Subject: Re: Bob Dylan
From: will.dockery@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Will-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 05:49:56 +0000
 by: Will-Dockery - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 05:49 UTC

> > General-Zod wrote:
> >

> > "With a Qu**r in my rear."
> >

> % wrote:
>

> lol

Your confession is noted, %.

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=659059778#659059778

Re: Bob Dylan

<a4fec59267cc3aace0ee626d0884aab1@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=249048&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#249048

From: tzod9964@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 22:48:09 +0000
 by: General-Zod - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 22:48 UTC

Will-Dockery wrote:

> > > General-Zod wrote:
> > >

> > > "With a Qu**r in my rear."
> > >

> > % wrote:
> >

> > lol

> Your confession is noted, %.

> This is a response to the post seen at:
> http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=659059778#659059778

What a dipshit troll... ha ha.

Re: Bob Dylan / Confessions of a Yakuza

<52a28b451e3bde5d49b7f1a61d2f8675@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=249078&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#249078

From: tzod9964@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Subject: Re: Bob Dylan / Confessions of a Yakuza
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 21:19:44 +0000
 by: General-Zod - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 21:19 UTC

Thank you Rachel for the great book...!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_and_Theft_(Bob_Dylan_album)

Love and Theft generated controversy when some similarities between the album's lyrics and Japanese writer Junichi Saga's book Confessions of a Yakuza were pointed out.[47][48][49] Translated to English by John Bester, the book is a biography of one of the last traditional yakuza bosses in Japan. In the article published in the Journal, a line from "Floater" ("I'm not quite as cool or forgiving as I sound") was traced to a line in the book, which said "I'm not as cool or forgiving as I might have sounded." Another line from "Floater" is "My old man, he's like some feudal lord". One line in the book's first chapter is, "My old man would sit there like a feudal lord." However, when informed of this, author Saga's reaction was one of having been honored rather than abused from Dylan's use of lines from his work.[50] Similarly, in defense of Dylan, Robert Christgau wrote: "All pop music is love and theft, and in 40 years of records whose sources have inspired volumes of scholastic exegesis, Dylan has never embraced that truth so warmly."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessions_of_a_Yakuza

It was reported that some lines from Bob Dylan's 2001 album Love and Theft were "borrowed" from the book for songs.[4] [5][6] Some examples appeared in an article published in Journal, which indicated a line from "Floater" ("I'm not quite as cool or forgiving as I sound") was traced to a line in the book, which said "I'm not as cool or forgiving as I might have sounded." Another line from "Floater" is "My old man, he's like some feudal lord." The beginning of the book contains the line "My old man would sit there like a feudal lord."

When informed of the possibility that Dylan had lifted material from the book, Saga said he was honored that Dylan might have read and been inspired by Confessions of a Yakuza. He said "Please say hello to Bob Dylan for me because I am very flattered and very happy to hear this news."[7][6]

Dylan has admitted to quoting the lines, but claims that such quotations are done to "enrich" folk and jazz music

Re: Bob Dylan / Confessions of a Yakuza

<7ec8c54ed3fc57ce6b9b8552758bda3d@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=249094&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#249094

From: will.dockery@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 13:54:16 +0000
 by: W.Dockery - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 13:54 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Thank you Rachel for the great book...!

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_and_Theft_(Bob_Dylan_album)

> Love and Theft generated controversy when some similarities between the album's lyrics and Japanese writer Junichi Saga's book Confessions of a Yakuza were pointed out.[47][48][49] Translated to English by John Bester, the book is a biography of one of the last traditional yakuza bosses in Japan. In the article published in the Journal, a line from "Floater" ("I'm not quite as cool or forgiving as I sound") was traced to a line in the book, which said "I'm not as cool or forgiving as I might have sounded." Another line from "Floater" is "My old man, he's like some feudal lord". One line in the book's first chapter is, "My old man would sit there like a feudal lord." However, when informed of this, author Saga's reaction was one of having been honored rather than abused from Dylan's use of lines from his work.[50] Similarly, in defense of Dylan, Robert Christgau wrote: "All pop music is love and theft, and in 40 years of records whose sources have inspired volumes of scholastic exegesis, Dylan has never embraced that truth so warmly."

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessions_of_a_Yakuza

> It was reported that some lines from Bob Dylan's 2001 album Love and Theft were "borrowed" from the book for songs.[4] [5][6] Some examples appeared in an article published in Journal, which indicated a line from "Floater" ("I'm not quite as cool or forgiving as I sound") was traced to a line in the book, which said "I'm not as cool or forgiving as I might have sounded." Another line from "Floater" is "My old man, he's like some feudal lord." The beginning of the book contains the line "My old man would sit there like a feudal lord."

> When informed of the possibility that Dylan had lifted material from the book, Saga said he was honored that Dylan might have read and been inspired by Confessions of a Yakuza. He said "Please say hello to Bob Dylan for me because I am very flattered and very happy to hear this news."[7][6]

> Dylan has admitted to quoting the lines, but claims that such quotations are don..e to "enrich" folk and jazz music

I remember this well.