haven't shown any evidence -- nor even pointed out any specific instances -- of either of us having argued different sides of the same point.
> Your "reading compression" is as bad as ever, Michael. That was "something Rand said in the 60s about college-age youth" -- nothing to do with you.

George Dunce: "Both NastyGoon and Michael Monkey remind me of something Rand said in the 60s..."

> > The closest you've come is in claiming that NancyGene had accused Longfellow of plagiarism -- without having provided any evidence of her having done so.
> Lying Michael likes to use the "no evidence" lie (though usually after NG deletes their posts). Fortunately, this time the evidence is still in the archives (meaning that NG hasn't deleted it yet):
> "Did Longfellow plagiarize from Tennyson? Yes, according to Poe."
> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/_B6J_TSgTNI/m/LBE9v7GGAgAJ?hl=en

Your reading "compression" is the one that's faulty, Dunce. NancyGene is not accusing Longfellow; she's merely saying that Edgar A. Poe accused Longfellow of plagiarism.

Most scholars are familiar with Poe's "Little Longfellow War." You, it would seem, are not.

> > > Here's the poem Longfellow was accused of plagiarizing, BTW; I've had it on PPB for more than a decade:
> > > The Death of the Old Year / Alfred Tennyson:
> > > https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2012/12/old-year-tennyson.html
> > >
> > > By a strike of good luck, I was able to find videos of the same guy, Brad Craft, reading both poems.
> >
> > FYI: If NancyGene accused Longfellow of plagiarizing Tennyson, she would have had ample reason for doing so. No less a literary figure than Edgar A. Poe accused him of doing so as well: "The 'Midnight Mass for the Dying Year' is a singular admixture of CORDELIA’S death scene in 'LEAR' and TENNYSON’S 'Death of the Old Year.' A more palpable plagiarism was never committed." Review of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Poems (Text-02), Aristidean, April 1845, pp. 130-142
> That's the same quote, and the same argument from authority, as NastyGoon: "Longfellow's a PLAGIARIST because Edgar Allan Pedo said so!"

Were you familiar with Mr. Poe's writings, you would be aware that his accusations against Mr. Longfellow are well known. NancyGene wrote "Did Longfellow plagiarize from Tennyson? Yes, according to Poe." And NancyGene and I have both shown you that Poe did precisely that.

Again, NancyGene did *not* accuse Mr. Longfellow of poetry. She correctly explained that Mr. Poe had accused him of having plagiarized the poem in question.

I shall refrain from asking the obvious question of "Why do you lie so much, Dunce?," because at this point the answer is obvious: to troll.

If you wish to challenge Mr. Poe's accusation, feel free to do so. IMO, Mr.. Poe presented his case quite clearly, and if one understands that in the 19th century, copyright laws were less defined, allowing for a much broader interpretation of the term, he proved his case beyond any reasonable doubt.. And I shall be available (for so long as Goggle Groups permits) to support Mr. Poe's argument.

However, if you only wish to persist in your false claim that NancyGene made said accusation, I have no interest in pursuing the matter any further.

NancyGene posted Mr. Longfellow's poem -- along with some notes of interest regarding it (one of which was that Mr. Poe had claimed that said poem had been plagiarized from Mr. Tennyson). She made no claims as to whether she felt Mr. Poe justified in having done so.

Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

<dd872055-5685-48e5-a8fa-555edb3ef79fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=244943&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244943

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 06:48:03 -0800 (PST)
From: will.dockery@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 14:48 UTC

> [...]
> > > The Death of the Old Year / Alfred Tennyson:
> > > https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2012/12/old-year-tennyson.html
> > >
> > > By a strike of good luck, I was able to find videos of the same guy, Brad Craft, reading both poems.
> >
> > FYI: If NancyGene accused Longfellow of plagiarizing Tennyson, she would have had ample reason for doing so. No less a literary figure than Edgar A. Poe accused him of doing so as well: "The 'Midnight Mass for the Dying Year' is a singular admixture of CORDELIA’S death scene in 'LEAR' and TENNYSON’S 'Death of the Old Year.' A more palpable plagiarism was never committed." Review of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Poems (Text-02), Aristidean, April 1845, pp. 130-142
> That's the same quote, and the same argument from authority, as NastyGoon: "Longfellow's a PLAGIARIST because Edgar Allan Pedo said so!"

And from NancyGene, as expected, *crickets*

And so it goes.

Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

<1d98e74f-ddf7-4895-a2f6-09a7f503aa3bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=244974&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244974

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 12:54:10 -0800 (PST)
From: vhugofan@gmail.com (Faraway Star)
 by: Faraway Star - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 20:54 UTC

> [...]
> > > The Death of the Old Year / Alfred Tennyson:
> > > https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2012/12/old-year-tennyson.html
> > >
> > > By a strike of good luck, I was able to find videos of the same guy, Brad Craft, reading both poems.
> >
> > FYI: If NancyGene accused Longfellow of plagiarizing Tennyson, she would have had ample reason for doing so. No less a literary figure than Edgar A. Poe accused him of doing so as well: "The 'Midnight Mass for the Dying Year' is a singular admixture of CORDELIA’S death scene in 'LEAR' and TENNYSON’S 'Death of the Old Year.' A more palpable plagiarism was never committed." Review of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Poems (Text-02), Aristidean, April 1845, pp. 130-142
> That's the same quote, and the same argument from authority, as NastyGoon: "Longfellow's a PLAGIARIST because Edgar Allan Pedo said so!"

Well put and nailed, G.D.

Re: PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

<7ad5e9c71e1b390b7b3f45800781ff8b@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=245831&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#245831

From: will.dockery@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 02:54:40 +0000
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 02:54 UTC

Faraway Star wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 19, 2023 at 4:45:13 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:

>> > Assuming that either of us have ever changed our position on a given topic, we would have done as the result of having acquired additional knowledge on the same.
>> There's no reason to think that NastyGoon changed their "position" on Longfellow being a plagiarist. More likely, they just forgot they'd called him one.
>> > That is how the accumulation of knowledge works. The introduction of new facts can recast one's understanding of a given topic in a thoroughly different light.
>> >
>> > A wise individual, having taken this new knowledge into account, will modify their opinions accordingly.
>> >
>> > Conversely, a fool will stick by the same opinion, even in the face of new information to the contrary.
>> >
>> > But then, you haven't shown any evidence -- nor even pointed out any specific instances -- of either of us having argued different sides of the same point.
>> Your "reading compression" is as bad as ever, Michael. That was "something Rand said in the 60s about college-age youth" -- nothing to do with you.
>> > The closest you've come is in claiming that NancyGene had accused Longfellow of plagiarism -- without having provided any evidence of her having done so.
>> Lying Michael likes to use the "no evidence" lie (though usually after NG deletes their posts). Fortunately, this time the evidence is still in the archives (meaning that NG hasn't deleted it yet):
>> "Did Longfellow plagiarize from Tennyson? Yes, according to Poe."
>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/_B6J_TSgTNI/m/LBE9v7GGAgAJ?hl=en

>> > FYI: If NancyGene accused Longfellow of plagiarizing Tennyson, she would have had ample reason for doing so. No less a literary figure than Edgar A. Poe accused him of doing so as well: "The 'Midnight Mass for the Dying Year' is a singular admixture of CORDELIA’S death scene in 'LEAR' and TENNYSON’S 'Death of the Old Year.' A more palpable plagiarism was never committed." Review of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Poems (Text-02), Aristidean, April 1845, pp. 130-142
>> That's the same quote, and the same argument from authority, as NastyGoon: "Longfellow's a PLAGIARIST because Edgar Allan Pedo said so!"
>> >

> Well put and nailed, G.D.

And of course...

<Crickets>

😃

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / PPB: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year / Henry Wadsworth Longfellow