From: will.dockery@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Subject: Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 07:11:10 +0000
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 07:11 UTC

Zod wrote:

> The full story....

> http://www.nathanielturner.com/candelightvigilforahmoszubolton.htm

> https://pennyspoetry.fandom.com/wiki/Ahmos_Zu-Bolton#Poet_In_Residence

> ***

> ************************************************Poet In Residence
> "I linger here for the mountains the waters, and the shadows only … this tribe ain’t mine." -Ahmos Zu-Bolton

> Zu-Bolton was an African-American Beat poet of the 1970s who touched lives as a “poet” in the classrooms of Virginia, Georgia and Texas. He was instrumental to college campuses adding new bodies of thought about poetry and color, as a writer of poetry collections such as Fishpond Australia, Ain't No Spring Chicken, Hoo-Doo, and A N*ggered Amen, which was published December 1, 1975. Ahmos Zu-Bolton was Resident Poet and advisor for the student publication Pegasus Literary Journal 1976 at George Washington Carver High School (Columbus, Georgia) in Columbus, Georgia in the spring of 1976, for the class of Dan Barfield, where he met, taught and was a major influence on the life and poetry of Will Dockery, and, the next year, Grace Cavalieri.

> Cavalieri: "In 1977 he took my first full-length poetry book Body Fluids for distribution and sent me the first check I ever received for poetry. I think it was $7.00 or $8.00. He reached across race to include me. Connections. Interconnectedness is more like it."[8]

> In Washington, D.C., Ethelbert Miller became his historian. Zu-Bolton was co-director to Ethelbert Miller's Directorship of the Afro American Resource Center at Howard University; and, there still exists in D.C. a community of poets who will always revere and love him. He teamed up with artists in New Orleans, Galveston, Austin and Houston to produce his HooDoo Festivals.

> While living in New Orleans he taught English, African American Studies and Creative Writing at Xavier University, Tulane University and Delgado Community College. He was Visiting Writer in Residence at University of Missouri.. When Zu Bolton died in 2005, that college held a candlelight vigil. And, he connected with the old as well as the young: he and his wife, poet Harryette Mullen, worked with senior citizens in 1978, teaching and encouraging their life stories.*********************************************************

> ***

Which has now been proven.

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976

<466558d8e0301b7823a64b9e18282e71@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=249357&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#249357

From: will.dockery@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:19:02 +0000
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:19 UTC

Ahmos Zu-Bolton was a friend ( they met in the Army, Vietnam) of Carver High School English teacher Dan Barfield in 1976.
Barfield would bring him to the class to speak and workshop as Poet In Residence. I don't seem to find many fellow students who remember him, I do because he gave me some good tips on writing poetry. Mainly "Be real, be honest."

Here's an Ahmos Zu-Bolton poem:https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=248811&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248811