From: George J. Dance@novabbs.com.invalid (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Subject: PPB: Darkness / Lord Byron
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 15:53:03 +0000
 by: George J. Dance - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 15:53 UTC

Sunday's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
Darkness, by Lord Byron

I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space,
Rayless, and pathless, and the icy earth
Swung blind and blackening in the moonless air
[...]

(read by Tom O'Bedlam)

https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2024/04/darkness-lord-byron.html

#pennyspoems

Re: PPB: Darkness / Lord Byron

<308b73876b6b7704559d8c020117763c@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=248958&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248958

From: tzod9964@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Subject: Re: PPB: Darkness / Lord Byron
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 18:19:04 +0000
 by: General-Zod - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 18:19 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Sunday's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> Darkness, by Lord Byron

> I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
> The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
> Did wander darkling in the eternal space,
> Rayless, and pathless, and the icy earth
> Swung blind and blackening in the moonless air
> [...]

> (read by Tom O'Bedlam)

> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2024/04/darkness-lord-byron.html

> #pennyspoems

Loving that Lord Byron shuffle...!

Re: PPB: Darkness / Lord Byron

<e400476534283fe846ef91fceadf81df@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=249103&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#249103

From: George J. Dance@novabbs.com.invalid (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 23:07:47 +0000
 by: George J. Dance - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 23:07 UTC

General-Zod wrote:
> George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> Sunday's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>> Darkness, by Lord Byron

>> I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
>> The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
>> Did wander darkling in the eternal space,
>> Rayless, and pathless, and the icy earth
>> Swung blind and blackening in the moonless air
>> [...]

>> (read by Tom O'Bedlam)

>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2024/04/darkness-lord-byron.html

>> #pennyspoems

> Loving that Lord Byron shuffle...!

It's rather edgy, compared to our usual fare - more like a Halloween poem (and I've put it into that topic), but it's on the blog now because it was at least in part inspired by a solar eclipse.

"Byron wrote “Darkness” in July-August 1816. The poem is at least partly influenced by the mass hysteria of the time brought about by an Italian astronomer’s prediction that the sun would burn itself out on July 18th, thus destroying the world. The prophecy gained adherents due to the increase in sunspot activity at the time and the so-called “year without a summer” of 1816—an ongoing overcast sky which was a result (unknown at the time) of the eruption of Mount Tambora, an Indonesian volcano, in 1815. During this gloomy time, the sun was pale and the sky clouded and hazy. Temperatures dropped and thunderstorms dominated the weather. During the solar eclipse of June 9th-10th, the sun actually seemed to vanish from the sky."

https://www.gradesaver.com/lord-byrons-poems/study-guide/summary-darkness

Re: PPB: Darkness / Lord Byron

<16836da3d526d4af819b500c553a589d@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=249108&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#249108

From: will.dockery@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 06:47:17 +0000
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 06:47 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> General-Zod wrote:
>> George J. Dance wrote:
>>>
>>> Sunday's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>>> Darkness, by Lord Byron

>>> I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
>>> The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
>>> Did wander darkling in the eternal space,
>>> Rayless, and pathless, and the icy earth
>>> Swung blind and blackening in the moonless air
>>> [...]

>>> (read by Tom O'Bedlam)

>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2024/04/darkness-lord-byron.html

>>> #pennyspoems

>> Loving that Lord Byron shuffle...!

> It's rather edgy, compared to our usual fare - more like a Halloween poem (and I've put it into that topic), but it's on the blog now because it was at least in part inspired by a solar eclipse.

> "Byron wrote “Darkness” in July-August 1816. The poem is at least partly influenced by the mass hysteria of the time brought about by an Italian astronomer’s prediction that the sun would burn itself out on July 18th, thus destroying the world. The prophecy gained adherents due to the increase in sunspot activity at the time and the so-called “year without a summer” of 1816—an ongoing overcast sky which was a result (unknown at the time) of the eruption of Mount Tambora, an Indonesian volcano, in 1815. During this gloomy time, the sun was pale and the sky clouded and hazy. Temperatures dropped and thunderstorms dominated the weather. During the solar eclipse of June 9th-10th, the sun actually seemed to vanish from the sky."

> https://www.gradesaver.com/lord-byrons-poems/study-guide/summary-darkness

Excellent information.

Re: PPB: Darkness / Lord Byron

<f2986ac64cf36117c5bd7c34311016b2@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=249176&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#249176

From: tzod9964@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:14:01 +0000
 by: General-Zod - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:14 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> General-Zod wrote:
>> George J. Dance wrote:
>>>
>>> Sunday's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>>> Darkness, by Lord Byron

>>> I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
>>> The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
>>> Did wander darkling in the eternal space,
>>> Rayless, and pathless, and the icy earth
>>> Swung blind and blackening in the moonless air
>>> [...]

>>> (read by Tom O'Bedlam)

>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2024/04/darkness-lord-byron.html

>>> #pennyspoems

>> Loving that Lord Byron shuffle...!

> It's rather edgy, compared to our usual fare - more like a Halloween poem (and I've put it into that topic), but it's on the blog now because it was at least in part inspired by a solar eclipse.

> "Byron wrote “Darkness” in July-August 1816. The poem is at least partly influenced by the mass hysteria of the time brought about by an Italian astronomer’s prediction that the sun would burn itself out on July 18th, thus destroying the world. The prophecy gained adherents due to the increase in sunspot activity at the time and the so-called “year without a summer” of 1816—an ongoing overcast sky which was a result (unknown at the time) of the eruption of Mount Tambora, an Indonesian volcano, in 1815. During this gloomy time, the sun was pale and the sky clouded and hazy. Temperatures dropped and thunderstorms dominated the weather. During the solar eclipse of June 9th-10th, the sun actually seemed to vanish from the sky."

> https://www.gradesaver.com/lord-byrons-poems/study-guide/summary-darkness

kOOL

Re: PPB: Darkness / Lord Byron

<3aa30983251e7931ee13037d6285f0ac@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=249217&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#249217

From: will.dockery@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:42:18 +0000
 by: W.Dockery - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:42 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:

>> General-Zod wrote:

>>> Loving that Lord Byron shuffle...!

>> It's rather edgy, compared to our usual fare - more like a Halloween poem (and I've put it into that topic), but it's on the blog now because it was at least in part inspired by a solar eclipse.

>> "Byron wrote “Darkness” in July-August 1816. The poem is at least partly influenced by the mass hysteria of the time brought about by an Italian astronomer’s prediction that the sun would burn itself out on July 18th, thus destroying the world. The prophecy gained adherents due to the increase in sunspot activity at the time and the so-called “year without a summer” of 1816—an ongoing overcast sky which was a result (unknown at the time) of the eruption of Mount Tambora, an Indonesian volcano, in 1815. During this gloomy time, the sun was pale and the sky clouded and hazy. Temperatures dropped and thunderstorms dominated the weather. During the solar eclipse of June 9th-10th, the sun actually seemed to vanish from the sky."

>> https://www.gradesaver.com/lord-byrons-poems/study-guide/summary-darkness

> kOOL

Agreed.