"Money is the root of all money." -- the moving finger

arts / rec.music.folk / Re: Billy Sutton -- Not a Word

SubjectAuthor
* Billy Sutton -- Not a WordDavid Dalton
+* Billy Sutton -- Not a WordDavid Dalton
|`* Billy Sutton -- Not a WordDavid Dalton
| `- Billy Sutton -- Not a WordDavid Dalton
`* Billy Sutton -- Not a WordDavid Dalton
 `- Billy Sutton -- Not a WordDavid Dalton

1
Billy Sutton -- Not a Word

<0001HW.2AB7F061005A516F70000834E38F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=265&group=rec.music.folk#265

From: dalton@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: nf.general, rec.music.celtic, rec.music.folk, uk.music.folk, rec.music.makers.squeezebox, rec.music.makers.bowed-strings
Subject: Billy Sutton -- Not a Word
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 00:11:37 -0230
 by: David Dalton - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 02:41 UTC

When I was at Féile Séamus Creagh, https://www.nltradfest.com/ ,
which I highly recommend as an intimate low-cost indoor
world-class Celtic festival, a bit more than a week ago, I
picked up the instrumental CD by Billy Sutton entitled
Not a Word.

On it, Billy plays button accordion, fiddle, tenor banjo, mandolin,
bodhran, guitars, mandocello, bouzouki, and bass guitar, and
composed, performed, recorded and mixed all the music (it
was mastered by Jason Whelan).

It consists of sets of

Newfoundland singles
Slow reels
Slides
A waltz
A march
Barndances
Jigs
Mazurkas
Reels
A slow air

Anyway, I highly recommend the recording, and recommend
the tunes to any players looking for new material.

At the festival, Billy played as part of the trio Miscellany of Folk,
which also includes Benny McCarthy and Eddie Costello
from Ireland (Billy is from Newfoundland). (He also filled
in for Aaron Collis who was sick with Covid, in playing
with Emilia Bartellas.) Miscellany of Folk are working
on a recording which promises to be very good. Billy
is also a regular session host here in St. John’s, Newfoundland.

"For she is the perfect creature, natural in every feature
And I am the geek with the alchemists' stone" (Jimmy MacCarthy)

Re: Billy Sutton -- Not a Word

<0001HW.2AB7F22C005ABCF170000834E38F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=266&group=rec.music.folk#266

From: dalton@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: nf.general, rec.music.celtic, rec.music.folk, uk.music.folk, rec.music.makers.squeezebox, rec.music.makers.bowed-strings
Subject: Re: Billy Sutton -- Not a Word
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 00:19:16 -0230
 by: David Dalton - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 02:49 UTC

On Sep 18, 2023, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2AB7F061005A516F70000834E38F@news.eternal-september.org>):

> When I was at Féile Séamus Creagh, https://www.nltradfest.com/ ,
> which I highly recommend as an intimate low-cost indoor
> world-class Celtic festival, a bit more than a week ago, I
> picked up the instrumental CD by Billy Sutton entitled
> Not a Word.
>
> On it, Billy plays button accordion, fiddle, tenor banjo, mandolin,
> bodhran, guitars, mandocello, bouzouki, and bass guitar, and
> composed, performed, recorded and mixed all the music (it
> was mastered by Jason Whelan).
>
> It consists of sets of
>
> Newfoundland singles
> Slow reels
> Slides
> A waltz
> A march
> Barndances
> Jigs
> Mazurkas
> Reels
> A slow air
>
> Anyway, I highly recommend the recording, and recommend
> the tunes to any players looking for new material.
>
> At the festival, Billy played as part of the trio Miscellany of Folk,
> which also includes Benny McCarthy and Eddie Costello
> from Ireland (Billy is from Newfoundland). (He also filled
> in for Aaron Collis who was sick with Covid, in playing
> with Emilia Bartellas.) Miscellany of Folk are working
> on a recording which promises to be very good. Billy
> is also a regular session host here in St. John’s, Newfoundland.

Billy’s web site is https://billysutton.net/ and you can
download the tunes for Can$9.99 (US$7.39) or
both download them and get the physical CD for
Can$20 (US$14.80). OK, he owes me a pint
of beer. (Just kidding, I haven’t spoken to him much
since my old days as an Erin’s Pub regular.)

"For she is the perfect creature, natural in every feature
And I am the geek with the alchemists' stone" (Jimmy MacCarthy)

Re: Billy Sutton -- Not a Word

<0001HW.2AB95108000B0F0D700008C9638F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=267&group=rec.music.folk#267

From: dalton@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: nf.general, rec.music.celtic, rec.music.folk, uk.music.folk, rec.music.makers.squeezebox, rec.music.makers.bowed-strings
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 01:16:16 -0230
 by: David Dalton - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 03:46 UTC

On Sep 18, 2023, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2AB7F22C005ABCF170000834E38F@news.eternal-september.org>):

> On Sep 18, 2023, David Dalton wrote
> (in article<0001HW.2AB7F061005A516F70000834E38F@news.eternal-september.org>):
>
> > When I was at Féile Séamus Creagh, https://www.nltradfest.com/ ,
> > which I highly recommend as an intimate low-cost indoor
> > world-class Celtic festival, a bit more than a week ago, I
> > picked up the instrumental CD by Billy Sutton entitled
> > Not a Word.
> >
> > On it, Billy plays button accordion, fiddle, tenor banjo, mandolin,
> > bodhran, guitars, mandocello, bouzouki, and bass guitar, and
> > composed, performed, recorded and mixed all the music (it
> > was mastered by Jason Whelan).
> >
> > It consists of sets of
> >
> > Newfoundland singles
> > Slow reels
> > Slides
> > A waltz
> > A march
> > Barndances
> > Jigs
> > Mazurkas
> > Reels
> > A slow air
> >
> > Anyway, I highly recommend the recording, and recommend
> > the tunes to any players looking for new material.
> >
> > At the festival, Billy played as part of the trio Miscellany of Folk,
> > which also includes Benny McCarthy and Eddie Costello
> > from Ireland (Billy is from Newfoundland). (He also filled
> > in for Aaron Collis who was sick with Covid, in playing
> > with Emilia Bartellas.) Miscellany of Folk are working
> > on a recording which promises to be very good. Billy
> > is also a regular session host here in St. John’s, Newfoundland.
>
> Billy’s web site is https://billysutton.net/ and you can
> download the tunes for Can$9.99 (US$7.39) or
> both download them and get the physical CD for
> Can$20 (US$14.80). OK, he owes me a pint
> of beer. (Just kidding, I haven’t spoken to him much
> since my old days as an Erin’s Pub regular.)

You can stream the first track, the Singles,
under the Music tab on the website, for free.

"For she is the perfect creature, natural in every feature
And I am the geek with the alchemists' stone" (Jimmy MacCarthy)

Re: Billy Sutton -- Not a Word

<0001HW.2AB9523B000B572F700008C9638F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=268&group=rec.music.folk#268

From: dalton@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: nf.general, rec.music.celtic, rec.music.folk, uk.music.folk, rec.music.makers.squeezebox, rec.music.makers.bowed-strings
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 01:21:23 -0230
 by: David Dalton - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 03:51 UTC

On Sep 19, 2023, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2AB95108000B0F0D700008C9638F@news.eternal-september.org>):

> On Sep 18, 2023, David Dalton wrote
> (in article<0001HW.2AB7F22C005ABCF170000834E38F@news.eternal-september.org>):
>
> > On Sep 18, 2023, David Dalton wrote
> > (in article<0001HW.2AB7F061005A516F70000834E38F@news.eternal-september.org>)
> > :
> >
> > > When I was at Féile Séamus Creagh, https://www.nltradfest.com/ ,
> > > which I highly recommend as an intimate low-cost indoor
> > > world-class Celtic festival, a bit more than a week ago, I
> > > picked up the instrumental CD by Billy Sutton entitled
> > > Not a Word.
> > >
> > > On it, Billy plays button accordion, fiddle, tenor banjo, mandolin,
> > > bodhran, guitars, mandocello, bouzouki, and bass guitar, and
> > > composed, performed, recorded and mixed all the music (it
> > > was mastered by Jason Whelan).
> > >
> > > It consists of sets of
> > >
> > > Newfoundland singles
> > > Slow reels
> > > Slides
> > > A waltz
> > > A march
> > > Barndances
> > > Jigs
> > > Mazurkas
> > > Reels
> > > A slow air
> > >
> > > Anyway, I highly recommend the recording, and recommend
> > > the tunes to any players looking for new material.
> > >
> > > At the festival, Billy played as part of the trio Miscellany of Folk,
> > > which also includes Benny McCarthy and Eddie Costello
> > > from Ireland (Billy is from Newfoundland). (He also filled
> > > in for Aaron Collis who was sick with Covid, in playing
> > > with Emilia Bartellas.) Miscellany of Folk are working
> > > on a recording which promises to be very good. Billy
> > > is also a regular session host here in St. John’s, Newfoundland.
> >
> > Billy’s web site is https://billysutton.net/ and you can
> > download the tunes for Can$9.99 (US$7.39) or
> > both download them and get the physical CD for
> > Can$20 (US$14.80). OK, he owes me a pint
> > of beer. (Just kidding, I haven’t spoken to him much
> > since my old days as an Erin’s Pub regular.)
>
> You can stream the first track, the Singles,
> under the Music tab on the website, for free.

Actually no, you can stream the first 30 seconds of
each of the ten tracks for free.

"For she is the perfect creature, natural in every feature
And I am the geek with the alchemists' stone" (Jimmy MacCarthy)

Re: Billy Sutton -- Not a Word

<0001HW.2AC7BF83010E399070000B13738F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=270&group=rec.music.folk#270

From: dalton@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: nf.general, rec.music.celtic, rec.music.folk, uk.music.folk, rec.music.makers.squeezebox, rec.music.makers.bowed-strings
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 23:59:23 -0230
 by: David Dalton - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 02:29 UTC

On Sep 18, 2023, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2AB7F061005A516F70000834E38F@news.eternal-september.org>):

> When I was at Féile Séamus Creagh, https://www.nltradfest.com/ ,
> which I highly recommend as an intimate low-cost indoor
> world-class Celtic festival, a bit more than a week ago, I
> picked up the instrumental CD by Billy Sutton entitled
> Not a Word.
>
> On it, Billy plays button accordion, fiddle, tenor banjo, mandolin,
> bodhran, guitars, mandocello, bouzouki, and bass guitar, and
> composed, performed, recorded and mixed all the music (it
> was mastered by Jason Whelan).
>
> It consists of sets of
>
> Newfoundland singles
> Slow reels
> Slides
> A waltz
> A march
> Barndances
> Jigs
> Mazurkas
> Reels
> A slow air
>
> Anyway, I highly recommend the recording, and recommend
> the tunes to any players looking for new material.
>
> At the festival, Billy played as part of the trio Miscellany of Folk,
> which also includes Benny McCarthy and Eddie Costello
> from Ireland (Billy is from Newfoundland). (He also filled
> in for Aaron Collis who was sick with Covid, in playing
> with Emilia Bartellas.) Miscellany of Folk are working
> on a recording which promises to be very good. Billy
> is also a regular session host here in St. John’s, Newfoundland.

The Miscellany of Folk album Atlantic Sounds is now out
and can be streamed or downloaded through

https://songwhip.com/miscellanyoffolk/atlantic-sounds

"And the cart is on a wheel; And the wheel is on a hill
And the hill is shifting sand; And inside these laws we stand” (Ferron)

Re: Billy Sutton -- Not a Word

<0001HW.2ACCFC91003D50F070000F19238F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=271&group=rec.music.folk#271

From: dalton@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: nf.general, rec.music.celtic, rec.music.folk, uk.music.folk, rec.music.makers.squeezebox, rec.music.makers.bowed-strings
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2023 23:21:13 -0230
 by: David Dalton - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 01:51 UTC

On Sep 29, 2023, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2AC7BF83010E399070000B13738F@news.eternal-september.org>):

> On Sep 18, 2023, David Dalton wrote
> (in article<0001HW.2AB7F061005A516F70000834E38F@news.eternal-september.org>):
>
> > When I was at Féile Séamus Creagh, https://www.nltradfest.com/ ,
> > which I highly recommend as an intimate low-cost indoor
> > world-class Celtic festival, a bit more than a week ago, I
> > picked up the instrumental CD by Billy Sutton entitled
> > Not a Word.
> >
> > On it, Billy plays button accordion, fiddle, tenor banjo, mandolin,
> > bodhran, guitars, mandocello, bouzouki, and bass guitar, and
> > composed, performed, recorded and mixed all the music (it
> > was mastered by Jason Whelan).
> >
> > It consists of sets of
> >
> > Newfoundland singles
> > Slow reels
> > Slides
> > A waltz
> > A march
> > Barndances
> > Jigs
> > Mazurkas
> > Reels
> > A slow air
> >
> > Anyway, I highly recommend the recording, and recommend
> > the tunes to any players looking for new material.
> >
> > At the festival, Billy played as part of the trio Miscellany of Folk,
> > which also includes Benny McCarthy and Eddie Costello
> > from Ireland (Billy is from Newfoundland). (He also filled
> > in for Aaron Collis who was sick with Covid, in playing
> > with Emilia Bartellas.) Miscellany of Folk are working
> > on a recording which promises to be very good. Billy
> > is also a regular session host here in St. John’s, Newfoundland.
>
> The Miscellany of Folk album Atlantic Sounds is now out
> and can be streamed or downloaded through
>
> https://songwhip.com/miscellanyoffolk/atlantic-sounds

I’l post again when I learn that the physical CD has been
released and of a source, e.g. Fred’s Records.