You can bear anything if it isn't your own fault. -- Katharine Fullerton Gerould

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: "To The Magic Store...." -- poetry review by Rick Howe

SubjectAuthor
* Re: "To The Magic Store...." -- poetry review by Rick HoweFaraway Star
`- Re: "To The Magic Store...." -- poetry review by Rick HoweWill Dockery

1
Re: "To The Magic Store...." -- poetry review by Rick Howe

<48762e12-f8e5-4f93-8285-708bb4b9996en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=247325&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#247325

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 11:01:09 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: "To The Magic Store...." -- poetry review by Rick Howe
From: vhugofan@gmail.com (Faraway Star)
 by: Faraway Star - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 19:01 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:
> [...]
> > People drift away, some die, and eventually the milieu dissolves. The
> > tone of the book is predominantly one of loss and mourning. In one case
> > the poet later revisits one of his main friends - the speed junkie
> > musician Hugo - and finds he'd been burned in a terrible disaster,/ in a
> > wheelchair and speechless. With its emphasis on the downside of the
> > cycle, To The Magic Store corresponds [mythically speaking] with a
> > decline and fall - maybe not of a /golden age/, since more or less there
> > is only one full-blown golden age in a lifetime, but of some lesser
> > epicycle which never the less exhibits analogous phases of flourishing
> > and decline. Curiously enough, there is no magic store explicitly
> > mentioned in this book. Given the preoccupation with loss and mortality,
> > a suitable title might have been To The Cemetery. Indeed, the climactic
> > verses tell of taking a girl to a graveyard - to see the grave of the
> > guy who died./ We sat there in this graveyard park,/ with a six-pack of
> > beer./ he looked fragile/ as she drunkenly cried./ She looked open/ to
> > my sensibility... But then, as the poem concludes: :I can still
> > remember :her laughing at my poetry :didn't feel so good to me :after
> > I'd been up all night :pouring out my feelings. :I thought she was
> > interesting, :she turned out :she was just a little female fool. :Was
> > not able to put all the components :of my life in place... :my mythology
> > was incomplete. But the title might have a different and more Proustian
> > meaning. The mythology of self, unfulfilled in initial experience [where
> > to be sure such mythologies inevitably represent inconclusive
> > aspirations], might be prolonged through acts of memory; where by poetic
> > magic they may be perfected and internalized - notwithstanding their
> > preliminary frustration in mere circumstances. Perhaps this might shed
> > some light on the mystic quality of a poem like The Ballad of James
> > Collier. A line like I hope some of them are left is perhaps best taken
> > at face value, that is, in its natural sense. Other parts of the poem
> > allude to ghostly reunions - perhaps in some transcendental world where
> > the past continues as a permanent reality - In tiny detail.
>
> > -Rick Howe, Topical Studies #5, January 1 1993. Used by permission.
>
> > I noted the article of this on PPP today, where you'd corrected the typo.
> > I went into your own article, and cut the review there down to the first
> > paragraph, adding a link to the "Magic Store" article at the end. I hope
> > that's OK; if not, of course, you can "Undo" it.
>
> > I'd like to add this one by Rick, a review of a poetry and art chapbook by
> > George Sulzbach:
>
> > https://web.archive.org/web/20170925073614/http://unitedfanzineorganization.weebly.com/uploads/4/5/6/0/4560933/topical4.pdf
>
> > Rick Howe's small press zine Topical Studies #4
>
> > Now that, my friends, is critique.
>
> > I sure miss old Rick Howe, we were room mates for a spell back around 1993 or 1994...!!!

Twas indeed, that's READ poetry critique...

Re: "To The Magic Store...." -- poetry review by Rick Howe

<a7ec6a50-14dd-4950-81d7-bf72a5b48b8fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=247763&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#247763

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 12:18:08 -0800 (PST)
From: will.dockery@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 20:18 UTC

On Saturday, February 10, 2024 at 2:01:11 PM UTC-5, Faraway Star wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > > -Rick Howe, Topical Studies #5, January 1 1993. Used by permission.
> >
> > > I noted the article of this on PPP today, where you'd corrected the typo.
> > > I went into your own article, and cut the review there down to the first
> > > paragraph, adding a link to the "Magic Store" article at the end. I hope
> > > that's OK; if not, of course, you can "Undo" it.
> >
> > > I'd like to add this one by Rick, a review of a poetry and art chapbook by
> > > George Sulzbach:
> >
> > > https://web.archive.org/web/20170925073614/http://unitedfanzineorganization.weebly.com/uploads/4/5/6/0/4560933/topical4.pdf
> >
> > > Rick Howe's small press zine Topical Studies #4
> >
> > > Now that, my friends, is critique.
> >
> > > I sure miss old Rick Howe, we were room mates for a spell back around 1993 or 1994...!!!
> > Again, good find.
> >
> > :)
> Twas indeed, that's READ poetry critique...

Good afternoon my friend, I hope you and Mike are having a great day so far..

:)

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: "To The Magic Store...." -- poetry review by Rick Howe