Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: M&A review by Eugene Wolfe

SubjectAuthor
* Re: M&A review by Eugene WolfeWill-Dockery
`* Re: M&A review by Eugene WolfeGeneral-Zod
 +* Re: M&A review by Eugene WolfeW.Dockery
 |`- Re: M&A review by Eugene WolfeGeneral-Zod
 `- Re: M&A review by Eugene WolfeW.Dockery

1
Re: M&A review by Eugene Wolfe

<CvucnfWw04JLvWX4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=248506&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248506

Subject: Re: M&A review by Eugene Wolfe
From: will.dockery@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Will-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 11:09:10 +0000
 by: Will-Dockery - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 11:09 UTC

> Will Dockery wrote:
> "What can I say about Claudette?"
>
> What an incredible event! Seeing the new movie "Masked &
Anonymous"
> with John Goodman, Jessica Lange, Jeff Bridges, Luke Wilson and,
of
> course, Bob Dylan. This all too real, yet impressionistically
surreal
> masterpiece has a surprisingly strong plot (given the view of
several
> critics) and moves smoothly through a colorful montage of powerful
> scenes and deep monologues. All this is interwoven around great
> themes, like god and man and law' with such dexterity that it must
be
> viewed again and again to feast at this table.
>
> As several have already noted, the casting director of the film
went
> straight to the pages of Dylan's songbook to find his characters.
A > most enigmatic and riveting performance is presented by Val
Kilmer's
> captivating cameo as the animal wrangler, who probes the deep
> questions which have always concerned Mr. Zimmerman on the nature
of
> man and his insanity in juxtaposition with the animals. "Man
Gave
> Names To All The Animals." This vignette is truly a movie unto
itself,
> complete with a hat trick.
>
> The character of "Cupid", Luke Wilson, is an especially
interesting
> one, as he seems to be central to the overriding theme of the plot.
In
> many ways Cupid is representative of all Dylan's true fans, loyal,
> faithful, protective and idolizing. When Jack Fate, played by Bob
> Dylan, first hits town, he calls for Cupid, embracing him when he
> arrives. Obviously, in spite of his very rugged and posturing
> demeanor, Dylan still believes in the power of love. With the
> introduction of the completely jaded Tom Friend (Tom Paine?) the
age
> old conflict is on, but don't be too surprised of the twists of
Fate.
> The thematic development of this movie is multi-layered and
fantastic!

> An added highlight of the movie are the superbly done scenes of
Dylan
> and his band performing several of his tunes, many of which, for
> whatever reason, did not make the soundtrack. A new rendition of
> "Drifter's Escape" was a terrific surprise, along with a
memorable.
> Tight, close-up shots get his audience as close to the master as
> anyone ever will!
>
> It would appear to this writer that Zimmy is easing back to his
same
> old used to be, using this medium to present his ideas in an
> aggressive manner. Perhaps Bobby has been knocking at heaven's
door
> too often of late. The unexpected and heart grabbing scene with
> Jessica Lange tuning in a radio broadcast from the very pit of hell
is
> another very powerful moment. The equally poignant and tender scene
of
> the six year old black girl, forced to learn Bob's music by her
white
> mother, is another mini-masterpiece. As she sings "The Times
They Are
> A Changin'" you want to weep with its author.
>
> In short, this is a film which will be discussed long after the man
is
> gone. It is an honest effort on Dylan's part, superbly managed by
> Larry Charles, and interlaced with great tunes from the poet
laureate
> of my lifetime and yours. Find a way to view this film! "I'd
stand in
> line."
>
> Eugene Wolfe

21 years later I suppose we can give his real name, Richard Dukes of
Columbus Georgia.

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=657840650#657840650

Re: M&A review by Eugene Wolfe

<6065e1c5fa3ae59d0e588377124276fb@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=248727&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248727

From: tzod9964@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 18:39:17 +0000
 by: General-Zod - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 18:39 UTC

Will-Dockery wrote:

> [...]
> > another very powerful moment. The equally poignant and tender scene
> of
> > the six year old black girl, forced to learn Bob's music by her
> white
> > mother, is another mini-masterpiece. As she sings "The Times
> They Are
> > A Changin'" you want to weep with its author.
> >
> > In short, this is a film which will be discussed long after the man
> is
> > gone. It is an honest effort on Dylan's part, superbly managed by
> > Larry Charles, and interlaced with great tunes from the poet
> laureate
> > of my lifetime and yours. Find a way to view this film! "I'd
> stand in
> > line."
> >
> > Eugene Wolfe

> 21 years later I suppose we can give his real name, Richard Dukes of

Quite fascinating...!

Re: M&A review by Eugene Wolfe

<ce59b6ede1da4a746ba78e203604b21c@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=248758&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248758

From: will.dockery@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 06:07:45 +0000
 by: W.Dockery - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 06:07 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> [...]

>> > another very powerful moment. The equally poignant and tender scene
>> of
>> > the six year old black girl, forced to learn Bob's music by her
>> white
>> > mother, is another mini-masterpiece. As she sings "The Times
>> They Are
>> > A Changin'" you want to weep with its author.
>> >
>> > In short, this is a film which will be discussed long after the man
>> is
>> > gone. It is an honest effort on Dylan's part, superbly managed by
>> > Larry Charles, and interlaced with great tunes from the poet
>> laureate
>> > of my lifetime and yours. Find a way to view this film! "I'd
>> stand in
>> > line."
>> >
>> > Eugene Wolfe

>> 21 years later I suppose we can give his real name, Richard Dukes of

Amazingly, I ran into Rick Dukes at the library yesterday, and I'm sending him this link now.

Re: M&A review by Eugene Wolfe

<213a58d46df1e237bead5d3988e07ca0@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=248763&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248763

From: tzod9964@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 18:58:35 +0000
 by: General-Zod - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 18:58 UTC

Groovy...!

Re: M&A review by Eugene Wolfe

<c686c21548b17c0aeab044ab68752d4d@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=248801&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248801

From: will.dockery@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 06:56:11 +0000
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 06:56 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> [...]

>> > another very powerful moment. The equally poignant and tender scene
>> of
>> > the six year old black girl, forced to learn Bob's music by her
>> white
>> > mother, is another mini-masterpiece. As she sings "The Times
>> They Are
>> > A Changin'" you want to weep with its author.
>> >
>> > In short, this is a film which will be discussed long after the man
>> is
>> > gone. It is an honest effort on Dylan's part, superbly managed by
>> > Larry Charles, and interlaced with great tunes from the poet
>> laureate
>> > of my lifetime and yours. Find a way to view this film! "I'd
>> stand in
>> > line."
>> >
>> > Eugene Wolfe

>> 21 years later I suppose we can give his real name, Richard Dukes of

Yes, I'd like to get Rick Dukes to join this group.